Texas Football Roster 2022 -- "Welcome To The Party Pal"

LTtxfan

Thanks for this @Snake Diggity

2022 scholarship roster based on senior day release and compiled rumors:

QB (4): TBD portal, Card, Wright, Murphy

RB (6): Bijan, Roschon, Keilan, Brooks, Miller, Blue

WR (10): Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Cain, Alexis, Winfield, TBD recruitx2

TE (3): Sanders, Helm, Davis

OL (15): TBD portalx2, Angilau, Majors, Karic, Jones, Conner, Parr, Hookfin, Garth, Merril, Robertson, Hutson, TBD recruitx2

DL (17): Collins, Ojomo, Sweat, Oghoufu, Murphy, Brown, Broughton, Tapp, Sorrell, Bledsoe, Finkley, Thomas, Jones, Bryant, Ross, Swanson, TBD recruit

LB (12): Overshown, TBD portal, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Brockermeyer, Abiara, Harris, Blackwell, Johnson, Kerry, TBD recruit

DB (13): Jamison, Cook, Adimora, Thompson, Barron, Crawford, Johnson, Allen, Jordan, Coffey, Ibraheem, Lewis, TBD recruit

ST (3): Pearson, Stone, St. Louis

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for this @Hookem2147

IT on players who could return or leave:

Staying or leaving

A number of Texas players will have the option to return for one final year or leave early. Along with the team underwhelming, a numerous individual players who expected to have breakout seasons did not. Most of these players are leaning one way or the other with a decision yet to be made. We'll continue tracking these players going forward.

CB Josh Thompson: The corner had a solid season and already fit NFL size/athleticism specs. The physicality he displayed this year will give him a good ceiling as a safety if corner doesn't work out in the NFL. With his injury, we feel confident Josh T. has played his final game at Texas.

CB D'Shawn Jamison: Jamison did not display the improved consistency we were hoping to see at corner. He was at times dangerous as a returner, and that has caught the eye of NFL scouts. He's had his share of scouts come through and check him out. At this time, no decision has been made. He seems to go back and forth. A return is possible and would be big for the program as corner depth could help the staff address issues elsewhere in the secondary.

DB BJ Foster: We do not expect Foster to return but have not heard that definitively.

DB Anthony Cook: The nickel had a pretty strong year in his first season as an entrenched starter. He's heavily considering returning to Texas. His thinking per a source is, "It's not the right time. We're not done yet."

LB DeMarvion Overshown: Overshown is probably leaving, but like Cook, he doesn't want to go out like this. There's a chance he returns but we'd call it slight.

DL Keondre Coburn: One source thinks he's leaving and another thinks he's staying. So, we're not sure.

DL T'Vondre Sweat: Sweat is another player we're monitoring. There's some talk he may depart, and maybe not necessarily for an NFL training camp.

While fans may not see individual ability, partially due to unit struggles, who knows what scouts and agents are telling them.

These decisions are in a constant state of flux, not unlike recruits getting ready to pick a school. We'll continue monitoring as best we can.

We also know of a few guys who will hit the portal in search of playing time. We'll keep those names private until after the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brian Davis    Hookem

"Quarterback, pass rush, offensive line depth, injury: Plenty of issues ahead for Texas Longhorns"

Hard conversations are coming: ‘The biggest thing for me, and this is how I've been with the players from day one, I think I'm honest and transparent’

Texas 2022 roster already looks good...

“I’ll be here next year,” Bijan Robinson said Monday. “I'm a really loyal guy. And when I say I'm going to do something, I’m going to stick to it.”

Getting that level of support from an NFL-caliber running back feels like the strongest vote of confidence yet for Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian.

Texas (4-7, 2-6 Big 12) will close out the season Friday against Kansas State (7-4, 4-4). Whether the Horns finish strong with a victory or end on a seven-game losing streak doesn’t really matter. Those inside the program are already thinking about the future and turning this battleship around.

The school will honor 29 players during pregame ceremonies. But it was notable that senior linebacker DeMarvion Overshown, the team’s leading tackler, wasn’t on UT’s list of names distributed to reporters Monday. Senior defensive backs D’Shawn Jamison and Anthony Cook’s names were absent, too.

Most seniors have another year of eligibility because of the pandemic. But Sarkisian will soon be having hard conversations with some players who simply aren’t good enough to play at this level.

Asked what area he needed to improve right away, Sarkisian said, “It’s hard to say one, I’ll be honest with you, because I think there’s some things that are pretty glaring.”

Quarterback job is now open

Start at quarterback.

“I think that we have to open that job up. I think we have to let these guys compete to see the development,” Sarkisian said. “We’re going to tear this thing all the way down, and we’re going to start back at square one come winter conditioning and then into spring ball.”

Casey Thompson and Hudson Card will battle for the job, assuming one or both stay. Four-star recruit Maalik Murphy from Gardena, Calif., is expected to sign his national letter of intent in December. Sarkisian said he’s open to pulling a quarterback from the transfer portal, too. Whatever it takes.

Quarterbacks:Texas QBs both banged up, leaving it unclear who’s healthy for Kansas State

Against the Wildcats, Thompson (thumb) would’ve been the starter if the game had been played Monday, Sarkisian said. Card suffered a lower leg injury when he was dragged down by a West Virginia defender. Both quarterbacks are being monitored day-to-day, the coach said.

Quarterback is just the start. Sarkisian already has a laundry list of things to fix.

Get stronger in the trenches

“We’ve got to find a way, whether it’s through scheme or personnel, to generate a better pass rush,” he said.

Texas ranks seventh in the Big 12 this season in sacks and has rarely had any consistent pass rush. Defensive end Jacoby Jones, who missed the last five games with a foot injury, insisted he will be on the field Friday.

“I am playing Friday. I'm playing my heart out,” Jones said. The senior, who grew up in Shreveport, La., is leaving with his head held high and a degree in youth and community studies. “Might be one of (those) games where coach might tell me to come out, and I’m not coming out.”

Offensive line is also a major priority. “We’ve got to improve our depth on the offensive line,” Sarkisian said.

Texas signed only two offensive linemen in the 2021 recruiting class, which was mostly complete by the time Sarkisian arrived in January. He wants to sign five either next month during the early signing period or in February.

Guard Tope Imade, a sixth-year player, is the rare Longhorn who has played for three different head coaches during his time on campus. “I know from the short time I’ve had with Coach Sark, he is the guy,” he said.

Imade also praised offensive line coach Kyle Flood. Imade would know; he’s played for four position coaches during his time at UT. “I couldn't be any more grateful,” he said. “Even outside of me, I see walk-ons developing, and that’s amazing. You know, I've never seen that here before.”

Senior lineman Derek Kerstetter, who has 48 career starts, also likes the current staff. “No, this year hasn't been what we wanted,” he said. “They’ve come to work every single day. They’ve continued to try to push us to be the best we can. And that’s all you can ask for.”

Banged-up Horns must get healthy

The head coach also wants to see players outside of the training room. “Then the third area, we got to get healthy,” Sarkisian said.

Robinson, one of the Big 12’s most electric threats, will end up missing the final two games with a dislocated elbow. Thompson and Card will reach the finish line with injuries. Jones, a starter, missed time. Receiver Jordan Whittington missed four games with a clavicle injury. Receiver Troy Omeire missed the entire season with a knee injury.

From a position group standpoint, Sarkisian likes what he has at running back. Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson and Jonathan Brooks “embody what we want Texas Longhorns to embody,” he said.

Sarkisian didn’t want to specify any other position groups. That’s because every other position group could see changes.

“The biggest thing for me, and this is how I've been with the players from day one, I think I'm honest and transparent,” Sarkisian said. “In no means am I trying to be demeaning to anybody. They know where I'm coming from is with real honesty.

“I'm not in that room to make them feel a certain type of way or try to build them up or break them down a certain type of way,” he added. “It's just an honest evaluation of where they're at from my eyes.”

But perhaps most important, Sarkisian needs players who believe. Players like Robinson, for example.

If Robinson’s all-in, others will follow suit. Asked how he feels about 2022, Robinson said, “I hope to feel great about it.”

“Getting a lot of new guys, just a new team structure, what Coach Sark’s doing and how he’s managing everything and how he has a plan to change a lot of things as it should happen to bring a new environment into this program,” Robinson said. “I'm excited about it.”

Thanks for this [mention=232]Snake Diggity[/mention]

2022 scholarship roster based on senior day release and compiled rumors:

QB (4): TBD portal, Card, Wright, Murphy

RB (6): Bijan, Roschon, Keilan, Brooks, Miller, Blue

WR (10): Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Cain, Alexis, Winfield, TBD recruitx2

TE (3): Sanders, Helm, Davis

OL (15): TBD portalx2, Angilau, Majors, Karic, Jones, Conner, Parr, Hookfin, Garth, Merril, Robertson, Hutson, TBD recruitx2

DL (17): Collins, Ojomo, Sweat, Oghoufu, Murphy, Brown, Broughton, Tapp, Sorrell, Bledsoe, Finkley, Thomas, Jones, Bryant, Ross, Swanson, TBD recruit

LB (12): Overshown, TBD portal, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Brockermeyer, Abiara, Harris, Blackwell, Johnson, Kerry, TBD recruit

DB (13): Jamison, Cook, Adimora, Thompson, Barron, Crawford, Johnson, Allen, Jordan, Coffey, Ibraheem, Lewis, TBD recruit

ST (3): Pearson, Stone, St. Louis

So I guess Jared Wiley is expected to xfer?

16 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That is gangsta.

That’s the second thing he’s said (the first being “I’m built for this”) that leads me to believe he may be more aggressive then his public persona shows.  Out of all the coaches that have been through Alabama, Sark was the one they were ready to give the keys to the kingdom to after Saban retired. That leads me to believe that there may be more to him from a coaching standpoint then what we’ve seen so far. This season was a unmitigated disaster but I think if Sark is given the opportunity to recruit players he feels fits his system he will get this thing turned around. 

Edited by HornsofBevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

That’s the second thing he’s said (the first being “I’m built for this”) that leads me to believe he may be more aggressive then his public persona shows.  Out of all the coaches that have been through Alabama, Sark was the one they were ready to give the keys to the kingdom to after Saban retired. That leads me to believe that there may be more to him from a coaching standpoint then what we’ve seen so far. This season was a unmitigated disaster but I think if Sark is given the opportunity to recruit players he feels fits his system he will get this thing turned around. 

Bama also hired DuBose, Franchione, Price (does he even count?), and Shula.

An upgraded roster will be nice. Incidentally, why didn't "the purge" begin last spring? Now we gotta hope Sark doesn't need to make any halftime/2nd half adjustments in close games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Bama also hired DuBose, Franchione, Price (does he even count?), and Shula.

An upgraded roster will be nice. Incidentally, why didn't "the purge" begin last spring? Now we gotta hope Sark doesn't need to make any halftime/2nd half adjustments in close games. 

I just don’t think there was enough time for a purge to start in spring. It’s starting now tho and the messaging is going to be clear for new players coming to Texas 

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I just don’t think there was enough time for a purge to start in spring. It’s starting now tho and the messaging is going to be clear for new players coming to Texas 

It's starting now bc Sark has gotta cover his ass while passing the buck.

I expect 6-6 or 7-5, at best, next season if we turnover 30%+ of this roster. Unless we do better in the portal than we have. The DEs we got from Bama and LSU - Davis & Thornton - were JAGs. K-Rob was pretty good, but limited, or he would've seen more snaps. He's a liability in the passing game is my guess, both receiving and pass-blocking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Also, Thompson not listed at QB. Is he expected to portal? 

7 hours ago, scottsins said:

So I guess Jared Wiley is expected to xfer?

Based on rumors, yes to both.  Also new rumor that Sweat will portal, but offset by updates that Coburn might come back.  And since that was posted, 2 recruits (Winfield and Miller) have decommitted, but we’ve gained a commit from Gilbeau.

Summary needs are still roughly the same:

Convince Super Seniors to return: Overshown, Jamison, Cook

Portal: QB, OLx2, LB

New recruits: WRx2, OL

Cant afford to lose: Bijan, Worthy, Whittington, Angilau, Majors, Collins

Edited by Snake Diggity

10 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

• Convince Super Srs to return: Overshown, Jamison, Cook
  • Portal: QB, OLx2, LB
  • New recruits: WRx2, OL

Portal:  Pretty sure at least 1 safety will be added, and if they can get lucky and find a good pass rusher they'll add  1   (difficult to find in portal)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

The message to new players is we will throw you under the bus to cover for our coaching inadequacies.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

It's starting now bc Sark has gotta cover his ass while passing the buck.

I expect 6-6 or 7-5, at best, next season if we turnover 30%+ of this roster. Unless we do better in the portal than we have. The DEs we got from Bama and LSU - Davis & Thornton - were JAGs. K-Rob was pretty good, but limited, or he would've seen more snaps. He's a liability in the passing game is my guess, both receiving and pass-blocking.

I mean when would you have liked it to start?? You would have thought he was the dumbest human alive had he tried to turn over 30% of the roster during spring. We have the benefit of hindsight now. 

24 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

The message to new players is we will throw you under the bus to cover for our coaching inadequacies.

All you have to do is watch individual players on any given play during the season to realize that we have major talent issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

Depth was one of our biggest issues this year. Now if you want to blame Sark and his staff for not foreseeing depth as a problem that’s one thing but when you have guys at key positions with poor attitudes that know their backups can’t play at this level there’s not much you can do about it during the season. That’s why I’m looking forward to who he brings in to replace the potential 30+ players that leave/get cut this year. If this staff is able to evaluate players the way they did Worthy then we will have a massive turn around next year. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Or the message is "we will go out and find guys with talent who don't go half-assed to play alongside you..."

Too many people on the roster over the last several years just don't care about football that much.  Anyone who cannot see that lives in a Ray Charles stupor.

27 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

Depth was one of our biggest issues this year. Now if you want to blame Sark and his staff for not foreseeing depth as a problem that’s one thing but when you have guys at key positions with poor attitudes that know their backups can’t play at this level there’s not much you can do about it during the season. That’s why I’m looking forward to who he brings in to replace the potential 30+ players that leave/get cut this year. If this staff is able to evaluate players the way they did Worthy then we will have a massive turn around next year. 

If folks really take the time to analyze this year's two deep depth chart, it is obvious that "The Great Purge" is necessary. 

No doubt SARK and his staff messed up by not picking up OL help from the portal last spring -- sustaining more long drives would have really helped this season. 

After a spring, summer, and this fall season the excuses for SARK not understanding where the problems exist on this roster are gone -- really interested to see how they rebuild this roster for 2022.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Or the message is "we will go out and find guys with talent who don't go half-assed to play alongside you..."   Too many people on the roster over the last several years just don't care about football that much.  Anyone who cannot see that lives in a Ray Charles stupor.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I mean when would you have liked it to start?? You would have thought he was the dumbest human alive had he tried to turn over 30% of the roster during spring. We have the benefit of hindsight now. 

Last spring, with a few bad apples like BJ Foster. I'm not convinced he needs to turn over 30% of this roster. He needed to get buy-in and to coach 'em up. Didn't happen.

I have thought he's the dumbest coach alive at times this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Last spring, with a few bad apples like BJ Foster. I'm not convinced he needs to turn over 30% of this roster. He needed to get buy-in and to coach 'em up. Didn't happen.

I have thought he's the dumbest coach alive at times this season. 

I just don’t think it’s that easy to get buy in like that. Especially with guys that have been through multiple position coaches. And honestly, no one was saying cut Foster in spring. So that’s kinda dumb to say.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Based on rumors, yes to both.  Also new rumor that Sweat will portal, but offset by updates that Coburn might come back.  And since that was posted, 2 recruits (Winfield and Miller) have decommitted, but we’ve gained a commit from Gilbeau.

Convince Super Seniors to return: Overshown, Jamison, Cook

Portal: QB, OLx2, LB

New recruits: WRx2, OL

Cant afford to lose: Bijan, Worthy, Whittington, Angilau, Majors, Collins

I'm still not convinced on Jamison... His booms aren't great and his busts are fantastically terribly bad.  Maybe another year in the same(?) system helps his consistency.  Also, his (alleged) speed is not showing up on the field. He's getting run by/away from.

He does effort, so I suppose that is worth bringing back to compete with others and avoid having FR CBs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm still not convinced on Jamison... His booms aren't great and his busts are fantastically terribly bad.  Maybe another year in the same(?) system helps his consistency.  Also, his (alleged) speed is not showing up on the field. He's getting run by/away from.

He does effort, so I suppose that is worth bringing back to compete with others and avoid having FR CBs.

I really wish they would try and develop Jamison as a free safety.  He has good instincts, can play the ball, and is fast.  Instead they played a guy that runs a fucking 4.9, can’t cover, poor instincts, and doesn’t give a rats ass in BJ Foster.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Eh, I'd rather keep Sweat out of the two, but who knows.

Does Sweat want to be a space eater? If he isn't cool with the role, everyone is better off he's gone. I think it's like him to stay, but only if he's bought in to his role and the effort needed to succeed. (Applies to everyone...)

Just now, victory88 said:

I really wish they would try and develop Jamison as a free safety.  He has good instincts, can play the ball, and is fast.  Instead they played a guy that runs a fucking 4.9, can’t cover, poor instincts, and doesn’t give a rats ass in BJ Foster.

Shit.... In retrospect, you're probably right. Jamison at safety could have been worth a win or two.

• Hook 'Em 1