Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Had the highest grade in the class the semester I took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life, and also caught the Ramones at the Back Room. 

Dude! Major props and fuckin' rock on!!! Fugazi at Liberty Lunch, Fishbone at the Texas Union, Guns and Roses at Palmer Auditorium, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Opera House were some memorable ones, too!

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 71.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

5 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Dude! Major props and fuckin' rock on!!! Fugazi at Liberty Lunch, Fishbone at the Texas Union, Guns and Roses at Palmer Auditorium, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Opera House were some memorable ones, too!

rage against the machine opening for house of pain @ the back room 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Greek and Latin Elements in blah blah and Home and Family Finance for the GPA win! 

Was my first class at UT.  Aced it and thought to myself "this college stuff is going to be cake."  Three and a half years later, I scoot out the door with a degree and a smooth 2.88 GPA.  But I sure had fun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Y'uns say these guys are toothless racist hicks, and I agree.  The longer I go, the more I agree.  Texas hasn't played Aggy in what, 11 years?  And yet you're obsessed with these guys so much you (we) have a 1000+ page thread.  You're TEXAS.  They aren't.  Let your hate go, Guys.  You're above these dipshits.

You have no clue how annoying these fuckers are in real life.  They live and work amongst us.  There is no escaping.  We come here to ridicule and cope so that we don't get fired or arrested for losing our shit on the reg.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, deft said:

I had the Drake equation class at Welch and enjoyed it as well. Preceding that, I took the intro course with the tic professor. Can’t remember his name but that was a struggle to get through sometimes.

Derek Wills? I took Quasars and Cosmology with him. 

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Y'uns say these guys are toothless racist hicks, and I agree.  The longer I go, the more I agree.  Texas hasn't played Aggy in what, 11 years?  And yet you're obsessed with these guys so much you (we) have a 1000+ page thread.  You're TEXAS.  They aren't.  Let your hate go, Guys.  You're above these dipshits.

Comes to a discussion board to tell people not to discuss things.

Jenn-Loss.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

This thread is similar to a documentary film. We have to keep track of the lunacy.

I never want to play those fucking assholes again. They're toxic. Sort of like Ohio State fans.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I just don't get the ring thing. Turdition? https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3350728 

And contribute to the "Buy an underprivileged aggie a ring" and you can win a picture of a dog.  

https://www.dljfoundation.com/birthday

How much can one of those rings cost anyway...$1K? Lulz at so many aggy with  a degree from prestigious Texas A&M that cant front $1K. Apparently its such a problem they had to start a fucking charity. Worst case, you would think Cletus could probably pay it off @$15 a pop working aggy gloryhole duty.

Of course, then they'd all be walking around campus like Tom Brady. 

image.jpeg.88408599eb8c9165b5bfb119509196ac.jpeg

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

How much can one of those rings cost anyway...$1K? Lulz at so many aggy with  a degree from prestigious Texas A&M that cant front $1K. Apparently its such a problem they had to start a fucking charity. Worst case, you would think Cletus could probably pay it off @$15 a pop working aggy gloryhole duty.

Of course, then they'd all be walking around campus like Tom Brady. 

image.jpeg.88408599eb8c9165b5bfb119509196ac.jpeg

Maybe it’s just the resolution or lighting but holy crap, does Brady look old in that pic. 

Glad I popped in, but never took history of Rock and Roll.  Did see U2 at Club Foot when I was working there in 81, the at Opera House in '82 to flex... 😉  Clash at Austin Auditorium when it was basically a military storage like facility where UT would host the frat's fight nights.  Saw Tom Petty at Opera house after winning tix from KLBJ in Fall of '79.  I went to tons of concerts in HS but Austin was a lot smaller than Houston and the ability to see quality in a small venue is a jewel that should never be passed up.

Music is another reason I could never, ever, ever consider attending A&M.  How would you like to be a Ag Grad and spend the rest of your life seeing your Alma mater reinforce it's reputation for stupidity again, and again, and again.  Every time they get optimistic, the cruel reality of Agginess always rules the day.  Hell they even years ago claimed to be able to turn salt water into gold... If you can believe that fucking stupidity.

Ags are never to be hated.  They are to be mocked, with likely many episodes of repeated head shaking and laughter... That's is what Aggies are all about, something to giggle at!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, deft said:

I had the Drake equation class at Welch and enjoyed it as well. Preceding that, I took the intro course with the tic professor. Can’t remember his name but that was a struggle to get through sometimes.

Yep.  Pulsars [bimp] are very useful [bimp] tools in astronomy [bimp].  For an hour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Ags are never to be hated.  They are to be mocked, with likely many episodes of repeated head shaking and laughter... That's is what Aggies are all about, something to giggle at!

The thing that pisses me off about them is the stolen valor. Claiming Carswell as an aggy is repugnant. And they claim and trade on having more honor than any other university in the US that also sent men to fight and die in WWII and every other conflict. That disgustingly discounts and tosses aside the ultimate sacrifice that every other serviceman made. aggy blood isn’t somehow more holy or meaningful than USMA, USNA, Harvard, TCU, or UT blood. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This thread is similar to a documentary film. We have to keep track of the lunacy.

I never want to play those fucking assholes again. They're toxic. Sort of like Ohio State fans.

We were in the clear until our glorious leaders got involved

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

It was The Cult at Palmer. Guns n Roses did open the show, so I'll give you that.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

Glad I popped in, but never took history of Rock and Roll.  Did see U2 at Club Foot when I was working there in 81, the at Opera House in '82 to flex... 😉  Clash at Austin Auditorium when it was basically a military storage like facility where UT would host the frat's fight nights.  Saw Tom Petty at Opera house after winning tix from KLBJ in Fall of '79.  I went to tons of concerts in HS but Austin was a lot smaller than Houston and the ability to see quality in a small venue is a jewel that should never be passed up.

Music is another reason I could never, ever, ever consider attending A&M.  How would you like to be a Ag Grad and spend the rest of your life seeing your Alma mater reinforce it's reputation for stupidity again, and again, and again.  Every time they get optimistic, the cruel reality of Agginess always rules the day.  Hell they even years ago claimed to be able to turn salt water into gold... If you can believe that fucking stupidity.

Wow! Would have killed to see either but that was a few years before my time. The only time I ever hitchhiked, the guy who gave us a ride was at the Clash concert and at the video shoot for Rock the Casbah. My dream show! U2 right behind that. So friggin cool you got to see that!!!!! I heard the legends of those shows. Rock on!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Music and Austin are synonymous. Always has been, always will be. Nothing like growing up in Austin in the 60's & going to UT in the 70's.  The Music, and the puurrty girls used to ooze out of the cracks in the ground.  

Ok guys, do better.

It was the Austin Opry House, not Opera.  Austin used to have the Coliseum (fight nights, some concerts) and the Municipal Auditorium, where I saw my first concert, Led Zeppelin in 1969. I still remember them playing Dazed & Confused as we migrated from the balcony to the lower floor. 

Yes...at first, but they did change the name around 1978 or 79 to the Austin Opera House.  I think there was a convoluted lawsuit, or lawsuits, involving The Austin Opry/Opera House, the Texas Opry House in Houston, and the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville over the use of the word "Opry".  Anyway, after the name was changed, I saw Johnny Winter there in September 1981, with young Stevie Ray Vaughan opening.  Awesome night.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Yes...at first, but they did change the name around 1978 or 79 to the Austin Opera House.  I think there was a convoluted lawsuit, or lawsuits, involving The Austin Opry/Opera House, the Texas Opry House in Houston, and the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville over the use of the word "Opry".  Anyway, after the name was changed, I saw Johnny Winter there in September 1981, with young Stevie Ray Vaughan opening.  Awesome night.

Thank you. I know more than I did when I woke up.

• Like 1

What was the place off of south Congress? I think it used to be the convention center for a defunct hotel. Maybe the Terrace hotel? Caught Robert Palmer there. Foreigner at the Paramount when they were trying to get it restored. Man it was in bad shape back then.

Edited by 927 E. 41st

10 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

What was the place off of south Congress? I think it used to be the convention center for a defunct hotel. Maybe the Terrace hotel? Caught Robert Palmer there. Foreigner at the Paramount when they were trying to get it restored. Man it was in bad shape back then.

Yup...on Academy Drive, just east of S. Congress.

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

I don't see any Backroom talk. I definitely saw shows there, but I can't seem to recall who, though.

I saw a ton of shows there, and played a couple.  Ironically the best 3 I can recall weren't metal or hard rock bands:  The Smithereens, Del Amitri, and Special Beat.

• Hook 'Em 1