Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Yeah, I never went to a hex rally.
Did go to a bonfire pep rally at dusk in 1961 or ‘62 down by the Colorado river where the big lawn area is now. LH Band was there with the team. Cactus Pryor cracked some funny aggy jokes from atop a flatbed trailer and DKR gave a short pep talk. A moderate pile of scrap lumber & dead tree branches were lit.
Adult beverages were in abundance, so much of the crowd was lit too.
From my 1962 Cactus:

01EBCCF1-1174-445C-8809-A530FFA05154.thumb.jpeg.617598ca8960c4e91587dc62124c3ca4.jpeg

Afraid of getting called a witch or warlock back then?

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well to be fair Aggies are just now noticing it too after however many years of just blindly doing something as they are wont to do.

Screenshot_20220914-083326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d6759a2def5f893f1a6fa942fea3f6f8.jpg

It'd be cool if aggy were cool... I mean the freshmen have to learn their regard cheers at some point... They just need to be funny and own it if you lose... I think the answer for Aggy is to just quit filming shit. Check student phones at the gate, no aggy marketing cameras, let them be regarded in private.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

So they're afraid to bench the starter because his dad's a high school coach and they're worried it would hurt recruiting? First, aren't coaches harder on their own than they are others? 

I don't buy that narrative at all. If anything Jimbo is being stubborn in not wanting to admit that he was wrong when he went with him.  

The press conference questions asking him if he'd let someone else call plays or would his ego get in the way etc were hilarious, because that's exactly the issue and I know he wanted to strangle the guy that asked him that

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

FclIzQjX0AAEAM5?format=jpg&name=large

I mean.. you gotta love it. Guaranteeing a coach $75mm & then upping it after 1 non-mediocre season where the entire world was in shambles is just.. great. Even we aren't that dumb. 

Assuming they're going to want at least a top-tier, proven coordinator, more likely a proven P5 HC, they're looking at >$100mm anytime before 2027 based on today's contracts - which will only go up by then - & that's just Jimbo's buyout + new coach contract. That doesn't include the actual buyout of said new coach from his current school, his new assistants buyouts + new contracts, the current assistants buyouts, the amount of money it'll take to keep the players on the team that are worth something, & whatever incentives you have to throw in to convince someone to move to fucking B/CS. I know they like to tout how much money they have & Eagle Ford & all that, but I don't see how they can do anything until 2029 if they're still going 8-4 (lol at "keeps putting up 9-3..records" since he has yet to do that at a&m w/o a pandemic). Maybe they can find a way to fire him with cause (or get him to negotiate a lower buyout so that they don't have to) or see if they can unload him on another school & have that help with the buyout, but this is what you get for giving someone a fully guaranteed contract & then doubling down on it. Congrats.

So they're afraid to bench the starter because his dad's a high school coach and they're worried it would hurt recruiting? First, aren't coaches harder on their own than they are others? He should recognize his son isn't getting it done and push him to get better including if that means from the bench.

He was pretty hard on him on the local ETX news last week about the 2 picks in the Sam game. Bet he is also just as critical on Jimbo behind closed doors. 

So they're afraid to bench the starter because his dad's a high school coach and they're worried it would hurt recruiting? First, aren't coaches harder on their own than they are others? He should recognize his son isn't getting it done and push him to get better including if that means from the bench. Second, about 10 years ago I remember OSU signed a high profile QB recruit who was going to show up in the spring but there were some issues that might have prevented it that were worked out but he had already decommitted and ended up at Nebraska. His father was a Texas high school coach and the recruiting nerds were up in arms that we'd never recruit from Texas ever again. That didn't exactly happen and I don't think the kid ever played a down at Nebraska. TLDR, they're cowards. 

Are you saying Texas high schoo corches are full of bluster and bullshit? How very dare you sir. 

1 hour ago, ChickenNuggets said:

It'd be cool if aggy were cool... I mean the freshmen have to learn their regard cheers at some point... They just need to be funny and own it if you lose... I think the answer for Aggy is to just quit filming shit. Check student phones at the gate, no aggy marketing cameras, let them be regarded in private.

Except that is literally their national commercial that they play to highlight the school during football games, with Jimbo sitting in his office jerking it to the cheers going on outside. Advantage aggy?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, hook me said:

I mean.. you gotta love it. Guaranteeing a coach $75mm & then upping it after 1 non-mediocre season where the entire world was in shambles is just.. great. Even we aren't that dumb.

We’re dumb too, but yes not THAT dumb.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/ut-extends-longhorns-coach-tom-hermans-contract-till-2023/

Oh you think is a joke, Hayes?  I can come up with alternatives other than Crete.  I'm real good at stuff like that.  I got people stuck in places they haven't even considered how to get out of yet.  You don't think I can come up with something good?  Can you envision some fairly unattractive alternatives?  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Oh you think is a joke, Hayes?  I can come up with alternatives other than Crete.  I'm real good at stuff like that.  I got people stuck in places they haven't even considered how to get out of yet.  You don't think I can come up with something good?  Can you envision some fairly unattractive alternatives?  

Not without slides.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

That's the exact raise I had in mind when I included the word "that". 2 extra years @ 6.75mm was dumb, but it's pennies compared to what a&m did. Of course, if you're dumb enough to give $75mm guaranteed for the initial contract you're dumb enough to overpay on a dumb extension as well

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

So they're afraid to bench the starter because his dad's a high school coach and they're worried it would hurt recruiting? First, aren't coaches harder on their own than they are others? He should recognize his son isn't getting it done and push him to get better including if that means from the bench. Second, about 10 years ago I remember OSU signed a high profile QB recruit who was going to show up in the spring but there were some issues that might have prevented it that were worked out but he had already decommitted and ended up at Nebraska. His father was a Texas high school coach and the recruiting nerds were up in arms that we'd never recruit from Texas ever again. That didn't exactly happen and I don't think the kid ever played a down at Nebraska. TLDR, they're cowards. 

Ol Jimbo has hisself cornered, and probably already has hisself screwed with ETX coaching. 
Do you think the guy below blames his 5* son for his failures? Do you think he’ll agree with Jimbo that little boy King sucks?
Of course not. You've gotta believe that the narrative in Longview and broader ETX is that King’s struggles are entirely because of lack of development, scheme, and poor coaching on the OL.
If Jimbo continues to play King and he struggles, Jimbo’s screwed because it’s his fault King is struggling and Jimbo will be blamed for King’s digression. If he benches him, King will transfer and burn the place on his way out.  Either way, Jimbo ruined poor little King boy. 
Seriously, look at Corch King. He’s the one responsible for manipulating the ratings to get little boy King rated as a 5*. He may have been hard on him when he was coaching him, but those days are done. Now that his coaching part is done, do you think he will ever admit that his boy has deficiencies? 
As someone posted above, 

You hate to see it. 
But more importantly,

You love to see it. 
253AC1E3-7154-4689-B02D-9F361A11E15C.thumb.jpeg.6c52eae47f9c1f6664c8c24cb5929f73.jpeg

Edited by nnm
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, nnm said:

Ol Jimbo has hisself cornered, and probably already has hisself screwed with ETX coaching. 
Do you think the guy below blames his 5* son for his failures? Do you think he’ll agree with Jimbo that little boy King sucks?
Of course not. You've gotta believe that the narrative in Longview and broader ETX is that King’s struggles are entirely because of lack of development, scheme, and poor coaching on the OL.
If Jimbo continues to play King and he struggles, Jimbo’s screwed because it’s his fault King is struggling and Jimbo will be blamed for King’s digression. If he benches him, King will transfer and burn the place on his way out.  Either way, Jimbo ruined poor little King boy. 
Seriously, look at Corch King. He’s the one responsible for manipulating the ratings to get little boy King rated as a 5*. He may have been hard on him when he was coaching him, but those days are done. Now that his coaching part is done, do you think he will ever admit that his boy has deficiencies? 
As someone posted above, 

You hate to see it. 
But more importantly,

You love to see it. 
253AC1E3-7154-4689-B02D-9F361A11E15C.thumb.jpeg.6c52eae47f9c1f6664c8c24cb5929f73.jpeg

I guess we know who Haynes got the butthole eyes from...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Except that is literally their national commercial that they play to highlight the school during football games, with Jimbo sitting in his office jerking it to the cheers going on outside. Advantage aggy?

Amazingly the Yell Practice isn’t even the stupidest part of that commercial. The shot of Jimbo at the end is so fucking ridiculous. Showing a slimy, mediocre football coach isn’t the positive reflection on their university that they think it is.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

FclIzQjX0AAEAM5?format=jpg&name=large

If he's owed thru 2031 wouldn't firing him in 2031 mean they would owe him 9.5 in 2031 and not "nothing". If they fired him today in 2022 they would have to cut a check for 85.9 + what they haven't already paid him in 2022.  Assuming they don't give him all 9.5 on 1/1 of each year, yes?   Not that it matters, just want a laugh at a few million more. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Their entire sales pitch for the university is about the football program and the lamest traditions ever created? JFC, that's pathetic. All of these commercials you see talk about the academic side as well. These clowns are hopeless.

Their entire plan for the last decade has been to balloon their enrollment with second rate applicants, continue declaring they're a great school even while the first step devalues their degrees, get all those graduates to give to the athletics program, ???, profit. Seriously. I know that you know after this long but the SEC and the nation are learning that we really weren't exaggerating about them. And we're still not. 

They have a plan to intentionally hurt their academic profile and devalue their alumni's degrees in order to help their athletics program. And they think they can overcome the academic harm by simply loudly shouting they're a great school because that actually works on their alumni. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Their entire plan for the last decade has been to balloon their enrollment with second rate applicants, continue declaring they're a great school even while the first step devalues their degrees, get all those graduates to give to the athletics program, ???, profit. Seriously. I know that you know after this long but the SEC and the nation are learning that we really weren't exaggerating about them. And we're still not. 

They have a plan to intentionally hurt their academic profile and devalue their alumni's degrees in order to help their athletics program. And they think they can overcome the academic harm by simply loudly shouting they're a great school because that actually works on their alumni. 

I always equate it to "jus primae noctis" but in hillbilly terms.  We'll crank out so many alums that we'll dominate the state by brute force/breeding

1 hour ago, nnm said:

As someone posted above, 

You hate to see it. 
But more importantly,

You love to see it. 

Pretty sure King was never a 5-star and he had a lousy senior season at The View.

28 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sheesh, trying to lay a sick burn on aggy and can't spell Appalachian correctly.  The intent is still hilarious though.

Maybe they only had two H's at their disposal.

52 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If he's owed thru 2031 wouldn't firing him in 2031 mean they would owe him 9.5 in 2031 and not "nothing". If they fired him today in 2022 they would have to cut a check for 85.9 + what they haven't already paid him in 2022.  Assuming they don't give him all 9.5 on 1/1 of each year, yes?   Not that it matters, just want a laugh at a few million more. 

I can honestly see aggy setting him up with some contrived bullshit where the can fire him "with cause".  Illegal inducements or that sort of thing,  it's coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, General Specific said:

842154a3a1f487140a0b8b04bfadf7ea.jpeg

That's the thing... I'm not. The Corps "squeezing"? I watched that game live. I had a friend who graduated a year before me, went to A&M and joined the Corps. He tried to get me to come stay a night in the dorm because of how "cool" it was.  Even in high school I knew that shit was weird.

But literally decades after my first exposure, it's still jaw-dropping in the amount of cringe.

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I can honestly see aggy setting him up with some contrived bullshit where the can fire him "with cause".  Illegal inducements or that sort of thing,  it's coming.

And then all the details played out through FOIA requests... oh man. I see it already.

35 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You mean like all the shit Saban accused him of earlier in the year?

Edited by BB65
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

How in  the fuck is Yell Practice and any of the other "traditions" of A&M just now getting noticed by other SEC schools, especially LSU fans?

The truth is nobody really pays attention to aggy. Their claim to fame is being that other university from Texas that joined the SEC.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure King was never a 5-star and he had a lousy senior season at The View.

Maybe they only had two H's at their disposal.

Dude, King was absolutely ranked as a 5 star by at least one service, if not the composite, the summer before his senior year. He plummeted like a rock during his senior year, but it was a mindblowing thing to watch on the recruiting side when he was being lauded due to some stupid fucking camp.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, King was absolutely ranked as a 5 star by at least one service, if not the composite, the summer before his senior year. He plummeted like a rock during his senior year, but it was a mindblowing thing to watch on the recruiting side when he was being lauded due to some stupid fucking camp.

He climbed to #25 in the composite (in August) before he started playing real games and plummeting in the rankings.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Haynes-King-at-Longview-218767/RecruitRankHistory/

Edited by Mikey4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At least he had the stones to go to the frickin camps, unlike Arch /aggy

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Looks like ol Jimbo is watching game film on Candi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2