Arterio Morris

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe the details of the instagram post will change things but Texas had to know Morris was arrested for the restraining order violation. 

If they haven't already kicked him off the team I don't see that changing. Not supporting the decision but I have a hard time believing this is new information to Texas and Morris has been practicing with the team. All this going public might force a different decision. 

When you say “Texas” had to know, what does that mean? An assistant on the staff knew? Beard knew? Del Conte knew? Jay Hatrzell knew? James Milliken knew? Kevin Eltife knew? The compliance department knew?

Because now all of them know. Which changes things. Doesn’t mean he’s kicked off the team, but it absolutely makes it less likely he stays. Unless his side of the story is extraordinarily compelling, which I have a hard time buying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

When you say “Texas” had to know, what does that mean? An assistant on the staff knew? Beard knew? Del Conte knew? Jay Hatrzell knew? James Milliken knew? Kevin Eltife knew? The compliance department knew?

Because now all of them know. Which changes things. Doesn’t mean he’s kicked off the team, but it absolutely makes it less likely he stays. Unless his side of the story is extraordinarily compelling, which I have a hard time buying. 

Mostly referring to the basketball staff. I agree it makes it less likely Morris stays on the team but don't you find it difficult to believe Texas was completely out of the loop on the arrest?

Maybe all these details will change the decision if it reaches more important people but you have more faith in Texas kicking these type players off the team than I do. I have a hard time believing Beard and staff didn't have some knowledge of this issue before it going public. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mostly referring to the basketball staff. I agree it makes it less likely Morris stays on the team but don't you find it difficult to believe Texas was completely out of the loop on the arrest?

Maybe all these details will change the decision if it reaches more important people but you have more faith in Texas kicking these type players off the team than I do. I have a hard time believing Beard and staff didn't have some knowledge of this issue before it going public. 

Well, if he’s on the court for Texas during the season opener it’s going to suck a lot of joy out of this season for me. If Morris is a predator - and it sure looks like it to me - these are people who don’t change. The chances of him engaging in similar behavior in his next relationship is practically 100%. If he’s at Texas, there’s a good chance it’s another student. I don’t really care who it is. I’d prefer he doesn’t behave that way towards a woman again. But the powers that be have to consider the very real possibility they’re allowing that to occur if Morris remains with the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's possible that no one knew. It happened in Denton county and if no one notified UT it could have been kept in the dark. They aren't running constant background checks on every player. 

huh? the 2nd question you ask a signee and/or player when you call them up randomly is "have you been arrested, lately?".

Seriously though, it could have been kept dark until she went social...but my guess would be unlikely.

He needs someone to have a serious fish/sea talk with him along with all the other stuff.  then again...undefeated.

I don't care where it happened, a Texas recruit/commit/signee being arrested is going to be found out, if not by the staff, by the media or opposing fans.  If he was actually arrested, the staff knows about it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

huh? the 2nd question you ask a signee and/or player when you call them up randomly is "have you been arrested, lately?".

Seriously though, it could have been kept dark until she went social...but my guess would be unlikely.

He needs someone to have a serious fish/sea talk with him along with all the other stuff.  then again...undefeated.

Didn't it say the arrest was June 2nd? Morris came to Austin at the end of May. 

The arrest happened within days prior moving to Austin or days after moving to Austin. It's one thing to call a recruit and ask "have you been arrested" but this was right when summer workouts were starting. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I went back and looked at the timeline in the recruiting thread.

On May 30th, Morris said he was coming to Austin the following day on Instagram. So if the arrest happened on June 2nd it was 2 days after moving to Austin. 

She says in her Instagram story she told him she didn’t know that she wanted to keep seeing him while he was in college. The way she tells it, she knew she wanted to break up, but was trying to do a soft breakup. He knew what was up and immediately drove from Austin to her work and spent the next 3 days harassing her. 

I want to be clear this is not necessarily a factual account. This is what she posted on her Instagram. I’m not clear on when he was arrested or what for. I understand she put a restraining order on him. Is that why he was arrested? She’s also saying she didn’t press charges. I’m also unsure why she’s putting everything on blast now. It’s not like it’s a paragraph. She thought this out, tried to document everything. 

Honestly being arrested isn’t that disturbing to me. It’s not clear what the arrest was for. It’s the description of his other behavior. He certainly sounds like he was in deep. She says he bought her a diamond ring and asked her to marry him. According to her she said no but he went around saying they were engaged anyway. That’s actually not predatory behavior. Or at least, it’s incompetent predatory behavior. That’s more about someone who is delusionally in love. It doesn’t make anything he did acceptable. But maybe he did go absolutely bonkers for this chick and she wasn’t as into him, and it drove him a bit nuts. Not trying to defend the guy. He should have left her alone, full stop.

Well, we haven’t heard the end of this. I’m curious when we hear something from the UT side. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

She says in her Instagram story she told him she didn’t know that she wanted to keep seeing him while he was in college. The way she tells it, she knew she wanted to break up, but was trying to do a soft breakup. He knew what was up and immediately drove from Austin to her work and spent the next 3 days harassing her. 

It's very odd timing. Right when Morris gets to Austin he then starts harassing her again. 

I'm not saying she's fabricating the story but wouldn't Texas have team meetings and other stuff going on related to the basketball team? That's why I have a hard time believing Texas didn't know about this. Morris is on campus for 2 days and then he's gone for days? Surely that had to be out of the ordinary for the Texas staff or maybe nothing was going on that week with the basketball team or school. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, if he’s on the court for Texas during the season opener it’s going to suck a lot of joy out of this season for me. If Morris is a predator - and it sure looks like it to me - these are people who don’t change. The chances of him engaging in similar behavior in his next relationship is practically 100%. If he’s at Texas, there’s a good chance it’s another student. I don’t really care who it is. I’d prefer he doesn’t behave that way towards a woman again. But the powers that be have to consider the very real possibility they’re allowing that to occur if Morris remains with the team. 

Not condoning his action, but you can’t generalize here.

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I certainly can. Predatory/abusive men do not change. It’s not clear that’s what Morris is, but men who engage in predatory/abusive behavior will do so in every relationship.  The people who think it will be different with them, or they can change them, or it’ll be different this time after an incident and the predator comes back apologizing profusely, are kidding themselves. If they enter therapy it will be with the intention of getting their way, not correcting their behavior. I stand by that generalization. I’ve  seen the pattern way too many times with too many different people. 

I do not know this is the case with Arterio Morris. I do know there is a danger he will replicate this behavior in his next relationship. She didn’t want to be with him, and he handled that poorly. Of that there’s no doubt. 

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's very odd timing. Right when Morris gets to Austin he then starts harassing her again. 

I'm not saying she's fabricating the story but wouldn't Texas have team meetings and other stuff going on related to the basketball team? That's why I have a hard time believing Texas didn't know about this. Morris is on campus for 2 days and then he's gone for days? Surely that had to be out of the ordinary for the Texas staff or maybe nothing was going on that week with the basketball team or school. 

It’s not clear he started harassing her “again.”

It appears - according to her account - that he went off the deep end when she did her “soft” breakup, drove up from Austin, pestered her three days in a row at her place of work, and came into her home and put his hands on her. Didn’t hit her exactly, but certainly did things that could be classified as assault. Grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her around (on her feet apparently, not across the floor). Grabbed her by her clothes. Doesn’t say how he got there in the first place, but she doesn’t indicate it was breaking and entering. Which I don’t understand. I don’t understand why that wasn’t dramatized more. According to her narrative he’s just suddenly at the foot of her bed while she’s taking a nap, which is when the physical confrontation occurs.

She posted the clip on Instagram from her camera phone of him in handcuffs being put into the squad car. 

Just to be clear, this woman is 23 years old, has over 70k followers on Instagram, 175k followers on TikTok. She’s not some kind of wallflower. She’s not Arterio’s high school sweetheart exactly. It doesn’t justify anything Arterio did, but this woman doesn’t strike me as someone who is going to allow herself to be a victim. She didn’t want to be with Morris any more, and he didn’t handle that well. But she doesn’t indicate anywhere there was a pattern of physical abuse over the course of their relationship. Only that he would fly off the handle when he didn’t get his way. Which still may not be okay, but is certainly not illegal. 

None of this is to downplay her narrative or him being taken to jail from her house in handcuffs. This is simply what I’ve gathered reading her posts on her Instagram account. 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I have to agree with Pancho. I said earlier that this kind of behavior only gets worse, but that's if there is no intervention. This kind of behavior can be corrected because it is inherently learned behavior, but it takes a lot of work our society is generally not interested in engaging in. Don't write a kid off as a lost cause simply because he seemingly never had proper guidance as to how to handle personal relationships.

His alleged actions are bad, and if true he should face real consequences, but he is easily salvageable with the right role models in his life. You might not want him coming to Texas anymore (and I would feel the same way about a Tech player), but perhaps a way to keep him on board would be:

• Honor his scholarship but keep him off the roster and have him attend classes for a year
  • Mandate that he undergo counseling/therapy during his freshman year at school
  • Make his return to the team contingent on demonstrating personal growth, a stable state of mind, whatever

I'm just spitballing here and of course all of that would be dependent on the University's willingness to take some level of PR hit. I think the PR impact would be much lower (perhaps even negligible) in a scenario as I described above as opposed to letting him play next season.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I certainly can. Predatory/abusive men do not change. It’s not clear that’s what Morris is, but men who engage in predatory/abusive behavior will do so in every relationship.  The people who think it will be different with them, or they can change them, or it’ll be different this time after an incident and the predator comes back apologizing profusely, are kidding themselves. If they enter therapy it will be with the intention of getting their way, not correcting their behavior. I stand by that generalization. I’ve  seen the pattern way too many times with too many different people. 

I do not know this is the case with Arterio Morris. I do know there is a danger he will replicate this behavior in his next relationship. She didn’t want to be with him, and he handled that poorly. Of that there’s no doubt. 

No, this is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself. You don’t know that.  You’re assuming here, and that’s wrong to do. Statically evaluating anyone is just a shitty thing to do.

Next thing you know, you’ll be on here saying your Black friend in high school who was fast as hell is still fast as hell at the age of 55 because Black people being fast has hell never changes. 

I was also gonna note that Beard has kicked players off teams for much less than this. Deshawn Corprew (who was likely going to be a starter the next season) got permanently kicked off the team at Tech for punching someone at a night club. I doubt his standards have relaxed very much if at all.

Just now, Pancho said:

No, this is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself. You don’t know that.  You’re assuming here, and that’s wrong to do. Statically evaluating anyone is just a shitty thing to do.

Next thing you know, you’ll be on here saying ALL Black people run fast.  Sure, we know some of them/us do, but not all of them/us do. 

It’s more like saying if you’re a narcissist you can learn to think less selfishly, or if you’re a psychopath you can learn to feel empathy. 

Which isn’t true, btw  

it’s not a coincidence those two diagnoses are intrinsically intertwined with predator/abusers. They inherently see nothing wrong with their behavior, which is why it’s impossible for them to change.

It’s not remotely similar to race  

What is dangerous, and I’ve been guilty in this thread - which, shame on me - is labeling someone with psychological characteristics, or even suggesting they possess them, when all I’ve read is an Instagram account written by one of the parties. THAT part is highly irresponsible of me. But I do think of that as an important part of the discussion . I feel I could have been more measured in some of my earliest posts about the subject.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If he was a white 3 star this wouldn't be a discussion. Let's not pretend this is about race. 

I didn’t think Pancho was making it about race. He was talking about the dangers of generalizations and made his example about race. Possibly could have avoided that - plenty of generalizations out there that don’t involve race - but I understood where he was coming from. Or, I think I do. 

52 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

What is dangerous, and I’ve been guilty in this thread - which, shame on me - is labeling someone with psychological characteristics, or even suggesting they possess them, when all I’ve read is an Instagram account written by one of the parties. THAT part is highly irresponsible of me. But I do think of that as an important part of the discussion .

Eh, you said "IF he is a predator" and then went on to characterize predators.  I don't think you went over the line.

Seems like most of us are in that gray area of wanting to help the kid if he has a problem but not wanting to enable him or damage the program.  As is usually the case in real adult life, the decisions are not clear cut, and I wouldn't particularly want to be one of the guys making these decisions.

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

June 2 in Frisco

Has been with the team and was at the Q2 thing earlier this week

He gotta go

If it was a done deal he’d be gone already. If they’re not going to kick him off the team, I want to at least see a suspension. I’m going to be bothered no matter what, but I’ll really be bothered if he’s on the court for the first game. Even if you’re someone bending over backwards to defend Morris, this was exceptionally poor judgment. Not that I haven’t been guilty of huge lapses myself, but none of them involved physical coercion of a female. 

At least it’s answered why it wasn’t breaking and entering. Not the greatest judgement of Caden Barnes’ sister to let him in, either. But I don’t know the dynamics involved. 

Part of the problem nowadays is we draw conclusions on stuff like this solely based on social media. Maybe Morris needs to be kicked off the team and get his life together, or maybe there is more to the story. Regardless, title IX doing an investigation is the correct next step. Kicking someone off the team immediately after an Instagram post is reckless. If the investigation shows he is guilty of everything she said and accused him of, then by all means get rid of him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kicking someone off the team immediately after an Instagram post is reckless.

I mean it isn't just an instagram post - there was tangible legal shit involved. 

I try and not butt in when it comes to shit like this because I'm mainly a fan of Texas athletics and care less about the integrity of the institution as a whole (less than actual grads do at least). My stance here is to defer to whatever Beard and co. decide is appropriate. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Part of the problem nowadays is we draw conclusions on stuff like this solely based on social media. Maybe Morris needs to be kicked off the team and get his life together, or maybe there is more to the story. Regardless, title IX doing an investigation is the correct next step. Kicking someone off the team immediately after an Instagram post is reckless. If the investigation shows he is guilty of everything she said and accused him of, then by all means get rid of him.

When you envision this “investigation” by the crack shot team in the Title IX office, what does it look like exactly? Is someone who looks like Mark Harmon involved? David Caruso’s shades? 

Here’s how it will play out in all likelihood. They’ll wait to see if there are any criminal charges brought in front of a court, which by the look of things seems highly unlikely. They’ll ask Morris some questions, which I’d imagine he’ll be coached on the answers. If there’s no criminal charges brought forth, Caden May/Caden Barnes doesn’t drop some more bombshells or otherwise bring more attention to this, and Morris stays well away from her in real life and social media, not a whole lot is going to be done. I doubt seriously they even ask Caden Barnes any questions since she’s not a student, and they can’t exactly subpoena her to ask her questions under oath anyway. 

They don’t go through the motions of an investigation if it’s serious enough. He’d simply be off the team, or at least be suspended until the investigation can be completed. What’s happening right now is standard CYA stuff. 

In particular Beard still wants him on the team. Beard doesn’t have to wait for Title IX compliance to finish their investigation. He’s going to wait until everything is properly documented so he has some cover. The key element is the Frisco court system and Caden Barnes. Tough for them to prosecute if she doesn’t cooperate. If they don’t prosecute then it’s just some Instagram posts, no matter how bad they make Morris look. It’s all one sided. Then it becomes a judgement call. There’s no way the UT administration forces Beard’s hand on a judgement call. 

It’s obvious plenty of people are taking it seriously. But it’s also obvious there are a lot of people trying to figure out a way to keep him on the team. 

22 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Tech fans really have issues on Twitter. Off it to but I have to read the Twitter stuff. 

I’m not usually observant about these kinds of things, but I did pick up a smidgen of hostility during the two games against Tech this past year.

I’m sure it will all be blown over this coming season. 

BTW, if Morris does play for Texas he’s going to get some practice in handling hostile crowds. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

When you envision this “investigation” by the crack shot team in the Title IX office, what does it look like exactly? Is someone who looks like Mark Harmon involved? David Caruso’s shades? 

Here’s how it will play out in all likelihood. They’ll wait to see if there are any criminal charges brought in front of a court, which by the look of things seems highly unlikely. They’ll ask Morris some questions, which I’d imagine he’ll be coached on the answers. If there’s no criminal charges brought forth, Caden May/Caden Barnes doesn’t drop some more bombshells or otherwise bring more attention to this, and Morris stays well away from her in real life and social media, not a whole lot is going to be done. I doubt seriously they even ask Caden Barnes any questions since she’s not a student, and they can’t exactly subpoena her to ask her questions under oath anyway. 

They don’t go through the motions of an investigation if it’s serious enough. He’d simply be off the team, or at least be suspended until the investigation can be completed. What’s happening right now is standard CYA stuff. 

In particular Beard still wants him on the team. Beard doesn’t have to wait for Title IX compliance to finish their investigation. He’s going to wait until everything is properly documented so he has some cover. The key element is the Frisco court system and Caden Barnes. Tough for them to prosecute if she doesn’t cooperate. If they don’t prosecute then it’s just some Instagram posts, no matter how bad they make Morris look. It’s all one sided. Then it becomes a judgement call. There’s no way the UT administration forces Beard’s hand on a judgement call. 

It’s obvious plenty of people are taking it seriously. But it’s also obvious there are a lot of people trying to figure out a way to keep him on the team. 

All fair. I guess we will see. Why would she post all that stuff on Instagram if she didn’t want to press charges and cooperate? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

24 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Then Beard better pray Morris doesn't pull this same kind of bullshit with a female student on campus. I don't pretend to know what went down, but that insta post with the gun is indicative of some troubling behavior. If I was coach, I would need some serious convincing that its not what it appears.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

All fair. I guess we will see. Why would she post all that stuff on Instagram if she didn’t want to press charges and cooperate? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

She has 175k followers on Tik Tok, and 75k followers on Instagram. It’s pretty easy for me to see why she’d post it. I’m not talking nefarious, manipulative Amber Heard style crap, either. For people that engage heavily on social media to a pretty sizable number of people, there’s a very strange connection to the audience. I would classify it as unhealthy, but it’s probably more accurate to call it the new normal. 

As she describes, Morris’s Mom and coach, both of whom she has a great deal of respect for - in her words - talked her out of pressing charges and posting about it on social media. 

Then she stews about it. Probably sees him post some stuff blowing it off, or acting like nothing happened. At one point she said she would have dropped the protective order if he’d have just apologized. Starts feeling like he got away with something. Is likely traumatized about the incident on some level. So after a month she vomits these series of posts that successfully make Morris look like a piece of shit. He certainly does in my eyes. 

But you look at her posts, and it’s all about who will her next boyfriend be and what they’ll do together, posing in provocative ways. I haven’t looked at it lately. This is simply the couple of days after her original series of posts. 

To be honest, she’s not someone 18 year olds should be seriously dating in the first place (she’s 23). There’s no way he has enough perspective to handle any of those dynamics. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Burying people on social media is how a lot of Gen Z “shares their voice” or “speaks their truth”.  It’s their reality.  Once it’s out there, you can’t really remove it. If she decides that’s it for her, i.e. she doesn’t want to hold him accountable further via the criminal justice system, that’s also her choice.  That’s also not an easy thing to do for anyone, because she’ll likely be subject to harassment and criticism.  

All generations are capable of shitposting on social media, though - see the Washington Post newsroom.

If Morris has done one thing right here it’s not retaliating on social media.  At least that we’re aware of.

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Then Beard better pray Morris doesn't pull this same kind of bullshit with a female student on campus. I don't pretend to know what went down, but that insta post with the gun is some troubling behavior. If I was coach, I would need some serious convincing that its not what it appears.

That’s exactly the risk the University will absorb.  If he remains on the team and does it again, oh boy.

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Then Beard better pray Morris doesn't pull this same kind of bullshit with a female student on campus. I don't pretend to know what went down, but that insta post with the gun is some troubling behavior. If I was coach, I would need some serious convincing that its not what it appears.

I’m with you 100%. Lots of troubling behavior. Driving up to Dallas from Austin and stalking her at work 3 nights in a row. Stealing her car keys and throwing them somewhere they couldn’t be found when it’s late at night. Entering her home and waking her up by grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her out of bed. Grabbing her by her sports bra hard enough to cause a 3” abrasion. And then her Mom and coach trying to make sure he’s not held accountable for it. 

And yeah. That pic of the hand gun with the caption “You done?” was the most chilling of them all. 

11 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

That’s exactly the risk the University will absorb.  If he remains on the team and does it again, oh boy.

If its Beard's call, then it will be Beard's job on the line so he better be comfortable that Morris won't habitually treat women in this fashion. Or we just change our name to Baylor University at Austin. 

On 7/13/2022 at 6:44 PM, Pancho said:

Next thing you know, you’ll be on here saying your Black friend in high school who was fast as hell is still fast as hell at the age of 55 because Black people being fast has hell never changes. 

no one cares that he is black

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean we’re not even close to Baylor who covered stuff up. If we do that I’ll be surprised. Investigate first then come down with a penalty.

My point wasn't to imply that we are covering anything up. It was just a comment that if Morris stays on the team AND if there is another incident, then we are starting to drift into Baylor territory, because this is one of the few areas where I would draw a pretty firm one strike and you are out policy. This type of issue is obviously a lot more serious than smoking weed, cheating on a test, drunken fights etc..

Admittedly, that's a lot of "ifs" and I really know fuck all about what actually happened. Its a risk keeping these kind of kids around, but Beard gets paid millions to make these kind of calls and I doubt he gives one fuck about what I think. 

On 7/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, SL Xpress said:

It’s more like saying if you’re a narcissist you can learn to think less selfishly, or if you’re a psychopath you can learn to feel empathy. 

Which isn’t true, btw  

it’s not a coincidence those two diagnoses are intrinsically intertwined with predator/abusers. They inherently see nothing wrong with their behavior, which is why it’s impossible for them to change.

It’s not remotely similar to race  

What is dangerous, and I’ve been guilty in this thread - which, shame on me - is labeling someone with psychological characteristics, or even suggesting they possess them, when all I’ve read is an Instagram account written by one of the parties. THAT part is highly irresponsible of me. But I do think of that as an important part of the discussion . I feel I could have been more measured in some of my earliest posts about the subject.

I never said it was about race. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Then Beard better pray Morris doesn't pull this same kind of bullshit with a female student on campus. I don't pretend to know what went down, but that insta post with the gun is indicative of some troubling behavior. If I was coach, I would need some serious convincing that its not what it appears.

My main concern (basketball COMPLETELY aside as the kid's well being is what's most important) is that, if the allegations are true, he is VERY obviously exhibiting some proto-predator behavior and he needs good role models and counseling, full stop. He's got the former in the form of his coaches, teammates, and hopefully some other adults in his life, and I hope he gets the latter.

I apologize to everyone for having a fair bit to say about this as a Tech fan, but I assure you my interest lies entirely outside of any basketball concerns, the kid's well being is what's important. I worked in a victim assistance coordinator office for several years when I was young (not to mention one of my dearest family members losing her life thanks to her violent predator ex-husband), and have seen this kind of behavior a LOT. It always ends one of two ways: the kid gets proper guidance/support and moves on with his life, or something bad for everyone happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

Kid has gotta get his head on straight.  And he probably is going to be doing it in Big Spring or Kilgore for at least a season.  

An 18 year old, or younger, dealing with a grown woman is bound to end badly.  There's something in there that's undefeated and is so for a reason.  Don't challenge it

21 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Kid has gotta get his head on straight.  And he probably is going to be doing it in Big Spring or Kilgore for at least a season.  

If Morris gets in trouble again. 

It's obvious he's not going anywhere as they haven't even suspended him and they likely knew of his arrest prior to this becoming public knowledge. Things can always change but Texas hasn't shown anything that indicates they're going to move on from Morris. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

14 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

An 18 year old, or younger, dealing with a grown woman is bound to end badly.  There's something in there that's undefeated and is so for a reason.  Don't challenge it

I don’t see that happening, but we’ll see. There aren’t many dynamics remaining that would get him kicked off the team if he hasn’t been already. Not unless the Caden Barnes gal chooses to escalate in an unexpected way, or Morris engages her on or offline in some kind of stupid manner. Well, engaging her in any way, shape or form would classify as stupid.

A few people have referred to the Title IX compliance doing an investigation, but because it’s not a fellow student it’s going to be limited in scope. Then it’s a matter of the Frisco district attorney’s office and how they want to move forward. I’d bet a lot of money Caden Barnes doesn’t press charges and it’s dismissed, which is a pretty routine outcome for domestic violence cases. If something dramatic were going to happen to Morris in terms of UT dismissing him from the team or the university, it would have happened already.

But yeah, a ridiculously hot 23 year old who thrives on attention, obviously craves living the big life, and has a sizable social media presence - that’s a different animal right there for nearly any 18 year old. Doesn’t condone his actions, some of which are downright disturbing, but as you say, that’s not going to end well. 

“It’s disturbing that this case is being tried on social media without any regard for the facts,” Morris’ attorney Justin Moore told the American-Statesman. “We look forward to dispelling all rumors and defending any allegation against Arterio in a court of law.

“The right to due process is an important function in American society,” he added, “and we applaud the University of Texas for not rushing to judgement before Arterio has had the ability to fully defend himself.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/mens-basketball/2022/07/15/texas-basketballs-arterio-morris-arrested-in-june-on-assault-charge/65372799007/

Moore is a SMU Law grad,  only 9 years experience.

Refresh my memory,  have DWI's, fights, etc.,  previously resulted in a temporary suspension pending investigation ? 

I'm a little uncomfortable with binary psychological diagnoses that anyone is a predator or otherwise incapable of change, especially from armchair psychologists, with all due respect to SLX. 

It's like saying alkies lack willpower to quit. 

If nothing else we may lack the tools to treat successfully, or few undergo the treatment,or few succeed with the treatment. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

This will never go to court. What percentage of class A misdemeanors are resolved out of court? I know it's high.

If the social media evidence was sufficient for dismissal why wouldn't Morris already be suspended? I guess new evidence could become public but if there is no serious legal punishment I highly doubt Morris is going anywhere.