Saturday, January 29th, 2022- Rick Barnes returns. Texas hosts Tennessee

shadow_operative

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Beard is virtually always positive. He's ridiculously effusive about the fans during every press conference. EVERY press conference. It's pretty much always the first thing he brings up. I've never seen any coach talk about fans as much as Chris Beard does. He's practically going to will a strong basketball fan base into existence. He never lets up. He never deviates from his message. He also has a seemingly Svengali effect on the players where every single one parrots his message about the fans ad infinitum. Compare that to Barnes, who's almost dismissive of them. He doesn't mean anything by it, but Beard is constantly in salesman mode, while Barnes is simply trying to be genuine in his responses. Beard is who we need at Texas (not a shot at Barnes, simply compared to any other coach) because Texas needs a gifted salesman to boost fan and student participation to a higher level. He's extraordinarily passionate about it. Which you have to have. Otherwise the ennui could get to you.

We'll get to see the results of his "fan" work in Lubbock come Tuesday... that place will be nuts and will be nuts an hour before tip off and until that last person leaves. They circled this game since the day he left them...

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We'll get to see the results of his "fan" work in Lubbock come Tuesday... that place will be nuts and will be nuts an hour before tip off and until that last person leaves. They circled this game since the day he left them...

They’ve already been camping out for the game as of a few days ago. 

They’ll also likely be a huge percentage of the fans on the return trip in Austin. I wouldn’t be shocked at a 50-50 split, although I’m hoping for a 30-70/40-60. 

8 hours ago, WBT said:

It's almost like fans see what they want to see

Which is what I love about the home plate umpiring game cards in baseball. It’s a third party quantifying the number. So, as an Astros fan I can know that my team actually was fucked more than any other team in 2021 by a large margin and not wonder if I was crazy or not. 

• Haha 1

So, had responsibilities with my daughters birthday party and TiVo’d the game. Watched it in normal speed until we got up over 50 and thought- oh I doubt we even need to score again.  Watched on 1 click fast forward the last 6 minutes of game time. Then came into love just in time to see the last FT get hit and then miss. Much less frustrating game that way. Better for my mental health. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, had responsibilities with my daughters birthday party and TiVo’d the game. Watched it in normal speed until we got up over 50 and thought- oh I doubt we even need to score again.  Watched on 1 click fast forward the last 6 minutes of game time. Then came into love just in time to see the last FT get hit and then miss. Much less frustrating game that way. Better for my mental health. 

Well I was at the game and unable to break things.  It was tough.  :)

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We shot 54% for the game, held Tennessee to 35%, and somehow only won by 1 point.   The “somehow”, btw, is that we had 18 turnovers, allowed Tennessee to beat us on offensive rebounds 15 to 4 (Tennessee got 16 more shot attempts than us), and we shot 42% on FTs.

Beard’s defense seems remarkably consistent game to game, year to year, school to school, etc.   If that continues, he’s going to have a juggernaut team at some point when he gets a group that doesn’t give the other team so many extra possessions.  

those 3 are the reasons we lost ksu also,

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

on a totally different note, holy shit i have never in my life seen so many smoking hot certified slammin' hotties at a UT basketball game. shit was crazy. it was a cornucopia of slammin hotties. the recruits in the house definitely had to take notice of that. the UT hotties definitely showed out tonight. 

Worthless without pics. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

neither my dad nor i seemed to think the officiating was as one-sided as many of you did (they were fucking terrible though, that is a fact), but that 10 second call is truly one of the all time worst calls i've ever seen. it didn't mean as much, but that call was *much* more egregious than the 5 second call on Cory Joseph in 2011. it was truly an unbelievable call. a call that no professional could possibly ever make, and yet they made that call.

they actually changed the rules of CBB to make this call easier- no more waving your own stupid arm and just guessing how much time has elapsed, just look at the shot clock. keep in mind, the 10 second violation doesn't occur until the shot clock shows NINETEEN seconds. Marcus Carr passed the ball into the front court at 21.5 and they called a 10 second violation on us with the game in the balance. if there were ANY accountability for officials that dude would legitimately face a suspension for that call. that call is absolutely unacceptable.

this should absolutely be reviewable.  there is a running clock in which you can easily review.  It was a horrible call.  that and the charge when the guy has his foot on the line.

what's the point of the line if the ref misses it and you don't review it.  we review a 3 point play, OOB because of lines.  why not that?

CBB refs are basically glorified middle school refs. they suck shit through a straw and get worked over like crazy.  I like that Beard is in their ear a lot.  It works.  Our last guy had no idea how to do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this should absolutely be reviewable.  there is a running clock in which you can easily review.  It was a horrible call.  that and the charge when the guy has his foot on the line.

what's the point of the line if the ref misses it and you don't review it.  we review a 3 point play, OOB because of lines.  why not that?

CBB refs are basically glorified middle school refs. they suck shit through a straw and get worked over like crazy.  I like that Beard is in their ear a lot.  It works.  Our last guy had no idea how to do it.

College refs love to call the charge. They really are awful at it now.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

neither my dad nor i seemed to think the officiating was as one-sided as many of you did (they were fucking terrible though, that is a fact), but that 10 second call is truly one of the all time worst calls i've ever seen. it didn't mean as much, but that call was *much* more egregious than the 5 second call on Cory Joseph in 2011. it was truly an unbelievable call. a call that no professional could possibly ever make, and yet they made that call.

they actually changed the rules of CBB to make this call easier- no more waving your own stupid arm and just guessing how much time has elapsed, just look at the shot clock. keep in mind, the 10 second violation doesn't occur until the shot clock shows NINETEEN seconds. Marcus Carr passed the ball into the front court at 21.5 and they called a 10 second violation on us with the game in the balance. if there were ANY accountability for officials that dude would legitimately face a suspension for that call. that call is absolutely unacceptable.

This isn’t true.

The 10 second violation is when the clock shows 20, not 19. When the shot clock is at 20, the ball must have front court status or else it retains the same status as where is was last touched—in this case, the back court. So if the ball is in the air being passed and the shot clock hits 20, it’s a back court violation because it hasn’t touched the front court to make the balls status “change.”

I saw the call live and thought it was a tiny bit quick as our player fought the ball right at 20. 

And to further make your head explode, the ref who made that terrible 5 second call in the tournament against us was actually reffing in the game last night.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true.

The 10 second violation is when the clock shows 20, not 19. When the shot clock is at 20, the ball must have front court status or else it retains the same status as where is was last touched—in this case, the back court. So if the ball is in the air being passed and the shot clock hits 20, it’s a back court violation because it hasn’t touched the front court to make the balls status “change.”

I saw the call live and thought it was a tiny bit quick as our player fought the ball right at 20. 

And to further make your head explode, the ref who made that terrible 5 second call in the tournament against us was actually reffing in the game last night.

Do you have any insight as to why the no-charge line is not reviewable when seemingly all other in/out calls including 3 point line well after the fact are allowed?

actually I think they said only reviewable in the last 2 minutes, and this occurred at like 2:40.  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Horndog said:

There is more flopping in basketball than soccer. 

true flops are pretty rare in basketball but there are more player on player interactions. rarely do you see a guy in basketball roll around for 3 minutes like he's been shot after not being touched.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The 5 second call on Cory Joseph in 2011 was bogus.  That ref was just itching to make that call as indicated by his quick whistle.  Fuck that guy.

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true.

I view this like delay of game in football.  the back judge is supposed to look at the clock and when hits zero look at the snap.  it's why delay is not called many times when you see the clock hit zero on TV, there is a half second for the ref to move his eyes to the snap.  Also, it is one of those that if close you err on side of play on, which is what happens most of the time and what should have happened there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to the game last night and had nose bleed tickets.  Texas fans sucks.  The arena looked to be about 95% full at the end but it took close to the end of the first half to get there.  People were still filing in late into the first half.  I don't get this.  What is so hard about getting to the game on time.

2 minutes ago, Jambon said:

Went to the game last night and had nose bleed tickets.  Texas fans sucks.  The arena looked to be about 95% full at the end but it took close to the end of the first half to get there.  People were still filing in late into the first half.  I don't get this.  What is so hard about getting to the game on time.

For us, it was because the entire area is a construction zone with sidewalks that lead to nowhere.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jambon said:

It's like you've never been to Austin

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

man i'd guess 13-14,000. definitely not an actual sellout. the crowd was honestly a bit disappointing to me. this wasn't a 6pm game on a february tuesday, this was ESPN's prime time game on CBB Xmas/Rick Barnes's return. there were empty pockets of seats in every section. the atmosphere fell well short of what i had anticipated. it wasn't anything special. 

Well, it *was* a sellout.  Sellout doesn't mean every seat is filled.  

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true.

when the clock shows 20 only 9.01 seconds have elapsed, so it sounds like they need to change the rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true.

You’re probably right but idk. Using this logic, if a defensive player tips the ball out of bounds it should be out of bounds on the player who last possessed it not the defender. So every pass is a loss of possession simultaneously repossessed again. It’s stupid but ain’t no telling

Edited by A’Dam Psycho

On 1/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, ztejas said:

Negs were rescinded. Also why the fuck are we playing at 6 CST. 

Also - Vince - you better fucking treat Kevin right and have never done anything other than exactly what he wanted from you. Otherwise I may kill you. 

That was a fun weekend!! Got a big hug from Coach and talked about opening restaurants in Knoxville 

E2A19E2F-851F-4DF2-9A86-87A111A34B03.jpeg

DD873C22-513D-4302-8B1D-84243489A109.jpeg

1598F380-29EF-41B9-A97A-0CDFAB8453DD.jpeg

46F23D59-BE18-4B89-9D67-8639E9CDCA5C.jpeg

98C7515F-7F8C-4669-A21A-1EE82F9A793B.jpeg

7373CC49-145A-4AD3-8104-03535B120A2D.jpeg

A10130B4-5929-434B-9E7E-E7FA61F5A14B.jpeg

C94A0BBF-F438-409C-A018-9895878707F1.jpeg

544B470B-BEF8-4E28-B708-8377EC278910.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You’re probably right but idk. Using this logic, if a defensive player tips the ball out of bounds it should be out of bounds on the player who last possessed it not the defender. So every pass is a loss of possession simultaneously repossessed again. It’s stupid but ain’t no telling

You do realize there’s always been a rule on Team Control, right.

A tip doesn’t constitute control. It never has. Why do you think if the defense tips the ball into the backcourt and the offense gets it, it’s not a backcourt violation? 

This has been the rule for decades.

And no. A pass isn’t a loss of possession. 

I live in DFW so had not been to a game at FEC in quite a long time. (Have hit some TCU and even Baylor road games)

Good to see the same “stupid” afflicts the basketball game presentation as the football one.

Tennessee on massive run and has closed what was once a 17 point lead to 6 points with a timeout at 2:57 left in the game.

FEC Event Presentation: “Well it says here on the run sheet this is where we crank up the Sweet Caroline sing along”

Me thinking, “yea this is what the team needs from the crowd to get them fired up and refocused; a half-assed sing along of a song with 0.0 connection to our program by a collection of olds and Gen Z dorks”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the ten seconds hasn't passed until the 20 turns to 19. just think about PJ Tucker's winner vs Providence. 

the clock starts at 30 which is 30.0 and when 20 shows it is 20.0.  its not 9.01, it's 10 sec.  the clock shows 20 but is counting down 19.9/19.8/19.7 etc and doesn't flip to 19 until it is 19.0.

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the clock starts at 30 which is 30.0 and when 20 shows it is 20.0.  its not 9.01, it's 10 sec.  the clock shows 20 but is counting down 19.9/19.8/19.7 etc and doesn't flip to 19 until it is 19.0.

dude- when the clock shows 20 it's at 20 seconds and nine tenths of a second. the full 10 seconds has not elapsed until that nine tenths if a second has elapsed, at which point you can see the 19. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

dude- when the clock shows 20 it's at 20 seconds and nine tenths of a second. the full 10 seconds has not elapsed until that nine tenths if a second has elapsed, at which point you can see the 19. 

when the clock shows 30 is it at 30.9 or 30.0?

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right. when the clock hits 21 is it 21.0 or 21.9?

the moment you see every number EXCEPT FOR 30, the clock is at that number +.99. when the clock shows 20, another full 0.99 seconds has to expire before its been 10 full seconds. end of discussion. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Just now, shadow_operative said:

the moment you see every number EXCEPT FOR 30, the clock is at that number +.99. when the clock shows 20, another full 0.99 seconds has to expire before its 10 full seconds. end of discussion. 

no when the clock hits 20 it is 20.0

if the clock starts at 30.0 it runs for a second and hits 29 which is 29.0.

you don't know what you are talking about.