2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Looking at positional development was QB the only position there wasn't improvement? Maybe WR but I give some leeway there based on the Neyor injury and inconsistent QB play. 

Shouldn't Milwee be on the hot seat or is he safe because of Manning? 

Milwee is on staff because that is who Sark trusts as his eyes in the sky from the box. Unless Sark feels comfortable going to find someone else he trusts, don’t see a change being made.

And yeah, he also provided a huge assist in the Manning recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Looking at positional development was QB the only position there wasn't improvement? Maybe WR but I give some leeway there based on the Neyor injury and inconsistent QB play. 

Shouldn't Milwee be on the hot seat or is he safe because of Manning? 

Maybe lay off the weed for a bit there bud

First year starter, Card was much improved when he did play

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 10:23 PM, Atticus said:

Maybe lay off the weed for a bit there bud

First year starter, Card was much improved when he did play

Milwee always seemed like an uninspiring hire. His on the field experience consisted of Akron and that was it. 

I get he's who Sark trusts and I guess I give him some leeway since he did assist in recruiting Manning but his resume/development doesn't line up with other assistant coaches on staff. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Milwee always seemed like an uninspiring hire. His on the field experience consisted of Akron and that was it. 

I get he's who Sark trusts and I guess I give him some leeway since he did assist in recruiting Manning but his resume/development doesn't line up with other assistant coaches on staff. 

Arch likes him. Why are we still talking? 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Arch likes him. Why are we still talking? 

That's fair. I don't follow recruiting closely but from what I've read Arch would come here regardless of Milwee because the family loves Sark. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I admittedly don't follow recruiting as closely as others. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's fair. I don't follow recruiting closely but from what I've read Arch would come here regardless of Milwee because the family loves Sark. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I admittedly don't follow recruiting as closely as others. 

I think the overall opinion on milwee is that he's extremely relatable and all the qbs love him. That and he's basically sarks right hand man. Sark got him a job at Bama with him if I recall 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He might be here regardless. But he was an oft referenced positive during the recruitment. He’s sark’s guy. He’ll be here h til he decides to leave or he pulls an applewhite. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He might be here regardless. But he was an oft referenced positive during the recruitment. He’s sark’s guy. He’ll be here h til he decides to leave or he pulls an applewhite. 

If Sark gets this ship seriously on course and Ewers and/or Arch are greatness, Milwee will get a good OC position.

• Hook 'Em 1

Marion being mentioned for Tulsa HC job.

https://theathletic.com/3942359/2022/11/27/tulsa-head-coach-candidates/

Brennan Marion, Texas pass game coordinator/wide receivers coach

One of Kinne’s former college teammates, Brennan Marion, a Tulsa standout as a receiver, has also risen up the coaching ranks. Marion helped Jordan Addison win the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver last year while at Pitt before moving on to Texas as the passing game coordinator. The 35-year-old used his “Go-Go” offense to put up big numbers as an FCS offensive coordinator at Howard and William & Mary before moving up to FBS. Expect Marion to get strong consideration for this job.

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

he's literally the head coach's protege.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I like Marion, but I was disappointed with his room this year. Not sure how big of a deal this would be.

really? after the last few coaches you thought he was disappointing?

i'd love to get another year of Marion on staff. equally i would love to see him get an opportunity as a head coach or OC somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I like Marion, but I was disappointed with his room this year. Not sure how big of a deal this would be.

This is a lazy take based on the perception that Worthy took a step back. Marion is a plus recruiter, and coach and it will be awesome if we can keep him for the next year.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Marion's recruiting has been a big improvement. The jury is still out on his effectiveness developing WR's.

There was a clear miscommunication between Ewers and the WRs this season.. I can't put that on Marion because it seemed ALL WRs had issues with Quinn.  Choate looked worse his first season here than Marion.. and we have seen the huge improvement this season for Choate in year 2. I expect the same thing with the WRs next season with or without Xavier (hopefully with).

6 hours ago, trythisathome said:

Offensive head coach protege, you say?  

image.png

This is my point. Just because an assistant is a coaches protege or right hand man doesn't mean he's actually a good assistant. People said the same thing with Mehringer. Now I will say it looks like Milwee isn't an asshole and can recruit. 

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is my point. Just because an assistant is a coaches protege or right hand man doesn't mean he's actually a good assistant. People said the same thing with Mehringer. Now I will say it looks like Milwee isn't an asshole and can recruit. 

Unlike Mehringer - Milwee was a successful OC prior to becoming an analyst at Alabama and then Sark's protege.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Unlike Mehringer - Milwee was a successful OC prior to becoming an analyst at Alabama and then Sark's protege.

Akron finished 128th, 115th, and 90th in OFEI in Milwee's final 3 seasons as OC. I didn't look at other years. Now that doesn't make much of a difference at Texas if he isn't calling plays but to call him a "successful OC" is a huge reach. 

The only thing Milwee had on his resume before Texas was being hired by Alabama as an analyst.

Edited by Rickylovesweed