2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well Fat Gare isn't walking through that door to fix our secondary. Other than swapping Coleman for Samples, I'm not sure I'd make any other changes. 

We gotta give continuity a chance. Texas has tried everything else. 

False, we haven’t tried pulling our head out of ass and hiring the best football coach. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well Fat Gare isn't walking through that door to fix our secondary. Other than swapping Coleman for Samples, I'm not sure I'd make any other changes. 

We gotta give continuity a chance. Texas has tried everything else. 

Disagree. I don’t pretend to know what the right moves are, but something has to change on the defensive side. Something went horribly wrong and it’s not all BJ Foster’s fault.

i think Sark has heavily hinted that PK, Choate, and Davis will be back. Joseph carries the Shawn Watson rep, as in every fanbase at every one of his previous stops has been ecstatic to see him leave. I heard literal fistfights broke out in South Bend over who could get him to the airport the fastest. He’s a  trash coach and apparently sucks at recruiting, too, based on what I read here.  So the question needs to be put to Scary Pass D Terry: “what the fuck would you say ya do here?”

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well yea except it isn’t at all.

You're right.  One coached offense, this one coaches defense.

The lack of adjustments throughout a shit season is/was evident in both PK and Watson.  Arguments in favor of PK seem to be based on the fact that Joseph and PK aren't a 'fit'.  Let's give that argument some credence.  What could PK possibly have done?  Oh, I don't know.  Maybe PK should have fucking given Joseph his marching orders and made him play a single high safety like you guys insist PK wants to do?  Then if Joseph couldn't get it done he gets the ax.  Simple.  People would be hard pressed to blame that on PK.  However, PK didn't do that.  He ran two high safeties all year.  Are you insinuating that PK let Joseph dictate his scheme?  That's fucking laughable and fireable on its own.

So because the hires underneath PK aren't getting the job done PK deserves more time?  Am I understanding that stance correctly?  Let's see how that argument plays in a few years if Sark has to raise it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

The lack of adjustments throughout a shit season is/was evident in both PK and Watson.  Arguments in favor of PK seem to be based on the fact that Joseph and PK aren't a 'fit'.  Let's give that argument some credence.  What could PK possibly have done?  Oh, I don't know.  Maybe PK should have fucking given Joseph his marching orders and made him play a single high safety like you guys insist PK wants to do?  Then if Joseph couldn't get it done he gets the ax.  Simple.  People would be hard pressed to blame that on PK.  However, PK didn't do that.  He ran two high safeties all year.  Are you insinuating that PK let Joseph dictate his scheme?  That's fucking laughable and fireable on its own.

So because the hires underneath PK aren't getting the job done PK deserves more time?  Am I understanding that stance correctly?  Let's see how that argument plays in a few years if Sark has to raise it.

Yeah im not a fan of that argument either. PK is the coordinator, so it's his job to make it all fit. He is the one that makes the defensive calls and gameplans. The idea of bringing in one of his secondary guys is probably to help him adjust better in game. I remember Tim Beck in a press conference once saying that year one our offense sucked and couldn't make any adjustments because he had never worked with anyone on staff before, so they couldn't communicate the way they needed to. Year two things got a little better in that regard, but as we saw it ultimately did not work out. 

7 minutes ago, Jester said:

Mmm I actually didn’t say shit about Joseph being the cause? PK sucked this year. PK and Watson hires are still very different and comparisons are dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Yeah im not a fan of that argument either. PK is the coordinator, so it's his job to make it all fit. He is the one that makes the defensive calls and gameplans. The idea of bringing in one of his secondary guys is probably to help him adjust better in game. I remember Tim Beck in a press conference once saying that year one our offense sucked and couldn't make any adjustments because he had never worked with anyone on staff before, so they couldn't communicate the way they needed to. Year two things got a little better in that regard, but as we saw it ultimately did not work out. 

Ya.  Using Tim Beck as an example kind of proves my point.  I don't think it's going to work out for PK.

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Mmm I actually didn’t say shit about Joseph being the cause? PK sucked this year. PK and Watson hires are still very different and comparisons are dumb.

Got it.  And I didn't say the hires were identical.  I said this was Sark's Shawn Watson moment. In other words, I think he needs to make a change like Strong needed to.  And if he doesn't, it could seal his fate.

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

False, we haven’t tried pulling our head out of ass and hiring the best football coach. 

We tried, but apparently we have a head the size & shape of Stewie from Family Guy & Urban decided that the gaping hole that would be left there if we indeed did pull it out would not fit tightly around his finger so he told us to leave it in there.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’ll be surprised if more than two coaches get replaced this off-season. One of Joseph/Gideon and Coleman seem most likely. 

Sark needs to make moves quick - he waited way too long and lost out on good candidates the first time around. 

I am pretty certain Coleman has already been informed of his status. 9.95ers said last week that Sark was kicking some tires with potential coaching moves. I know he went hard at Simmons before, if Riley moves maybe he circles back to him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Choate probably needs to go simply to free up the Co-DC tag. In the very least engage him about a title change; maybe he is fine with that so long as his pay remains the same. There are elite gettable DB coaches but you can't pussy around throwing out marginal raises and nothing titles like 'passing defense coordinator'. Raymond is probably staying at LSU no matter what we throw at him but just as an example he makes a whopping ~600K with his bonuses factored in. Offering him ~1M isn't going to cut it but ~2M and a Co-DC tag? Again just using Raymond as an example but there are other names out there. I'd already be on the phone with Karl Scott making sure he is enjoying the NFL (took a gig with the Vikings this year) and sweetly asking if he may not possibly want to return to the college ranks... I'm not sure there is a dollar amount Scott could ask for that I would not pay and while he probably is committed to making a go of NFL coaching you still have to kick those fucking tires. 

Money is the one fucking resource we have. Can't legally buy players like Harris, Brookes, Mathews, etc. but we sure as fuck can FINALLY buy a DB coach they would want to play for. Been what? Ten years since we had a difference maker in the secondary? Joseph has already shown enough in both recruiting and development to prove he is not the guy. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The only difference between PK and Watson is the their perception ahead of the hire. Both are responsible for the side of the ball their respective coaches needed coverage in and both have proven to be the most ineffective coordinators in recent history. PK is just ineffective and incompetent as Watson and will sink Sark and this program if he is allowed to stay. The situation is almost identical. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Who do we go after to fix this defense? Scenario 1 of PK and Joseph gone and scenario 2 of just Joseph. If Joseph alone is gone we need some sort of co-DC because it's evident PK can't coach a full defense (which is mind boggling for $1.7 mill a year). I don't buy that this is Joseph's fault and that they aren't on the same page, but some claim that is the case so let's pretend it is for the post. 

Muschamp is ideal but since he said no last year then who else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The only difference between PK and Watson is the their perception ahead of the hire. Both are responsible for the side of the ball their respective coaches needed coverage in and both have proven to be the most ineffective coordinators in recent history. PK is just ineffective and incompetent as Watson and will sink Sark and this program if he is allowed to stay. The situation is almost identical. 

Pre hire perception is why they aren’t identical at all. Watson was always incompetent, PK has never been until this season. Having possible confidence that  a proven DC will return to his mean after one off year is not the same as thinking a longstanding failure will suddenly become great. To be clear I’m not advocating one way or the other, these situations just aren’t the same.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Per IT

The Staff

IT has heard there will be changes. Plural. At this point, IT does not know exactly how that will unfold.

We don’t know anyone who expects wide receivers coach Andre Coleman to return. We believe Sark has made some calls regarding the potential vacancy. To be clear, we haven’t heard to a level where we’d report Coleman will be ousted.

We know many on the board wish Texas would hire supposed recruiting deity Ra’Shaad Samples, but the coaching market isn’t nearly as hot on him as the recruitnik market. Everybody wants to recruit DFW and still his best options have been SMU and TCU. Basically his best option has been Sonny Dykes. I think he has it in him to be a good coach but he’s not there yet. We know Sark prioritizes coaching ability which is why he went with Coleman in the first place — well, that and he missed on some other guys.

If a move is made, where would Sark turn? We don’t have that answer and we’re not sure of timing either. It wouldn’t be prudent to go into NSD without a wide receiver coach while Evan Stewart remains the top target on the board. Bloodthirsty people don’t account for things like that, even if we just saw it bite Tom Herman in the *** with Quentin Johnston. But hey, at least Herman fired someone immediately after the season!

On defense, IT has heard every option is on the table. This may take a while to play out because any move would come with significant trade-offs. Fans don’t typically account for those trade-offs. Fans fear the worst — Sark‘s complacent! The AD is complacent! Nothing is happening! — rather than acknowledging these are rational actors, who at a minimum possess much more rationale than fans (short for fanatics) on top of possessing much more information. That last part is key. We don’t know who they’ve contacted, what their timing or recruiting considerations are, etc.

I would let things play out. How many people worked themselves into a frenzy last year over Herman returning? This incarnation of Texas wants to win as much, or more, than any other in your lifetime and they will continue to prove it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fans don’t typically account for those trade-offs. Fans fear the worst — Sark‘s complacent! The AD is complacent! Nothing is happening! — rather than acknowledging these are rational actors, who at a minimum possess much more rationale than fans (short for fanatics) on top of possessing much more information.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Everybody wants to recruit DFW and still his best options have been SMU and TCU. Basically his best option has been Sonny Dykes. I think he has it in him to be a good coach but he’s not there yet.

Wasn’t that same site saying UT, OU, and A&M we’re all making aggressive pushes for him like two days ago?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT also said they are paying attention to Malcolm Kelly

That... is one extremely underwhelming name to be thrown around. Not going to pretend to be an expert on TCU WR development but I catch a good portion of their games and that is not a unit that exactly jumps off the screen. Nor has Kelly been making much of a dent in recruitment. Texas should be able to do better than a guy with only three years experience and no notable achievements on the development front nor skins on the recruiting wall. Anyone know more about this guy that makes it sound less..   a massive reach?

• Hook 'Em 3

If Riley really does end up at LSU, are we not pissed off that Texas didn’t get him last year? Do we really think he was unattainable because it’s Texas/OU??

I do t think we’d go and try to get our rivals coach- if we fail it kills recruiting.

Same way we should go and offer Elko 5mm but we won’t.
  • Hook 'Em 2

maybe we let whomever the DC is.. make that call first?
This is my lone issue with shitcanning PK after one season...his support staff were all in place before he was hired. Maybe he was in talks with Sark before he officially took the job and had input on some of the hires, but I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

That... is one extremely underwhelming name to be thrown around. Not going to pretend to be an expert on TCU WR development but I catch a good portion of their games and that is not a unit that exactly jumps off the screen. Nor has Kelly been making much of a dent in recruitment. Texas should be able to do better than a guy with only three years experience and no notable achievements on the development front nor skins on the recruiting wall. Anyone know more about this guy that makes it sound less..   a massive reach?

Isn’t he the guy that beat us for Quentin Johnson? TCU actually has a legit WR room. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

He’s known as a good recruiter. Stole Johnston from us, had Golden committed this year til the coaching instability with Gary P and had them in a good spot for several 2023 guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Agree. Idk much about him but seems like there are better options. The guy has only been a coach for like 3 years and I don’t see any reason to think he’s some superstar. Also he’s a Sooner yuck. 

6 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Rod Babers said this and I agree. With the returning skill guys and an improvement at QB, Texas has a shot to be one of the truly elite offenses in CFB. The quicker that Sark embraces and realizes that the better off we will be. Sark wants to play complementary ball but he needs to go try to hang 70 every game.

I think that is a bit polyanna-ish. Rb is solid. WR has 1 proven commodity. JWhitt is about health. OL improved this season, but it isn’t to the point where they are good behind the chains. QB play needs to make a major jump, if Texas is going to field an elite offense. I took most of Sark’s “complimentary football” BS as coach speak. His way of avoiding saying the defense or offense lost the game 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree. Idk much about him but seems like there are better options. The guy has only been a coach for like 3 years and I don’t see any reason to think he’s some superstar. Also he’s a Sooner yuck. 

He might hate OU as much as most of us do. I want to say something happened between him and the school when he left for the NFL draft.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He might hate OU as much as most of us do. I want to say something happened between him and the school when he left for the NFL draft.

Interesting. Maybe not as much as we do but it does look like there was something

https://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/22332/catching-up-with-ex-ou-wr-malcolm-kelly

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If Riley really does end up at LSU, are we not pissed off that Texas didn’t get him last year? Do we really think he was unattainable because it’s Texas/OU??

5 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I do t think we’d go and try to get our rivals coach- if we fail it kills recruiting.

Same way we should go and offer Elko 5mm but we won’t.

Let’s also think about the Riley dynamic. He can flirt with LSU and if things fall through, he gets a raise. Flirt with Texas and HOLY FUCK!

Replace PK, choad, Joseph 
Ash, Akina, Hutzler,  

samples for Coleman.  Have samples and banks recruit every damn position.

Becton replace that guy.   Guys were gassed all year during 4th quarter and lots of injuries.  

One thing about Herman’s teams were they played all 4 quarters.  I mean the 4th quarter point differential was crazy this year.   depth chart yes and honestly a lot of Sam hero ball but perhaps guys were busy doing  some fad workout shit instead of functional football strength and stamina.  

as a more than casual observer strength and conditioning seemed quite worse this year than last couple years.

Edited by Dr.Dre

17 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Ash, Akina, Hutzler,  

Becton replace that guy.   Guys were gassed all year during 4th quarter and lots of injuries.  

One thing about Herman’s teams were they played all 4 quarters.  I mean the 4th quarter point differential was crazy this year.   depth chart yes and honestly a lot of Sam hero ball but perhaps guys were busy doing  some fad workout shit instead of functional football strength and stamina.  

as a more than casual observer strength and conditioning seemed quite worse this year than last couple years.

hopefully Sark has a 3rd party looking at the D and giving him some honest feedback. He needs a Tomey to come in and give him the straight truth.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Dre said:

Ash, Akina, Hutzler,  

I can’t speak to how velocity training is implemented in the program, but based on the white paper explaining it, the velocity training is all about speed and lifting what you can on a given day. However, it’s very much a trust based training as the individual chooses what they can or can’t lift on a given day. Not sure that affects mental toughness or not. 

19 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I can’t speak to how velocity training is implemented in the program, but based on the white paper explaining it, the velocity training is all about speed and lifting what you can on a given day. However, it’s very much a trust based training as the individual chooses what they can or can’t lift on a given day. Not sure that affects mental toughness or not. 

Surely they track what they do each session and have an expectation that they stay at those weights or go up. Anyway what's Yancy doing these days?

Edited by Bevo14

10 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Thats perfect. Sark said he was gonna treat the players like professionals. Afternl they had a hard ass regime that treated them like children, we found out who really had the want to. It looks like most of the team took this as an opportunity to be lazy fucks.  

One example were Sweat and Coburn. Staff wanted them to slim down. And it didnt happen. 

Maybe a little less trust and a little more kicking ass

48 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Does anybody know if Mrs. Coach Boom is still mad at us?

This is a rare "I have inside knowledge" moment.  They got so much hate mail and gross things mailed to them by our "great" fans that it was uncomfortable. The reality is it was the first time that type of shitty fan behavior happened to them so they probably thought Texas fans sucked.  I'm sure it happened far worse at future stops but that first time hits hardest (like getting a shocker).

This is why I shake my head at our fan base.  The Muschamp's were hated by many Longhorns.  Yet now, we want him back.  

I've grown accustomed to fans just hating everyone but VY, Ricky, and Earl.  That includes me, btw.  I irrationally hate Greg Davis and Mack more than any coach since.

Tie in to recruitment....I wonder how our hatred of everyone affects momentum sometimes.  We fans likely make no difference but I do think it moves the needle.  Then again, I think the two biggest factors in school choice are which school sets them up for the NFL the best and which bag is heaviest, not fan base or quality of education or facilities or coach or relationships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Dr.Dre said:

Ash, Akina, Hutzler,  

No one is going to take your post seriously after reading that fucking shit. We’re not replacing the staff with 2 guys we literally fired last season, for a number of reasons. And akina is chef’s kiss. He’s old and washed up, doesn’t recruit anymore, and is a terrible idea. If you want to let misguided nostalgia guide all your hires why not suggest Bryant Westbrook? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

This is a rare "I have inside knowledge" moment.  They got so much hate mail and gross things mailed to them by our "great" fans that it was uncomfortable. The reality is it was the first time that type of shitty fan behavior happened to them so they probably thought Texas fans sucked.  I'm sure it happened far worse at future stops but that first time hits hardest (like getting a shocker).

This is why I shake my head at our fan base.  The Muschamp's were hated by many Longhorns.  Yet now, we want him back.  

I've grown accustomed to fans just hating everyone but VY, Ricky, and Earl.  That includes me, btw.  I irrationally hate Greg Davis and Mack more than any coach since.

Tie in to recruitment....I wonder how our hatred of everyone affects momentum sometimes.  We fans likely make no difference but I do think it moves the needle.  Then again, I think the two biggest factors in school choice are which school sets them up for the NFL the best and which bag is heaviest, not fan base or quality of education or facilities or coach or relationships. 

That is in no way irrational. It’s the opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 2