Hard to believe it was 17 years ago today

tbone_

RIP my friend

Pretty sure I saw the show they did in Tempe the day they did that Krank video. Was in a meeting with My companies CEO next morning at 9am. Thank god I didn’t have to talk. I couldn’t hear anything.

Walk on home, boy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I never did see him live, which I regret.

I was active on another site at the time, and I remember some assholes on there were like “so some hair metal guitarist died, who cares.” I gave them some suggested tracks out of Dime’s catalog and more than a couple came back and said “holy shit.”

I was just thinking about Dime the other day. I’m not sure it was ever in the cards for him to live long, but he certainly shouldn’t have gone out on someone else’s terms. Fuck that guy forever and RIP Dime.

This is the song that made me think about it:

Getcha pull!

They were defiantly a force to be reckoned with live.

The thing that’s always struck me about this incident is how unheard of is has been for something like this to happen (guy jumping on stage and shooting performer/crew) and how little discussion ensued as a result. Obviously when the stones plays football stadium there’s all kinds of security. But the vast majority of music shows over the decades have been just people watching performers in often a somewhat intimate space. I would venture to say that setup is even considered sacred by many. And to have that violated in the way it was was just so incredibly horrific to me. And surprising that it didn’t generate more discussion. But then I guess it’s just naive to be surprised by anything any more.

On top of all that he was genuinely probably the nicest actual rockstar ever. And he wasn’t the only victim on that stage either.

Just an unbelievably senseless tragedy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I never did see him live, which I regret.

I was active on another site at the time, and I remember some assholes on there were like “so some hair metal guitarist died, who cares.” I gave them some suggested tracks out of Dime’s catalog and more than a couple came back and said “holy shit.”

I was just thinking about Dime the other day. I’m not sure it was ever in the cards for him to live long, but he certainly shouldn’t have gone out on someone else’s terms. Fuck that guy forever and RIP Dime.

This is the song that made me think about it:

Getcha pull!

Met Dime and all the band at their warmup gig (billed as Cowboys from Hell) at The Back Room before the release of Far Beyond Driven.  Dime was the coolest celebrity I've ever met, and Vinnie would probably be a close 2nd. RIP to both Abbott bros

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

They were defiantly a force to be reckoned with live.

The thing that’s always struck me about this incident is how unheard of is has been for something like this to happen (guy jumping on stage and shooting performer/crew) and how little discussion ensued as a result. Obviously when the stones plays football stadium there’s all kinds of security. But the vast majority of music shows over the decades have been just people watching performers in often a somewhat intimate space. I would venture to say that setup is even considered sacred by many. And to have that violated in the way it was was just so incredibly horrific to me. And surprising that it didn’t generate more discussion. But then I guess it’s just naive to be surprised by anything any more.

On top of all that he was genuinely probably the nicest actual rockstar ever. And he wasn’t the only victim on that stage either.

Just an unbelievably senseless tragedy.

Almost exactly 2 years after this happened I went to see Zakk Wylde and BLS at the Granada Theater on Greenville sometime in mid November 2006 and was shocked at the complete lack of security and checking for weapons as we walked in. It was just shrugged off as a one off tragedy and no changes were made. 

Vinny Paul jumped on the kit for a couple of songs that night. 

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Almost exactly 2 years after this happened I went to see Zakk Wylde and BLS at the Granada Theater on Greenville sometime in mid November 2006 and was shocked at the complete lack of security and checking for weapons as we walked in. It was just shrugged off as a one off tragedy and no changes were made. 

Vinny Paul jumped on the kit for a couple of songs that night. 

For probably a year after it happened security was way more strict at concerts, at least in Austin. There was a metal detector wand at every entrance. That didn't last very long though. 

My Dad and his dad were friends.  My Dad had been managing some bands after getting out of playing every weekend.  He went to see a very early version of Pantera  upon request of his friend, to possibly manage them.  I wanted to go, but that was nixed.  My Dad said they were great, but he knew country, not rock and said they'd be better served with someone else.  I still have a couple copies of this record he picked up:

PanteraMetalMagic.jpg

Wish I would've seen them at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1