Saturday, January 29th, 2022- Rick Barnes returns. Texas hosts Tennessee

shadow_operative

This is going to be one of the all-time great atmospheres in FEC history. My dad has already said that he thinks it could match the Strollin Nolan game, yeh most raucous atmosphere in the history of UT hoops at the FEC. we're gonna do a video tribute to rick barnes and then introduce him, and the place is going to go nuts, and be rocking before tipoff even occurs. my hopes for the atmosphere couldn't be higher. the Vols, much like Texas, don't look like a national title contender, but do look like a potential S16/E8 team, so it could feasibly be a top 10 matchup. ive been to nearly every big game at the FEC in the last 30 years, and there's just something different about these saturday afternoon games. this game should be one for the record books. get your tickets now, if you haven't already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

This is going to be one of the all-time great atmospheres in FEC history. My dad has already said that he thinks it could match the Strollin Nolan game, yeh most raucous atmosphere in the history of UT hoops at the FEC. we're gonna do a video tribute to rick barnes and then introduce him, and the place is going to go nuts, and be rocking before tipoff even occurs. my hopes for the atmosphere couldn't be higher. the Vols, much like Texas, don't look like a national title contender, but do look like a potential S16/E8 team, so it could feasibly be a top 10 matchup. ive been to nearly every big game at the FEC in the last 30 years, and there's just something different about these saturday afternoon games. this game should be one for the record books. get your tickets now, if you haven't already. 

I Iike your enthusiasm.  Two things---it's not a Saturday afternoon game.  Tip-off is at 7:05pm-CST.  Remember most students have no idea who Rick Barnes is, but our alumni have no excuse not to turn out and be drunk and rowdy as all hell.  The turnaround from Barnes coming here Saturday night and then Beard & the Longhorns traveling to Lubbock on Tuesday is gonna be a great 48 hours time for fans.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

I Iike your enthusiasm.  Two things---it's not a Saturday afternoon game.  Tip-off is at 7:05pm-CST.  Remember most students have no idea who Rick Barnes is, but our alumni have no excuse not to turn out and be drunk and rowdy as all hell.  The turnaround from Barnes coming here Saturday night and then Beard & the Longhorns traveling to Lubbock on Tuesday is gonna be a great 48 hours time for fans.

ive had those two games marked down on my calendar since the schedule came out. it's going to be a wild 48 hours of hoops. 

• 1 month later...

I def "get" the hype for this game.  It's warranted, it's Rick's first return to Austin.

But they're (Fran Fraschilla mostly) definitely trying to run with some sort of "emotional homecoming" and that everyone will be "so fired up" - no one on this roster played for Rick Barnes.  Of course the alumni know Barnes well, but none of the students on campus were here during the end of his tenure.  Chris Beard's GA/student tenure at Texas did not overlap Rick Barnes' coaching tenure.

It should be a very gracious and welcome homecoming for a former longtime coach.  But it's a big game because it is a top-20 Tennessee squad, who just happens to be coached by Rick Barnes. 

Now let's schedule Marquette next year and see what kind of reception Shaka gets. Doubt it would be as congenial as Barnes' return.  😂

I'm getting verklempt.  

Talk amongst yourselves.

I'll give a topic.

Rick Barnes is neither volunteering.

Nor is he from Tennessee.

Talk among yourselves. 

(welcome back Coach, always liked you...but we need this win so piss off)

11 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Dear God, while some of my funnest memories, who here would return to the days of a Rick Barnes Offense?

many of his offenses were near the top of the country in PPG, and his other, less explosive offenses still rated consistently well in offensive efficiency due to his roster composition/style of play which emphasized offensive rebounding. his worst offenses were really hard to watch, but he had plenty of really really good offensive teams. 

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I’m not trying to troll Derka but Tennessee’s offense is kind of awful from what I’ve seen. They are really good defensively though. 

their offense is ugly most of the time, usually relying on Santi Vescovi  (and to a lesser degree kennedy chandler) to catch fire in order for them to look good. otherwise it can be as painful to watch as our offense over the last several years. should be a total slugfest.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

their offense is ugly most of the time, usually relying on Santi Vescovi  (and to a lesser degree kennedy chandler) to catch fire in order for them to look good. otherwise it can be as painful to watch as our offense over the last several years. should be a total slugfest.

Yeah, that's what I've seen. 

I posted that before even seeing you say this. Seems like the key for Texas is making Vescovi's life hell. 

Vescovi is somewhat like a 6'3" Doj Balbay who can really shoot at times. not an explosive athlete like Doj (he doesn't run the break like Doj did), but he's a creative, probing guard who can really create offense with his vision and passing ability. it's when he himself gets hot that other teams find themselves in trouble. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

what ever happed to Balbay? Had big hopes for him and that cat from Oceania that both showed her around the same time.  One 'em owes me $9 actually.

he's happily married with a son named "Austin". he's had a really nice pro career for a guy who cannot shoot (no nice way to say that, but no disrespect intended). he spends most of his time in Turkey, but he visits Austin semi regularly and considers the city his second home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hey there!

My name is Vince and I was a head student manager under Rick Barnes for three seasons. Royal Ivey, Cory Joseph, and I have started a Longhorn Networking community on discord and would for you all to join. I wanted a safe space for all students, fans, alumni, and lettermen to gather and connect. We have tons of plans and ideas which include career networking, ticket exchange, SEC road trip planning, game-day meetups, live game watching (if not attending), giving back to the community, and supporting local businesses.

We plan on giving away prizes which will include Texas basketball tickets and NBA tickets.

Tomorrow at 8pm Central, my guy Javan Felix will be joining us on the Discord for a Q & A. I personally can't wait to ask him about his GW shot against #3 UNC.

We started the discord a week ago, and today we hit 100 members (#100 was Hawaiian t-shirt guy). We are honored to have our brothers be a part of the community so far: Javan Felix, Cam Ridley, Jerrod Heard, Myck Kabongo, Prince Ibeh, Demarcus Holland, Ira Clark, Ivan Wagner, Chico Vasquez, Kris Clack, Jaylen Bond, Eric Davis Jr., Coach Chris Ogden, Joe Schwartz, Andrew Dick, Texas Basketball Equipment Manager Rob Lazare, Texas Baseball Equipment Manager Chris Quinn, Mo Isom, and more!

We’re building something really special and we would be honored to have you all! In our community and safe space, we are all equals! We can interact and share memories and celebrate together. Hook ‘Em!

-Vince Hu
Rick Barnes’ favorite ball boy

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

I def "get" the hype for this game.  It's warranted, it's Rick's first return to Austin.

But they're (Fran Fraschilla mostly) definitely trying to run with some sort of "emotional homecoming" and that everyone will be "so fired up" - no one on this roster played for Rick Barnes.  Of course the alumni know Barnes well, but none of the students on campus were here during the end of his tenure.  Chris Beard's GA/student tenure at Texas did not overlap Rick Barnes' coaching tenure.

It should be a very gracious and welcome homecoming for a former longtime coach.  But it's a big game because it is a top-20 Tennessee squad, who just happens to be coached by Rick Barnes. 

Now let's schedule Marquette next year and see what kind of reception Shaka gets. Doubt it would be as congenial as Barnes' return.  😂

You're right. 

Let's beat their ass.

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also this endeavor seems really gay and is obviously missing the actually successful former Horns that would make it worth mentioning. 

But I mean - good for them. 

Good because we don't fuck with people like you. We got 10 year NBA vets as founders and who are you? Keep your bad vibes elsewhere. 

IMG_2076.JPG

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, Texastaco20 said:

Good because we don't fuck with people like you. We got 10 year NBA vets as founders and who are you? Keep your bad vibes elsewhere. 

IMG_2076.JPG

Keep the negs take it up with the board. I had a shit day. Sorry, Vince.

Edited by ztejas

6 hours ago, Texastaco20 said:

Hey there!

My name is Vince and I was a head student manager under Rick Barnes for three seasons. Royal Ivey, Cory Joseph, and I have started a Longhorn Networking community on discord and would for you all to join. I wanted a safe space for all students, fans, alumni, and lettermen to gather and connect. We have tons of plans and ideas which include career networking, ticket exchange, SEC road trip planning, game-day meetups, live game watching (if not attending), giving back to the community, and supporting local businesses.

We plan on giving away prizes which will include Texas basketball tickets and NBA tickets.

Tomorrow at 8pm Central, my guy Javan Felix will be joining us on the Discord for a Q & A. I personally can't wait to ask him about his GW shot against #3 UNC.

We started the discord a week ago, and today we hit 100 members (#100 was Hawaiian t-shirt guy). We are honored to have our brothers be a part of the community so far: Javan Felix, Cam Ridley, Jerrod Heard, Myck Kabongo, Prince Ibeh, Demarcus Holland, Ira Clark, Ivan Wagner, Chico Vasquez, Kris Clack, Jaylen Bond, Eric Davis Jr., Coach Chris Ogden, Joe Schwartz, Andrew Dick, Texas Basketball Equipment Manager Rob Lazare, Texas Baseball Equipment Manager Chris Quinn, Mo Isom, and more!

We’re building something really special and we would be honored to have you all! In our community and safe space, we are all equals! We can interact and share memories and celebrate together. Hook ‘Em!

-Vince Hu
Rick Barnes’ favorite ball boy

Not really a Discord guy but have some posrep to offset Z's inexplicable assholery. Good luck with your endeavor and hook 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not really a Discord guy but have some posrep to offset Z's inexplicable assholery. Good luck with your endeavor and hook 'em.

Thank you. I apologize for being protective of my guys. I should have taken the high road and didn't appreciate the words towards my friends. Those guys poured their blood, sweat, and tears our for the Longhorns and regardless of what happened on the court while at Texas, they represented us with pure class. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Keep the negs take it up with the board. I had a shit day. Sorry, Vince.

My bad as well. I'm sorry that you had a bad day yesterday. Today will be a better day and let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We have worked hard on this project and the players who are in the community are good friends of mine. We only recruit good kids from food families, and I am proud for them to be Longhorns, regardless of what postseason results on campus may have been. I think we got off on the wrong foot, and I think we all have more in common than we think. I am happy to chat more if you'd like. Today is a new opportunity!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texastaco20 said:

Thank you. I apologize for being protective of my guys. I should have taken the high road and didn't appreciate the words towards my friends. Those guys poured their blood, sweat, and tears our for the Longhorns and regardless of what happened on the court while at Texas, they represented us with pure class. 

Seems like a great idea and I'm sure it will only grow. On that note, would love to hear some highlights of your Q&A with Javan.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Texastaco20 said:

My bad as well. I'm sorry that you had a bad day yesterday. Today will be a better day and let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We have worked hard on this project and the players who are in the community are good friends of mine. We only recruit good kids from food families, and I am proud for them to be Longhorns, regardless of what postseason results on campus may have been. I think we got off on the wrong foot, and I think we all have more in common than we think. I am happy to chat more if you'd like. Today is a new opportunity!

Hey... I kind of like this douche.

Pro tip - chill out a bit and act like you have the biggest dick in the room at all times. This is Surly. 

But actually Vince - sounds like you're killing it- if there are 50 bigger KD fans in the world I'd like to meet them. I may or may not rescind the negs I handed you. Depends on @Braff Zacklin's behavior tonight during this NT match.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But actually Vince - sounds like you're killing it- if there are 50 bigger KD fans in the world I'd like to meet them. I may or may not rescind the negs I handed you. Depends on @Braff Zacklin's behavior tonight during this NT match.

If you're basing his negs on MY behavior, then Vince is truly fucked.

In all seriousness, working late today so will probably miss the first half of the ES qualifier, but I'll definitely be watching the final 45. LFG!

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Seems like a great idea and I'm sure it will only grow. On that note, would love to hear some highlights of your Q&A with Javan.

Hey there! sorry for the late response. just got home from work. i will type up a recap of the Q&A with Javan (which was pushed back to 9:30p central). I also have a surprise visitor that will pop in tonight. Hope you had a great day!

• Hook 'Em 1