Texas vs. SHSU at Gregory Gym on LHN @7:30

SDG

48 minutes ago, SDG said:

38-28 Texas. 
short video

SDG, thanks for the video. For 30 seconds, I felt like a kid again. The floor is much different and back in the day, the bleachers were not permanent but brought in for each game. They went down all the way to the court line and when sitting on the bench, our feet were actually on the court.

• Hook 'Em 1

SDG, thanks for the video. For 30 seconds, I felt like a kid again. The floor is much different and back in the day, the bleachers were not permanent but brought in for each game. They went down all the way to the court line and when sitting on the bench, our feet were actually on the court.
The bleachers aren't permanent. They fold against the wall when there aren't games. Gregory is usually sectioned off into one volleyball and two full basketball courts.

just now waking up and watching on my dvr. i'm about halfway through the first, and while i know that what i'm going to say will be unpopular, it's the truth: our students suck. everyone down on the floor is just standing there, waiting for Texas to do something exciting so that they in turn can get excited. we've had this debate for more than a decade on these sites, and what i'm watching is proof: it's not the seating arrangements, it's the students.

i get that we aren't a basketball school, but these are supposed to be the most die hard basketball fans of a school with 50,000 undergrads, and every single one of them is just standing there, apparently nonplussed by this 14-14 game. it's ridiculous. i was really looking forward to waking up and witnessing what i thought would be an insane atmosphere, and it's not. it's essentially tepid, all things considered. i'm seriously disappointed in these students, and just at a loss as to how/why we haven't had great student support since TJ was here. 

55 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

just now waking up and watching on my dvr. i'm about halfway through the first, and while i know that what i'm going to say will be unpopular, it's the truth: our students suck. everyone down on the floor is just standing there, waiting for Texas to do something exciting so that they in turn can get excited. we've had this debate for more than a decade on these sites, and what i'm watching is proof: it's not the seating arrangements, it's the students.

i get that we aren't a basketball school, but these are supposed to be the most die hard basketball fans of a school with 50,000 undergrads, and every single one of them is just standing there, apparently nonplussed by this 14-14 game. it's ridiculous. i was really looking forward to waking up and witnessing what i thought would be an insane atmosphere, and it's not. it's essentially tepid, all things considered. i'm seriously disappointed in these students, and just at a loss as to how/why we haven't had great student support since TJ was here. 

Relax, Ethel. Texas hasn’t developed a culture of caring about basketball and everyone is used to getting their cheers drowned out by the size of the drum.

Create an atmosphere where it actually feels like your voice matters and the student base will be more involved. 

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Relax, Ethel. Texas hasn’t developed a culture of caring about basketball and everyone is used to getting their cheers drowned out by the size of the drum.

Create an atmosphere where it actually feels like your voice matters and the student base will be more involved. 

empirically wrong. this debate is over. you cannot blame the Drum, or the location of the seats, or anything else. our students out and out suck at supporting basketball, and they have since TJ left. we've had KD, we've had great teams, we've had the no.1 team in the country, we've had exciting, high flying teams, and the students have remained the same. don't blame a building for 20 years of apathetic student support.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
13 hours ago, realgreggym said:

The bleachers aren't permanent. They fold against the wall when there aren't games. Gregory is usually sectioned off into one volleyball and two full basketball courts.

I understand that but that way, you don't get any splinters while sitting on the old bleacher seats. That's no fun.

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

Obviously you don’t have LHN but I didn’t realize you don’t have the internet either.

Actually you're partially correct. In my days on campus, algore hadn't invented the internets yet. I had a kid in my geology class named Fred Flintstone. He went on to be a great TV star. He was in my geology class but back then, there wasn't much geology to study.