Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse..... part one

Scary Stranger

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was only able to see about half of the movie tonight. Visually it was really cool. I wish I understood more about the story and whatnot. I did not leave early because the movie was bad. It was just late already when I went and I did not want to be getting home right now. Hopefully I can go back and see the 2nd half next week.

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wished I had rewatched the first one beforehand. It would have been helpful to have a refresher for sure.

This sounds like something I might should do. I enjoy stories where I am exposed to something new that I don’t fully understand, but seeing the first movie sounds like a really good idea.

17 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I was only able to see about half of the movie tonight. Visually it was really cool. I wish I understood more about the story and whatnot. I did not leave early because the movie was bad. It was just late already when I went and I did not want to be getting home right now. Hopefully I can go back and see the 2nd half next week.

That is a really bizarre move that I can’t fully comprehend. You knew when the movie started and presumably roughly how long a movie is. You paid money to go see it and then left halfway through because of what time it was. I am fascinated by this thought process. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

That is a really bizarre move that I can’t fully comprehend. You knew when the movie started and presumably roughly how long a movie is. You paid money to go see it and then left halfway through because of what time it was. I am fascinated by this thought process. 

I have an AMC Pass. It won’t cost me a dime extra to go finish the movie. I usually watch a couple of movies a week. 

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

And by thought process, he means being fucking weird.

The combination of not fully understanding what I was watching combined with the time meant I decided to leave. I feel like I should probably watch the first movie to better understand things. I do not have a family so I kind of just get to do what I want when I want to, which includes leaving a movie early knowing I can just go back while it is still being shown at AMC.

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I have an AMC Pass. It won’t cost me a dime extra to go finish the movie. I usually watch a couple of movies a week. 

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

The combination of not fully understanding what I was watching combined with the time meant I decided to leave. I feel like I should probably watch the first movie to better understand things. I do not have a family so I kind of just get to do what I want when I want to, which includes leaving a movie early knowing I can just go back while it is still being shown at AMC.

This helps explain it some, but you should absolutely watch the first movie before watching the sequel. Kind of as a rule of thumb in general too. 

Just got back. It was a lot longer than the first. Took my 7 and 4 year olds to a "Family Party" at that Drafthouse. 7 year old loved it, it was too long for the 4 year old.

It was fucking great for the 40 year old too.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, hornian said:

Just got back. It was a lot longer than the first. Took my 7 and 4 year olds to a "Family Party" at that Drafthouse. 7 year old loved it, it was too long for the 4 year old.

It was fucking great for the 40 year old too.

This was my experience. Amazing movie but it would have been way more fun with just my oldest and not both him and the 4 year old. 

16 hours ago, naija said:

haven't seen a lot of movies this year, but agree with this. quite surprising.

Same.

I didn't think the first one could be topped, because it kinda came out of nowhere and surprised me with how awesome it was. But it did. Very creative and fun and action-packed while also being emotionally driven. Fantastic movie.

Went last night with the wife, 9yo girl and 7yo boy. It was fucking awesome. But I had no idea this was a part 1/part 2 thing. At the two hour mark I was REALLY confused wondering how they were going to wrap everything up. 

But the animation is fucking AMAZING. I had very high expectations after the first one, and it met or exceeded them. Go see this movie in a theater. You will not regret it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Great movie. Normally with Marvel and Star Wars, I want as many minutes of content as possible even if others say it’s unnecessary for plot (e.g. any conversations between Luke and Ahsoka in BOBF, or between Yoda/Obiwan/Quigon/Anakin force ghosts and Ahsoka/Luke; more episodes in Marvel/Star Wars limited series, etc.). OTOH, this movie could’ve afforded condensing Miles’s mom by at least 50%. I thought my younger kids were going to disengage every time she had a 5 minute scene ranting either to the dad or to Miles. You love your son who is coming of age and isn’t the little boy you see him as, we got it. Gwen’s and Miguel’s stories were great. I also didn’t know it was a to be continued movie and wondered if it was going to be abruptly and sloppily ended after hitting the two hour mark. Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully it won’t take 3-4 years in between again. 

Finally got to pop into a showing at Alamo. The past few weekends have just been nonstop sold out or just singles on the fringes. It was still packed today, and with good reason. My initial reaction was A+, and I think that's going to stand. I don't give those out regularly at all. So damn fast paced from the music to the humor/one liners, to the animation, chase scenes, etc., it's kind of a fun ride. 

Saw this with my kid yesterday.  Really surprised at how good it was, better than the first.

Also, both us were not expecting it to be a two-parter, and I was like "wow, they are piling a lot into this last few minutes".

Animation was awesome, music was awesome, pacing was awesome (even with the mom's dialogues), humor was good.  This set a really high bar.

Loved Spider-Punk.

• 3 months later...