Ewers in the portal

Bruh Man

1 minute ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I came to post a similar POV. IMHO, these primadonnas are the types that have slowly sunk the program during the past decades. It's a big red flag when a kid enters the portal as a true freshmen not to mention all the NIL crap. You win with football players not rivals rankings. This guy feels more like Garrett Gilbert and Chris Simms than Colt McCoy or The Major.

Chris Simms left Texas holding several passing records.  I'd be fine with that type of production from anybody. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I came to post a similar POV. IMHO, these primadonnas are the types that have slowly sunk the program during the past decades. It's a big red flag when a kid enters the portal as a true freshmen not to mention all the NIL crap. You win with football players not rivals rankings. This guy feels more like Garrett Gilbert and Chris Simms than Colt McCoy or The Major.

Chris Simms was an outstanding quarterback for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I feel like this is one of those stories where however it turns out, we lose. If we don’t get him, we lose. If we do, he’ll turn out to be a head case.

If he’s a headcase, he’s Ryan Leaf, who was pretty good in college and drafted #2 overall.  His arm is that good.

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think we all said that about Kyler Murray. And Baker Mayfield. 

Yeah at the college level a huge talent with an ego problem can win with the right pieces around him and enough coaching to keep him from complete implosion. 

Not to mention Sark has to take that chance here. A 5 win season in year 1 without even one class of his own and people were already clamoring to run him out. He has to bet big and win big if he wants to be able to recruit at all with anyone believing he isn't going to be run like Strong and Herman. 

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If he’s a headcase, he’s Ryan Leaf, who was pretty good in college and drafted #2 overall.  His arm is that good.

Just hope he doesn't go full "Ryan Leaf" till he goes pro.  If he's a prodigy, and goes Ryan Leaf early, we're f'd.

Also, at the time, I thought that it was dumb to pick Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf -- Leaf looked like a materially better pick.  Shows you what I know about football talent.

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm pleased we're being this aggressive with Ewers and NIL in general. This is what college football is moving forward. Adapt or die. 

exactly, all these morons saying otherwise dont see the big picture.  this aint 1995 anymore grandpa.  if you want big names you gotta pony up. 

also - this NIL shit has been going on for decades under the table.  now its just public.

Edited by DiceHands

From what he seems like and what I’ve heard he does appear to be a me-first douche. I have no doubt he doesn’t give a shit about Texas/college and is just waiting to jump to the NFL as soon as he can. 

And I give exactly 0 shits about any of that if he helps us win football games. This would easily be the second biggest get in UT history after VY. Whoever compared him to Garrett Gilbert is a moron. I watched the fucking Alice Coyotes pull to within 35-32 in the 2nd half against Gilbert & LT in the Alamodome in the playoffs his senior year before LT pulled away.  Dude was clearly a system QB with a strong arm even back then. Ewers is nothing like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

From what he seems like and what I’ve heard he does appear to be a me-first douche. I have no doubt he doesn’t give a shit about Texas/college and is just waiting to jump to the NFL as soon as he can. 

And I give exactly 0 shits about any of that if he helps us win football games. This would easily be the second biggest get in UT history after VY. Whoever compared him to Garrett Gilbert is a moron. I watched the fucking Alice Coyotes pull to within 35-32 in the 2nd half against Gilbert & LT in the Alamodome in the playoffs his senior year before LT pulled away.  Dude was clearly a system QB with a strong arm even back then. Ewers is nothing like that.

All of your anecdotes somehow tie into rio grande valley/south Texas football and I’m here for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

They need to start calling this something besides college football, because it really isn't anymore.  I suggest The Professional Football League Where Universities Whore Out their Name, or PFLWUWOTN for short.  Sorry if my vagina is sandy or dripping.  The NFL sucks and this is going to suck even more.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I feel like this is one of those stories where however it turns out, we lose. If we don’t get him, we lose. If we do, he’ll turn out to be a head case.

Big mean Texas is going to be hated either way.  Might as well win and win big.  Give them a real reason to be upset about.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They need to start calling this something besides college football, because it really isn't anymore.  I suggest The Professional Football League Where Universities Whore Out their Name, or PFLWUWOTN for short.  Sorry if my vagina is sandy or dripping.  The NFL sucks and this is going to suck even more.

I mean if you know your post is shitty you could just not click the Submit Reply button.

Why is it that players getting paid bothers you but I don't recall you speaking up about the absurd coaching salary explosion?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean if you know your post is shitty you could just not click the Submit Reply button.

Why is it that players getting paid bothers you but I don't recall you speaking up about the absurd coaching salary explosion?

I have posted on numerous occasions that the money involved in college football will turn into nothing but another version of the NFL.  I'm sorry my post offends you.

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just hope he doesn't go full "Ryan Leaf" till he goes pro.  If he's a prodigy, and goes Ryan Leaf early, we're f'd.

Also, at the time, I thought that it was dumb to pick Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf -- Leaf looked like a materially better pick.  Shows you what I know about football talent.

He may have been a better pick had he not brought all the baggage. There were several scouting reports out there on Leaf beforehand that were enough to scare away most NFL franchises. Anger management, alcohol abuse, and prevalent drug use. Dude was a train wreck before he hit the NFL. 

Edited by Saint Tacky

1 minute ago, Saint Tacky said:

He may have been a better pick had he not brought all the baggage. There were several scouting reports out there on Leaf beforehand that were enough to scare away most NFL franchises. Anger management, alcohol abuse, and prevalent drug use. Dude was a train wreck before he hit the NFL. 

He also took Wazzu to the Rose Bowl.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I feel like the next step in the NIL arms race is for there to be a cap on contributions, just like pro teams have salary caps. 

Don't how that would work practically speaking considering these are companies and organizations not affiliated with the university/program in the traditional sense. And now that we've opened the "college players deserve to be compensated for use of their image and likeness" floodgates, much like a traditional job, any sweeping efforts to cap/minimize the amount that can be paid out (particularly on an arbitrary, program-by-program basis) would likely be viewed as unfair restrictions on their right to earn - something that labor laws don't tend to look favorably on.

Taking it a step further, there's also an anti-competitive practices angle that could be argued, kind of akin to price fixing -- why should Star Player A be cut off from earning what companies are willing to pay him just because the team collectively is earning $X?

Then there's the whole, "who is going to impose these limitations" question. Certainly not the NCAA, think that goes without saying. Perhaps state legislatures, but any bills will be scrutinized and see legal challenges aplenty for things like above and much much more. The faucet has been turned on, it's a new industry with extreme market size potential, and there are now countless students (current, former and future) that will fight tooth and nail to prevent any restrictions, not to mention the agents, lawyers and uncles just as motivated to do the same to protect (and grow) their slice of the pie. 

18 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I figure the next step will be for some university to just outright buy another schools entire program.

The only reason the pro sports teams get to impose a salary cap is because Congress has given them anti-trust exemptions. Otherwise, it would be collusion to inhibit free markets. That, and collective bargaining with the union.

I'm guessing your take on "the next step" is a bit off base.

Edited by Randolph Duke

Looks like some of our fanbase wants to have our dick in our hands when we enter the SEC in (hopefully) 2023. 

Sign Ewers. If he's a bust, so fucking what. We have Maalik or a future signee/transfer to take over. If Ewers plays well, we're set up nicely entering a new conference. 

While we've farted around with a couple of mediocre coaches and shit the bed for the last decade plus, other schools have smartly and aggressively found ways to compete and level the playing field against us. Now it's time for us to drop our nuts on the table and play to win. 

Are we the villain? Good. Embrace it. Use it to create a chip on our team's fucking shoulder. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Oh, for fuck's sake. The rules changed. It's no longer cheating, it's "the law". Glad folks in these parts understand things have changed. Guess Rovell needed his clickbait for butthurt haters so someone will pay attention to his actionnetwork.com loser ass. Only 43 and already a washed-up joke trolling for work.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Oh, for fuck's sake. The rules changed. It's no longer cheating, it's "the law". Glad folks in these parts understand things have changed. Guess Rovell needed his clickbait for butthurt haters so someone will pay attention to his actionnetwork.com loser ass. Only 43 and already a washed-up joke trolling for work.

I guess capitalism is cheating now.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, remoh said:

Is he coming here or not? 

I cant keep up. This thread is moving at rocket speed. Is there a timeline summary somewhere?

I would put the odds at 80% yes, but Ewer this generational type talent so practically everyone in the country is making a second chance run at him.

11 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Nah...  The next step is farm systems.  UTSA and UTEP are told who to go after and if they pan out they're elevated to the show.

That is what I am concerned about. Will the big NIL donors look at 9.95ers “evals” and try to tell staff to get player X? 

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Fair enough. Duly edited. And probably unfair to Gilbert, but easy poles.

Gilbert was the victim of Mack going full regard after the Bama loss and completely changing the offense overnight without the personnel to run it. Gilbert had never taken a snap under center in his life before that change, when he got back into a shotgun offense he was drafted and had very high production. Gilbert was a scapegoat for many things that were wrong with Texas at the time. It wasn't fair, but it happened and it was an embarrassment at the time to see the NPOY leave as a "failure". That is one reason Baker Mayfield shits all over us. Now with the way that Hudson Card is going, we may never get another LT QB on campus.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Nah...  The next step is farm systems.  UTSA and UTEP are told who to go after and if they pan out they're elevated to the show.

I love it. Let's do it. Mini-NIL programs for project guys/grade-behavior risks to go to UTSA and UTEP to work like farm teams. 

Well Done Ends & The Pancake Shed

You get $15k/year to be a Roadrunner OL as RS, RS-FR then if you're the goods, you transfer to UT for JR & SR seasons.

We basically do this for academics. Let's do it for athletics, too!

Quick, what's the Miners version of Surly!?!

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gilbert was the victim of Mack going full regard after the Bama loss and completely changing the offense overnight without the personnel to run it. Gilbert had never taken a snap under center in his life before that change, when he got back into a shotgun offense he was drafted and had very high production. Gilbert was a scapegoat for many things that were wrong with Texas at the time. It wasn't fair, but it happened and it was an embarrassment at the time to see the NPOY leave as a "failure". That is one reason Baker Mayfield shits all over us. Now with the way that Hudson Card is going, we may never get another LT QB on campus.   

Jake Smith has entered the chat.

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Just stop with this shit. Both of those teams are playing in bowl games this year, Austin is not, and you all know damn well the component presidents do not answer to Jay Hartzell. The UT System is basically a united front of all UT campuses minus UT Austin who operates nearly completely independent of the rest. It's a point of contention, believe me. 

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

...we may never get another LT QB on campus.   

What about Houston Madison and Jim Nedd?  Can we get more of those?

I'm pretty sure we'll be alright.

I only want LT QBs when we have a high level OL. Until then, they should go to Arizona State... Nice place to play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

And Mack gave Gilbert no meaningful game snaps during the season until Colt went down early in Alabama NC game.  Even under those circumstances, Gilbert played well enough to almost win the game until o-lineman missed his man he got blind sided.  I think had Gilbert been able to get that pass off, Texas might have scored and possibly win the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

And Mack gave Gilbert no meaningful game snaps during the season until Colt went down early in Alabama NC game.  Even under those circumstances, Gilbert played well enough to almost win the game until o-lineman missed his man he got blind sided.  I think had Gilbert been able to get that pass off, Texas might have scored and possibly win the game.

If by play well you mean commit 5 turnovers and have two touchdowns thrown to a wide ass open Shipley, yes he played well.  Turnovers and not being able to convert third downs caused our defense, who was absolutely butt fucking Alabama's o-line, to tire and give up a couple big running plays.

Gilbert was awful all on his own.  He finally became above-average as a 5th year playing in the run and shoot.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If by play well you mean commit 5 turnovers and have two touchdowns thrown to a wide ass open Shipley, yes he played well.  Turnovers and not being able to convert third downs caused our defense, who was absolutely butt fucking Alabama's o-line, to tire and give up a couple big running plays.

Gilbert was awful all on his own.  He finally became above-average as a 5th year playing in the run and shoot.

He was a true freshman getting his first college snaps against a national championship Bama defense. I don't really know what you were expecting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like some of our fanbase wants to have our dick in our hands when we enter the SEC in (hopefully) 2023. 

Sign Ewers. If he's a bust, so fucking what. We have Maalik or a future signee/transfer to take over. If Ewers plays well, we're set up nicely entering a new conference. 

While we've farted around with a couple of mediocre coaches and shit the bed for the last decade plus, other schools have smartly and aggressively found ways to compete and level the playing field against us. Now it's time for us to drop our nuts on the table and play to win. 

Are we the villain? Good. Embrace it. Use it to create a chip on our team's fucking shoulder. 

We already get treated as the villain of CFB, we should lean into it. 

Get those bad mofo's onto the playing field who want to be the bad guys too. 

Go kick some ass on and off the field 

• Hook 'Em 3