2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

C'mon Bo, Brewster has to relate, young players rather talk to 61 year old white men who "get" their terminology.

Yeah, but Jones is acting like Brewster is just doing this because it’s an HBU. He’s always done it and it’s always been stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah, but Jones is acting like Brewster is just doing this because it’s an HBU. He’s always done it and it’s always been stupid. 

That's sort of Bomani's point - he doesn't need to do it at an HBCU - it looks even more ridiculous because he's doing it at an HBCU. 

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's sort of Bomani's point - he doesn't need to do it at an HBCU - it looks even more ridiculous because he's doing it at an HBCU. 

lol it's how young players talk/text/tweet.. doesn't matter what school he's at, it's the way the younger generation is.  It's not that deep.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

And my point is: he isn't doing it because it's an HBU, he's doing it because he does it. As stupid as it is, there is no reason to change what he does. It has always been cheesy and forced.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I get the feeling Brewster's shtick is on the twilight side, but he still has a little juice with the 'croots. But Jackson State? 

Deion is putting together a better staff, "NIL program",  and better recruiters than 90% of the P5. Brewster is still a high volume recruiter, and paired with Deion, it might transport him back to 2001. If FSU doesn't hire Deion away after this season then they are officially a lost cause. 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:45 AM, Thiefery said:

lol it's how young players talk/text/tweet.. doesn't matter what school he's at, it's the way the younger generation is.  It's not that deep.

It seems like Brewster has been saying "(place) is lit" for over a decade now. I'm an old but if there's one thing I know about kids these days (or any day) it's that 10 year old lingo is ancient and laughable. Is anyone else still saying that? 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It seems like Brewster has been saying "(place) is lit" for over a decade now. I'm an old but if there's one thing I know about kids these days (or any day) it's that 10 year old lingo is ancient and laughable. Is anyone else still saying that? 

Sounds like something someone from an unlit place would say.

• Haha 2

From Athletic article courtesy of @NoName 

Impact of coaching changes

Former running backs coach Stan Drayton left for the head coach job at Temple, and receivers coach Andre Coleman wasn’t retained. Sarkisian hired former Georgia Tech running backs coach Tashard Choice and former Pitt receivers coach Brennan Marion.

“We got 29 years younger in two hires,” Sarkisian said to alumni in May. “I’m trying to give a little more connectability to our current players, which has been the whole focus all offseason for us. I’m trying to provide a little bit more energy from a coaching staff perspective and also on the recruiting front.”

On Choice, a former Dallas Cowboys running back, Sarkisian said in April:

“An intense guy every day. He doesn’t pick and choose. He’s very demanding of the players, and I think they’re learning a lot from him and his style. We’re finishing runs at a level that I haven’t seen.”

On Marion, who coached Biletnikoff Award winner Jordan Addison at Pitt last season, Sarkisian said:

“He really has earned the respect of those wideouts. He’s a real technician. Those guys, they get on the grass and they go to work. He allows them to learn conceptually. They don’t learn just one position; they’re learning big picture. So a lot of guys are interchangeable, and I’ve seen growth.”

Former longtime TCU head coach Gary Patterson, known for his defensive mind, was the most publicized addition as a special assistant, an off-field role. At TCU, Patterson led the Horned Frogs to seven victories against Texas in 10 Big 12 meetings. Sarkisian said Patterson provides an additional set of eyes on the big picture as well as schematic suggestions in reviewing 2021 film or scouting 2022 opponents. Sarkisian called Patterson’s rapport with staff and players “awesome” and said he regularly bounces ideas off him.

Sarkisian added former NFL, CFL and SEC scout Bobby Merritt primarily to assess the transfer portal.

“His eye is trained to study the college player and how they translate to the NFL,” Sarkisian said in May. “Ultimately, that’s what we’re looking at now when you look at the portal: How does a kid relate to us if he came to our program — would he be a frontline player?”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, LTtxfan said:

From Athletic article courtesy of @NoName 

Impact of coaching changes

Former running backs coach Stan Drayton left for the head coach job at Temple, and receivers coach Andre Coleman wasn’t retained. Sarkisian hired former Georgia Tech running backs coach Tashard Choice and former Pitt receivers coach Brennan Marion.

“We got 29 years younger in two hires,” Sarkisian said to alumni in May. “I’m trying to give a little more connectability to our current players, which has been the whole focus all offseason for us. I’m trying to provide a little bit more energy from a coaching staff perspective and also on the recruiting front.”

On Choice, a former Dallas Cowboys running back, Sarkisian said in April:

“An intense guy every day. He doesn’t pick and choose. He’s very demanding of the players, and I think they’re learning a lot from him and his style. We’re finishing runs at a level that I haven’t seen.”

On Marion, who coached Biletnikoff Award winner Jordan Addison at Pitt last season, Sarkisian said:

“He really has earned the respect of those wideouts. He’s a real technician. Those guys, they get on the grass and they go to work. He allows them to learn conceptually. They don’t learn just one position; they’re learning big picture. So a lot of guys are interchangeable, and I’ve seen growth.”

Former longtime TCU head coach Gary Patterson, known for his defensive mind, was the most publicized addition as a special assistant, an off-field role. At TCU, Patterson led the Horned Frogs to seven victories against Texas in 10 Big 12 meetings. Sarkisian said Patterson provides an additional set of eyes on the big picture as well as schematic suggestions in reviewing 2021 film or scouting 2022 opponents. Sarkisian called Patterson’s rapport with staff and players “awesome” and said he regularly bounces ideas off him.

Sarkisian added former NFL, CFL and SEC scout Bobby Merritt primarily to assess the transfer portal.

“His eye is trained to study the college player and how they translate to the NFL,” Sarkisian said in May. “Ultimately, that’s what we’re looking at now when you look at the portal: How does a kid relate to us if he came to our program — would he be a frontline player?”

don'tgivemehope.gif

Four Texas assistants rank among nation's Top 30 recruiters

By:  EARS TO THE GROUND        5 hrs ago

The Longhorns currently have the No. 3 class in America, and they wouldn't be in that position without some great recruiting efforts from the assistants on staff. The 247Sports Recruiter Rankings quantify assistant performance by assigning points to primary and secondary recruiters for prospects. The higher-ranked the prospect is, the more points the assistants receive. The Longhorns currently have three assistants listed in the Top 25 nationally and 4 in the Top 50.

Brennan Marion leads all Texas staffers checking in at No. 9 nationally and first in the Big 12. The new Texas assistant was brought in to improve wide receiver recruiting after disappointing results last year, and he's off to a quick start as the primary recruiter for Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett and Jonah Wilson. Marion's average rating of 95.19 per recruit pushed his score higher because of the quality prospects he landed. Cook and Niblett both rank in the Top247 while Wilson is a solid four-star. Marion is still in the hunt for players like Jalen Hale and Mikal Harrison-Pilot who could help him push for Top 5 honors this season.

Kyle Flood is at No. 16 nationally and second in the Big 12 after taking home top honors on the staff last season. The Texas offensive coordinator and offensive line coach has been fantastic since arriving in Austin. He signed the top offensive line class in the country last year and is putting together a solid group this season with primary wins on Connor Stroh, Jaydon Chatman, Andre Cojoe and Trevor Goosby. Flood also served as the secondary as area recruiter with four-star defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell. When Sarkisian was hired, Texas needed an offensive line coach who could attract quality talent and they seem to have that in Flood who is turning in another strong performance.

Jeff Banks came to Austin with a strong reputation as a recruiter, and he was incredibly instrumental in several pivotal recruitments in 2022. He sits at No. 24 nationally and fourth in the Big 12 with primary wins for Spencer Shannon and Will Randle along with secondary honors on Johntay Cook and Jamel Johnson. Banks has time and opportunity to rise and make a run at the Top 10 as he's still in on several big prospects including elite corners Javien Toviano and Malik Muhammad.

Terry Joseph has been invaluable as a volume recruiter with strong relationships in the state of Louisiana. The Texas secondary coach sits at No. 27 nationally and fifth in the Big 12. Joseph has a primary win with five-star safety Derek Williams and secondary credits for Arch Manning, Will Randle and Jamel Johnson. Joseph already holds a strong average rating of 94.57 and could add to it with Toviano, Muhammad and Jordan Matthews still on the board.

Defensive line coach Bo Davis and linebacker coach Jeff Choate round out the assistants in the Top 100 placing No. 77 and No. 81 respectively. Both assistants have already landed some big wins with the potential to rise if they can fill out their position groups.

As the 2023 class continues to unfold, we should see more movement in the rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1