2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I read it as hate mail while he was here. Probably by assholes who thought he was pushing out Mack. 

Correct.  It was while he was a coach here.   

Our fans really really really suck.  I couldn't believe it and its shaped how i think of us. 

Guess back then, the average fan wasn't on social media or Hornfans or any other place you could yell at other fans to show how tough you were so you mailed things instead.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The old Shaggy board was full of people ripping Muschamp during the 2010 season even though we had a top 10 defense in YPG and we were clearly losing because of our inept turnover factory offense.  But instead you’d get a surprising number of idiot hot takes like “Yes, Gilbert threw 5 INTs and we were shutout … but why didn’t the defense score for us?!?!”

In fact, I think Mack even literally tried to blame the defense and special teams for not helping the offense with more return TDs after one of those losses in his misguided attempt to not solely blame the offense.  It was all embarrassing.

Someone with a better memory will correct this, but at one point that year Mack had some utterly bizarre quote, like "We need a minimum of three defensive scores a game". A month or so later Muschamp was the head coach at Florida. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was something insane like that.  I had forgotten how full of shit Mack could be until this thread triggered it.

I looked up the defensive stats from that year.   We were 6th in the country in yards per game allowed, and 10th in the country in yards per play - both easily the best in the Big 12, too, which was in full swing of its hurry up no huddle shootout phase.   And then we were only 49th in the country in points allowed despite that defense because we had so many pick sixes and short fields thanks to the Gilbert / Case / Greg Davis experience.

I hate the "trigger" word.  But I'm like you and triggered by thinking of Mack and his folksy, arrogant, blame everyone but Sally and the great parents bullshit.  

Say what you will about Sark....Mack would not have played Xavier Worthy until OK State game because he would have thrown up in the Cotton Bowl tunnel.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Someone with a better memory will correct this, but at one point that year Mack had some utterly bizarre quote, like "We need a minimum of three defensive scores a game". A month or so later Muschamp was the head coach at Florida. 

I think it was something like, “the defense didn’t score enough” or “the defense needs to score more to help the offense.”

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I remember our fans screaming at Muschamp, as we were losing games like 9-7 at halftime. It was embarrassing. 

Nothing is ever good enough for some. But its easy to complain when you have no clue what’s actually happening. 

Edited by taybo20

7 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Nothing is ever good enough for some. But its easy to complain when you have no clue what’s actually happening. 

100%.  Which is why I find any fan digging their heels in on either side of our coaching decision comical.  No one on this board knows shit but we act like keeping Sark is the only option or firing everyone and hiring coach du jour will cure everything.

It's OK to have an opinion and not be blinded by it.   This ain't politics where binary options and my beliefs are the absolute only right way.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I think it was something like, “the defense didn’t score enough” or “the defense needs to score more to help the offense.”

Seriously think he put a number on it. Think it was three defensive/ST TDs per game, which was probably more than the offense was scoring at the time.

Sounds like Mickey Joseph is going to Nebraska. Sucks because he would have been the absolutely perfect replacement for Coleman..  but at least we won't have to recruit directly against his ass anymore. I get he played at Nebraska but still surprised he is joining that sinking ship.

Obviously he would not have been an option if we are firing his brother (or cousin?) Terry but I will fucking believe that only when it actually happens.

edit: On a recruiting related note... wonder what that potentially means for Shaz Preston. We haven't heard his name much the last ~month but that was mostly due to him being a considered an LSU lock afaik. Joseph was his primary there and he sure as fuck isn't following the guy to corn country. Hopefully Preston comes back into play depending on our hire. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

How would people feel about Coombs as a corners coach?

He's obviously a shit defensive coordinator but he's been a great secondary coach and can recruit. 

The only suitable reaction to that, for anyone not completely goddamn retarded, would be:

jizz GIF

Coombs would instantly flip Brookes and almost certainly guarantee Harris. Fucker has played a major role in bleeding talent from our state. Throwing a Co-DC tag on Coombs would be an automatic decision for 99.99% of the coaches out there. It is never going to happen though. 

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

I remember our fans screaming at Muschamp, as we were losing games like 9-7 at halftime. It was embarrassing. 

I don't remember any of that and I was at every game.  I remember everyone being pissed at Mack and Davis for our shitty offense with GG.

6 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Coombs is a great DB coach, but what the fuck are we doing with PK?  If we're keeping PK, does Coombs pair with him well?  Hopefully we get rid of PK, but then, who is the new DC?  Does Coombs want to work with him? 

It isn't even worth discussing because Coombs isn't coming here. He is a white whale like Karl Scott or Raymond. Nice to dream about but <.01% chance of happening. Purely theoretical? You would make Coombs Co-DC and pay him as much or even more than PK and dare the cunt to mention it twice. Offer Choate a token raise in exchange for losing the title and throw him some made up bullshit like 'run defense coordinator' or something like we did with Joseph. I stress again this is purely hypothetical because there is no fucking chance enough things go right for us to actually land someone like him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There's almost no DB coach who is a no brainer if we're keeping PK.  He needs very, very specific coaching skills in his DB coaches because he can't coordinate the whole defense.  He needs someone to coordinate the back end and passing game for him, in exactly the way he needs it done.  Jimmy Lake, Marcell Yates... Could others work? Sure, but who the fuck knows who those people would be.  Maybe Coombs would be a good fit... He could also end up being a terribad fit. 

Edited by RabidM

11 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Correct.  It was while he was a coach here.   

Our fans really really really suck.  I couldn't believe it and its shaped how i think of us. 

Guess back then, the average fan wasn't on social media or Hornfans or any other place you could yell at other fans to show how tough you were so you mailed things instead.

Mack and sally didn’t appreciate the attention and credit will was getting.  Half of the hate for will came from Mack loyalists.  The other half hated him because he dared to leave Texas, even though Mack, as he showed by his actions during the saban debacle, had no intention of retiring

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mack and sally didn’t appreciate the attention and credit will was getting.  Half of the hate for will came from Mack loyalists.  The other half hated him because he dared to leave Texas, even though Mack, as he showed by his actions during the saban debacle, had no intention of retiring

Maybe Mack loyalists for sure but the shit they got mailed to them many times was during the year when defense underwhelmed.  And underwhelmed back then would have been our best defensive game in a decade now.  

It's a bit what I see out of OSU fans right now with their loss to Michigan.  

Just now, Hornbeliever said:

Maybe Mack loyalists for sure but the shit they got mailed to them many times was during the year when defense underwhelmed.  And underwhelmed back then would have been our best defensive game in a decade now.  

It's a bit what I see out of OSU fans right now with their loss to Michigan.  

There’s a reason why herb left Columbus 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So maybe we don’t want Simmons…

Because some random bitch is throwing shade? Weird as hell to even take a shot at Simmons; doubt he even knew this was coming. The reports from USC are that they did not even get a deal done until literally last night. 

edit: And yes I know that is the mother. Clearly whatever drama she is supposedly referencing didn't do a damned thing to stop Simmons from lining up a killer group of '23 wideouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Because some random bitch is throwing shade? Weird as hell to even take a shot at Simmons; doubt he even knew this was coming. The reports from USC are that they did not even get a deal done until literally last night. 

Doesn’t matter when deal was made. Lies were still told. 

Just now, Ravishing Rick said:

It's Charleston Rambo's mom, so not random

Yeah, I know, but considering her son bailed on OU and in the year since there hasn't been a single slice of drama involving Simmons get out or any sign of his recruiting ability being slowed...    who the fuck cares what she thinks? I don't consider her take any more valid than the bullshit flowing from Thompson's dad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Yeah, I know, but considering her son bailed on OU and in the year since there hasn't been a single slice of drama involving Simmons get out or any sign of his recruiting ability being slowed...    who the fuck cares what she thinks? I don't consider her take any more valid than the bullshit flowing from Thompson's dad. 

Unlike Thompson, her son is actually good.

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Saban, never lies. Urban, pillar of integrity. Lies are always told by coaches, especially regarding their employment opportunities.

Sure, but that doesn’t  mean players and parents have to just take it and like it. Let them vent

What the fuck are y’all so mad about? They’re shitting on OU and and Lincoln Riley. Good.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So maybe we don’t want Simmons…

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Unlike Thompson, her son is actually good.

Sure, but that doesn’t  mean players and parents have to just take it and like it. Let them vent

What the fuck are y’all so mad about? They’re shitting on OU and and Lincoln Riley. Good.

Mad? Context, dude. It was a response to, “maybe we don’t want Simmons”.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

No one is 'mad'. It was simply a response to the idea that we shouldn't want or pursue Simmons because the mother of a former disgruntled Sooner took a shot at him for something he likely had no involvement in (considering he isn't listed among those following Riley to USC). I hope every single parent and player on OU spends the next few months roasting the shit out of that staff and Riley to anyone who will listen. They deserve it...     but the idea it would or should cause us to hesitate for even one second to hire Simmons is silly. 

5 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Mad? Context, dude. It was a response to, “maybe we don’t want Simmons”.

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

No one is 'mad'. It was simply a response to the idea that we shouldn't want or pursue Simmons because the mother of a former disgruntled Sooner took a shot at him for something he likely had no involvement in (considering he isn't listed among those following Riley to USC). I hope every single parent and player on OU spends the next few months roasting the shit out of that staff and Riley to anyone who will listen. They deserve it...     but the idea it would or should cause us to hesitate for even one second to hire Simmons is silly. 

I’ll worry about “defending Simmons’ honor” if he actually comes here. Until then, fuck him too. If he stays at OU or follows Riley, still the two most likely options, this narrative works just fine for us.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Saw a report earlier that said Simmons was expected to follow Riley to LA. Was from a 9.95er and can’t find the tweet now. 

He is likely taking his entire staff with him. I mean they recruit California better than all the West coast schools minus Oregon, so why not.

8 hours ago, Tony Two K said:

Dennis Simmons would be a great pick up. Teammates with Sark at BYU…

The discussion started with this and then someone posted the bitter parent tweet while stating maybe we don’t want him.

14 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’ll worry about “defending Simmons’ honor” if he actually comes here. Until then, fuck him too. If he stays at OU or follows Riley, still the two most likely options, this narrative works just fine for us.

I can’t tell if you’re stubborn, stupid, or both, but try and keep up with the discussion before digging your fox hole and launching your mortars. That tweet provides no reason to avoid pursuing him as a WR coach and that’s what we were discussing.