• Replies 71.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

The 1954 Cotton Bowl Classic, part of the 1953 bowl game season, took place on January 1, 1954, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas. The competing teams were the Alabama Crimson Tide, representing the Southeastern Conference (SEC) as conference champions, and the Rice Owls, representing the Southwest Conference (SWC) as conference co-champions. Rice won the game 28–6, but its victory was overshadowed by Alabama's Tommy Lewis and his "12th man tackle" of Rice running back Dicky Maegle in the second quarter.

Hmmm.  12th man?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Hmmm.  12th man?

The list of “12th Man” incidents is long and predates the aggy claim by decades. 

What makes me laugh about the aggy story is that they supposedly declared a player who never came off the bench and was surrounded by 10 other available substitutes as the hero of the game. Not the player who scored the winning touchdown. Not the star QB who broke his leg. But a player who left the team mid-season because he hadn’t gotten any meaningful playing time the entire season, who for yet another game never came off the bench. 

Only aggys can understand how doing nothing is more meaningful than actually contributing to the win. 

Here is the video of the 1954 Cotton Bowl tackle. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Vertigo said:

I don't recommend it, but if you want to put yourself through the beatdown of listening to Jimbo for a half hour, here it is.

Some funny takeaways:

Regarding the dustup: Jimbo said, "like Nick said, we learn from these things, I know Nick learned something, I hope I learn something too."

When asked about his WR depth.. Jimbo tailed off and ended up talking about RB and TE's catching the ball.

A speech transcriber stood up and said. "How do you talk so fast?"

When asked about who his top 3 permanent opponents would be he indicated that you had to have Texas and LSU because of both great rivalries.

Jimbo wants Mississippi State as the third opponent. Yes. Really. 

Pressed on the three permanent rivals he would want, Jimbo Fisher said, "You want Texas because of that rivalry. LSU is a great rivalry. Arkansas goes into that. Probably LSU and Texas for sure. The third team is Mississippi State."
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I could see the SEC throwing Aggy a bone so they don't lose their shit, again. I could see Texas, LSU, and South Carolina. 

Who cares? As long as UT gets aggy, Arky, and 0u.

Miss State? USCe? aggy are some goofy MFers

Great, insurance agents all over Katy will be pushing folks to up their policies. 
Which is not a bad idea because Johnny Sharp is is charge of distributing federal disaster relief funds...and the city of Houston is still waiting on their Harvey money last I heard.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pressed on the three permanent rivals he would want, Jimbo Fisher said, "You want Texas because of that rivalry. LSU is a great rivalry. Arkansas goes into that. Probably LSU and Texas for sure. The third team is Mississippi State."

A much better question would have been "have you talked to your old ag fans about these possible rivalry setups?  who do they prefer?"  

He's been there 4 years.  Never coached in even the same conference as aggy.    Just seems he'd been smarter to defer this to others, instead of fielding it himself.   Claiming rivalries with bluebloods does not make you a blueblood, nor make it a rivalry.  

But I guess he's paid for whatever makes aggy seem grander than they are.  Muddle on, Jimbo.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Dicky Moegle…. Taylor Duck!

246C9EC8-8D92-43D7-BF97-8EA29855AA46.jpeg

Scoring summary
Quarter Time Drive Team Scoring information Score
Plays Yards TOP Alabama Rice
1 3:31   48 yards   Alabama Tommy Lewis 2-yard touchdown run, Bobby Luna kick failed 6 0
2 14:55   79 yards   Rice Dicky Moegle 79-yard touchdown run, LeRoy Fenstemaker kick good 6 7
2 8:34   95 yards[A 1]   Rice Dicky Moegle 95-yard touchdown run, LeRoy Fenstemaker kick good 6 14
3 4:56   67 yards   Rice Dicky Moegle 34-yard touchdown run, LeRoy Fenstemaker kick good 6 21
4 14:25   75 yards   Rice Buddy Grantham 7-yard touchdown run, LeRoy Fenstemaker kick good 6 28
"TOP" = time of possession. For other American football terms, see Glossary of American football. 6 28

Read through the article and Moegle average something like 24 yards a carry.  

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The list of “12th Man” incidents is long and predates the aggy claim by decades. 

What makes me laugh about the aggy story is that they supposedly declared a player who never came off the bench and was surrounded by 10 other available substitutes as the hero of the game. Not the player who scored the winning touchdown. Not the star QB who broke his leg. But a player who left the team mid-season because he hadn’t gotten any meaningful playing time the entire season, who for yet another game never came off the bench. 

Only aggys can understand how doing nothing is more meaningful than actually contributing to the win. 

Here is the video of the 1954 Cotton Bowl tackle. 

A dear friend of mine was at that game. He tells it like this: "I was 10 or 11 and my dad and I decided at the last minute to see that game. We went to the fairgrounds without tickets and scalped what appeared to be 2 really good yardline seats, and cheap. Then we found out why: They were in the lower deck, located right behind one of those big round pillars that support the upper deck. I got so tired of leaning left, then leaning right, trying to see the action, that I just watched what I could see without moving. So, all I saw was  Maegle streaking down the sideline. He ran behind that post and he just never ran out again. One of the most memorable plays in all of college football happened and I was actually there but didn't see it."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

I could see the SEC throwing Aggy a bone so they don't lose their shit, again. I could see Texas, LSU, and South Carolina. 

If sec cared about what aggy thought or wanted they wouldn’t have accepted Texas and ou. And since that’s a package deal they’re not gonna break up that match up to throw aggy a bone.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The essence of the aggy experience is dumbing down as much as possible at every possible opportunity. 

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M. 

I feel like they should make a special provision because Aggy are special and that they get 4 annual opponents.

Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and LSU.

That way they can still sell we control the tide shirts every ~5 years when the blind squirrel finds an acorn.

we are aligned with aggy on this topic

cutting to the chase, do you want pig every year or lsu every year?  i've gamed it out and we can't have both

aggy + klan aggy every year = texas + lsu every year

texas + pig every year = 0u + aggy every year

do you want to sacrifice lsu every year so aggy has to play 0u every year?

that's the decision

here's the detail:

++++++

sec scheduling/alignment has 2 prime directives:

1. competitive balance that is agreeable to the schools that bring the $

2. find a structure that still supports "rivalries" - some have 1, some have 2, some have 3

#2 is impossible with 3-team pods that align with #1

therefore, 4-team pods it is

8 league games and 10 league games don't provide balanced, symmetrical rotation schedules

9 games it is

the following pods with 9 games maintain all of the crossover/immovable objects:

sec southwest: aggy, lsu, texas, klanaggy

sec northwest: 0u, pig, tigger, vandy

sec central: klan, ky, saban, tenn

sec east: barn, cock, gaytah, uga

note the pre-protected immovable objects such as the saban/tenn, saban/klan and barn/uga games which combined with the following annual crossovers makes this geographically rational setup acceptable to everyone except 2 of cock/ky/tigger...

annual crossovers:

fairpark ut-ou

lsu-gaytah

eggbowl klanaggy-klan

ironbowl saban-barn

tenn-vandy

deathstar pig-aggy

that's 12 of 16 easily sorted out

cock and uga are already in the same pod

so uga can have ky or tigger

uga takes ky because they are closer

cock and tigger pair up

+++

negatives: cock and tigger are pissed but there is no way to solve for the entire construct and factor their wishes, and to solve for the entire construct and have a single solitary game be a "negative" is pretty fucking incredible

the other negatives:

- bammer/uga continue to duck each other in the regular season, but not for 8 or 9 years at a time which has been the runrate since '91

- no texas/pig every year

- bammer doesn't concede anything

+++

so there it is - the moment you move any piece on the board, there is a cascading effect that is unsolvable, either competitively, or ending by matchups that other schools believe are rivalries/immovable objects

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

MSU is an excellent choice.  I'd very much like to watch Leach continue to beat the ags every year.

And also a good choice because they are carbon copies of each other in everything but their self image. Second rate cow colleges. The difference is, MissSU KNOWS it’s little brother. It has self awareness.

aggy thinks they’re ‘Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

No way AgLaw02 is a real, fightin' red ass Texas Aggie.

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

cutting to the chase, do you want pig every year or lsu every year?  i've gamed it out and we can't have both

that's the decision

here's the detail:

++++++

2. find a structure that still supports "rivalries" - some have 1, some have 2, some have 3

8 league games and 10 league games don't provide balanced, symmetrical rotation schedules

9 games it is

the following pods with 9 games maintain all of the crossover/immovable objects:

note the pre-protected immovable objects such as the saban/tenn, saban/klan and barn/uga games which combined with the following annual crossovers makes this geographically rational setup acceptable to everyone except 2 of cock/ky/tigger...

annual crossovers:

fairpark ut-ou

lsu-gaytah

eggbowl klanaggy-klan

ironbowl saban-barn

tenn-vandy

deathstar pig-aggy

cock and tigger pair up

+++

negatives: cock and tigger are pissed but there is no way to solve for the entire construct and factor their wishes, and to solve for the entire construct and have a single solitary game be a "negative" is pretty fucking incredible

the other negatives:

- bammer/uga continue to duck each other in the regular season, but not for 8 or 9 years at a time which has been the runrate since '91

+++

so there it is - the moment you move any piece on the board, there is a cascading effect that is unsolvable, either competitively, or ending by matchups that other schools believe are rivalries/immovable objects

That's a lot of words to say UT needs to play 0u, aggy, and pig every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

MSU is an excellent choice.  I'd very much like to watch Leach continue to beat the ags every year.

That needs to happen. Back in the 2000s besides Mack, nobody could get under the aggy's skin like Leach could. I remember in a presser he was once talking about how they're a fake army and that he was going to turn his team into pirates where the freshman start out with the eyepatch and bandana and then they finally get a sword their senior year. Also, after the aggy national television nut squeeze in 06, Tech scores a late TD to win. Leach, "sometimes a pirate beats a soldier."

Starts around 24 seconds 

Also, gold after Miss State went into Kyle Field and beat the ags. Around 2:15 "it's always good to win at Kyle Field and I've done it more than most people have."

Edited by Longboard Horn
Mike, never stop being you
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that's the decision

here's the detail:

++++++

9 games it is

annual crossovers:

fairpark ut-ou

lsu-gaytah

eggbowl klanaggy-klan

ironbowl saban-barn

tenn-vandy

deathstar pig-aggy

cock and tigger pair up

+++

the other negatives:

+++

LSU every year would be good for recruiting. I don't think Kelly can play the recruiting game well enough to build a fence around the state. That said, I'd rather play Arkansas due to tradition. 

If Aggy put their money where their mouth is, they'd request Texas, Bama, and LSU as their 3 permanent opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU every year would be good for recruiting. I don't think Kelly can play the recruiting game well enough to build a fence around the state. That said, I'd rather play Arkansas due to tradition. 

If Aggy put their money where their mouth is, they'd request Texas, Bama, and LSU as their 3 permanent opponents. 

I vote for LSU, Pig, and OU

On 7/22/2022 at 10:46 PM, markstanco said:

9-3 is their ceiling.

Caught the tail end of Looch on Sirius CFB channel today. He’s expecting a 10-2 regular season and likely/deserving preseason #1 in 2023 if they win their bowl game to end 11-2. 
Blamed last year on QB injuries or they would have been in another NY6 bowl game and a top 5 team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Caught the tail end of Looch on Sirius CFB channel today. He’s expecting a 10-2 regular season and likely/deserving preseason #1 in 2023 if they win their bowl game to end 11-2. 
Blamed last year on QB injuries or they would have been in another NY6 bowl game and a top 5 team. 

badsantagif.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1