2022 Schedule is out

mdmost

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Me.  I’m a sunshine pumper.

We are better than 6-6 and make Alabama mess their drawers.  May not win but closer than the Surly experts think.

I consider that reasonable, not sunshine pumping.  Dude's acting like everyone is predicting a playoff berth in here.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

That's actually not all that bad of a home schedule if we're staying in the big 12 another season. You got ULM and the fighting couch burners, bama then all Texas teams at home (minus tortillas) before heading to the redneck conference...

Sorry if this take has been repeated. Too much shit going on in cfb and real world to read thru

ETA--Completely forgot about the return of Traylor, too. 

Haha...  Any schedule is a potential disaster schedule.

53 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I consider that reasonable, not sunshine pumping.  Dude's acting like everyone is predicting a playoff berth in here.

Yeah, the general negativity and self hate is strong in here.

I am choosing optimism.  We were not good, but I also see no reason our supposed crappy players don’t perform better in year 2.  Plus I’d hope our returning guys kick ass an F You for all the negativity.

I’m actually optimistic about what can happen next year.  Then again I’m pretty optimistic each year.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'd guess double that comes in for COTA F1. It's the biggest weekend in Austin by far (it's actually the biggest live sporting event in the world).

Dude. Slow down there, Z. F1 at COTA isn't the biggest live sporting event in the world. Not even close. That's either the Indy 500 or maybe Le Mans. And they won't pull 200K on race day, either.  COTA claimed this year's F1 crowd was their biggest ever (it wasn't, but whatever) at around an estimated 140K on Sunday. COTA's '140k' is conveniently 5K larger than the severely COVID-limited 135K crowd at the Indy 500 (40% of normal). COTA claimed it was the biggest ever crowd in F1 history, which was also complete fabricated bullshit. It's not even the biggest F1 crowd in US history, and likely isn't even the biggest crowd ever at COTA. The USGP crowd at Indy in 2000 blows this crowd out of the water (250+K on race day). So does the 2001 crowd in Indy, which was the first major sports event after 9-11 (175+K). So do some others in Adelaide, the Glen, Silverstone, Mexico, Belgium, Montreal, etc. The Indy 500 crushes this crowd in every normal year. So does Le Mans.

And I wouldn't count on COTA repeating that kind of crowd next year. There was a huge amount of pent-up demand coming into this race. This year's race was the first F1 GP in North America since 2019. There were no Canadian GP in 2020 & 2021, no Mexico GP in 2020, no Brazilian GP in 2020, and no USGP in 2020. A lot of the people in this USGP crowd carried over their tickets they purchased for the 2020 race, and COTA had 2 years of ticket sales for this race.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, wood said:

Dude. Slow down there, Z. F1 at COTA isn't the biggest live sporting event in the world. Not even close. That's either the Indy 500 or maybe Le Mans. And they won't pull 200K on race day, either.  COTA claimed this year's F1 crowd was their biggest ever (it wasn't, but whatever) at around an estimated 140K on Sunday. COTA's '140k' is conveniently 5K larger than the severely COVID-limited 135K crowd at the Indy 500 (40% of normal). COTA claimed it was the biggest ever crowd in F1 history, which was also complete fabricated bullshit. It's not even the biggest F1 crowd in US history, and likely isn't even the biggest crowd ever at COTA. The USGP crowd at Indy in 2000 blows this crowd out of the water (250+K on race day). So do some others in Adelaide, the Glen, Silverstone, Mexico, Belgium, Montreal, etc. 

And I wouldn't count on COTA repeating that kind of crowd next year. There was a huge amount of pent-up demand coming into this race. This year's race was the first F1 GP in North America since 2019. There were no Canadian GP in 2020 & 2021, no Mexico GP in 2020, no Brazilian GP in 2020, and no USGP in 2020. A lot of the people in this USGP crowd carried over their tickets they purchased for the 2020 race, and COTA had 2 years of ticket sales for this race.

Where is the COTA tailgate for Quali?

42 minutes ago, wood said:

Dude. Slow down there, Z. F1 at COTA isn't the biggest live sporting event in the world. Not even close. That's either the Indy 500 or maybe Le Mans. And they won't pull 200K on race day, either.  COTA claimed this year's F1 crowd was their biggest ever (it wasn't, but whatever) at around an estimated 140K on Sunday. COTA's '140k' is conveniently 5K larger than the severely COVID-limited 135K crowd at the Indy 500 (40% of normal). COTA claimed it was the biggest ever crowd in F1 history, which was also complete fabricated bullshit. It's not even the biggest F1 crowd in US history, and likely isn't even the biggest crowd ever at COTA. The USGP crowd at Indy in 2000 blows this crowd out of the water (250+K on race day). So does the 2001 crowd in Indy, which was the first major sports event after 9-11 (175+K). So do some others in Adelaide, the Glen, Silverstone, Mexico, Belgium, Montreal, etc. The Indy 500 crushes this crowd in every normal year. So does Le Mans.

Ah okay - so they were comparing it against audience restricted events for that calendar year. Makes sense. I was just repeating something I had read. 

It's still the biggest event in Austin. And I'm assuming it isn't the same ~140k people each day and you have to account for all of the people separate from the audience that come in for it. Maybe it is or isn't 200k but it's well over 100.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ah okay - so they were comparing it against audience restricted events for that calendar year. Makes sense. I was just repeating something I had read. 

It's still the biggest event in Austin. And I'm assuming it isn't the same ~140k people each day and you have to account for all of the people separate from the audience that come in for it. Maybe it is or isn't 200k but it's well over 100.

I don't think it's the biggest event in Austin. SXSW & ACL are. Sometimes F1 is over 100K, but not by much ... and sometimes it isn't, but COTA will never admit that. I know that in 2016 they overstated the crowd by around 50-60% to get to 101K on Sunday. They're lying sacks of shit, but it helps em keep getting that big State subsidy from Wheelchair - $300 MILLION so far.

Re: the same 140K people each day, no, they don't get the same kind of crowd on Friday and Saturday as they do on Sunday. It builds throughout the weekend, and until this year they've never had more than 120K (even by their own estimates) until this year under very advantageous circumstances. 

As for the accounting of the crowd, hell, COTA doesn't even actually know how many people are there in the first place. They don't scan GA passes, thus they don't count GA attendees entering the venue. They count every GA pass sold as three days of attendance, whether the bearer attended 0, 1, 2, or 3 days of racing - or if they just showed up for one of the concerts (for which the 3-day GA pass is the cheapest option). :cotacrowdtalknotgoingaway:

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

I don't think it's the biggest event in Austin. SXSW & ACL are. Sometimes F1 is over 100K, but not by much ... and sometimes it isn't, but COTA will never admit that. I know that in 2016 they overstated the crowd by around 50% to get to 101K on Sunday. They're lying sacks of shit, but it helps em keep getting that big State subsidy from Wheelchair - $300 MILLION so far.

Re: the same 140K people each day, no, they don't get the same kind of crowd on Friday and Saturday as they do on Sunday. It builds throughout the weekend, and until this year they've never had more than 120K (even by their own estimates) until this year under very beneficial circumstances. \

As for the accounting of the crowd, hell, COTA doesn't even know how many people are there in the first place. They don't scan GA passes, thus they don't count GA attendees entering the venue. They count every GA pass sold as three days of attendance, whether the bearer attended 0, 1, 2, or 3 days of racing - or if they just showed up for one of the concerts (for which the 3-day GA pass is the cheapest option).

I don't know what the set in stone numbers for any of these things are but I can promise you the arriving traffic at ABIA on Thursday and Friday pre COTA is much higher than either ACL weekend. Like I mentioned - the % of ACL attendees that are locals has to be much higher than for COTA. 

Not sure about SX as it's been canned two years in a row now. I would assume it's comparable - but it's also spread out over like 10 days. 

The thing about COTA though is that it's less centralized than ACL or SX so it doesn't create as much of a shitshow in the middle of the city.

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know what the set in stone numbers for any of these things are but I can promise you the arriving traffic at ABIA on Thursday and Friday pre COTA is much higher than either ACL weekend. Like I mentioned - the % of ACL attendees that are locals has to be much higher than for COTA. 

Not sure about SX as it's been canned two years in a row now. I would assume it's comparable - but it's also spread out over like 10 days. 

The thing about COTA though is that it's less centralized than ACL or SX so it doesn't create as much of a shitshow in the middle of the city.

Just don't believe everything (or anything, really) that you hear from COTA. They've never told the truth about race attendance. Not even once, and not even close.

11 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Wins: ULM, UTSA

Losses: Bama, ou

Up-for-grabs: the other 8.

So if we split the up-for-grabs, we're 6-6.  

Then we can go beat Army in the Who Gives a Shit Bowl on a Tuesday night.

Then we can give Sark an extension to reward him for the whopping 40% increase in our win total in Year 2.

Fuck everything.

Not gonna bother predicting until we have a better idea who our QB is.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You'll get the one LHN night game for ULM. 

Yep, this.  ULM will go at 7:00p on LHN.  Alabama will get whoever has first tier selection next season (Not sure if it's FOX or ESPN/ABC).  Whoever it is, that game goes on at 6:30p or 7:00p.  UTSA will likely fall to an evening game though on a lesser channel like FS1/2, ESPNU, et. al.  Only other two games in our league worth a damn are road games (OKL @ NEB & TTU @ NCST).  Those will fall to their respective conference TV packages.  Though don't be surprised if ABC picks that up for a 2:30p regional and the fans melt.  Literally. 

If we're allowed to use our second LHN pull for conference play, which should be the case.  Expect either WVU or TCU.  

Cool that Baylor is on a Saturday, hopefully they won't pull some shit at Belmont and move that thing to Friday morning.  Going out of the Big XII with a bang on that final Saturday night against the ranked Bears could be enough to actually fill the stadium up again.  

Anyway, since we're playing.  I'll call 7-5 and Cheez-It Bowl.  Possibly against UNC.  

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

dear cdc: WE DEMAND SEPTEMBER NIGHT GAMES GODDAMNIT

You would think the first three at home will be night games...

ULM will likely be the one game carried on the LHN for the season.   Safe for a 7PM slot.

Bama---  Seems perfect for the ESPN/ABC 7PM slot, but that might hinge on what ever matchup is out there with two names squaring off.

UTSA-   logical for  7PM, but where it goes for TV is the big question.   This could be an ESPN 2 or FS1 game.  It's possible it could be a late afternoon if the TV times with other potential matchups have to be coordinated 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

22 hours ago, MrBig said:

UT is gonna say “buy season tickets now to lock in your rate for 5+ years so you can get SEC games at a Big 12 price.” Reminds me of 1999 when my little brother paid Rolling Stone  magazine $99 for a lifetime subscription. My parents are still getting that shit every month even after we tried to cancel many times.

That $99 was one of my best purchases. My address label says Expires 2058. I'll be 90 when it's done. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

You would think the first three at home will be night games...

ULM will likely be the one game carried on the LHN for the season.   Safe for a 7PM slot.

Bama---  Seems perfect for the ESPN/ABC 7PM slot, but that might hinge on what ever matchup is out there with two names squaring off.

UTSA-   logical for  7PM, but where it goes for TV is the big question.   This could be an ESPN 2 or FS1 game.  It's possible it could be a late afternoon if the TV times with other potential matchups have to be coordinated 

Bama seems like it will either be a Big Noon game since Fox would probably really love a chance to get Bama on their network or that night time slot like you said. I guess it comes down to who gets first pick this year which I think is ABC. I would imagine they'll pick Michigan Ohio State as that was the most watched game this season. Then Fox gets to choose one game. That could be Texas OU but I would imagine Texas/Bama would be a better draw for them. Ohio State does host Notre Dame so that could easily be a selection over Texas/Bama as we're not exactly the draw we once were. 

13 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m naively optimistic that this is a spectacle and that we will be in the SEC next year with real referees.

Just stop with this talk.  If you don't think that after our first season in the SEC that there won't be many, MANY posts about how "These stupid SEC refs are biased against TEXAS!" ....I don't know what to tell you.  EVERYONE in EVERY league thinks that the refs are biased against them.  There are ZERO EXCEPTIONS.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

8 Weeks before the bye week.  Includes 3 game stretch of blOU, Iowa State, @Okie Lite...

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2022

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/3
vsULMULM
7:00 PM

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Sat, 9/10
vsALAALA
11:00 AM
FOX

Sat, 9/17
vsUTSAUTSA

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Sat, 9/24
@TTUTTU
TBD    
Sat, 10/1
vsWVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 10/8
vsOUOU *
TBD

espn-abc@2x.png

Sat, 10/15
vsISUISU
TBD    
Sat, 10/22
@OKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 11/5
@KSUKSU
TBD    
Sat, 11/12
vsTCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 11/19
@KUKU
TBD    
Fri, 11/25
vsBAYBAY
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

8 Weeks before the bye week.  Includes 3 game stretch of blOU, Iowa State, @Okie Lite...

Texas Longhorns Schedule 2022

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/3
vsULMULM

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Sat, 9/10
vsALAALA
11:00 AM
FOX

Sat, 9/17
vsUTSAUTSA

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Sat, 9/24
@TTUTTU
TBD    
Sat, 10/1
vsWVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 10/8
vsOUOU *
TBD

espn-abc@2x.png

Sat, 10/15
vsISUISU
TBD    
Sat, 10/22
@OKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 11/5
@KSUKSU
TBD    
Sat, 11/12
vsTCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 11/19
@KUKU
TBD    
Fri, 11/25
vsBAYBAY
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

Id like to make predictions on the TV schedule 

Texas Tech - Fox 

WVU - Fox 

Iowa St - LHN

OKST - ABC

KSU - Fox 

TCU - ESPN

Kansas - LHN 

Baylor - ABC (If they’re as good as everyone says) 

6 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Id like to make predictions on the TV schedule 

Texas Tech - Fox 

WVU - Fox 

Iowa St - LHN

OKST - ABC

KSU - Fox 

TCU - ESPN

Kansas - LHN 

Baylor - ABC (If they’re as good as everyone says) 

LHN doesn’t live broadcast away games, so the @Kansas game will be on another  network. Maybe ESPN-U