2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

I thought we needed a separate thread for running updates and 9.95 articles on the staff so that we didn't clog the recruiting board.

So Far all That we Know is Lovo is coming to be the Football Oerations AD: 

And we are likely Targeting Samples. This is a thread for more concrete news/speculation than it is for complaining about X's and O's. Big time offseason boys. 

I posted this in the recruiting thread but its more relevant here. 

I am just so fascinated by what sark is going to do with the defensive staff. 

Option A) Let PK bring in his own Secondary guys

Option B) Fire PK and Choate and bring in a more SEC Type coordinator

Option C) Fire everyone not named Bo Davis and start completely over

It's really hard for me to see them letting Gideon go. Thats gotta be a bad PR move with him being a letterman and playing so recently. Thats a lot of alumni support potentially gone out of the window. 

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It's really hard for me to see them letting Gideon go. Thats gotta be a bad PR move with him being a letterman and playing so recently. Thats a lot of alumni support potentially gone out of the window. 

What "alumni support" are we in danger of losing? They sat on their asses on NIL. Does this mean that they'll donate less to the program? Since that's the only thing we seem to give a shit about, and the only thing that motivates the athletic department to do anything, I'd see that as a good thing. 

Fucking christ, this program is a goddamn dumpster fire. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

What "alumni support" are we in danger of losing? They sat on their asses on NIL. Does this mean that they'll donate less to the program? Since that's the only thing we seem to give a shit about, and the only thing that motivates the athletic department to do anything, I'd see that as a good thing. 

Fucking christ, this program is a goddamn dumpster fire. 

Sorry I was not meaning for that to be dramatic haha. I am saying the letterman that he played with might believe in him and think that he is a good coach. Firing him would not be celebrated by them is all I was trying to say. I really think that sark only hired him because he played here.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

Gideon is seen as a good recruiter (he has been involved in helping secure several prospects this cycle and has proven he can recruit outside his position too) and came highly recommended by Muschamp. I'm not blaming him for the 3-year regression we've seen of BJ Foster and converted WR Brenden Schooler.

Davis and Gideon are the most likely to stay. The other 3 should have their resumes updated just in case.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here already IT has been hinting for a while that the personnel department will be getting some new faces. Hopefully they are expanding that department and not just swapping out people.

TFB said earlier this month that support staff was going to see a lot of movement. I bet sark had a multi year plan for building the support staff. That's not really something that you can complete in one offseason.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here already IT has been hinting for a while that the personnel department will be getting some new faces. Hopefully they are expanding that department and not just swapping out people.

Sark dumped most of Herman's guys right?  I thought Herman had a pretty good support staff.

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

TFB said earlier this month that support staff was going to see a lot of movement. I bet sark had a multi year plan for building the support staff. That's not really something that you can complete in one offseason.

Make another swing at the guy compliance said no to. And we got Gladscock instead. 

The smoke from Tennessee has cleared. So compliance shouldn't have a gripe. And Sark gets the guy he wanted in the first place 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Make another swing at the guy compliance said no to. And we got Gladscock instead. 

The smoke from Tennessee has cleared. So compliance shouldn't have a gripe. And Sark gets the guy he wanted in the first place 

I don't think we will really get an idea how Glasscock is doing for a least 1 or 2 full cycles.

Chang got a lot of love but he helped shape a roster that had more scholarship WR's than OL....

• Like 1

Samples is gonna have quite the decision on his hands - go to TCU with Dykes and stay in DFW but program upgrade, probably can stay home at SMU with a new coach (Lashlee getting buzz), or peace out to a bigger program, likely several options. Would imagine he can get higher titles at TCU or SMU while staying in DFW, but obviously potential benefits to a bigger program.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Samples is gonna have quite the decision on his hands - go to TCU with Dykes and stay in DFW but program upgrade, probably can stay home at SMU with a new coach (Lashlee getting buzz), or peace out to a bigger program, likely several options. Would imagine he can get higher titles at TCU or SMU while staying in DFW, but obviously potential benefits to a bigger program.

Smart money would be him staying with Samples, or even heading here.  WRs get used in both systems unlike the other school that's being mentioned

A Samples for Coleman switch might be the best thing we could do from a recruiting perspective. 

I don't believe Choate is truly an issue. Our linebackers have sucked because we are playing a fucking walkon with cement shoes that gets run at every play. DMO has been a plus player when he is on the field. 

There are quite a few interesting WR coaches potentially available this offseason - Samples, Keary Colbert, Mickey Joseph, and Billy Gonzalez all on staffs in transition (Dennis Simmons from OU too if you ask LSU message boards lol). Good time for Sark to make a move there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Didn't sark make a run at the OU WR coach?

I remember that being rumored at least. They are reportedly close friends from their time as teammates at BYU.

Despite my previous post, I have a feeling Coleman survives one more year. Bigger fish to fry on defense and Sark will likely try to make as few changes as possible.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I remember that being rumored at least. They are reportedly close friends from their time as teammates at BYU.

Despite my previous post, I have a feeling Coleman survives one more year. Bigger fish to fry on defense and Sark will likely try to make as few changes as possible.

I think he'll unload Coleman. He's the only guy on the offensive side of the ball that needs to go. Swap Joseph or Gideon for Jimmy Lake and there ya go.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There are two non-TE positions where Banks has essentially taken over recruiting. Those are the two spots where position coach changes are likely about to happen....

Assuming you don't want to say which ones, but I feel pretty confident guessing one of those positions. Not sure on the other.

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Assuming you don't want to say which ones, but I feel pretty confident guessing one of those positions. Not sure on the other.

It's WR and CB. Not afraid to say it.

Joseph has contributed absolutely nothing recruiting wise. Nada. He is the highest paid DB coach who doesn't have the DC tag in the country. We had to take him off of Denver Harris and hand over the reigns to Davis and Banks.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Joseph has contributed absolutely nothing recruiting wise. Nada. He is the highest paid DB coach who doesn't have the DC tag in the country. We had to take him off of Denver Harris and hand over the reigns to Davis and Banks.

Gotcha. I figured WR was one. Joseph not a big surprise as #2. Other than maybe PK, those would be my top 2 to replace, for on-field results and recruiting. 

Outrageous that Joseph makes more than Corey Raymond smh. Wonder if we'd even try for him or Lake. Know both have rumored off-field questions. Whoever it is, they still need to be a good coach not just a recruiter (Terry seems like neither).

42 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I’d bet on Coleman being here next year

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Glad those two spots (WR, CB) are on 2yr contracts...

Fyi... Best info I could find on assistants' contracts

• DC Pete Kwiatkowski got a 3-year deal at $1.7 million per year with no annual raise
  • OC/OL coach Kyle Flood: 3 years — $1 million (2021), $1.175 million (2022), $1.25 million (2023)
  • ST/TEs coach Jeff Banks: 3 years — $1 million (2021), $1.05 million (2022), $1.1 million (2023)
  • DL coach Bo Davis: 3 years — $875,000 (2021), $900,000 (2022), $925,000 (2023)
  • Pass game coordinator/CBs coach Terry Joseph: 2 years — $750,000 (2021), $800,000 (2022)
  • Running Game Coordinator/RBs coach Stan Drayton received a 2-year deal at $650,000 per year
  • Co-DC/ILBs coach Jeff Choate: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $575,000 (2022)
  • WRs coach Andre Coleman: 2 years — $450,000 (2021), $500,000 (2022)
  • Safeties coach Blake Gideon: 2 years — $400,000 (2021), $425,000 (2022)
  • QBs Coach AJ Milwee    (unavailable)

Head strength coach Torre Becton: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $525,000 (2022)

28 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Gotcha. I figured WR was one. Joseph not a big surprise as #2. Other than maybe PK, those would be my top 2 to replace, for on-field results and recruiting. 

Outrageous that Joseph makes more than Corey Raymond smh. Wonder if we'd even try for him or Lake. Know both have rumored off-field questions. Whoever it is, they still need to be a good coach not just a recruiter (Terry seems like neither).

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I’d read somewhere on here that PK and Lake aren’t on the best of terms which is what led to PK ultimately coming here.

I assume its known we are going for Samples. That would mean we are lookong to replace an offensive coach. Either RB or WR. Now there is tge yearly rumor of Drayton going back to the NFL. 

But i think we would all agree  Coleman would be the target. So  if we are looking to replace him, then we are looking to replace him, regardless of us getting Samples or not. 

23 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I assume its known we are going for Samples. That would mean we are lookong to replace an offensive coach. Either RB or WR. Now there is tge yearly rumor of Drayton going back to the NFL. 

But i think we would all agree  Coleman would be the target. So  if we are looking to replace him, then we are looking to replace him, regardless of us getting Samples or not. 

New Drayton rumors are surfacing? Sounds about right that the one position coach doing well would leave

9 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Terry Joseph better be gone and we need to do a full court press on Corey Raymond. It's time he moves on and we need to money whip him into saying yes.  Coleman is a goner, can't believe he was retained.

maybe we let whomever the DC is.. make that call first?

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Glad those two spots (WR, CB) are on 2yr contracts...

Fyi... Best info I could find on assistants' contracts

• DC Pete Kwiatkowski got a 3-year deal at $1.7 million per year with no annual raise
  • OC/OL coach Kyle Flood: 3 years — $1 million (2021), $1.175 million (2022), $1.25 million (2023)
  • ST/TEs coach Jeff Banks: 3 years — $1 million (2021), $1.05 million (2022), $1.1 million (2023)
  • DL coach Bo Davis: 3 years — $875,000 (2021), $900,000 (2022), $925,000 (2023)
  • Pass game coordinator/CBs coach Terry Joseph: 2 years — $750,000 (2021), $800,000 (2022)
  • Running Game Coordinator/RBs coach Stan Drayton received a 2-year deal at $650,000 per year
  • Co-DC/ILBs coach Jeff Choate: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $575,000 (2022)
  • WRs coach Andre Coleman: 2 years — $450,000 (2021), $500,000 (2022)
  • Safeties coach Blake Gideon: 2 years — $400,000 (2021), $425,000 (2022)
  • QBs Coach AJ Milwee    (unavailable)

Head strength coach Torre Becton: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $525,000 (2022)

Drayton is really underpaid…

Interesting note from IT regarding Jordan Nabors - seems noteworthy that they are openly speculating as to the effect Coleman's termination would have on recruits 

Spoiler

Another factor to keep an eye on in the Nabors recruitment is that his primary relationship is with WR coach Andre Coleman. As IT mentioned on Monday in the scoop there will likely be a coaching shuffle of some degree and if Coleman ends up out at Texas, that ripple effect could see Nabors wind up sticking in Waco or even heading west to Lubbock.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't see Texas landing Samp. I don't think it makes sense for either party.

But I'm happy to be wrong. 

How does it not make sense for either party? It’s better recruiting and possibly coaching (how could it be worse) for Texas and a major raise and promotion for Samples. What am I missing?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1