Kid Rock (and Bud Light slap-fight) y’all

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I get people drinking Bud Light/CL/ML.  It's most likely someone who likes the numbing effect of alcohol but doesn't actually like the taste of beer (and I get that; there was a time when I didn't like the taste of beer.  

I don't get people drinking Budweiser, though.   That shit tastes like corn.

I never did like Bud, always tasted gross to me.  So I never drank Bud Light, on purpose.  I drank a fuckload of Miller Lite and Coors Light though.  Coors and Coors Light got cloying though.  I also drank a shitload of craft beer, especially Celis White.

After Junior got got, I drank a lot of lower tier beer out of kegs, Beast, Lone Star, PBR.  Shit was nasty, especially when less than ice cold.

I haven't had a beer in 26.5 years, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no choice.  Born and raised in/near St. Louis -- from HS keggers on it was Budweiser.  No Bud Light, just heavy.  That was it.  Oh, and Michelob, but that was too pricey for kids.

Coors wasn't even AVAILABLE in the state.  Allegedly, they had to truck it around through Iowa/Arkansas.  (That does seem to be an interstate commerce violation, but Coors sure wasn't distributed anywhere, regardless.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

I had no choice.  Born and raised in/near St. Louis -- from HS keggers on it was Budweiser.  No Bud Light, just heavy.  That was it.  Oh, and Michelob, but that was too pricey for kids.
Coors wasn't even AVAILABLE in the state.  Allegedly, they had to truck it around through Iowa/Arkansas.  (That does seem to be an interstate commerce violation, but Coors sure wasn't distributed anywhere, regardless.)

e25e732a4665fc30c151da998a0bc834.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The two StL guys in my freshman dorm drank nothing but Busch Lite.  I don't think the rest of us had ever heard of Busch Lite.

• Hook 'Em 1

We did eventually veer off into cases of Goebel for $4.44 minus a $1 refund.  "Goebel for it" was a common refrain at our parties.

The similarity of the name to that of the evil Nazi propagandist was wholly lost on us.  Drunk and stupid is a bad mix.

35 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Bud light was fancy beer in college. Only drank Natural Light, Busch Light, and Keystone.

As someone who was responsible for purchasing massive quantities of beer on a regular basis, Keystone purchased at Sam’s was the best value if buying by the case.

There are times when you want to drink beer for many hours without getting shitfaced drunk.  Try that with a 9% IPA and you'll end up pissing your pants in front of company and sleeping on the couch for a week.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There are times when you want to drink beer for many hours without getting shitfaced drunk.  Try that with a 9% IPA and you'll end up pissing your pants in front of company and sleeping on the couch for a week.

Oddly specific.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Gil Bang changed the title to Kid Rock (and Bud Light slap-fight) y’all
On 6/5/2023 at 1:32 PM, kevwun said:

So much this.  I don't give a fuck what people drink because it has zero effect on me.

It does bother me. I went to a pizza place with some family, and they had a bunch of craft beer on tap including some from a local award-winning distillery that brews on the side and is hard to find. Like a normal, curious human being I opted for that to see what it tastes like and the others opted for their usual Michelob and Bud Light. Zero curiosity, which is weird to me. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, and maybe I just have a type, but I think she looks incredibly hawt strutting around playing that guitar smiling in a see-through dress in that video above:

image.png.dbad9efb9cfcadb8962dcdabd7e9a5e8.png

Definitely in but Throwing Muses >>> Belly

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Plenty of craft brewers are making "session" beers with less than 4% alcohol. I've seen as low as 2.5% and still really good, more tasty than BL etc., and lagers not IPAs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

As someone who was responsible for purchasing massive quantities of beer on a regular basis, Keystone purchased at Sam’s was the best value if buying by the case.

Busch Light kegs were our most economical beer delivery vehicles when I was at CofC. 40 bucks IIRC

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Plenty of craft brewers are making "session" beers with less than 4% alcohol. I've seen as low as 2.5% and still really good, more tasty than BL etc., and lagers not IPAs.

Any recs?  Always on the lookout for a decent low ABV beer.  Most of what I've tried sucks.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Bud light was fancy beer in college. Only drank Natural Light, Busch Light, and Keystone.

47 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I drank Old Mil and Stroh's.

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We did eventually veer off into cases of Goebel for $4.44 minus a $1 refund.  "Goebel for it" was a common refrain at our parties.

The similarity of the name to that of the evil Nazi propagandist was wholly lost on us.  Drunk and stupid is a bad mix.

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Busch Light kegs were our most economical beer delivery vehicles when I was at CofC. 40 bucks IIRC

Aging myself but back at UVA Carling's Black Label was the go to for cheap beer.  I think it was like $3 a case.  Nasty stuff.

Edited by DDD Dad

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any recs?  Always on the lookout for a decent low ABV beer.  Most of what I've tried sucks.

PM @HenryJames

You could try a few of these if you haven't already (assuming you are talking IPA's):

Bell's Light Hearted IPA

Cigar City Jai-Low

Founder's All Day (or All Day Haze) IPA

Odell's Good Behavior

Oskar Blues One-y (100 calories, hazy IPA)

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Keystone Ice baby!  Got you fucked up. Woke up on a Wednesday morning on the side of my apartment pool with responsible kids going to class and stepping over me one day. Ah well. 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Keystone Ice baby!  Got you fucked up. Woke up on a Wednesday morning on the side of my apartment pool with responsible kids going to class and stepping over me one day. Ah well. 

Username checks out.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Drinking one at PHP as we speak. 

70785506798__8251276C-D57A-4EAA-A4BC-36B7CC5CBAAB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You could try a few of these if you haven't already (assuming you are talking IPA's):

Founder's All Day (or All Day Haze) IPA

I've had that one, it's better than most.  Thanks for the other recs.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

One time i was broker than usual and saw a 12 pack of this beer called "Steel Reserve." Had never heard of it before, but it was the cheapest on the shelf. Drank the whole 12 pack that afternoon. Woke up at about 3 am with my face stuck to the carpet. Couldn't figure out why I got so fucked up. Then looked at the empty box. 8.1% ABV

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It does bother me. I went to a pizza place with some family, and they had a bunch of craft beer on the tap including some from a local distillery that brews on the side. Like a normal, curious human being I opted for that to see what it tastes like and the others opted for their usual Michelob and Bud Light. Zero curiosity, which is weird to me.

What kind of pizza did you order?    Did you get away from your usual favorite and try something very different?  

"I'm a sausage and peppers guy, but fuck it, give me the Anchovy and Garlic"?

Nah...you got sausage and peppers, because YOU KNOW WHAT YOU FUCKING LIKE

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

What kind of pizza did you order?    Did you get away from your usual favorite and try something very different?  

"I'm a sausage and peppers guy, but fuck it, give me the Anchovy and Garlic"?

Nah...you got sausage and peppers, because YOU KNOW WHAT YOU FUCKING LIKE

Nah I got the weekly special and a flavor of wing I hadn't tried before.

Now, I have my favorite beers that I buy over something I haven't tried before from time to time so I get your point (and its a good point) but these dudes buy it every single time And never venture out of their comfort zone for anything ever. Boring as hell

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

did it give you die shitz?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you in Austin? I don’t really drink beer like I used to but my absolute favorite is Peticolas Golden Opportunity and it’s 4.6% ABV. Trouble is you can only find it within 40 miles or so (at least that used to be the case) of the brewery in Dallas. I’m not sure if St Arnold qualifies as craft any more but Lawnmower is always a nice call on a hot summer day. Love Street from Karbach is in the same vein but it’s probably no longer craft either. I went through my IPA stage and don’t really pick them out these days.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eh, if you think about it, it’s not all that odd. 

It’s a common fetish for a doting man to ballerina on the coffee table cock in hand

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Aging myself but back at UVA Carling's Black Label was the go to for cheap beer.  I think it was like $3 a case.  Nasty stuff.

My best friend would drink that.  He insisted that it was called Black Label because "there are specks of black stuff floating around in it." 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

No one going to bring up Schafer's or Mickey's Big Mouth?  Had a roommate in college that drank a 12er of Keystone Light for dinner every night.

Mickey's Big Mouth is ass.

When I was in high school, my buddies and I would spend weekends at my uncle's ranch, where my retired grandpa functioned as the foreman.  The deal was this: during the day, he got to use us as labor.  All the hard, sweaty ranch work you could imagine: fence work, painting equipment, changing out plow blades, clearing brush, you name it.  In exchange, we got 1) a fridge stocked with beer, and 2) after grandpa went home for the day, we had the run of the place and could drive jeeps around dangerously and spotlight jackrabbits and such.  It was a fantastic deal.

But one trip, my buddies approach me - "we don't want to sound ungrateful, but the fridge has had Texas Pride in it the last three trips.  Can you ask your gandpa to stock it with better beer?"  Well, shit.  I will, but he's not gonna take too kindly to it.  I do, and he just glares at me.  I figure the conversation is over.

Next trip, we show up out there, and he begins laying out for us what our task list for the day is: burning brush, changing a giant tractor tire, that sort of shit.  And then he says "and you boys....go look in the fridge and see what I got ya."  But he can't wait for us to look, he has to tell us, because he's so damn pleased with himself... "I got you Miller High Life."  And then he says, without an ounce of irony "you know....that's the champagne of beers."  

We were thrilled, as it was indeed a huge step up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

No one going to bring up Schafer's or Mickey's Big Mouth?  Had a roommate in college that drank a 12er of Keystone Light for dinner every night.

Roomie?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

"you know....that's the champagne of beers."  

And he was god damn right

13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Steel Reserve is for the homeless and pledges

I'll never forget the first time I bought that shit. Was doing a gtg with some buds for a long weekend and I was in charge of booze. I had like $12 left in the allotted drinking fund, so as a lark I grabbed a 12-pack of SR and brought it along. My bestie was the first to arrive after me and we both cracked one opened, cheersed, and then both took a big ole chug. We were gagging within in seconds. We poured out what we couldn't choke down and for the rest of the weekend that shit was either a punishment or a challenge, depending on the circumstances. Whatever this tastes like is exactly what SR tastes

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I legit wonder if bud light sales actually our umber the combined sales of what would be considered Craft Beer. 

Yes.  Bud Light sales - 31.3 million barrels in 2022.  In 2022, small and independent brewers collectively produced 24.3 million barrels of beer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Yes.  Bud Light sales - 31.3 million barrels in 2022.  In 2022, small and independent brewers collectively produced 24.3 million barrels of beer.

1.) Props for understanding my fucking garbled post

2.) If it's true that Bud Light sales have dropped 30%, now Craft Beers would beat it. Interesting, completely fucking worthless factoid.