Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't Texas answer with like a 15 play drive that soaked up the almost the rest of the 2Q that ended with a 20-7 lead?

I believe they caused another r fumble from Swift? And then went down and scored. It's all a blur, but I remember what he said vividly, and then we did something to stop them. The pain in his voice was beyond soothing 

• Replies 71.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

3 hours ago, texaslong said:

ESPN has gotten lazy with college football. Anyone not associated with the SEC is considered devoid of athletes. I was surprised at how many times Blackledge would say "let's see how long this particular group for Texas can actually hold up though" after every play that Texas manhandled Georgia. It wasn't until the very end that they kind of gave credit to Texas for "possibly" being the better team. 

I think this is the thing that annoys me about the SEC SEC SEC stuff. It is not really about the SEC schools, many of which have great football programs worthy of respect, it is about the whole corporate brand mentality of the whole thing. Like football is just another branding and corporate bullshit product to brand and sell to the masses. Come buy the SEC SEC SEC they produce the best sportsball!!11 Really annoying and everything to do with the bullshit around sports than the actual sports themselves. So we have these supposed sports commentators who are really just marketing hacks for conference products rather than helping us understand and enjoy sports. Why is the SEC superior? BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE MOST BESTEST SPORTSBALL PLAYERS!!11 Thanks for the analysis.

I guess it helps with recruiting efforts of schools in the SEC conference so no wonder many of their fans are eager to propagate it. But it is really bad for the sport as a whole.

So anyway do not expect our performance to ever change the SEC narrative, it is a corporate branding strategy and not actually about informing the public. It is about convincing the public.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I think this is the thing that annoys me about the SEC SEC SEC stuff. It is not really about the SEC schools, many of which have great football programs worthy of respect, it is about the whole corporate brand mentality of the whole thing. Like football is just another branding and corporate bullshit product to brand and sell to the masses. Come buy the SEC SEC SEC they produce the best sportsball!!11 Really annoying and everything to do with the bullshit around sports than the actual sports themselves. So we have these supposed sports commentators who are really just marketing hacks for conference products rather than helping us understand and enjoy sports. Why is the SEC superior? BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE MOST BESTEST SPORTSBALL PLAYERS!!11 Thanks for the analysis.

I guess it helps with recruiting efforts of schools in the SEC conference so no wonder many of their fans are eager to propagate it. But it is really bad for the sport as a whole.

So anyway do not expect our performance to ever change the SEC narrative, it is a corporate branding strategy and not actually about informing the public. It is about convincing the public.

Our performance changed the SEC narrative for aggy...

01/01/2019 7:00pm    tu would lose every member of secsecsec (okay maybe not Vandy)

01/01/2019 10:45pm  tu would lose all of the secsecsec west. Perception cut in half and that sickening feeling Big Brother just pulled up in the driveway.

See "Idiocracy".

14 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Aggy will have 5 losses in 2019–at a minimum.

Losses are:

Bama - still daddy #2
Clemson - bc it’s Clemson
Georgia - more talent, kirby >>>> jimbo
LSU - hahahha cajuns wont be
denied their revenge, payback’s a bitch
Some rando team of equal takent will beat them for loss #5

They still play Auburn and the two Mississippi schools. I doubt they lose all three of those barring some kind of catastrophe but they're the equivalent of Kansas State and Tech for us in the 2000s-- it doesn't matter how good A&M's team is, you can't assume they'll win those games.

There is no reason to assume A&M's team is going to be better next year, either. Until I see a program convert recruiting classes into results on the field, the classes are just highly rated guesswork. I also don't think A&M's class is filled with 5* difference makers although someone who follows recruiting more closely than me (shouldn't be hard to find) can correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, there's reason for us as amused spectators to be hopeful that the roller coaster will crash and burn: let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they beat Auburn and Arkansas next year. Given that they will start the year somewhere between 10 and 15 in the poll, I expect they'd be ranked around 8th heading into the Alabama game. If 2019 is especially chaotic, or if A&M does the unthinkable and keeps the Clemson game REALLY close, they could be as high as 5th or 6th.

So they get a bye week, ranked in the Top 10, all the fat little coeds and even more desperate geeky dipshit Aggie boys telling them how great they are, leading into Alabama. And then they lose by 30, and then they go to Oxford, and then they host Mississippi State. 

There is your inflection point for 2019's roller coaster: from 4-1 and ranked in the Top 8 to 4-4 and hoping for bowl eligibility-- because at that point, they have two cupcakes (UTSA and South Carolina at home) left on the schedule, but then they play Georgia and LSU to close out the season.

So, I'll say 6-6 next year. Maybe 7-5 if they block a punt or something against Miss State. But possibly 5-7 if South Carolina, Arkansas, or Auburn get frisky. 

• Like 2

This is the 6th year in a row I have seen shaggy/surly predict a 6 loss A&M regular season.

Other hits include:

1. Arkansas will dominate aggy

2. LSU is DONE. Mad Hatter/Ogre is ruining them and they'll be lucky to win 7.

All of those things might eventually happen, and I would love to see it, but the local track record is not good.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

This is the 6th year in a row I have seen shaggy/surly predict a 6 loss A&M regular season.

Other hits include:

All of those things might eventually happen, and I would love to see it, but the local track record is not good.

So this isn't the 6th year in a row you've seen ME do it, nor have I said 1 or 2. Kindly fuck off.

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

They still play Auburn and the two Mississippi schools. I doubt they lose all three of those barring some kind of catastrophe but they're the equivalent of Kansas State and Tech for us in the 2000s-- it doesn't matter how good A&M's team is, you can't assume they'll win those games.

There is no reason to assume A&M's team is going to be better next year, either. Until I see a program convert recruiting classes into results on the field, the classes are just highly rated guesswork. I also don't think A&M's class is filled with 5* difference makers although someone who follows recruiting more closely than me (shouldn't be hard to find) can correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, there's reason for us as amused spectators to be hopeful that the roller coaster will crash and burn: let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they beat Auburn and Arkansas next year. Given that they will start the year somewhere between 10 and 15 in the poll, I expect they'd be ranked around 8th heading into the Alabama game. If 2019 is especially chaotic, or if A&M does the unthinkable and keeps the Clemson game REALLY close, they could be as high as 5th or 6th.

So they get a bye week, ranked in the Top 10, all the fat little coeds and even more desperate geeky dipshit Aggie boys telling them how great they are, leading into Alabama. And then they lose by 30, and then they go to Oxford, and then they host Mississippi State. 

There is your inflection point for 2019's roller coaster: from 4-1 and ranked in the Top 8 to 4-4 and hoping for bowl eligibility-- because at that point, they have two cupcakes (UTSA and South Carolina at home) left on the schedule, but then they play Georgia and LSU to close out the season.

So, I'll say 6-6 next year. Maybe 7-5 if they block a punt or something against Miss State. But possibly 5-7 if South Carolina, Arkansas, or Auburn get frisky. 

6-6 or 5-7?  The problem is, folks on this site say stuff like this every year, and they always tend to end up 8-4.  Despite all if the bristling hatred of the SEC on the surl, people here STILL overrate that conference.  You'd have to think Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, and Arkansas are actually worth a shit, to believe that the Aggies don't have a good chance of beating any or all of them.  We know they're going to lose to Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia.  But beyond that, none of their schedule is particularly tough.  They even managed to beat LSU finally last year, in the bestest game ever played in all of college football history!  So sure, they'll likely trip up against one of the Mississippi schools like they always do, and might lose one to Auburn or LSU.  But they're still looking like an 8-4 or 7-5 team at worst, simply because aside from Alabama the SEC just isn't that good.

• Like 4

You'd have to think Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, and Arkansas are actually worth a shit, 

I think at 6-6 I have them beating Auburn, South Carolina, and Arkansas so no, I don't think any of those teams are worth a shit. I have them losing to Ole Miss because it's on the road the week after they play their most physically imposing opponent. And I have them losing to Mississippi State because I am a big fan of Joe Moorhead. That one being in College Station is the only one I feel is a reach. They could certainly win it, but coming off what I think will be two straight losses, I don't exactly think I'm saying "THEY'LL LOSE TO NORTHWEDTERN STATE!!!!!!" 

I appreciate being told I'm not thinking this through enough and A&M was 8-4 under Kevin Sumlin a lot so I should stop saying in 2019 they might not be. I rescind my prediction and I'll say A&M goes 8-4 next year. 

A&M is unlikely to go 5-7 or 6-6 so long as they get to play 4 FCS schools every season. The SEC is designed to inflate W-L record, it is good for their branding strategy.

Granted Arkansas did something I did not think was possible this season by losing to both Colorado State and North Texas so I guess even a carefully cultivated branding strategy can fail sometimes in the uncertainty of sports.

Edited by Valmy77

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

A&M is unlikely to go 5-7 or 6-6 so long as they get to play 4 FCS schools every season. The SEC is designed to inflate W-L record, it is good for their branding strategy.

Jesus. I would get scarcely more pushback on this prediction if I posted it on fucking Texags.

Let me try one more time. Please explain how this is unreasonable:

Texas State: win

@ Clemson: loss

Lamar: win

Auburn: win

Arkansas: win

BYE

Bama: loss

@ Ole Miss: loss

Miss State: loss

UTSA: win

BYE

South Carolina: win

@ Georgia: loss

@ LSU: loss

If they sweep the Mississippi schools, they'll be 8-4, but I have legitimate reasons for thinking that won't happen, briefly mentioned above.

If you're going to sit there and use "people say A&M will go 6-6 every year but they go 8-4" as analysis, then I can say "they lose to the Mississippi schools all the fucking time" as an equally valid way of "analyzing" the schedule.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Jesus. I would get scarcely more pushback on this prediction if I posted it on fucking Texags.

Let me try one more time. Please explain how this is unreasonable:

It isn't unreasonable. They very well might go 8-5 or 7-6, though I will be surprised if they win less than 9. I was just commenting on the whole "OMG EVERYBODY ON THIS SITE THINKS A&M IS GOING TO GO 5-7". Nobody thinks that.

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think at 6-6 I have them beating Auburn, South Carolina, and Arkansas so no, I don't think any of those teams are worth a shit. I have them losing to Ole Miss because it's on the road the week after they play their most physically imposing opponent. And I have them losing to Mississippi State because I am a big fan of Joe Moorhead. That one being in College Station is the only one I feel is a reach. They could certainly win it, but coming off what I think will be two straight losses, I don't exactly think I'm saying "THEY'LL LOSE TO NORTHWEDTERN STATE!!!!!!" 

I appreciate being told I'm not thinking this through enough and A&M was 8-4 under Kevin Sumlin a lot so I should stop saying in 2019 they might not be. I rescind my prediction and I'll say A&M goes 8-4 next year. 

You seem to be taking this all very personally. No need to rescind, but you might want to take a step back from the keyboard for a while.  

I'd be delighted if the ags went 6-6 or 5-7.  I just don't think the SEC is good enough to put them there.  They're actually one of the better teams in a thoroughly average conference, and they play Lamar, Texas State, and UTSA in their OOC which already easily gets them halfway to 6-6.

It don't make a shit.

Other hits include:

Are you not entertained?

Having atm as 6-6 just seems like wishful thinking and a flavor of the month. 

They were pretty good this season and are adding a top 10 recruiting class to the mix. 

They won their bowl game by 39 points.

I'd honestly be pretty shocked if they dropped 6 games. They have 4 tough contests and 8 games they should win.

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Did aggy give their SEC card back after Wake Forest?

Or Kansas State? Or Louisville?

They finally win a Bowl Game after four years and suddenly they can talk shit on Georgia. And it is not just some moron fans doing it, but their media members.

Edited by Valmy77

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Or Kansas State? Or Louisville?

They finally win a Bowl Game after four years and suddenly they can talk shit on Georgia. And it is not just some moron fans doing it, but their media members.

To be fair, those two groups are exactly the same people...

• Like 3

Yeah, I've given up thinking the bottom is going to drop out on them. It would be glorious if it ever did suddenly (like 2010 Texas), but more likely they'll go 9-4 or 8-5 every year due to the cupcake nature of SEC scheduling and - as much as we like to mock them - some of the inherent advantages of being the #2 football program in the state.  We make fun of them, but there are a whole lot of gomers in Texas, many of them rich, and a lot of national people who take them as a serious power and there are benefits that come from that. 

Hell, I quit reflexively betting against them a couple of years ago and started making money on their games once I started thinking about it objectively. 

That said, that doesn't mean there can't be aggy tears every year and it doesn't mean the roller coaster isn't real. They might have more advantages than we want to admit, but there is still a ceiling and it's waaaaaay below what those morons expect every year. They'll never go undefeated in the TOUGHEST DIVISION IN COLLEGE FOOTBAW!!!!! and until Saban finally dies they'll never compete for a championship, either.  

So, quit wishing for more and enjoy the gift that they are, amirite? 

EDIT: This isn't intended as a rebuttal or contradiction of Swandered. I'm just participating in the conversation. He might be right for all I know, I haven't thought about their 2019 schedule very deeply yet. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasMan said:

At 1:38:45, Looch had a long winded rant about how he (sort of) gave Texas credit for winning, but it was more someone kidnapped Kirby Smart and put Frank Drebin in his place (??), makes fun of the UGA punter's haircut like the classless dbag he is, says Sam is annoying but sort of respects him, doesn't respect Georgia anymore and they should answer to Sankey for embarrassing the conference, and how Mizzou  "should lose their SEC card" for losing to a 6-6 Big 12 team for the 2nd year in a row. Oh, and this loss now means SEC West is even better and aggy is coming home to roost. 

Just an outstanding stream of consciousness coming from someone who's missing a chromosome or two. 

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TexAgsRadio/~5/qviJrqlUQXI/0110689-eclu.mp3

Can you imagine what a brain scan would look like when he comes up with his nonsense?

If Malzahn is calling plays again like he did in Auburn’s bowl game, I think they’ll be pretty good next year and will beat aggy. Unfortunately, Mississippi State will suck next year without Nick Fitzgerald at QB and the game is at aggy. Ole miss will continue to suck as well. I don’t see them losing to either Mississippi school. I do think they’ll lose to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, at LSU and Auburn. They’ll win against the dregs of the SEC and their horrible ooc schedule. 7-5 seems about right. Maybe 8-4 with some luck.

aggy has beaten 2 ranked opponents in 2018, KY (ranked 14th at the time) and LSU (ranked 11th). 

The LSU "victory" was clearly a sham, but even with that they were beaten by 3 ranked opponents (Bama, Clemson, MS), one unranked (Auburn).

The other triumphs were Nicholls State,NW ST, LA Monroe, Piggy, Ole Miss, UAB, and an unrated NC State in their bowl game.

Lots of pride there.......they should just keep their head down and STFU but monumental wins over FCS schools and monumental losses against FBS schools really means something to these SEC parasites, and pseudo guardians of the SEC universe. 

hell Rumlin was going 8-5/4-4 but you always felt a 6-6 or 5-7 was around the corner with him.  he tightroped a bunch of games.  They won't admit it but the reality is they are paying Jimbo to not let the bottom fall out and hope they get lucky that LSU falls off and Saban retires soon.  if they don't do it with the 2020/2021 schedules it ain't happening. 

the key to their season is always going to be South Carolina, Miss schools.  if they win those 3. 8 wins for sure and 9 wins is likely and in 2020/2021 it's probably 10.