Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

the question was when he would hire a GM and stay out of the business of football:

"Did you like those three Super Bowls? ..You know how many people have won 3 Super Bowls in the last 10 years? Did you enjoy those? I hope you did...I hope you did very much. Now let me say 1 other thing to you: the day I step down is the day I don't have the football team"

https://usave.it/player/player.php?plyrid=108

Now the Jimbo version: 

"Did you like those three 8-4 seasons? ..You know how many people have won 8 games in the last 10 years? Did you enjoy those? I hope you did...I hope you did very much. Now let me say 1 other thing to you: the day I step down as OC is the day I leave the football team"

Agree with the above - dude is way too much of a narcissist to ever give up control, plus he has all the leverage. He is convinced he is the only reason FSU won a national championship, and will never change his mind. Kinda like the owner of some team up north.

BTW, can we call the SPCA on aggy - forcing that dog to watch those games has to constitute animal abuse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

17 hours ago, CoTex said:

I think the answer is they try to figure out how to get someone “super top notch” but on the sale rack.  Yes Briles has baggage but is it the kind of baggage that dq’s him in this situation?  Maybe not.

17 hours ago, deech said:

I think that maybe the best case option for them.  Hire someone so tainted by something off the field that they are willing to take the pennies on the dollar to get another shot.  Or some alumini working could take it cheap because of his love for school.  Would Aaron Glenn or Dan Campbell take being paid well below market rate?    Then they don't have to pay two coaches after they fire Jimbo.  Ogre makes sense as well, but would think that he would cost more which may be prohibitive.    

In regard to these ongoing pop-up thoughts about Art Briles on this thread - the dude turns 67 in early December. On top of being such a pariah that places like the CFL and Southern Miss were shamed out of hiring him, he's getting really old. I know Mack Brown is killing it at 71 and so is Saban, and that our last two presidents, irrespective of your political alignment, have been in charge well into their 70's, but these are exceptions versus rules.

Given all of that, sure, I can believe that the aggies are dumb enough to not realize the juice isn't worth the squeeze and go after him anyway. Also, the Air Veer or whatever the fuck it is called, while still an effective offense, isn't anywhere near the mystery it once was when Briles was running his rape factory.

For another canard often played on the aggie threads, Meyer is 58. He's no spring chicken, but you could certainly argue that he's got a good 10-15 of production in him if you could land him. Even with all of the pockmarks all over Meyer at this point, I doubt he'd be very interested in coaching at ATM if they get constructive in running Fisher out of town. I think he'd be a superior hire to Briles by a full 10x though.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

I know this isn’t how it works, but damn. If I were one of the BMDs that orchestrated what amounts to probably the worst contract in sports history, I feel like in the back of my head I’d be thinking “you know, maybe I’m not the best person to spearhead this next go around.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Cross posting here from a screenshot I found on IT

screenshot_20221107-085103_chrome-jpg.257811

This is a prime opportunity for us to try our hand at aggy propaganda:

Last week vs. Florida was the flu. 

This week vs. Auburn is lingering flu issues. 

Next week vs UMASS will be “getting the depth chart experience to figure out depth for next year”

Final week vs LSU will be “Candi is in midwinter form and the players are dehydrated” 

Then just don’t acknowledge the portal when it gets busy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I know this isn’t how it works, but damn. If I were one of the BMDs that orchestrated what amounts to probably the worst contract in sports history, I feel like in the back of my head I’d be thinking “you know, maybe I’m not the best person to spearhead this next go around.”

"Am I out of touch? No, it's the coaches who are wrong."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In regard to these ongoing pop-up thoughts about Art Briles on this thread - the dude turns 67 in early December. On top of being such a pariah that places like the CFL and Southern Miss were shamed out of hiring him, he's getting really old. I know Mack Brown is killing it at 71 and so is Saban, and that our last two presidents, irrespective of your political alignment, have been in charge well into their 70's, but these are exceptions versus rules.

You know they don't give two shits about anything other than being able to brag about something from a perceived position of superiority, and way down the line- winning. They would much rather talk shit than win, no matter what else they say. Their long-held tradition is merely talking shit and wanting a fight over it. It's why they've won so little.

They were perfectly suited to battle and lose to Texas Tech on the field and then have a cripple-fight involving class and dignity off of it. As long as they won the "dignity" contest in their own eyes, they were wildly successful. But they were too god to settle for mud wrestling with Tech, so they moved on to big failure on a big stage. But at least they're the dominant SEC team in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Perversely at Texas, the BMD factions have held one another "accountable" in some form with each coaching move via infighting. DFW fucks it up once, then Houston fucks it up, then CenTex fucks it up, then rotate while they all yell at each other. Awesome.

I'm not really sure how much of that is actually true, but there's, at a minimum, an element of truth to it. I've seen through the NIL efforts, where folks from Houston are busting their asses across the state to raise funds and guys in Dallas, San Antonio, and Fort Worth have all said "yeah, yeah, we like it, let us help out" and then come back and say they were going to do it on their own, and then wind up doing fucking nothing. But I digress. The NIL stuff is being sorted in big ways that will be public in a few days. 

To the aggie point, they're more unified historically, but they don't have nearly the money. It's also a smaller group, I think. No way ATM would want those guys sitting out a search if there are big buyouts involved. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Perversely at Texas, the BMD factions have held one another "accountable" in some form with each coaching move via infighting. DFW fucks it up once, then Houston fucks it up, then CenTex fucks it up, then rotate while they all yell at each other. Awesome.

I'm not really sure how much of that is actually true, but there's, at a minimum, an element of truth to it. I've seen through the NIL efforts, where folks from Houston are busting their asses across the state to raise funds and guys in Dallas, San Antonio, and Fort Worth have all said "yeah, yeah, we like it, let us help out" and then come back and say they were going to do it on their own, and then wind up doing fucking nothing. But I digress. The NIL stuff is being sorted in big ways that will be public in a few days. 

To the aggie point, they're more unified historically, but they don't have nearly the money. It's also a smaller group, I think. No way ATM would want those guys sitting out a search if there are big buyouts involved. 

Lack of genetic diversity will do that

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given all of that, sure, I can believe that the aggies are dumb enough to not realize the juice isn't worth the squeeze and go after him anyway. Also, the Air Veer or whatever the fuck it is called, while still an effective offense, isn't anywhere near the mystery it once was when Briles was running his rape factory.

For another canard often played on the aggie threads, Meyer is 58. He's no spring chicken, but you could certainly argue that he's got a good 10-15 of production in him if you could land him. Even with all of the pockmarks all over Meyer at this point, I doubt he'd be very interested in coaching at ATM if they get constructive in running Fisher out of town. I think he'd be a superior hire to Briles by a full 10x though.

I wasn't intending to try to benefit Briles in any way, but i was trying to find the likely solution to the problem.

Probably you don't scratch Jimbo a 90m check without a replacement in mind.  

17 hours ago, deech said:

I think that maybe the best case option for them.  Hire someone so tainted by something off the field that they are willing to take the pennies on the dollar to get another shot.  Or some alumini working could take it cheap because of his love for school.  Would Aaron Glenn or Dan Campbell take being paid well below market rate?    Then they don't have to pay two coaches after they fire Jimbo.  Ogre makes sense as well, but would think that he would cost more which may be prohibitive.    

Dan Campbell, the currently sitting NFL head coach for the Lions who has never coached at the college level despite ending his playing career in 2009?

Aaron Glenn, the currently sitting DC for those same Lions who spent 2 years in the front office for the Jets before being an NFL positional coach since 2014?

even if both guys get fired this offseason, why would they take a (large) step down to college when neither of them have shown any interest in it before?

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

Dan Campbell, the currently sitting NFL head coach for the Lions who has never coached at the college level despite ending his playing career in 2009?

Aaron Glenn, the currently sitting DC for those same Lions who spent 2 years in the front office for the Jets before being an NFL positional coach since 2014?

even if both guys get fired this offseason, why would they take a (large) step down to college when neither of them have shown any interest in it before?

To earn millions of dollars for underperforming?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Man texaggy is so apoplectic right now you almost feel bad for them.... almost

Auburn is favored

This board is true entertainment …

Sum up Jimbo in one word

I've been a fan a long time…. (hint they say 2016)

Cartman South Park GIF - Cartman South Park Tears Of Unfathomable Sadness GIFs

LOL             

crackeryack said:
Auburn -2. How bad are we?
BLSD said:

We are 3-6 with a loss to Appalachian State…….that clear it up?

best 6 loss team with a home Sun Belt loss in the nation babyy
  • Haha 5

Just now, Crapinon said:

LOL             

crackeryack said:
Auburn -2. How bad are we?
BLSD said:

We are 3-6 with a loss to Appalachian State…….that clear it up?

best 6 loss team with a home Sun Belt loss in the nation babyy

If the playoffs were 100 teams you gotta think they'd be right there on the cusp of being in. By the end of the year you have to think they'll be one of the best, if not the best, 8 loss teams in the nation. Definitely the highest paid 8 loss team.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, nnm said:

You can’t do this in employment law. As noted above, Jimbo likely has a contractual clause that requires him to be HFBC. Even if he doesn’t, re-assigning a senior executive (or HFBC) to meaningless tasks is called constructive discharge. Employee can sue for damages, which means anything contractually obligated.  In this case, the contract is crystal clear that’s the entire enchilada. 

The only reasons people accept demotions or reassignments like that is if they don’t have contractual or other legal leverage (Jimbo does) or they have incredible loyalty to the organization (ha!), or they think their prospects on the open market will be hurt if they get fired. Again, in this case, Jimbo has all the leverage and no other reasons to accept reassignment. Either aggy keeps him as HFBC or they pay the full contractual terms. They have absolutely no contractual or other leverage. 

If Weigman did have a concussion, was forced back in, and transfers out, they may well try to use that for a “for cause” termination. But it’s gonna get hella messy if they do. Jimbo’ll burn the place down. It may get them a discount on the buyout on termination though. 
The potential concussion for-cause scenario, with a threat of using sovereign immunity (ala Leach) is an interesting one. The big problem with it is that using sovereign immunity (which may well hold up) will absolutely kill their ability to attract another high profile corch. If candidate X (let’s call him Burban) knows that aggy will welch on their contract and not pay contractually-obligated compensation by hiding behind sovereign immunity, he’ll require them to provide other security, like a bond or similar note. Any of those guys are going to be as well represented, or better, as Jimbo, and aggy will have zero negotiating leverage. 

TLDR:  aggy is screwed. And it’s glorious. 

I'll have you know that I had a constructive discharge this very afternoon and it was anything but meaningless, sir.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Back in the day I used to love trolling texags asking what channel the game would be on. It was amazing how many games they had that were not shown.

I remember they had an incredible stat about their 2009 season, that they lost every game of theirs that was televised (7) but won all of them that weren't televised (6). 

I can't even remember the last time a Texas game wasn't televised. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I remember they had an incredible stat about their 2009 season, that they lost every game of theirs that was televised (7) but won all of them that weren't televised (6). 
I can't even remember the last time a Texas game wasn't televised. 

It was pretty sad back then. Even good matchups they had wouldn’t be shown over a shittier game. I kind of felt sad for them but it was fun to troll
  • Like 1