Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

46 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

App St ran 82 plays (to 38 for aggy) and had a 41:29 to 18:17 advantage in time of possession. Their game plan seemed pretty sustainable to me.

Yes, they absolutely didn't run the same game plan against UNC that they did against aggy. They ran the clock down to shorten the game, and aggy obliged them. While, aggy might have a good defense this year, using the stats from last year (almost completely different personnel and scheme) and their 1st two opponents seems like a poor way to illustrate it. Connelly's model also fails to adjust to the very real ideal that Appalachian State was never pressed into going for more chunk plays because aggy could stop their 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, nor did the aggy offense stress that gameplan.

• Replies 71.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Yikes. Apparently they took the yell practice video as a cringe off challenge.

I find it to be an amusing exercise in self-aware absurdity.

image.png.f12a506ac789e8f97d1a4a816809398d.png

Skinny white boy in kiddie car had me smiling from the start. Pretty good rhymes, but I'm not well-versed in the genre.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apologies if this has been said already, but I didn't realize how awful A&M's OOC schedule was this year. In addition to Sam Houston, App State, and Miami, they will also play UMass their second to last game of the season.

UMass didn't become an FCS school until 2012, and App State didn't become one until 2014. 15 years ago, this schedule would have had three FCS teams on it. That's horrible.

54 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

App St ran 82 plays (to 38 for aggy) and had a 41:29 to 18:17 advantage in time of possession. Their game plan seemed pretty sustainable to me.

Yeah, seems like a place where SP+ and other models would have a hard time. That suggests the game plan itself contributed to aggy defensive dominance. They weren’t trying to stretch the field and be rewarded by SP+ for explosive plays (don’t remember if that metric matters). So should wrectum crew be seen as elite when the other team did exactly what it wanted? Probably not.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, they absolutely didn't run the same game plan against UNC that they did against aggy. They ran the clock down to shorten the game, and aggy obliged them. While, aggy might have a good defense this year, using the stats from last year (almost completely different personnel and scheme) and their 1st two opponents seems like a poor way to illustrate it. Connelly's model also fails to adjust to the very real ideal that Appalachian State was never pressed into going for more chunk plays because aggy could stop their 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, nor did the aggy offense stress that gameplan.

Looks like you beat me to the point. I also strongly dislike Connelly.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, in case I forget because I probably will, October 29th is a big day for A&M football. It's Franklin Pierce Day. On that day their national championship becomes closer to Franklin Pierce's presidency than to the current date. 

Right now they're in their James Buchanan period. 

Franklin Pierce was elected President six years before Teddy Roosevelt was born.

53 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There was a guy back in the 90’s who played both ways and got a few votes.

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pretty sure most people are thinking of Steve McNair finishing 3rd in 1994 for Alcorn State. 

38 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Pretty sure I was thinking of Dudek.

Gordie Lockbaum Holy Cross RB/ Safety 

5th 1986 Heisman balloting

3rd 1987 Heisman balloting

9th round pick NFL draft by Steelers

jim carrey yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

Apologies if this has been said already, but I didn't realize how awful A&M's OOC schedule was this year. In addition to Sam Houston, App State, and Miami, they will also play UMass their second to last game of the season.

UMass didn't become an FCS school until 2012, and App State didn't become one until 2014. 15 years ago, this schedule would have had three FCS teams on it. That's horrible.

That is a pretty normal post-Big 12 OOC schedule for them. That is how they win 8 games a year.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

jim carrey yes GIF

Yep I remember Lockbaum. And I mistyped my post. I meant to say most people would think of McNair when thinking of lower level players who got Heisman votes. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is a pretty normal post-Big 12 OOC schedule for them. That is how they win 8 games a year.

Correct.   I think Prairie View has been that 4th game in November a few times.   Want to say The Citadel came for a paycheck too along with South Carolina State .   Sumlin’s second to last season they played UTSA in November and the Runners came close to beating them for which some aggy were disappointed because that loss would have sent Sumlin packing a year earlier.   

44 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

jim carrey yes GIF

Frank Deford overtly campaigned for this guy on national tv for weeks with his sappy work-ups. His pushing of Lockbaum was a driver for him getting votes, which was a damned farce. 

• Rage+1 1

maroongoon95 said:
We have done everything possible since the beginning of our football program to become a consistent national championship contender. But have FAILED. We are in the top 5 of crowd noise, stadium, players ( last 4 recruiting classes in top10), coach, and money. We play on prime time espn. We are starting a new qb. It's simple. If we win tomorrow night and Max is the guy, we have a chance for a rebound of a possible 10-2 season. If we lose with Max, and Aggie it up, it will be compared to an 18 wheeler tire blow out. It will be loud and profound. Losing tomorrow night could set our program back years. I have BAS
Coach Jimbo will have these boys ready to go. Did you read the quote from the player the other day that stated "he was angry"?

This team will have the 12th man behind them and will come out and represent on Saturday Night against The U.

Coach Jimbo's teams always respond when the pressure is the highest.
  • Haha 1

I notice that "Kellso" doesn't have an AgTag.  He might just be a rollercoaster operator.

TyperWoods said:
It's not a conference game, nor a bowl game.

Factcheck says OP assertion is false.
Exactly. This team could lose to Miami tomorrow night and still have a chance to win the SEC Title.

At some point Jimbo has got to make it to the SEC title game. That is all that matters.

I notice that "Kellso" doesn't have an AgTag.  He might just be a rollercoaster operator.
Kellso In reply to TyperWoods • 6:50p    
TyperWoods said: It's not a conference game, nor a bowl game.

Factcheck says OP assertion is false.
Exactly. This team could lose to Miami tomorrow night and still have a chance to win the SEC Title.

At some point Jimbo has got to make it to the SEC title game. That is all that matters.
I can’t recall jimbo ever saying a conference title game is a goal. Even short term. Doesn’t matter his buyout is still north of 90 million.

90 million dollars buyout and loses at home to app state. So funny.

Just posted this on the Scott Frost thread, but it really belongs here:

Not that I would ever disrespect aggy, but Yankton College (Lyle Alzado’s alma mater) closed almost 40 years ago, yet they can still claim more Rhodes Scholars than aggy.

Yankton College 9

gig ‘em aggy 5

https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/45775/2021-rs_number-of-winners-by-institution.pdf

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Correct.   I think Prairie View has been that 4th game in November a few times.   Want to say The Citadel came for a paycheck too along with South Carolina State .   Sumlin’s second to last season they played UTSA in November and the Runners came close to beating them for which some aggy were disappointed because that loss would have sent Sumlin packing a year earlier.   

Garrett was out most, if not all of that game.  

13 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Just posted this on the Scott Frost thread, but it really belongs here:

Not that I would ever disrespect aggy, but Yankton College (Lyle Alzado’s alma mater) closed almost 40 years ago, yet they can still claim more Rhodes Scholars than aggy.

Yankton College 9

gig ‘em aggy 5

https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/45775/2021-rs_number-of-winners-by-institution.pdf

Texas 26

Señor Paco's in Bahrain was legit in mid-90's.  Might have been because it was one of the few restaurants in Bahrain that had a liquor license.  Mid-2010's Dubai had an El Chico in Jumeirah Beach that was at least reminiscent of Tex-Mex.
That's an amazing feat since El Chico's in Texas isnt reminiscent of Tex-Mex

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You can't write it any funnier.  If they lose to Miami the meltdown on TexAgs is going to be epic. Knowing that they are saddled with Jimbo?  Delicious.

They kinda dodged a big one.  If Jimbo wasn't addicted to being cucked, he could've nailed aggy for another 50 million or so, with Corn in the market for a corch that can get them back to those 8-4 glory years.

8-4 Cuckimbo would've been at the VERY TOP of Nebraska's wettest of dreams list.    It's so hard to go 8-4 yearly when playing a whooping 8 conference games and 3 or 4 OOC games against powerhouses like Sam Houston, UMASS, and App State.   

Haha.  I can't wait for the next aggy to bring up Kansas....   Not that aggy would ever comprehend....

18 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Johnny Bailey from A&I  won it twice.   

18 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Close, he won it 3 times. As a side note, my brother-in-law (played HS at Austin Lanier) was his quarterback his first year to win it. 

18 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

spacer.png

That guy was an absolute stud of a running back.

Basically the Archie Griffin of D2

1 minute ago, EastTexan said:

yes he was, but screw ag&i.

Now known as aggy Kingsville. Commerce won 10 straight Chennault Cup's against them. In the 2010s and for eternity now(since we won't play them anymore, D1 jump and whatnot) they were and still are our bitch! We got the final Cup and those fuckers have to live with that forever! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Now known as aggy Kingsville. Commerce won 10 straight Chennault Cup's against them. In the 2010s and for eternity now(since we won't play them anymore, D1 jump and whatnot) they were and still are our bitch! We got the final Cup and those fuckers have to live with that forever! 

yea I know. I go a long, long way back with ET. I was just giving  RiverRat a hard time about ag&i.

It blows my mind that Aggy, no matter how much they pay a corch, or who they get, can never bring home any kind of hardware. I honestly feel like Nick Saban would lose there. They are the LA Clippers of college football. The Jacksonville Jaguars. The Brewers. I don't know what they did to anger the gods of the oblong ball made of pigskin, but maybe its the sheep fucking. Whatever they did they need to repent or groundhogs day will continue. 

• Hook 'Em 2