Arterio Morris

shadow_operative

50 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"obey the law"? huh? is that the issue for you here? that he's not "obeying the law"?  not that he's driving 3+ hours to stalk and threaten his gf, not him flashing a piece and threatening her on snapchat- your issue is that the black kid doesn't obey the thin blue line. with all due respect, i'd like for this forum to cut bait with posters like you. 

edit: "if we can't get him to obey the law." wow. i'm still shaking my head over this line of thinking. like, tell me this is you without telling me this is you:

544B4BA6-2C72-4E42-8F51-D516A81C1396.jpeg

I've come around from my initial impression. I'd still prefer in some ways if Texas and Morris parted ways, but it's clear to me that's not going to happen. That said, Caden Barnes/May is 23, working somewhere that she gets off work at 2am (likely a nightclub). She has a substantial social media presence. It's not superstar status, but it's not 10k or so, either. 75k on instagram and 175k on Tik Tok. Based on her posts when she dropped all of this, she's certainly moved on from him pretty easily. What Morris did is not okay, but her sister let him into the townhome. He yanked her out of bed by the wrist and pulled her sports bra hard enough to leave an abrasion. Absolutely worthy of a misdemeanor assault charge, but not enough to be consigned to the flames of hell for eternity as long as he realizes it's wrong and doesn't do it again. She's already said she would have removed the restraining order she filed after this incident if he apologized. The likelihood she presses charges is virtually nil. He apparently has a kick ass, ambitious young former assistant district attorney prosecutor representing him. 

As I posted in one of my Hamlet soliloquy equivalents, he seems more like an 18 year old out of his depths than a serial predator going after a young girl he's made completely dependent on him. The most damning thing against him is sending her the text with the gun with the caption, "You done?" At least from my perspective. Even if that's not out of place in Dallas Kimball circles, it still doesn't make it anywhere close to okay. My big thing is for him to not play the first game. But I feel pretty confident we'll see Morris on the court for Texas this year. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid, and lets this run its course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

LOL, ya you have issues dude.  Yes, I'm pretty sure that when the AD comes to a decision that following the law will be their criteria.  They won't be examining who said what on snap chat.

When the charge is a misdemeanor assault charge and it’s dropped, I’m sure that using the criteria of following the law won’t really be enough to kick the kid out of school. 

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so I don't know the facts. What I do know is that someone better get to this kid and quick. This time next year, some team will probably be throwing millions at this kid, and he better have his head on straight. 

If the best result would be to keep him on the team, do it. If the best thing is something else do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so I don't know the facts. What I do know is that someone better get to this kid and quick. This time next year, some team will probably be throwing millions at this kid, and he better have his head on straight. 

If the best result would be to keep him on the team, do it. If the best thing is something else do that.

I don’t think there’s any way to know what the best thing to do is with many of your choices except maybe with the benefit of hindsight. We’re all just doing the best we can in many ways. He’s got a ways to go before he’s getting millions thrown at him. Plenty of prospects even more NBA ready than him that don’t make it. 

For me, I’m just guessing what I think is going to happen and how I feel about it. We’ll just have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, sportsbay said:

LOL, ya you have issues dude.  Yes, I'm pretty sure that when the AD comes to a decision that following the law will be their criteria.  They won't be examining who said what on snap chat.

if "not obeying the law" we're grounds for dismissal from a major collegiate athletics team, then major collegiate athletics wouldn't exist. of everything that has come from this issue, arterio morris "not obeying the law" is not even anywhere near the list of things that are disturbing about his behavior. your big takeaway from all of this being that we can't have basketball players who don't respect the law is a dead giveaway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Daily Texan posted up an article about Morris’s arrest a few days ago.

https://thedailytexan.com/2022/07/28/incoming-mens-basketball-freshman-arterio-morris-arrested-for-assault/

It has a few more details from the police report that the AAS article didn’t. 

Also, it says Caden Barnes has deleted her Instagram post about the incident, which is another sign to me this isn’t going anywhere. And there’s an official statement Morris is not suspended from the team, although as we’ve noticed, he’s not exactly being featured on social media since this came out, either. 

Gerry said it's not likely he gets the boot. Hopefully, he gets anger management counseling and he can move on. He wasn't likely to start, but this should be the death knell on it.

Starting 5 of Hunter, Carr, Rice/Mitchell, Allen, and Bishop.

Disu, Morris, Rice/Mitchell, and Cunningham off the bench.

Brumbaugh and Anamekwe get development minutes.

Disu is such a huge wildcard. if we get the Disu who played at Vandy that is a huge addition to the team. if we actually get an improved version of the Disu from Vandy then we've just added an all conference level player who can play both inside and out, who can block shots and rebound, and who can hit threes at a very respectable clip. i will not be surprised at all if he's getting 28+ mpg come march, as one of 6-7 guys who gets heavy rotation. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said it's not likely he gets the boot. Hopefully, he gets anger management counseling and he can move on. He wasn't likely to start, but this should be the death knell on it.

Starting 5 of Hunter, Carr, Rice/Mitchell, Allen, and Bishop.

Disu, Morris, Rice/Mitchell, and Cunningham off the bench.

Brumbaugh and Anamekwe get development minutes.

Once Hunter was signed out of the portal Morris's chances of starting for the season opener went to zero. I'm hoping he doesn't play at all in the season opener, to be honest.

I don't think anyone is a sacred cow for the end of season lineup. Not even Carr, Allen, and Bishop. And Mitchell is practically guaranteed to be a starter at some point, because he has so much more talent than anyone else and he loves playing defense. But yeah, that seems like a very non controversial take on the opening game. I wish it was tomorrow.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't think anyone is a sacred cow for the end of season lineup. Not even Carr, Allen, and Bishop. And Mitchell is practically guaranteed to be a starter at some point, because he has so much more talent than anyone else and he loves playing defense. But yeah, that seems like a very non controversial take on the opening game. I wish it was tomorrow.

Timmy is so competitive and such a worker, coming off the bench would kill him.

Of the recruit highlight reels I've seen the past few years for Texas commits, Mitchell's has impressed me the most. He plays well with contact, goes up strong and is able to finish despite not being all that bulky. And then there's the defensive side, as you noted.

It might take a two or three months for the squad to round into form, but they should be super dangerous come tourney time.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meh. If Dillon Mitchell isn't one of our 5 best players by the end of the season something has gone wrong along the way. 

I feel like I’m on 60 Minutes and some of my interview was left on the floor in the editing room. 

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like I’m on 60 Minutes and some of my interview was left on the floor in the editing room. 

Then say "except for Mitchell". I'm not misrepresenting what you said. If that isn't what you meant then phrase it differently next time. 

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Timmy is so competitive and such a worker, coming off the bench would kill him.

Of the recruit highlight reels I've seen the past few years for Texas commits, Mitchell's has impressed me the most. He plays well with contact, goes up strong and is able to finish despite not being all that bulky. And then there's the defensive side, as you noted.

It might take a two or three months for the squad to round into form, but they should be super dangerous come tourney time.

I’m not saying what will happen. There’s just not going to be any sacred cows. It’s hard for me to fathom Allen coming off the bench. He does so many things well. He initiates. He’s a playmaker for his teammates. He’s terrific on the ball and off. He’s a fierce rebounder. He defends all over the floor. About his only weakness is 3 point shooting. 

But if the team is better off with a different starting five and he gives the squad a huge lift as the 6th man, then it’s obvious to me Beard isn’t afraid to use him in that role. That’s all I mean. Beard isn’t going to be locked in on a player because of history or recruit ranking. You’re either helping the team win or someone else is better. I honestly think that’s his only sacred cow. And yeah, you and I see Mitchell similarly. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then say "except for Mitchell". I'm not misrepresenting what you said. If that isn't what you meant then phrase it differently next time. 

But I don’t mean “except for Mitchell.” 

If another player helps the team win in the starting lineup better than Mitchell, Mitchell is not going to be in the starting lineup. But this was literally my next sentence:

“And Mitchell is practically guaranteed to be a starter at some point, because he has so much more talent than anyone else and he loves playing defense.”

The next sentence. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But I don’t mean “except for Mitchell.” 

If another player helps the team win in the starting lineup better than Mitchell, Mitchell is not going to be in the starting lineup. But this was literally my next sentence:

“And Mitchell is practically guaranteed to be a starter at some point, because he has so much more talent than anyone else and he loves playing defense.”

The next sentence. 

Yeah dude - I read your fucking comment. Thanks. 

We're talking past each other. I understand what "sacred cow" means. But that just isn't how college basketball functions under competent head coaches. My point is that if Mitchell isn't a lock for the starting 5 by the end of the season then he's either gotten injured or is disappointing beyond measure.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah dude - I read your fucking comment. Thanks. 

We're talking past each other. I understand what "sacred cow" means. But that just isn't how college basketball functions under competent head coaches. My point is that if Mitchell isn't a lock for the starting 5 by the end of the season then he's either gotten injured or is disappointing beyond measure.

But he won’t be in the starting lineup because Beard is concerned about how it would look. Top 10 recruits are top 10 recruits for a reason, but they don’t all become spectacular in year one. That said, I fully expect him to be in the starting lineup at the end of the year. As I stated.

As far as talking past each other, you could have simply not taken the quote out of context, and included the next sentence.

I’ll say this. If Beard had taken Keyonte George, another top 10 guy, there was potential for an issue, because the kid is a black hole and he doesn’t like playing defense. I’m not saying I think he’ll be a bust for Baylor, but Drew has his work cut out for him getting George to play within the team concept. 

On 7/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, hookemATL said:

True or false - he posted a threat to this woman depicting himself holding a gun?

Obviously the answer is true and that's my biggest problem out of everything he did. Text a picture like to one of your local cops and see what happens

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

Obviously the answer is true and that's my biggest problem out of everything he did. Text a picture like to one of your local cops and see what happens

We don't "know" that it was a picture of him holding a gun. We only know that it was a picture of someone holding a gun. But I'm getting picky in a way that's only appropriate when it comes to legal proceedings. First of all, my guess is that it was him holding the gun. Second, the implied threat is still scary regardless. 

But according to the Daily Texan article, she's deleted her instagram post on the subject, so it's no longer out there. Doesn't make it okay, but it's not visible any more, either. 

• 1 year later...

Kansas guard Arterio Morris ends assault case in Texas with plea deal

DENTON, Texas (AP) — Kansas guard Arterio Morris entered a plea deal to end a misdemeanor assault case against him in Texas, canceling a trial scheduled for October, his attorney said Thursday.

Morris was originally charged with a Class A misdemeanor on allegations he assaulted an ex-girlfriend in the Dallas area in June 2022, shortly before he enrolled at the University of Texas. Morris transferred to Kansas after the 2022-2023 season.

The initial charge could have carried up to a year in jail. After several trial delays, Morris entered a nolo contendere plea, also known as a no contest plea, to a Class C assault misdemeanor and must pay a $362 fine, Morris’ attorney, Justin Moore, said. The plea allows a defendant to accept consequences of the charge without admitting guilt.

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No shot. A guy that's already beat up his GF and is accused of rape is too much baggage even for KU. 

This is why I think he suddenly took a quick plea deal on the abuse case.  Get one of the cases finished so that there are not two pending cases against him.  He’s likely hoping he can skate by again with only one pending case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

This is why I think he suddenly took a quick plea deal on the abuse case.  Get one of the cases finished so that there are not two pending cases against him.  He’s likely hoping he can skate by again with only one pending case.

He could be innocent on the second case for all we know.  

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

He could be innocent on the second case for all we know.  

I don't believe he has earned the benefit of the doubt there. To settle one and then immediately the next day there's another? I would think most coaches don't have time for that.

Kansas and Self are pretty shameless if they keep him around, and deserve what they inevitably get if they really wanna mess around with a guy like this. Embarassing really.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, MirrOlure said:

“Golden Goose?” He’s a marginally decent college basketball player. Probably slightly above average on the prison circuit. Guess we’ll find out. Fuck him.

The golden goose in this metaphor is continuing to be able to do the thing he does best, the thing that made Texas and Kansas want him. This most recent rape charge obliterates opportunities for major college exposure, NIL, and any NBA dreams he harbored. It’s irrelevant whether you thought he was a good player.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

He’s a KU basketball player. They should be swimming in consensual and willing partners. Fucked up power play to go the rape route but unsurprising for someone who hits women 

As always, people dont rape people due to lack of ability to get any. The raping is about getting off on overpowering and humiliating/controlling someone else.

This guy is a downright scary individual imo with his record. I think we all owe BWG an apology.