Cal Baptist Lancers @ Texas ($10 ticket link)-7:35p (CST)

Guest Lobo

Lowell is a twitter generation announcer. Talks all about stats and trends but does next to no actual play-by-play. If you were listening without watching you'd have absolutely no idea what was happening. It's like listening to a podcast. "So and so is averaging 10.2 on the season" or some such crap. Any attempt at play-by-play has him describing something that happened several seconds ago. Listening to Craig Way (or another competent "in the moment" announcer) calling basketball is so night and day from Lowell's lazy jabbering. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Pretty solid effort, particularly on defense. Can be tough for players to stay focused with a big lead, but they did a decent job of answering CBU's mini runs. Not super long or athletic, but they help each other and clog passing lanes (23 more turnovers forced tonight, btw).

AJ1 finished with 15 points, but what most impressed me were the five dimes. We're going to need more from Carr but I think it's coming.

Also, Texas converted 81 percent (17 of 21) of its free throws.

raised-eyebrow-grinning.gif

This team has a chance to be scary good defensively once Disu is back because he's probably the best defensive player on the roster. Disu is definitely the best rebounder on the roster. 

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/7/2/22560642/vanderbilt-basketball-player-report-card-dylan-disu

"Disu was Vanderbilt’s most impactful player on that end of the floor and it really wasn’t close: opponents averaged 99.5 points per 100 possessions when Disu was on the floor, compared to an average of 103.9 overall."

Edited by texasstrong12

54 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

In totally unrelated news, South Austin's Mom was the recipient of her 1000th "Point" tonight.  No word yet on what precisely that means.  Ramey could not be reached after the game for comment as "holiday obligations" had him called to south side of Ben White immediately following the victory.

Fun fact, I saw some Surly regulars walking out of the FEC and yelled "Muledick!"  They responded, but the 3 people in my party were most confused.  

Edited by Lobo

Fun going on the court after the game. Really like what Beard is doing. Solid D. Largest lead of the game was the final difference - good. Carr has gotta step it up though. Got driven back by their guard too many times and way too many - drive into the lane/pull up the dribble/have no plan/look for an out now he is stuck/try desperately to distribute. Looking forward to Disu. Good entertainment for $3.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

49, 45, and 44 points scored by opponents in the last 3 games. 

It's not great competition but it's still tough to do that. I believe we only held 1 team under 50 points last season. 

I’ve got a feeling that we’re going to be bowl eligible before conference play even begins. 

• Haha 1

I’m going to get negged for this, but Carr is starting to cause some concern for me. I’d like to see Askew get a little more run.  But mostly overall my main takeaway after watching all of our games and a handful of other games is that we don’t have the athleticism to compete with the top 10 teams. Can’t wait to see Disu on the floor and it’s why we hired Beard. This basketball is so much better to watch than the shit Shaka put us through.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Fun going on the court after the game. Really like what Beard is doing. Solid D. Largest lead of the game was the final difference - good. Carr has gotta step it up though. Got driven back by their guard too many times and way too many - drive into the lane/pull up the dribble/have no plan/look for an out now he is stuck/try desperately to distribute. Looking forward to Disu. Good entertainment for $3.

Shit sorry I missed your post. We have exactly the same thoughts.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Carr didn't do anything spectacular tonight on offense but he was excellent defensively. He completely shut down the best player for Cal Baptist. Armstrong was 3/10 and had 7 turnovers mostly because of Carr. 

Beard said as much after the game. 

I get that. He’s been below average at best on offense this year which wasn’t what I was expecting. Having been a pg in a former life I am guessing he is overthinking things and just needs to let the game come to him. I’m not giving up on him yet.

24 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m going to get negged for this, but Carr is starting to cause some concern for me. I’d like to see Askew get a little more run.  But mostly overall my main takeaway after watching all of our games and a handful of other games is that we don’t have the athleticism to compete with the top 10 teams. Can’t wait to see Disu on the floor and it’s why we hired Beard. This basketball is so much better to watch than the shit Shaka put us through.

Carr is so much better than Askew. give it time.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Carr is so much better than Askew. give it time.

Eh, I know what he did previously. I’m not seeing it which is odd because he did it in the B10. It’s also really early in the season, maybe he has the flu. Or he’s just adjusting to what he is being asked to do like I said in my 2nd post that you likely didn’t see. I’m also not seeing it in Askew yet either but he definitely has more physical upside. But that’s probably for next year. I just want a few more minutes for him. Like you I don’t really care what this team does until about midway thru conference play.

my other concern and I’d like to hear your thoughts on this - we are not exactly athletically gifted. I’m not sure we are capable of defending and rebounding like Beard wants us to yet. We need the light to come on for Ramey, and he’s more than capable. Fuck, he was our best shooter last year and surly thought he was terrible.

9 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Eh, I know what he did previously. I’m not seeing it which is odd because he did it in the B10. It’s also really early in the season, maybe he has the flu. Or he’s just adjusting to what he is being asked to do like I said in my 2nd post that you likely didn’t see. I’m also not seeing it in Askew yet either but he definitely has more physical upside. But that’s probably for next year. I just want a few more minutes for him. Like you I don’t really care what this team does until about midway thru conference play.

my other concern and I’d like to hear your thoughts on this - we are not exactly athletically gifted. I’m not sure we are capable of defending and rebounding like Beard wants us to yet. We need the light to come on for Ramey, and he’s more than capable. Fuck, he was our best shooter last year and surly thought he was terrible.

i too would like for Askew to get more minutes. as for our athleticism, i think that we really need Disu to be healthy and playing at a high level for us to go as far as we all think we can go. i believe that he can take us over the hump in the size/rebounding category. plus he he can shoot threes and pull opposing centers away from the basket. 

that said, this is the best defense i every remember seeing Texas play through this point of the season. we're holding teams to 15 and 16 points in the first half, holding them to less than 50 for entire games; it's pretty ridiculous. plus, we've got to have more experience than any other team in America. come March, i feel fairly confident that our entire squad will understand what's needed to win, and that their collective experience will help make up for the lack of athleticism. look no further than Shaka Smart's last game as Texas HC to see that the team with the size and the athletes doesn't always dominate the glass.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

In totally unrelated news, South Austin's Mom was the recipient of her 1000th "Point" tonight.  No word yet on what precisely that means.  Ramey could not be reached after the game for comment as "holiday obligations" had him called to south side of Ben White immediately following the victory.

Fun fact, I saw some Surly regulars walking out of the FEC and yelled "Muledick!"  They responded, but the 3 people in my party were most confused.  

giphy.gif

SA's Mom is way past 1000, and Ramey always gotz comments...  😋

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So if I understood Lowell correctly, next week there will be a big pizza party on the south mall with beard and the team, followed by him leading the students on the walk to Gregory for the game?

Yes

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

all of that said i'd be lying if i hadn't had the same thought/worry- if we run into the wrong team, our lack of size and great athletes could cost us. 

2 things:

1, Beard has done just fine with teams I. The past that didn’t drop athleticism, I’m not worried 

2) it’s the nature of having an experienced team. Guys with high level athleticism go pro. Guys without play four or five years in college. 
if given the choice in college hoops trying to win in college give me the team of experienced guys that had to stay longer because they lacked athleticism all day long over the team that didn’t. I know you know this- just thought I’d say that out loud. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I know we haven’t been playing great competition but last three games we’ve held N Colorado, San Jose St and CA Baptist to under 17 points at half (15, 17 and 16, respectively). 

That’s impressive no matter the competition. And that’s how this team is going to win tougher games. Grind down our opposition with relentless defensive effort. And I fucking love it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2 things:

1, Beard has done just fine with teams I. The past that didn’t drop athleticism, I’m not worried 

2) it’s the nature of having an experienced team. Guys with high level athleticism go pro. Guys without play four or five years in college. 
if given the choice in college hoops trying to win in college give me the team of experienced guys that had to stay longer because they lacked athleticism all day long over the team that didn’t. I know you know this- just thought I’d say that out loud. 

Thinking over it Beard has had a decent amount of athleticism on his teams the past 4 years. 

Zhaire Smith

Jarret Culver

Tariq Owens

Terrance Shannon 

Jahmi'us Ramsey

Micah Peavy

Mac McClung 

Even Kevin Mccullar is a big, physically imposing wing.

Granted Beard's Tech team didn't have a bunch of front court athletes outside of Owens but they were plenty athletic on the wing. In all honesty this Texas team is probably the least athletic team he's had over the last 4 or 5 years. And given the athletes we've had in the front court over the past years the lack of athleticism on the front court is glaring. Of course it helps that these guys are actually good at basketball and hopefully the return of Disu will help remedy our lack of athleticism. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Lowell is a twitter generation announcer. Talks all about stats and trends but does next to no actual play-by-play. If you were listening without watching you'd have absolutely no idea what was happening. It's like listening to a podcast. "So and so is averaging 10.2 on the season" or some such crap. Any attempt at play-by-play has him describing something that happened several seconds ago. Listening to Craig Way (or another competent "in the moment" announcer) calling basketball is so night and day from Lowell's lazy jabbering. 

I will greatly miss all the home baseball games being on LHN.  But not basketball.  Lowell is horrible to listen to.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Thinking over it Beard has had a decent amount of athleticism on his teams the past 4 years. 

Zhaire Smith

Jarret Culver

Tariq Owens

Terrance Shannon 

Jahmi'us Ramsey

Micah Peavy

Mac McClung 

Granted Beard's Tech team didn't have a bunch of front court athletes outside of Owens but they were plenty athletic on the wing. In all honesty this Texas team is probably the least athletic team he's had over the last 4 or 5 years. And given the athletes we've had in the front court over the past years the lack of athleticism on the front court is glaring. Of course it helps that these guys are actually good at basketball and hopefully the return of Disu will help remedy our lack of athleticism. 

Yeah- you are right on the athleticism of the wings for him. I think of high level athleticism of guys going to be one and done as the bugs we’ve had under Shaka and that’s not where Tech had been (and how about at the point?  That seemed lacking as well for them but I can’t say that with certainty I suppose) but yeah/ my point was definitely directed at the idea of bogs that are good at basketball and not all the one and dimes from Turner on that haven’t really moved the needle in providing lots of success for Texas. 

Tariq Owens was a bit of an outlier for Beard because he doesn't like to go big. The no middle defense requires a lot of help defense and aggressive ball screen coverage. 

Beard would rather go smaller at the 5 with guys that can move on the perimeter/ball screen coverage vs guys that can sit in the paint and block shots. Disu is probably the best big in this scheme too. 

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Zhaire Smith

Jarret Culver

Tariq Owens

Terrance Shannon 

Jahmi'us Ramsey

Micah Peavy

Mac McClung 

I definitely agree with the wing part but not the bigs. In Beard's scheme, our bigs are athletic enough. 

The prototypical freak like Mo Bamba really isn't what Beard wants. Guys like Disu and Bishop aren't going to be doing freakish things at the rim defensively but they all move well in ball screen coverage. 

But now that I think it about Jericho Sims would have been a monster in this defensive system. 

Edited by texasstrong12