Texas Football Roster 2022 -- "Welcome To The Party Pal"

LTtxfan

12 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I just don’t think it’s that easy to get buy in like that. Especially with guys that have been through multiple position coaches. And honestly, no one was saying cut Foster in spring. So that’s kinda dumb to say.

No, it isn't. We've got 3 years of film with BJ taking poor angles, bad tackling, and weak ball skills. Throw in character issues and he's one we could've done without. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

But, now  Sark is gonna get tough and demand buy-in? Okay...

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Man it sucks Brockermeyer is coming back. I hope he doesn't play unless it's a blowout. I can't take anymore of our LB's 

But, Gbenda and Ford looked serviceable against a freshman who can't throw.

Bring on more wildcat/single-wing teams!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

But, Gbenda and Ford looked serviceable against a freshman who can't throw.

Bring on more wildcat/single-wing teams!

I actually think Ford will be a good one. Not sure on Gbenda, but I really like Ford. I just cannot take anymore Brockermeyer. He has heart, but dude is just so unathletic. And what's the deal with Richardson? 

20 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

No, it isn't. We've got 3 years of film with BJ taking poor angles, bad tackling, and weak ball skills. Throw in character issues and he's one we could've done without. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

But, now  Sark is gonna get tough and demand buy-in? Okay...

Show me where you said to get rid of him during spring. No one said that. It’s so fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Show me where you said to get rid of him during spring. No one said that. It’s so fucking stupid. 

It's not unreasonable or unexpected for a new HC to run off guys immediately if he doesn't like their tape, character, or fit. The point is Sark didn't do much, if any, of that last spring. But, maybe he believed they'd reform or "coach up" Foster and others.

Regrettably, we found out he couldn't.

Last spring, with a few bad apples like BJ Foster. I'm not convinced he needs to turn over 30% of this roster. He needed to get buy-in and to coach 'em up. Didn't happen.
I have thought he's the dumbest coach alive at times this season. 

This is quite accurate.

But I’m not sure who the bad apples are. Think many Thought Coburn was. But he blew up 3 of 4 short yardage plays yesterday. So what does that say.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

This is quite accurate.

But I’m not sure who the bad apples are. Think many Thought Coburn was. But he blew up 3 of 4 short yardage plays yesterday. So what does that say.

I read that the new staff wanted Coburn to drop 20-30 lbs and he refused to do it. No doubt, he's capable in short bursts. But, he probably lacks the conditioning needed to do it consistently well. 

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

1. We didnt have enough good players to run people off.

2. The coaches were smart to spend a year on seeing who will step up and lead next year.

Maybe so, but I think turning over 30% of the roster now is going to set Texas Football back another year or two. Sark won't be around to reap the benefits in that scenario. Our boosters and fans aren't that patient.

But, I don't know what he promised Hartzell, Eltife, and CDC during his interviews. I doubt anyone saw 5-7 coming, though. 

12 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It's not unreasonable or unexpected for a new HC to run off guys immediately if he doesn't like their tape, character, or fit. The point is Sark didn't do much, if any, of that last spring. But, maybe he believed they'd reform or "coach up" Foster and others.

Regrettably, we found out he couldn't.

I’m sure they wanted to get them to buy in. And those like Bijan and Xavier have clearly. So I guess we can pick and choose all day

Watching the Iron Bowl now, and I can’t help but think… if you locked our 11 defensive starters in a room with Bama’s 11 defensive starters and told them “no one is allowed to leave until all players from one team are dead”, I’m confident all 11 Bama players would walk out of that room unscathed about 2 minutes later. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Watching the Iron Bowl now, and I can’t help but think… if you locked our 11 defensive starters in a room with Bama’s 11 defensive starters and told them “no one is allowed to leave until all players from one team are dead”, I’m confident all 11 Bama players would walk out of that room unscathed about 2 minutes later. 

Hell, our guys don't want any part of Iowa St either.

Gbenda was lost on several plays yesterday -- not sure if he's gonna figure it out.   Ford definitely is improving...  

Is Ford improving?

He got his ass whipped quite a bit yesterday.

By the way he’s played a lot since OSU. He had 12 tackles then, six yesterday. He had a nice tackle for loss then got pinned inside the next play.

And actually I like him. In my opinion, our biggest issue is upfront including the edge guys. But yesterday they made plays. Key plays.

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just cannot take anymore Brockermeyer. He has heart, but dude is just so unathletic. 

I felt the same way when he was named Tyson King. And when he was named Kyle Richardson. And when he was named Dusty Renfro. And when he was named Scott Derry. And when….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Is Ford improving?

He got his ass whipped quite a bit yesterday.

By the way he’s played a lot since OSU. He had 12 tackles then, six yesterday. He had a nice tackle for loss then got pinned inside the next play.

And actually I like him. In my opinion, our biggest issue is upfront including the edge guys. But yesterday they made plays. Key plays.

That happens sometimes with a redshirt freshman. Brockermeyer will be a 5th year guy, I think, next year. He’s going to remain physically incapable of making the plays asked of his position. He is what he is. At least with Ford there’s a higher ceiling.

Agreed on the edge being the number one issue if I had to pick one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That happens sometimes with a redshirt freshman. Brockermeyer will be a 5th year guy, I think, next year. He’s going to remain physically incapable of making the plays asked of his position. He is what he is. At least with Ford there’s a higher ceiling.

Agreed on the edge being the number one issue if I had to pick one.

It’s not really an either or with Ford. All 4 of our top LBers have utility. Only one gets shit on. Continuously. That’s the shit that wears me out.

Ford had more game time experience than Brockermeyer coming into this year. But that’s not really the point.

But to act as those Ford was better yesterday than in prior games is bullshit. He’s s decent combo of reading the play and attacking. He’s not good in zone defense although he’s productive chasing after the catch.

Gbendas utility is that he goes hard. But also that’s in the wrong direction. That looks damn good when he gets put right there but is awful when not. Yeah, I’d use that sucker in short yardage if I’m attacking the LOS. He also seems to clean up around the LOS with a slow footed QB trying to free the pocket.

Many of you want shit that doesn’t exist. At least rarely. All our dudes get whipped by OLineman. That 250 lb dude that handles OL but can run down Deuce Vaughn doesn’t exist in many places.

Our front 4 is the biggest need. They don’t eat blocks, they don’t force double teams, they don’t pressure the QB, they don’t make many negative plays, they don’t keep our LBers clean. I’d load up here on the recruiting front. Even with Ossai here it was a problem up front. Our goal should be dominant across the front.

But I’m not sure any of us know what we’re trying to accomplish on D so if you don’t know what we’re trying to do, you don’t know who is capable of what.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

Every time I watch Auburn I’m struck by how much more physically developed their front 7 on defense looks. They crank out some specimens.

21 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Maybe so, but I think turning over 30% of the roster now is going to set Texas Football back another year or two. Sark won't be around to reap the benefits in that scenario. Our boosters and fans aren't that patient.

But, I don't know what he promised Hartzell, Eltife, and CDC during his interviews. I doubt anyone saw 5-7 coming, though. 

You understand that 30% of the roster is only 26 players right? That is pretty much complete with the outgoing transfers and graduates. Pretty much all of those guys are useless. 

You saying we should keep more of Herman's awful evaluations now, but also should have processed BJ Foster last spring, is hypocritical. And dumb. 

• Fuck You 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, HornsofBevo said:

That’s the second thing he’s said (the first being “I’m built for this”) that leads me to believe he may be more aggressive then his public persona shows.  Out of all the coaches that have been through Alabama, Sark was the one they were ready to give the keys to the kingdom to after Saban retired. That leads me to believe that there may be more to him from a coaching standpoint then what we’ve seen so far. This season was a unmitigated disaster but I think if Sark is given the opportunity to recruit players he feels fits his system he will get this thing turned around. 

I think it was DKR who said, he could take his uns and beat you and he could take your uns and beat you.

If you have to have players to fit your system to avoid 5-7, you lack the flexibility to be a great coach.  Mack and Greg Davis gave VY a lot of leash.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, DFW Horn said:

Maybe so, but I think turning over 30% of the roster now is going to set Texas Football back another year or two. 

In theory you turn over 20-25% of the roster every year. So bumping that number up and thinning out poor performers / bad locker room guys is the right move. Especially if you can backfill with experienced dudes from the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TornACL said:

In theory you turn over 20-25% of the roster every year. So bumping that number up and thinning out poor performers / bad locker room guys is the right move. Especially if you can backfill with experienced dudes from the portal. 

I don't disagree, I'm just hoping the portal is more productive for us than it was last spring. K-Rob is pretty good, but limited in the passing game apparently, and the DEs we got are JAGs. My complaint is we didn't start weeding out the bad fits sooner.

But, better late than never.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, DFW Horn said:

Strong and Herman both did this same thing, and neither Herman or Sark has reaped any benefits from it. Like you said, our boosters and fans aren’t patient so it’ll be interesting to see if Sark can buck this trend. I’d like to see what he can do over a 5 year span, personally. 

On 11/27/2021 at 11:27 PM, Had Enough said:

Our front 4 is the biggest need. They don’t eat blocks, they don’t force double teams, they don’t pressure the QB, they don’t make many negative plays, they don’t keep our LBers clean. I’d load up here on the recruiting front. Even with Ossai here it was a problem up front. Our goal should be dominant across the front.

But I’m not sure any of us know what we’re trying to accomplish on D so if you don’t know what we’re trying to do, you don’t know who is capable of what.

So much this. It all starts (and ends) with the Line, on both sides of the ball. We HAVE to get this fixed, to allow what talent we have to shine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/27/2021 at 9:03 AM, taybo20 said:

I just don’t think there was enough time for a purge to start in spring. It’s starting now tho and the messaging is going to be clear for new players coming to Texas 

Also, whether to step in and purge a roster as one of your first acts is probably a tough call. Combine that with coming in to a step-down from Alabama in terms of talent and culture and conference and everything else, it is probably exceedingly difficult to get a handle on whether a purge is needed.

"Geez, these guys look like they may suck.  Is that even possible?  I would like a do-over. Maybe it's not as bad as I think and these guys can compete in the Big XII."

And, again, I refer to what is likely Sarkisian's attitude about trying to force/control people into doing what they won't do for themselves as a result of being in recovery.  That attitude may be inconsistent with being a successful high-level HFC, or not.  But it may explain what appears to be a certain passiveness that masks a fearsome determination.  Most often, a drunk who gets sober becomes extremely effective at what they do, obviously better than when they were wallowing in addiction, but frequently orders of magnitude better.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

...he was named Reed Boyd...

csb/

After the 2003 Cotton Bowl against LSU, I had "press credentials" and got to go to the post-game PC.  Lots of players, Williams and Redding, obvs, Simms, Ced, were mobbed with press asking questions and stuff.  Boyd was just standing around awkwardly.  No one wanted to talk to him.  It was sad.  I went up to him, shook his hand and said thanks.  Did the same to Simms.  Both of them, but especially Simms, kind of lit up a little.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bullet said:

I think it was DKR who said, he could take his uns and beat you and he could take your uns and beat you.

If you have to have players to fit your system to avoid 5-7, you lack the flexibility to be a great coach.  Mack and Greg Davis gave VY a lot of leash.

Bum Phillips...but yeah.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, Ignatius said:

I felt the same way when he was named Tyson King. And when he was named Kyle Richardson. And when he was named Dusty Renfro. And when he was named Scott Derry. And when….

I actually made a list a couple months ago of all the dudes w've had over the years.  It's amazing to see so many "lunch-pail/coaches on the field types" over the years.

Looking at the list you'd think we're the 80's Penn State

Tyson King

Kevin Watler

Kyle Richardson

Tyson Cutrer

Matt Jones

Brandon Nava

Dusty Renfro

Josh Spoerl

Josh Taft

Reed Boyd

Stevie Stigall

Scott Derry

Dustin Earnest

Chet Moss

Dalton Santos 

Also, I think what's "wrong with our culture" is a subtle thing that may not reveal itself until the season starts.  It's not like most of these guys are "bad character" types like Strong got rid of and created some controversy.

They seem like maybe they're practice warriors, especially against their own equally mediocre teammates.  But when things start going wrong on the field, they mentally and physically collapse.

It's uncanny how, when they stay ahead of the chains, the offense seems to click, and when they get behind, fucking fugeddaboutit, it's complete trash.

Good Roster Info, so adding to this thread -- Thx @Bevo14 and @BurntOrange&White

question from Bevo14:  Is there a list of targets/commits that are enrolling early? I thought 247 used to indicate it on the profiles with an icon but I didn't see it.

Answer from BurntOrange&White:

So far plus relevant targets:

Maalik Murphy         QB
Jaydon Blue               RB
Champ Lewis             CB
Brenen Thompson   WR
Justice Finkley          DL
Bryan Allen Jr              S
Jaray Bledsoe            DL
Anthony Jones          ATH
Cole Hutson                 IOL
Aaron Bryant                DL

Evan Stewart               WR
Larry Turner-Gooden    S
Kevin Coleman             WR
Earnest Greene            IOL
Matthew Golden          WR
Devin Brown                 QB

3 minutes ago, TxTower said:

What!?! Are you his Agent? Charles is that you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone needs him to be their meal ticket. But honestly, I never really thought he'd be good here. He's better than I ever expected, so who knows how he'll do with better teachers. He's a great longhorn and I understand wanting money and tired of losing 

I actually made a list a couple months ago of all the dudes w've had over the years.  It's amazing to see so many "lunch-pail/coaches on the field types" over the years.
Looking at the list you'd think we're the 80's Penn State

Tyson King
Kevin Watler
Kyle Richardson
Tyson Cutrer
Matt Jones
Brandon Nava
Dusty Renfro
Josh Spoerl
Josh Taft
Reed Boyd
Stevie Stigall
Scott Derry
Dustin Earnest
Chet Moss
Dalton Santos 

Dalton Santos was pretty fast for his size. Deceptive quickness, you might say?