Brian Kelly to L$U

Fug

11 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

yeah…but we got 3 skins in the past 20 years.  

i’m cool with my optimism.  

This is when your optimism should be highest so I understand. But how were the previous 45 years? Ask a Dallas Cowboys fan how quickly winning becomes ancient history. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Again, enjoy this precious time in sports fandom when the future is bright with dreams of dynasty and no hint of turmoil. I know I did eleven months ago, but alas, the candle was snuffed by the end of October. May yours last a little longer.

7 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This is when your optimism should be highest so I understand. But how were the previous 45 years? Ask a Dallas Cowboys fan how quickly winning becomes ancient history. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Again, enjoy this precious time in sports fandom when the future is bright with dreams of dynasty and no hint of turmoil. I know I did eleven months ago, but alas, the candle was snuffed by the end of October. May yours last a little longer.

well half of those years were pretty fucking good, so…

and sorry, but we ain’t y’all.  did you miss the fact that 2 of our 3 skins were brought about by two legally regarded coaches?

and no offense but Kelly ain’t Sarkisian.  their respective accomplishments and records should’ve clued you in on that. 

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Like 3

and sorry, but we ain’t y’all.  did you miss the fact that 2 of our 3 skins were brought about by two legally regarded coaches?
and no offense but Kelly ain’t Sarkisian.  their respective accomplishments and records should’ve clued you in on that. 
I think we're seeing this place at peak cynicism.

Oh yeah, well when was the last time he won a conference championship? ;) 

Seriously though, he's 6-5 in Bowls and 0-2 in CFP games. That's when you play equal or better teams and coaching matters. That's his history. And y'all keep harping on the fact that Lester and Cookie Monster did it, but that was with Saban's seniors and then the Brady/Burrows rent-a-year. I don't see anything that says Kelly's success in BR is a no-brainer. Tell me who an SEC footprint momma is going to favor, that clipped-talking dick from the Rust Belt or one of the dozen coaches that knows the difference between Crystal and Cackalacky hot sauce?

Ooooh, you may want to walk back the significance of bowl wins/records.

You may be right about the cfp record but at least he had them there.

His body of work is well established, he might not be the perfect fit, but I think he's the best "get" for LSU.

And when those mammas see purple and gold and $$ the coaches are interchangeable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

yeah…but we got 3 skins in the past 20 years.  

i’m cool with my optimism.  

Yeah, Kyrie has scoreboard on most of us. And while we beat them on the field this year, their fans drank the Rose Bowl dry (in most stands), so they won the experience.  And honestly, they were pretty good visitors, and we’ve had most all of the big programs (I’d honestly rank Bama fans #1, after we beat #3 Tide).  The worst?  Our own Oregon Ducks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Oh yeah, well when was the last time he won a conference championship? ;) 

Seriously though, he's 6-5 in Bowls and 0-2 in CFP playoff games. That's when you play equal or better teams and coaching matters. That's his history. And y'all keep harping on the fact that Lester and Cookie Monster did it, but that was with Saban's seniors and then the Brady/Burrows rent-a-year. I don't see anything that says Kelly's success in BR is a no-brainer. Tell me who an SEC footprint momma is going to favor, that clipped-talking dick from the Rust Belt or one of the dozen coaches that knows the difference between Crystal and Cackalacky hot sauce?

What coaches have good records in the cfb playoffs not named Saban, Dabo, Urban? How many NC contending programs hired better coaches in the past couple of offseasons? If you don't have Saban, Meyer, or Dabo chances are you're going to have to be ok with going 10-2 or 9-3 often and hope you have a breakout year every decade. Thats the reality for nearly every program including UT, UF, LSU, USC, Michigan,OU, etc

Edited by Bodhi

8 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Kelly is a do it my way kinda guy.  If everything is done by the book then you win a lot of games.  If the winds change then you will repeatedly hear about a failure of execution.

I actually can't think of a worse cultural fit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kelly is a do it my way kinda guy.  If everything is done by the book then you win a lot of games.  If the winds change then you will repeatedly hear about a failure of execution.

Gee, that sounds a lot like Saban's system.

We shall see, thats why they play the games.

12 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

That's still a better outcome than the last time the winds changed for Kelly and he killed a student videographer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, G650 said:

I really find this take bizarre. Kelly and Saban are such different people they may as well be a different species.

Well, one micro-manager does dictate to his hair stylist. 

Otherwise they are both off-putting CEO robo-coaches.  I'm not saying BK would have the same results with Bama's 5 star army, but he would have a lot of wins.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, Kyrie has scoreboard on most of us. And while we beat them on the field this year, their fans drank the Rose Bowl dry (in most stands), so they won the experience.  And honestly, they were pretty good visitors, and we’ve had most all of the big programs (I’d honestly rank Bama fans #1, after we beat #3 Tide).  The worst?  Our own Oregon Ducks.

I lived in Seattle for a while and quickly realized that Oregon fans suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:03 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

A championship is a championship, but that 2007 LSU team w/ Les Miles lost to Kentucky and Arkansas in the regular season. One of the trashier NCs I can remember. 

To their credit, the very best LSU fans took very little pleasure from that 2007 NC. A buddy of mine is as Tigah as they get and he didn't even have a party for the game and shrugged off the win as something like an old-fashioned tie. 

Re "culture," not all Yankees are created alike. There are numerous breeds of Yankees. Les Miles is a Pennsyltucky hilbilly type. That type is common from central PA west through Ohio, Indiana, Illinoiis and up into Michigan. Only their fucked-up vowels and shitty taste in food differentiates them from Southern rednecks. 

People think Saban is from Ohio, but he is from small-town West Virginia. He is also an "ethnic" -- Croatian. I've spent some time in his hometown and it is not Yankee by any means, though that part of West Virginia has lots of Italians, Poles and Slavs like Saban. If he were a Yankee he'd be in that Ditka / Namath group, but he's not. And he voids out an concept of culture fit through just being he who he is.

Now Kelly is from a well-known archetype -- suburban Bahhston Shanty Irish. Famous for drunkenness and fighting and raging out. Also, many are teetotallers who also fight and rage out. They lack Southern-style social graces. I guess he is what people call a Masshole these days -- my definition of that term was that it was for the yacht club set up there and he is not that. 

I get the feeling LSU's bigwigs want a stern taskmaster to whip their athletes back into shape and get them back towing the line so they hired this drill sergeant. It is not going to work.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Re "culture," not all Yankees are created alike. There are numerous breeds of Yankees. Les Miles is a Pennsyltucky hilbilly type. That type is common from central PA west through Ohio, Indiana, Illinoiis and up into Michigan. Only their fucked-up vowels and shitty taste in food differentiates them from Southern rednecks. 

People think Saban is from Ohio, but he is from small-town West Virginia. He is also an "ethnic" -- Croatian. I've spent some time in his hometown and it is not Yankee by any means, though that part of West Virginia has lots of Italians, Poles and Slavs like Saban. If he were a Yankee he'd be in that Ditka / Namath group, but he's not. And he voids out an concept of culture fit through just being he who he is.

Now Kelly is from a well-known archetype -- suburban Bahhston Shanty Irish. Famous for drunkenness and fighting and raging out. Also, many are teetotallers who also fight and rage out. They lack Southern-style social graces. I guess he is what people call a Masshole these days -- my definition of that term was that it was for the yacht club set up there and he is not that. 

I get the feeling LSU's bigwigs want a stern taskmaster to whip their athletes back into shape and get them back towing the line so they hired this drill sergeant. It is not going to work.

Enjoyed this post, but if it’s true that LSU had Riley as their #1 option, then the last paragraph doesn’t seem right. Looks like the bigwigs mainly desired a big name “splash” hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2021 at 5:00 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

Kelly had some interesting games with both Kiffin and Sark, albeit against a fragile sanctioned SC team.  ND stopped both of them on a 7th and goal. 

Kelly appears to be moving out long tenured assistants to bring in more of his cronies.  

That is not a good sign. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Instead of a little I'd submit pretty significantly.

Yeah but unless he's a George Wallace voter, that's an old school type of racism you don't see much anymore. 

I'm guessing he believes that everyone believes like he does, but he's the only one that's honest about it, and also has some sort of reasoning that would allow him to be so blatant without being rebuked by others. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

My last company was contracted to the Alabama AD for supplemental lift. Saban was an interesting character. His interactions were very planned. I.e., if he expected to interact with you, and needed to, he was surprisingly personable. If he didn’t need to interact with you or if it was unplanned the offender was pretty much an object for him to ignore and walk around. Never saw him eat his catering.  Lane Kiffin was every bit the massive goober you would think he is. Always seemed to slink around and half hide behind doors. 

The founder and CEO of my last company is a big Notre Dame alum. He’s also a re-used douche nozzle worthy of nary a drop of urine should he spontaneously combust, but he made money. And donated time for Kelly. BK was alway personable and friendly. And surpassingly knowledgeable about a variety of subjects. Nothing like the awkward rage monkey you see on tv. But he was usually coming back from fishing and golfing in Naples or something. 

Just a little color that has nothing to do with their football personas. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

we may be witnessing the critical part of the Kelly recruiting process known as imprinting. A few minutes in the black-light lit chamber, cheek to cheek with Kelly as he grinds on you as only a middle age Irish catholic man can, and these kids will follow him into war. 

I guess they all have their own spin on the process

image.png

Edited by Blotto

Kelly recruiting with the academic brakes off should be interesting. Walker Howard was a gift. Legacy, 5 star QB from Lafayette. That’s a once in a generation deal. 

I think his 2023 class should be pretty good. In state coaches always give the new HC the benefit of the doubt. I think Saban will still pick his pocket, but they’ll stop losing Louisiana kids  like Moss to Aggy.