2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Translation: Demas, you know you done fucked up, right?

Well, Jimbo has real routes and concepts. A whole War & Peace worth of them. And you have to memorize them all to get on the field so you can go block for the TE.

This is more for the Air Raid-y spread systems I'd imagine where the WR just has to run in a straight line really fast.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Well, Jimbo has real routes and concepts. A whole War & Peace worth of them. And you have to memorize them all to get on the field so you can go block for the TE.

This is more for the Air Raid-y spread systems I'd imagine where the WR just has to run in a straight line really fast.

Sounds like he's taking aim at Lebby's Veer & Shoot at OU. He knows Cozart is gonna commit to them in half an hour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Gimp said:

Tell Milwee to pound sand and make him QB coach.

I think this is more of easy cover for when after next year someone comes for Milwee to be an OC and we don’t really want to share roles with Flood.

Taking what he learned from Sark and implementing it somewhere else  is the only way he is going to prove he has the ability to keep climbing the ladder.

Solid idea all around in truth. 

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I like the Saban model of picking up former head coach analysts. I am also going to laugh when one of them takes Sark’s job. 

I think he will get the defensive coordinator figured out. It may be a bumpy ride, though.

32 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Bumpy ride as in being forced to fire PK mid season and to promote GP from within… probably 

Yep, that is what I'm thinking. I just don't get how PK did so well in the Pac: We did have a lot of shitty players on our D, though. Foster not trying, above average corners. Horribad linebackers and no edge guys. Unfortunately, until we get Mathis and a linebacker and a safety we are looking at more of the same from a personnel standpoint.

More smoke on Cutcliffe

Spoiler

Chris Hummer, 247 National Writer:

There's a "good possibility" former Duke head coach David Cutcliffe joins Texas' staff in an off-field capacity, a source tells 247Sports. 

The 67-year-old Cutcliffe retired from Duke on Nov. 28 following a 14-year run as the program's head coach. If Cutcliffe does join the Longhorn staff it would likely be in a role as senior offensive analyst.

Best known for his quarterback development, Cutcliffe has produced a quartet of first-round quarterbacks in his career. That list of course includes Peyton and Eli Manning; Cutcliffe was Peyton's offensive coordinator at Tennessee and was Eli's head coach at Ole Miss. 

That connection could give Texas a big bump with Peyton and Eli's nephew, Arch Manning, the No. 1 overall recruit in the 2023 class. Arch visited Texas last June. The Longhorns are in the thick of it for Arch along with Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss, according to 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong. 

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has been aggressive in adding experience to his staff this offseason. Last month Texas announced long-time TCU head coach Gary Patterson would join the Longhorns as special assistant to the head coach. Combined, Patterson and Cutcliffe would have 43 years of head coaching experience.

Cutcliffe is responsible for the two winningest seasons in Blue Devils history. He's the only Duke head coach since 1960 to have Duke ranked in a postseason AP Poll. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 2

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This is the Saban way. Fill up your analysts with former Head coaches that can take over and maintain continuity should your assistants get poached.

While I think one would be hard pressed in arguing that David Cutcliffe would be anything less than a home run hire as a position coach. He is 67 years old and likely would rather just be an analyst and talent evaluator for the rest of the year. My dream scenario if Millwee moves on next year would be for Todd Dodge to be the next QB coach. He told FCB that his plan is to take this ‘22 year off and then become a college QB coach starting in ‘23. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

While I think one would be hard pressed in arguing that David Cutcliffe would be anything less than a home run hire as a position coach. He is 67 years old and likely would rather just be an analyst and talent evaluator for the rest of the year. My dream scenario if Millwee moves on next year would be for Todd Dodge to be the next QB coach. He told FCB that his plan is to take this ‘22 year off and then become a college QB coach starting in ‘23. 

Sark will always be the QB coach at Texas, as long as he remains the coach. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Sark will always be the QB coach at Texas, as long as he remains the coach. 

Yes, but when you're the QB coach, playcaller, chief recruiter, and your OC is really just coaching the o-line, somebody has to be in the booth telling you what they see on the field and run the QB drills.  

3 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Yes, but when you're the QB coach, playcaller, chief recruiter, and your OC is really just coaching the o-line, somebody has to be in the booth telling you what they see on the field and run the QB drills.  

He would certainly add to the portal game. He has been one of the best at bringing in transfers in Texas for over a decade

Edited by Codaxx

25 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

More smoke on Cutcliffe

Hide contents

Chris Hummer, 247 National Writer:

There's a "good possibility" former Duke head coach David Cutcliffe joins Texas' staff in an off-field capacity, a source tells 247Sports. 

The 67-year-old Cutcliffe retired from Duke on Nov. 28 following a 14-year run as the program's head coach. If Cutcliffe does join the Longhorn staff it would likely be in a role as senior offensive analyst.

Best known for his quarterback development, Cutcliffe has produced a quartet of first-round quarterbacks in his career. That list of course includes Peyton and Eli Manning; Cutcliffe was Peyton's offensive coordinator at Tennessee and was Eli's head coach at Ole Miss. 

That connection could give Texas a big bump with Peyton and Eli's nephew, Arch Manning, the No. 1 overall recruit in the 2023 class. Arch visited Texas last June. The Longhorns are in the thick of it for Arch along with Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss, according to 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong. 

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has been aggressive in adding experience to his staff this offseason. Last month Texas announced long-time TCU head coach Gary Patterson would join the Longhorns as special assistant to the head coach. Combined, Patterson and Cutcliffe would have 43 years of head coaching experience.

Cutcliffe is responsible for the two winningest seasons in Blue Devils history. He's the only Duke head coach since 1960 to have Duke ranked in a postseason AP Poll. 

Do It Nike GIF by James Bond 007

• Hook 'Em 1