Beef ribs

Buzzrock

26 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Thanks man.  It is really confusing, I always equated smoke ring to smoke penetration in the meat. I assumed my previous attempts were due to the shorter smoke times, but this went 8 hours and still nothing. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong. It was amazing only having to go out there to spritz the meat every hour or so late in the cook.  

The smoke ring is useless, thus sayeth Daniel Vaughn:

The Science of the Smoke Ring

And why it has no bearing on the quality of brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-science-of-the-smoke-ring/

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Smoke ring is from nitrogen oxide in smoke reacting with the myoglobin in meat.  There is a narrow temperature band that this reaction occurs.  My guess would be the insulated smoker is too efficient and the meat isn’t cool enough for long enough to develop the smoke ring.

Here is a detailed explanation of the science behind smoke rings:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Not criticizing but got damn that looks like 220 degree ribs.

I don't know what that means, but if I'm honest, I had a brain fart in the process and closed off my WSM vents for 30 minutes and had to get it all back up to temp.  So I had a bit of a long stall with a 10 degree temp drop around the 185F range.  Either way, they turned out pretty well, but definitely not my best effort.  Not DAF, thankfully.  Cooked between 240--260ish pit temps and pulled at 205.  No wrap.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I don't know what that means, but if I'm honest, I had a brain fart in the process and closed off my WSM vents for 30 minutes and had to reboot.  Either way, they turned out pretty well, but definitely not my best effort.  Cooked between 240--260ish and pulled at 205.  No wrap.

Gotcha. They just looked 220ish. Which some people do like. Wasn’t knocking you at all bro.

Just now, markstanco said:

Gotcha. They just looked 220ish. Which some people do like. Wasn’t knocking you at all bro.

It's cool.  Do you mean cooked at 220 or pulled at 220?  They definitely went low cook temp for a while when I was being dumb.  Cook went way longer than it should have.  I usually don't go too hot and fast though.  I just let the WSM do the WSM thing, which is around 240F in my case.

It's cool.  Do you mean cooked at 220 or pulled at 220?  They definitely went low cook temp for a while when I was being dumb.  Cook went way longer than it should have.  I usually don't go too hot and fast though.  I just let the WSM do the WSM thing, which is around 240F in my case.

I am by far no expert on here but have cooked them for 10 years on the BGE. At 165 I pull off open heat and do the texas crutch with wrapping with foil and adding some beer in the foil for moisture. Cook to 195-200 and then immediately pull off and place in a yeti cooler for 30 minutes to an hour. They should heat up another 5-10 degrees and also the juices will go back to the outside of the meat that was charred.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I am by far no expert on here but have cooked them for 10 years on the BGE. At 165 I pull off open heat and do the texas crutch with wrapping with foil and adding some beer in the foil for moisture. Cook to 195-200 and then immediately pull off and place in a yeti cooler for 30 minutes to an hour. They should heat up another 5-10 degrees and also the juices will go back to the outside of the meat that was charred.

I usually cook them like (unwrapped brisket) based on the Franklin video.  These rested for about an hour, then went into a cooler for about 5 hours before serving.  Seems to work okay, but I always can take some suggestions for next time.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I usually cook them like (unwrapped brisket) based on the Franklin video.  These rested for about an hour, then went into a cooler for about 5 hours before serving.  Seems to work okay, but I always can take some suggestions for next time.

Oh I wrap with paper as well. A giant roll on Amazon is like 3.0 dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked the dust off of my WSM yesterday with plans to smoke a pork butt for my wife’s birthday. Saw some beef back ribs at Costco and decided to give it a shot. 

must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Ribs turned out great at about 5 hours. Didn’t grab any clean pics, but caught this before they were devoured. Don’t look the greatest but they were tender and juicy with good flavor. I think this might be my new go-to cook when I don’t have to feed an army. 

F217BA43-41CA-48A3-A08E-7387FFABAB43.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thought I’d try something different and grabbed 8lbs (two racks) of Beef Back Ribs at Costco for $4.29/pound. No trimming needed, but scoured the membrane, coated with SPG rub and an extra layer of pepper, chilled in refrigerator overnight, and just threw them in the Primo, currently at 185* (should work it’s way up to 225*)

Current plan is to go ~4 hours, then wrap in butcher paper w tallow and continue til tender (~203*).

I’ve not seen anyone do the rest and long hold (2+ hours) like we do with our briskets and short rib plates. Any reason to think this wouldn’t work well for back ribs too?

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Thought I’d try something different and grabbed 8lbs (two racks) of Beef Back Ribs at Costco for $4.29/pound. No trimming needed, but scoured the membrane, coated with SPG rub and an extra layer of pepper, chilled in refrigerator overnight, and just threw them in the Primo, currently at 185* (should work it’s way up to 225*)

Current plan is to go ~4 hours, then wrap in butcher paper w tallow and continue til tender (~203*).

I’ve not seen anyone do the rest and long hold (2+ hours) like we do with our briskets and short rib plates. Any reason to think this wouldn’t work well for back ribs too?

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.  Less mass, so maybe a shorter hold time would be appropriate?  But the method in general should probably work.

• 3 months later...

Tried something different yesterday and smoked two racks cut individually, then cut off the bone and sliced across to make more of a snack style for NYE.  This is really an incredible way to get more bark and it seems to have no affect on how juicy it was. I’d definitely do it again when trying to let everybody have just a couple bites.  

H/T to Jason who does the BBQ at Spanish Oaks for being the inspiration for trying this. 

C9EADB59-2983-4D44-9DC6-71BA84F8BFD8.jpeg

0EDE3F5A-A142-4C02-8AA5-9424F581F06E.jpeg

F9BA756D-D79B-471C-9B9B-BBDDA5F540E1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Interesting. I assumed separating then would cause them to cook too quickly, limiting the smoke imparted.

It took about the same time it always does on the egg at 225, which is about 7-8 hours.  It honestly didn’t seem to change anything other than giving more surface area for smoke and salt/pepper. It also made it a little easier to arrange the meat to stay away from the hot spots around the deflector plate. 

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

Tried something different yesterday and smoked two racks cut individually, then cut off the bone and sliced across to make more of a snack style for NYE.  This is really an incredible way to get more bark and it seems to have no affect on how juicy it was. I’d definitely do it again when trying to let everybody have just a couple bites.  

H/T to Jason who does the BBQ at Spanish Oaks for being the inspiration for trying this. 

C9EADB59-2983-4D44-9DC6-71BA84F8BFD8.jpeg

0EDE3F5A-A142-4C02-8AA5-9424F581F06E.jpeg

F9BA756D-D79B-471C-9B9B-BBDDA5F540E1.jpeg

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

and will be trying it soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, XL.  Roughly 8 years old.  It’s been great.  I’ve put in new felt and changed out the thermometer, but all else with the smoker itself has held up.  Cart rusted out on me last year so I’ve replaced it with their wood model.

• Hook 'Em 1

Been pondering one of those for some time, I have a simple Weber kettle and I’d like something a little more flexible and strong in terms of smoking. Can limp along smoking on the kettle with the slow n sear insert but it’s not exactly the same, and the temp bounces around a good bit on me. Any complaints? How’s the smoke flavor? Looks like you got a nice smoke ring on those beefers. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd hit it with more pepper to get some more bark.  I cook them like brisket (no wrap) and they may be the easiest thing not to mess up save for pork shoulder.  But I've never tried the short bones.  I'll be interested to hear if you can taste anything from the Bijan mustard slather.  That stuff slams generally.

Edited by dcbc