Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

5 minutes ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Man o man. My apologies if this is legit.

this brings aggyness to a whole new level.

Does this happen with any other college bands?

of course not.  aggy is all about turditions that only they have.  unique is a nice way of saying "so fucking stupid no one else would do it".

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 71.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Had a friend in high school ended up playing in the aggy band. I asked him how, since I've never seen him play an instrument. He said he doesn't play. They had so few people qualified to play instruments they had to fill out the band with people faking playing just for show. Strange thing is he had the band CDs and liked to play them so he could listen to himself not play.

True story which should surprise nobody. So when they spout all that BS about being nationally known, I always laugh. If only everyone knew what a fraud they were just like the rest of the school. Ha!

They also pipe in crowd noise every play. Fact. 

1 hour ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Yeah, I’d love this to be true but I’m calling bullshit

It is 100% true. 

1 hour ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Yeah, I’d love this to be true but I’m calling bullshit.

however it would be really funny if the volume was up and the entire aggy band was one chick playing a flute and some fat kid on the tuba.

I can also confirm the story is true. It's a fake band of fake army.

31 minutes ago, CoTex said:

All that time with the instrument - why not learn to play it?  I mean, you’re going to spend 4 years with the mf’er, polishing it and what not.  

Because marching a follow-the-leader routine is easy. Playing an instrument takes actual talent and effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

Umm...no. Not BS, so you can love it - surprised the hell out of me, too. The instrument he carried around was the tuba but good ol' aggy can't call it a tuba because it starts with "tu" so he called it the bass horn - in case you need more aggyness. His brother was in the corps/band and 95% sure he could not play either, as I never saw him play an instrument in HS either.

If I doubted you (I don’t) you would have convinced me with “bass horn” because only aggy is dumb enough to come up with something like that. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Everybody should attend an Aggie game at Kyle or on the road. It's exactly as described, unique (special is redundant). It's a time capsule from the 1930s and even their band is worth a watch. The underpinnings of all of that are ridiculous and the place a cult center, but it's an experience that shouldn't be missed if you have the opportunity.

I wouldn't want to see them regularly because hard core Aggies are unbearable. They'll ruin what you've observed by explaining how great it is while using the word "traditions" about a thousand times. You'll realize that they're oddly, unjustifiably condescending. Even their front of aggressive friendliness is Stepfordesque.

That would require me willingly visiting college station. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jinx said:

If I doubted you (I don’t) you would have convinced me with “bass horn” because only aggy is dumb enough to come up with something like that. 

Yes, well...perhaps you're not taking into account that it was in fact, the Double Bass Horn.  As well as other bass instruments of that nature, such as the Bass Piccolo.  

They just rewrite history, conveniently poach and edit facts, and change their narrative whenever it's convenient.  They're the perfect fucking cult.  Only thing they're missing is the charismatic, paranoid central leader.  I guess, is that the Dog then?  I dunno.

Edited by YGIFS

Umm...no. Not BS, so you can love it - surprised the hell out of me, too. The instrument he carried around was the tuba but good ol' aggy can't call it a tuba because it starts with "tu" so he called it the bass horn - in case you need more aggyness. His brother was in the corps/band and 95% sure he could not play either, as I never saw him play an instrument in HS either.

He played the skin flute man.  You just weren't invited to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 9/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, US183 said:

For some reason I haven’t seen any stories about some random UM fans describing the incredible hospitality of aggy, when they were looking for their seats or trying to find their lost car. But there are stories of UM players and some Broadcasters bragging on aggy…

image.thumb.jpeg.61e1449511ada87f2afcd9aefb6cea4e.jpeg

Holly Rowe, the consummate pro, demonstrating the art of damning with faint praise…

truly unique and special.

4 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Had a friend in high school ended up playing in the aggy band. I asked him how, since I've never seen him play an instrument. He said he doesn't play. They had so few people qualified to play instruments they had to fill out the band with people faking playing just for show. Strange thing is he had the band CDs and liked to play them so he could listen to himself not play.

True story which should surprise nobody. So when they spout all that BS about being nationally known, I always laugh. If only everyone knew what a fraud they were just like the rest of the school. Ha!

In junior high I was in the marching band at my school.  Our band director had us play the aggy war hymn.  I protested vehemently and he told me he would've had us play something from Tech or UT but those songs were too hard for a bunch of second year band students.  We also marched like aggy, he said it was way easier to march that way than the more advanced designs and patterns the other college bands did.  As I got older and did more difficult songs and marches, I came to understand that he wasn't bullshitting even a little bit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

In junior high I was in the marching band at my school.  Our band director had us play the aggy war hymn.  I protested vehemently and he told me he would've had us play something from Tech or UT but those songs were too hard for a bunch of second year band students.  We also marched like aggy, he said it was way easier to march that way than the more advanced designs and patterns the other college bands did.  As I got older and did more difficult songs and marches, I came to understand that he wasn't bullshitting even a little bit.  

But but computer software can’t even figure out how the band does its formations 

• Haha 2

I mean that might be true, if they have super dumb computers over at aggy. That actually would explain some things, so yeah they probably can't figure it out with computers over there. But in reality it's just blocks or people making planned 45 and 90 degree turns.  We learned to do it as a group of 95 12 and 13 year olds with just one west Texas band director telling us what to do.  It was not hard.  At all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

That is hilariously awesome!

Amusing how their official web page still has this nonsense. Right in line with all of their other made-up turditions.

MEMBERSHIP

All prospective members of the Aggie Band are required to have had both high school playing and marching band experience as well as pass an audition with a director. Prospective cadets will be asked to play a prepared piece of music and demonstrate their sight-reading skills by sight-reading a march.

I was in the marching band, the music is easy by design. Even easier when the formations are just lines (we did a post 9-11 show that was patriot marches in straight lines and learned it in a day). Some don’t play because we’re dumb or lazy or forgot the formation and are focusing on the move but I’m wholly unaware of people who can’t play and are there just to march. That’s asinine, again you don’t need extraordinary music talent to join a marching band, a 9th grade level of playing talent is usually good enough, especially if your just marching in lines.

Edited by 'stache

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Some don’t play because we’re dumb or lazy or forgot the formation and are focusing on the move but I’m wholly unaware of people who can’t play and are there just to march. That’s asinine

This is aggy we’re talking about. Everything is contrived. I can assure you, aggy has non-musicians marching.

Just because it’s something a HS wouldn’t do doesn’t mean it’s something aggy wouldn’t do. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Denying former players game tickets.. lulz 

The famed aggy network is not set up to support those with melanin levels presented in individuals like Trey and Sloneal. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Everybody should attend an Aggie game at Kyle or on the road. It's exactly as described, unique (special is redundant). It's a time capsule from the 1930s and even their band is worth a watch. The underpinnings of all of that are ridiculous and the place a cult center, but it's an experience that shouldn't be missed if you have the opportunity.

I wouldn't want to see them regularly because hard core Aggies are unbearable. They'll ruin what you've observed by explaining how great it is while using the word "traditions" about a thousand times. You'll realize that they're oddly, unjustifiably condescending. Even their front of aggressive friendliness is Stepfordesque.

I went in 2009 when I was a student at UT and watched Colt McCoy run up and down that field.  My wife (girlfriend at the time who is a "2%er") got us tickets.  They're a weird bunch of people.  She enjoyed the game but hates football but enjoys watching when UT and A&M play around thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I went in 2009 when I was a student at UT and watched Colt McCoy run up and down that field.  My wife (girlfriend at the time who is a "2%er") got us tickets.  They're a weird bunch of people.  She enjoyed the game but hates football but enjoys watching when UT and A&M play around thanksgiving.

I went twice. The first time they assassinated Marty Akin's knee and disabled the wishbone. The fuckers won. 

The second was Earl's Heisman year. We were in folding chairs on the field. When the big Texas flag was to run on the field, a Corps guy wouldn't get out of the way, so the ATOs just raised it up and the flag passed over him. When the dickhead emerged, he was furious. Naturally he ran to one of the girl ATOs and seemed on the verge of starting some shit.

All around me on the field where we were seated there was a hush. You could almost feel a lean forward and scowl in the seconds the Aggie was harassing the girl. I think I know what the moment before a riot feels like. Someone got the Aggie out of the girl's face (she wasn't backing down), and the moment passed.

Glorious game. The Ags came back a little in the second half, so we had to leave Earl in. He rushed for over 200 which came in handy because it kept him ahead of Herschel Walker (I think). 

You can appreciate the Aggie experience away from Kyle field. Watching them in your own stadium is a solid taste. Whooping that ass in Memorial throughout the 70s was pretty sweet.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I went twice. The first time they assassinated Marty Akin's knee and disabled the wishbone. The fuckers won. 

The second was Earl's Heisman year. We were in folding chairs on the field. When the big Texas flag was to run on the field, a Corps guy wouldn't get out of the way, so the ATOs just raised it up and the flag passed over him. When the dickhead emerged, he was furious. Naturally he ran to one of the girl ATOs and seemed on the verge of starting some shit.

All around me on the field where we were seated there was a hush. You could almost feel a lean forward and scowl in the seconds the Aggie was harassing the girl. I think I know what the moment before a riot feels like. Someone got the Aggie out of the girl's face (she wasn't backing down), and the moment passed.

Glorious game. The Ags came back a little in the second half, so we had to leave Earl in. He rushed for over 200 which came in handy because it kept him ahead of Herschel Walker (I think). 

You can appreciate the Aggie experience away from Kyle field. Watching them in your own stadium is a solid taste. Whooping that ass in Memorial throughout the 70s was pretty sweet.

Herschel was a freshman in 1980 so not sure, but 8 year old me had just moved to Houston and quickly became a Horn fan. This helped a lot

download.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Herschel was a freshman in 1980 so not sure, but 8 year old me had just moved to Houston and quickly became a Horn fan. This helped a lot

download.jpeg

That is one of the best football pictures ever.

I looked it up, it was Charles Alexander of LSU.  They were always comparing guys to Earl back in the day. Nobody measured up. Nobody does now. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

They're the perfect fucking cult.  Only thing they're missing is the charismatic, paranoid central leader.  I guess, is that the Dog then?  I dunno.

In Cults the leader almost always has sex with their followers....so yes the leader would definitely be Reveille.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That is one of the best football pictures ever.

I looked it up, it was Charles Alexander of LSU.  They were always comparing guys to Earl back in the day. Nobody measured up. Nobody does now. 

It's weird, I think about Earl and Ricky both as oddly unique TBs at the collegiate level. I realize they were hall of fame talents, but why haven't we seen many other examples akin to either guy, each of whom was also different from the other? Derek Henry gets mentioned as a Ricky-esque college back, but I don't see it. Henry was definitely great and I'm not begrudging him his Heisman or college performances. I just see him as more of a complete giant at the TB position which is also hard to imitate. 

Anyway, I think about it and then try to sort through my own biases and look for others. It's stretchy to get to someone for either guy. You never really hear anyone say "that guy is the next Earl Campbell!" Same for Hershel Walker or Ricky. I guess maybe the same is true for Bo. Maybe the days of the fucking horse of a TB are by the wayside because those guys get pushed to other positions? I don't know. Not as germane to this thread overall, but maybe worth an offseason discussion thread.

In the same vein, I fully understand comparisons between VY, Newton, Winston and a few others. Winston was a different QB than VY or Cam, but hey, he was a big mobile black QB that won a title, so yeah! let's do it. Whatever. Newton is at least a lesser version of VY. I've seen and heard people compare him favorably to VY, which is heresy, but not absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's weird, I think about Earl and Ricky both as oddly unique TBs at the collegiate level. I realize they were hall of fame talents, but why haven't we seen many other examples akin to either guy, each of whom was also different from the other? Derek Henry gets mentioned as a Ricky-esque college back, but I don't see it. Henry was definitely great and I'm not begrudging him his Heisman or college performances. I just see him as more of a complete giant at the TB position which is also hard to imitate. 

Anyway, I think about it and then try to sort through my own biases and look for others. It's stretchy to get to someone for either guy. You never really hear anyone say "that guy is the next Earl Campbell!" Same for Hershel Walker or Ricky. I guess maybe the same is true for Bo. Maybe the days of the fucking horse of a TB are by the wayside because those guys get pushed to other positions? I don't know. Not as germane to this thread overall, but maybe worth an offseason discussion thread.

In the same vein, I fully understand comparisons between VY, Newton, Winston and a few others. Winston was a different QB than VY or Cam, but hey, he was a big mobile black QB that won a title, so yeah! let's do it. Whatever. Newton is at least a lesser version of VY. I've seen and heard people compare him favorably to VY, which is heresy, but not absurd. 

Agreed. Ricky, Bo, and Herschel I think had the ultimate combination of speed and power that is very rare. Earl- insane power but still damn good speed. I remember when Ced first came on the scene watching him get 10, 15, 20 with a certain amount of daylight and being a little underwhelmed. I soon realized I was comparing him to Ricky taking similar situations to the house, then deciding that was unfair because Ricky was so unique and appreciating how good Ced really was. RIP Ced

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Agree about Earl and Ricky. I rarely saw Barry Sanders, but he seems to be the epitome of another type of back. I think Jim Brown is like Ricky and Earl. As a little boy, I saw Jim Brown on black and white TV. Dad made such a big deal about him that it stuck in my mind. I didn't understand football, but I recall his power and shiftiness. Dad liked to point out how slowly Brown got up and went to the huddle. I don't know if Earl picked that up from Brown or did it purely on his own.

27 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Typically you don't march with a tuba (they're too big) you march with a Sousaphone.  Source, my son is in marching band

Okay, I'll stop reminiscing after this. In the 70s, Memorial Stadium was never full for non-important games. These were fun days in Austin and around campus. Texas hosted an Octuba Fest in Memorial stadium and invited all of the Sousaphone players from high schools. There were at least a hundred. It was great hearing them play songs. I don't recall if they marched. They must have come onto the field at halftime with the LHB. Wally Pryor's wry voice...great times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Okay, I'll stop reminiscing after this. In the 70s, Memorial Stadium was never full for non-important games. These were fun days in Austin and around campus. Texas hosted an Octuba Fest in Memorial stadium and invited all of the Sousaphone players from high schools. There were at least a hundred. It was great hearing them play songs. I don't recall if they marched. They must have come onto the field at halftime with the LHB. Wally Pryor's wry voice...great times.

LHB did something like this when I was in high school.  I think we played 76 trombones.  They invited area trombones, baritones, and tubas (me). This was late '80s so we were like the only people in the whole north end zone bleachers.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I was in the marching band, the music is easy by design. Even easier when the formations are just lines (we did a post 9-11 show that was patriot marches in straight lines and learned it in a day). Some don’t play because we’re dumb or lazy or forgot the formation and are focusing on the move but I’m wholly unaware of people who can’t play and are there just to march. That’s asinine, again you don’t need extraordinary music talent to join a marching band, a 9th grade level of playing talent is usually good enough, especially if your just marching in lines.

You seem to be forgetting who we are talking about here.  It may be asenine, but it's 100% factual.

Edited by TrashMaster G

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I was at that 1977 game at aggy too.  That was my Junior year at UT.  aggy scored first and went up 7-0.  Earl then torched them for a 60 yard receiving TD and the horns never looked back.  Earl had over 200 yards on the ground and the 60 yards receiving.  It's the only receiving TD I can recall that Earl had while at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Band nerd (along with other nerd and non-nerd activities) in HS checking in. Played tuba/bass/sousaphone in HS, both concert and marching bands. Marched in the Rose Parade, carried that brass bad boy all 5 miles. We called the brass marching tuba a “bass,” not a tuba, for whatever reason.  We were in northern NM, so absolutely no connection to aggy or ut/tu in the appellation. 

That is hilariously awesome!
Amusing how their official web page still has this nonsense. Right in line with all of their other made-up turditions.

MEMBERSHIP

All prospective members of the Aggie Band are required to have had both high school playing and marching band experience as well as pass an audition with a director. Prospective cadets will be asked to play a prepared piece of music and demonstrate their sight-reading skills by sight-reading a march.

899c863c216b96172a31ffda34dfb1cf.jpg