Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

9 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

However lets assume SEC is harder to win championships (Florida always in top 5 of Directors cup as an example).   Aggy still only avg'd about 2.8/yr conference championships over their last 10 years of Big 12 play.     They have always been under achievers.  

And 1/3 of their SEC championships are in Swimming/Diving and volleyball, and well....   we know how that is going to go.

I wonder what happens when a program that hasn't lost a conference title in men's swimming and diving since 1979 joins the SEC.

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• Replies 71.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

So i did a quick dive on this.    They have 18 SEC Championships since joining (of course aggy being aggy, they listed SEC west championships and end of season tourneys that I had to back out of what they have listed).

Over the same amount of time we have 83.   

However lets assume SEC is harder to win championships (Florida always in top 5 of Directors cup as an example).   Aggy still only avg'd about 2.8/yr conference championships over their last 10 years of Big 12 play.     They have always been under achievers.  

And 1/3 of their SEC championships are in Swimming/Diving and volleyball, and well....   we know how that is going to go.

Nice job.  So how many conf championships did Florida win per year?  We can assume we will be around that # given more competitive nature and FL will slide down a bit.  

Then aggies will slide down annual amount too...so what is that #?  18 divided by 10?  Is that how long they've been dominating the SEC?

So that 1.8 becomes 1.3 per year.

Without knowing FL average, my gut guess is we overtake in 5 years.

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That thread is even funnier because when A&M joined the SEC, before they even played a game in any sport, they filed an appeal to the SEC to get a waiver for the conference's student seating rules, which would force A&M to move some of their student seating away from the visitor bench.  aggy's appeal was full of references to TURDITION and the bestest student section in the history of the world, and yet the SEC just patted little aggy on the head and said, "You're not special.  Follow the rules."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/sec-to-aggie-band-and-other-students-seats-taken/

Forrest Gump Seats Taken GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Nice job.  So how many conf championships did Florida win per year?  We can assume we will be around that # given more competitive nature and FL will slide down a bit.  

Then aggies will slide down annual amount too...so what is that #?  18 divided by 10?  Is that how long they've been dominating the SEC?

So that 1.8 becomes 1.3 per year.

Without knowing FL average, my gut guess is we overtake in 5 years.

i couldn't find Florida's SEC championships in the 2 min on google i was going to devote to the topic, but they have 17 national championships since Aggy joined in 2012.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

i couldn't find Florida's SEC championships in the 2 min on google i was going to devote to the topic, but they have 17 national championships since Aggy joined in 2012.   

But if you don't do the research, that means I'd have to and that's not what the internet is for.  The internet is to take data from a complete stranger and use it like no truer words have ever been written.

Edited by Hornbeliever
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Modessit said:
4 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:
Snorted LOUDLY in a meeting when I read this post.  I knew that A&M was coming on the list of "6 Texases" but it happened anyway. 
Those fucking goobers aren't even as smart as a bowl of soup.

Notice they referred to it as six "Texases". Not six "Floridas". Or six "Alabamas". Or even six "aggy". They acknowledge we're Top Dog even when they try to put us down.

The best part of that diatribe is the fact he lists aggy last. He did that because he just couldn't let his Ego put that sentence on paper without including aggy on it, but he knows it isn't true or he would have listed them at or near the beginning. Reading it just makes you laugh for a new reason each time. #Giftthatkeepsgiving

Edited by Droopy
poooooooor aggy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Auburn cranked out a bunch of national titles in men's swimming and diving from the late 1990's on.  Georgia, Florida, and Auburn did the same on the women's side.

Florida, Georgia, LSU, Arkansas and A&M have won multiple men's track titles.  Same for A&M, LSU, Florida and Arkansas on the women's side.

The point is, the SEC has won plenty of minor sports titles, including A&M, over the last 2+ decades.  I don't think Texas will necessarily waltz in and dominate in those particular sports.  We might.

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The point is, the SEC has won plenty of minor sports titles, including A&M, over the last 2+ decades.  I don't think Texas will necessarily waltz in and dominate in those particular sports.  We might.

Yeah, we will most definitely not dominate.  However, I'd love to go 2X aggies each year at a minimum.

But 2 times 0 is 0 so maybe 2x aggies PLUS be top 3 in conference championships or something like that.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Auburn cranked out a bunch of national titles in men's swimming and diving from the late 1990's on.  Georgia, Florida, and Auburn did the same on the women's side.

Florida, Georgia, LSU, Arkansas and A&M have won multiple men's track titles.  Same for A&M, LSU, Florida and Arkansas on the women's side.

Men’s swimming has won 5 out of the last 8 national championships. Texas in general has won 8 national titles in the last 3 years. We’ll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Men’s swimming has won 5 out of the last 8 national championships. Texas in general has won 8 national titles in the last 3 years. We’ll be fine.

I didn't argue otherwise.  I'm simply pointing out that multiple SEC athletic departments have a fairly strong history in some of these minor sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

I try to stay off Texags but sometimes it's a good source of lunacy and humor. A writer at the Battalion suggest they quit worrying about the University of Texas (she get s called out for this naming heresy) and that they do act like the crazy ex-girlfriend. So 1/2 of Texags go crazy ex-girlfriend to say how she's wrong. 

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3361655/1 

17 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Yeah, we will most definitely not dominate.  However, I'd love to go 2X aggies each year at a minimum.

But 2 times 0 is 0 so maybe 2x aggies PLUS be top 3 in conference championships or something like that.

I was told there would be no math, but I think what you're looking for is a minimum of (aggy + 1) x 2.

Slight thread derail:

On 2/16/2023 at 12:11 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

They have 18 SEC Championships since joining (of course aggy being aggy, they listed SEC west championships and end of season tourneys that I had to back out of what they have listed).

This is not a question/comment specific to aggy at all, but more of what you consider a championship. 

Are you saying that if a team win the conference tournament, you would not count that as a championship?  That you consider the regular season winner the actual champion?

I ask because I've had this conversation w/ friends before and to me the tournament champ is the real champion - that's who goes to the NCAA Tourney w/ the auto-bid.  I suppose it doesn't matter as much in the P5 conferences that get 5+ teams in, but in the 1-bid leagues (the majority of the NCAA) a regular season title means nothing.

3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Slight thread derail:

This is not a question/comment specific to aggy at all, but more of what you consider a championship. 

Are you saying that if a team win the conference tournament, you would not count that as a championship?  That you consider the regular season winner the actual champion?

I ask because I've had this conversation w/ friends before and to me the tournament champ is the real champion - that's who goes to the NCAA Tourney w/ the auto-bid.  I suppose it doesn't matter as much in the P5 conferences that get 5+ teams in, but in the 1-bid leagues (the majority of the NCAA) a regular season title means nothing.

In the Big 12 and rest of the top 6 conferences I consider the regular season championship as the conference champion.  Too much luck goes into tournament championships in my opinion.  The 1 bid leagues you have to consider the tournament champion as the conference champion because that is who gets the bid and reward for their championship.  Same goes for baseball and all of the other sports.  The Texas Big 12 tournament championship in Shaka’s last year is the poster child for why I feel this way.

• Hook 'Em 2

Who Dat?? Who Dat???

(Co-Commentator’s response as Ricky de-cleated him)verbatim: “Dat my friends, is Ricky Williams! And if you don’t know who he is you’d better ask somebody”!!!!

Watched that game whilst sitting upright in my bedroom my senior year in high school, having just had all four of my fucking wisdom teeth removed.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I try to stay off Texags but sometimes it's a good source of lunacy and humor. A writer at the Battalion suggest they quit worrying about the University of Texas (she get s called out for this naming heresy) and that they do act like the crazy ex-girlfriend. So 1/2 of Texags go crazy ex-girlfriend to say how she's wrong. 

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3361655/1 

Quoting some person in there: 

No matter when you were at A&M you met this person. Black or white, pink or blue, Corps or civilian.....The most unhappy person in the world is the student at A&M that doesn't want to be there.

Since when was cosplay army not a civilian?

Does aggy that is currently participating in play army get to to board first on flights?  Do they get discounts at some retail locations?  Can they apply and receive USAA Insurance?  

I know, I know....rhetorical questions. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Slight thread derail:

Absolutely the regular season champion is the REAL conference champion.  The conference tournaments are made-for-tv events and they assign them the auto-bid to raise the stakes.  You win the conference by running the gauntlet over the course of the season, NOT by getting hot over a long weekend.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Slight thread derail:

Yes I consider the regular season championship as the real one.    

But in my comparison, I didn't count any of our tournament championships either.     So it is apples to apples.

Edited by Mr. Drummond
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

All that talk Aggy was gonna host the first game? Turns out aggy may have prematurely shot their wad again, from The Athletic:

Hide contents

One thing Bjork is certain of: The return of the rivalry will take place at Kyle Field. Asked why he’s so sure, he said, “just because of everything that’s transpired, and that’s something that we’ve expressed to the SEC, and I guess we’ll just leave it at that.”

Bjork, who first relayed that expectation last year to the Houston Chronicle, declined to say he received such assurances from Sankey or the league office, but added: “Let’s just say that is a very, very firm position from our standpoint.”

Del Conte, however, said, “that’s all news to me.”

“I haven’t heard that from anybody,” Del Conte said. “I read it somewhere, I just haven’t heard it from the powers that be. … As far as I know, that’s just internet fodder.”

It's turdition that UT hosts aggy in even years, you dumb sonofabitch.

aggy sure can pick 'em, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1

Bjork, who first relayed that expectation last year to the Houston Chronicle, declined to say he received such assurances from Sankey or the league office, but added: “Let’s just say that is a very, very firm position from our standpoint.”

So if the SEC schedules the first game in Austin, you'll be willing to forfeit?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fatheryeet said:

All that talk Aggy was gonna host the first game? Turns out aggy may have prematurely shot their wad again, from The Athletic:

Hide contents

One thing Bjork is certain of: The return of the rivalry will take place at Kyle Field. Asked why he’s so sure, he said, “just because of everything that’s transpired, and that’s something that we’ve expressed to the SEC, and I guess we’ll just leave it at that.”

“I haven’t heard that from anybody,” Del Conte said. “I read it somewhere, I just haven’t heard it from the powers that be. … As far as I know, that’s just internet fodder.”

He is the perfect A&M AD. With Texas joining in '25 it was just logical to think we'd play there inconsideration of their schedule with LSU and, I think, Alabama. Bjork spun this to make it look like the Aggies had some sway in the SEC and had insisted on it. Now that we start in '24, it's just logical to start here.

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fatheryeet said:

Hide contents

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need.

• Like 1