2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Went back and didn’t see anything but have any of the 9.95ers broken down the Choice hire?

From Nahlin - not Xs and Os, but plenty of sunshine

Spoiler

You will understand the importance of recruiting from the running back position.

Here’s a maxim Chip Brown will mention to Sark and Sark will say he’s never heard of because I just made it up.

“The lighter the coaching workload a coach has the heavier the recruiting workload he needs to assume.” Confucius says, imo.

Drayton has a better chance of being a good HC than most RB coaches because he doesn’t really profile to the position. In many ways that’s a compliment to him. But it isn’t a compliment to his recruiting ability.

Choice on the other hand is champing at the bit to be a volume recruiter. Running backs will come easy to him, he wants other positions as well.

He reached out to a friend of mine last week looking for a DB — any DB. Here’s his quote: “Mannn I need a DB out of Houston that can play on this level. What you got?”

This quote is killing me for a number of reasons. He needs a DB out of Houston…I imagine this message goes out like comedian introductions. It’s good to be back in Cleveland. I need a DB from here!

I say give him Houston.

Expectations for him won’t be to land one player a cycle.

This is a fantastic hire and should provide excitement and confidence for any moves remaining to be made.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stan Drayton was a rainmaker. He was also an incredibly good position coach. 
I never understood the Coleman being retained thing. 

Dont get me wrong, I has happy we retained Stan. Why I find this so damn funny is that Sark is a known offensive guy and one of the guys he retained to keep continuity did not cut it under his eyes after a year and the other got snapped up to be a HC.

The real question is of the Herman staff, looking back now what position coach should we have kept over Coleman, knowing what we know now? Hutlzler maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stan Drayton was a rainmaker. He was also an incredibly good position coach. 
I never understood the Coleman being retained thing. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Drayton was a rainmaker at RB but he was not a volume recruiter. 

LOIAPXVEE5BYHEL5QCAUOX2WJU.png

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Rainmaker" is.... not exactly what I'd call Drayton.

I have never understood the love for Drayton. He didn’t recruit particularly well for a RB coach. Beck had to be brought in on the Bijan recruitment, speaking of a rainmaker in recruiting. That was his biggest get. Blitz pick up by the RBs has been a disaster for the last dews years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Hutzler for sure.  Choate is the remaining weak link in recruiting, and his coaching and personnel choices on the field didn’t exactly work miracles this year, either.  

I am cutting Choate some slack. He inherited a disaster at LB. Gbenda and Ford were wretched in early game action. Both improved, Ford more so. I don’t think he was presented with many good options this season 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

I have never understood the love for Drayton. He didn’t recruit particularly well for a RB coach. Beck had to be brought in on the Bijan recruitment, speaking of a rainmaker in recruiting. That was his biggest get. Blitz pick up by the RBs has been a disaster for the last dews years. 

This is the area I am hoping to see the most impact from Choice on Bijan from an individual skills standpoint.

Yes, part of it may be that our OLAY O-Line more than likely screwed up the protections and so Bijan was looking most likely at the wrong gap for pressure initially, but still, he had some straight up ugly misses or poor pickups that led directly to sacks.