Billy Bob Thornton

Vic Mackey

Sometime between The Apostle and Armageddon he turned into a completely different person.

I celebrate his entire catalog. I’ll throw out Intolerable Cruelty as an underrated role (and movie). One of the funniest Coen Bros films and CZJ at the top of her game.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Sometime between The Apostle and Armageddon he turned into a completely different person.

I celebrate his entire catalog. I’ll throw out Intolerable Cruelty as an underrated role (and movie). One of the funniest Coen Bros films and CZJ at the top of her game.

Intolerable Cruelty is a good watch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Friday Night Lights. He was also easily the best part of The Alamo. 

The Alamo is so bad. He doesn’t get a pass there. His character played a fucking fiddle at Santa Anna. He is great but even citing The Alamo is cruel and tragic. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Favorite movies/shows from Billy Bob?

I've loved him ever since his role in A Simple Plan. So many classic roles over his tenure. 

This is my fav with Sling Blade running a close second. He nails the mentally handicapped roles. Billy Bob has great character range.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sling blade is always a movie I like to point to when saying that the 90s had the best movies.  Just unbelievably great movie and it was just sort of there. Oscar for best screenplay but other than that you just accepted that quality of movie is just was what you should expect.  But nothing like that exists now.  

3 hours ago, futureman said:

he was good in pushing tin. somewhat funny but overlooked movie where he plays an eccentric air traffic controller. random plot for a movie but billy bob’s character made it tolerable. 

That movie taught me about wake turbulence.

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

Bad Santa is the only Christmas movie I can watch year round. Love that flick

Classic. I remember seeing that the weekend it dropped. I was a freshman in college. I finally watched pt 2 last year and I loved that one as well, although not as good as the first. 

9 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Sling blade is always a movie I like to point to when saying that the 90s had the best movies.  Just unbelievably great movie and it was just sort of there. Oscar for best screenplay but other than that you just accepted that quality of movie is just was what you should expect.  But nothing like that exists now.  

Maybe the 2023 release of Fast and Furious 10 will get us back on track. 

15 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

Slingblade

Simple Plan

The Man who wasn't there

Fargo

Friday Night Lights

Bad Santa

I haven't thought about (or seen) that movie in a long, long time.  "You've got the wrong idea mister" comes to mind.  Gandolini's acting rings a bell as well.  Due for a rewatch.

20 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I thought he was great in The Apostle, but that just may be the result of my affinity for any movie involving Robert Duvall.

He was great. My favorite line from that movie was delivered by Billy Bob Thornton "You want the Lord to watch me kick your ass?"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:56 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I'd agree, but the quality of TV has taken up the slack. 

I think Monster's Ball is some of his best work.  A complex character who's on the one hand a white trash piece of shit father, and the other someone who finds compassion for a grieving mom on the other side of the tracks.  I mean, the latter could've been all about boning Halle Barry, and who can blame a man for that.  But I think it was something more, a guy who can somehow evolve from being a horrible father (and probably a racist).