The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, USCATX said:

Since my wife is the best I now have my first new revolver in over a decade.  This 460 will be my Alaska bear gun so I can quit borrowing my BIL’s 44.  But since everything is terrible I’m waiting a week to get ammo unless I luck into some locally in Austin.  My plan is to start with some 45 colt and work up to the real deal before practicing on a whitetail from my tree stand. 

FD9B3584-E9F4-431D-AFD0-A6D436464717.jpeg

That looks light and fun to carry while hiking....;)

410a1c2aa2cca03b77025540983c447e.gif

On 12/25/2020 at 9:34 PM, USCATX said:

Since my wife is the best I now have my first new revolver in over a decade.  This 460 will be my Alaska bear gun so I can quit borrowing my BIL’s 44.  But since everything is terrible I’m waiting a week to get ammo unless I luck into some locally in Austin.  My plan is to start with some 45 colt and work up to the real deal before practicing on a whitetail from my tree stand. 

FD9B3584-E9F4-431D-AFD0-A6D436464717.jpeg

Let me know how it feels when you put the real deal in it.  Looking at similar for hiking in grizzly country. 
a guy I worked with took down a small moose with one of those. Didn’t want to waste his tag, and thought he might get the state record for moose with a handgun.  It had a scope, and he showed up for work the next week with a black eye. 

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I think it’s chest carry all the way, and I’d get it in a shorter barrel both for weight savings and so I’m less likely to get it hung up in the holster when a bear is coming at me. 

boys are 11 and got your good old red Ryders for Christmas. Told them it’s their intro to gun safety and they need to treat them like real guns, and when they do so safely they can have some time with the real deal. Took them out to shoot cans and a milk jug filled with water and they loved it. Also brought the Glock and mossberg since they hadn’t been around any guns and in between their shooting, I put 40 rounds through the 9 and 6 birdshot shells so they could see and hear. Offered them both the chance to shoot one round off the Glock, only one took me up on it.  He retrieved the brass as a souvenir. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

boys are 11 and got your good old red Ryders for Christmas.

Awesome.  Did the same years back.  When in the truck and to/from the blind, I made them carry it and treat it 100% as they would a rifle.  We stacked and stored with the other guns as well - including keeping it in the safe to stress this was a real, important tool worthy of the utmost respect.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ha, I’ve been bluff charged before on Admiralty Island carrying a 10lb BAR in 300 win mag and I was still scared out of my mind.  I’m more concerned about not dying than how much it weighs.  This is still more portable than a rifle or shotgun.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

For bear country experiences, I suggest the "Meateater - Afognack island" 2-part episode.  Especially on how quickly and quietly they can and do move.  Wild listen.  And they all had pistols (spoiler - nobody died, but still wild).  

I might give it a listen.  They are crazy sneaky when they want to be and they have a habit of circling you to get downwind and smell you, which is creepy.  But don’t listen to anybody who tells you they can run quietly.  I’ve been around them most of my adult life and they sound like a heard of elephants when they’re running.  They are generally pretty loud when they’re not trying to be quiet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

I might give it a listen.  They are crazy sneaky when they want to be and they have a habit of circling you to get downwind and smell you, which is creepy.  But don’t listen to anybody who tells you they can run quietly.  I’ve been around them most of my adult life and they sound like a heard of elephants when they’re running.  They are generally pretty loud when they’re not trying to be quiet.  

It blew my mind.  I'm a huge Steve Rinella fan, and this was the best two episodes ever.  His point, they stopped, had guns out and on their packs, and it was still not fast enough.  He likened it to being in a combat zone in terms of having options readily available.  Absolutely nuts.  

15 hours ago, USCATX said:

Wyoming game and fish I believe put out some study that our bears stalk hunters to steal their quarry, and run to gunshots because they know it might mean a free deer or elk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wyoming game and fish I believe put out some study that our bears stalk hunters to steal their quarry, and run to gunshots because they know it might mean a free deer or elk. 

Not to spoil it too much, but this is what happened essentially as the weather forced them to quickly quarter the animal and hang it up, and the bear had moved in unbenounced to the hunters returning the second day.  Won't spoil how it all went down, but simply amazing to hear them talk about how fast and violently it all went down.  Monsters are real.  We just call them "bears".  

Rinella had a historian on one episode, and this guy explained a theory that the massive "short-faced bear" was so large, fast, and ferocious, that it prevented/delayed human migration across it's territory for thousands of years.  

They were not just massive, but apparently faster than any modern bear with their very long limbs and 100% carnivore

d2fc73041d388cf95bdb95cb55c13bc3.jpg

While up in Alaska last year we asked about hunting and such while we were near Kodiak island.

They were talking about Bears being drawn to gunshots rather quickly.

They said wolves will often grow accustomed to humans as well and move in right away when gunshots are heard.

55 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

They were talking about Bears being drawn to gunshots rather quickly.

They said wolves will often grow accustomed to humans as well and move in right away when gunshots are heard.

Coyotes "investigate" gun shots in areas where they get used to hunters and gut piles.

I need a shotgun.

Tldr
My 14 yr old computer nerd has taken to firearms. He's a great shot. Had a great time shooting my wby 7mm and. 306 and my handguns . At my buddies ranch he went 19/20 on skeet and loved it. It's the only thing outside I can get him to do Bought him a Yildis 12 for Christmas. I am RH but I'm blind in my right eye so I have to shoot left. Finding a LH semi or pump is impossible so I've decided to get an O/U. I am willing to spend up to $1500. Go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I need a shotgun.

Tldr
My 14 yr old computer nerd has taken to firearms. He's a great shot. Had a great time shooting my wby 7mm and. 306 and my handguns . At my buddies ranch he went 19/20 on skeet and loved it. It's the only thing outside I can get him to do Bought him a Yildis 12 for Christmas. I am RH but I'm blind in my right eye so I have to shoot left. Finding a LH semi or pump is impossible so I've decided to get an O/U. I am willing to spend up to $1500. Go

Search hard enough and you could probably find a LH O/U for $1500, but it would be hard to find something without issues. 

I'd recommend buying a quality used RH Beretta or Browning (Citori) for $1500 and then spending another $500 to have the stock bent to more cast-on (left handed). Slightly more than you want to spend but probably better value in the long run. Then again, you might be able to find something new LH for $2,000 from Cole or Joel Etchen. 

That said, there are plenty of LH 12 gauge automatics out there right around your price range:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=left-handed&Sort=13

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

I'm left handed and never had a problem shooting a right handed shotgun. Instead of a single $1500 shotgun, get three $500 shotguns.

Yeah I’m the same. All of my shotguns are right handed and I’ve never had an issue with them. Unlike my right handed rifles, they’re easier to operate than I think the left handed versions are.
  • Like 1

I love my Galco Holsters.  Great leather, and take just a LITTLE bit of break in.  Little break in until I got this:

FL472_SW_MP_40_front_OL_1500x1500.jpg

Said it works for Springfield XD 9, 40 and 45.  Well, it'll work fine for the (slightly wider) XD45 once I get it broke in.  As it is, it's too tight, and the draw just doesn't work.  So what's my play here?  Lotsa leather conditioner/oil?

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I love my Galco Holsters.  Great leather, and take just a LITTLE bit of break in.  Little break in until I got this:

Said it works for Springfield XD 9, 40 and 45.  Well, it'll work fine for the (slightly wider) XD45 once I get it broke in.  As it is, it's too tight, and the draw just doesn't work.  So what's my play here?  Lotsa leather conditioner/oil?

Do you think you could find a shoe spreader that would fit in it?

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Wrap your gun in plastic wrap. Not too thick, but thick enough to keep water out. Dunk the holster in warm water for a few seconds, let it drip dry for a few more, and insert gun. Use some sort of smooth wooden or plastic utensil to help form the leather to the nooks and crannies of your gun. More forming will mean more retention, so go by feel since it has a snap and is already too tight. Let it dry for a couple hours before removing the gun and oiling it or whatever to to make sure it stays dry. Let the leather finish drying for a day or two and then oil it.

This is what I do when making holsters and it works well. You want to get enough plastic wrap so that it doesn't rip and let water in when you insert the gun, but not so much that it stretches the leather too much. The leather will shrink just a bit as it finishes drying, so you should end up with a nice snug fit. Obviously unload the the gun and stuff before hand, and you might want to tape a piece of dowel rod trimmed down or even a cut up section of a wooden pencil behind the front sight so that it leaves a clean channel for the sight to clear the holster.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wrap your gun in plastic wrap. Not too thick, but thick enough to keep water out. Dunk the holster in warm water for a few seconds, let it drip dry for a few more, and insert gun. Use some sort of smooth wooden or plastic utensil to help form the leather to the nooks and crannies of your gun. More forming will mean more retention, so go by feel since it has a snap and is already too tight. Let it dry for a couple hours before removing the gun and oiling it or whatever to to make sure it stays dry. Let the leather finish drying for a day or two and then oil it.
This is what I do when making holsters and it works well. You want to get enough plastic wrap so that it doesn't rip and let water in when you insert the gun, but not so much that it stretches the leather too much. The leather will shrink just a bit as it finishes drying, so you should end up with a nice snug fit. Obviously unload the the gun and stuff before hand, and you might want to tape a piece of dowel rod trimmed down or even a cut up section of a wooden pencil behind the front sight so that it leaves a clean channel for the sight to clear the holster.
I like that. I have an old beater XD45 I can use, just to be safe. And I don't mind if the holster overstretches, as I have the thumb break.

How much chance the leather will be discolored?

On 1/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, midtown said:

I need a shotgun.

Tldr

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/beretta-a400-xplor-action-12-gauge-semiautomatic-shotgun-left-handed

On 1/2/2021 at 11:32 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Search hard enough and you could probably find a LH O/U for $1500, but it would be hard to find something without issues. 

I'd recommend buying a quality used RH Beretta or Browning (Citori) for $1500 and then spending another $500 to have the stock bent to more cast-on (left handed). Slightly more than you want to spend but probably better value in the long run. Then again, you might be able to find something new LH for $2,000 from Cole or Joel Etchen. 

That said, there are plenty of LH 12 gauge automatics out there right around your price range:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=left-handed&Sort=13

Good advice. However, there are several older O/Us that have no cast at all, like a Browning Superposed. I've been told that Franchi sells O/Us without cast as well. 

KelTec has introduced a Model P50 pistol, which uses FN90 mags (50 rounds of 5.7x28).

It's "interesting" to say the least....ugly but interesting.  What's intriguing to me is that it appears the industry is looking at ways to use magazines in the horizontal position.

If a stock could be fitted to make this an SBR, it would make sense to me as a carbine.  I looks like they may have that planned; using some sort of a wire butt stock.  The groves in front of the trigger guard "look" like an intentional design for an under-folder to lock in place.

keltec-p50-left.thumb.jpg.e21dec2b3e44953aed2240c6b5c4fb5b.jpg

Edited by Reagan1k

I love me some Keltec / Grendel space guns.  I passed on their new 33round 22lr pistol the other day and immediately regretted it when I saw they make a sidefolding brace for it.  Their CMR30 is a blast to varmint hunt and plink with.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow.
Reading some of the comments in Daily Texan regarding what to do with protesters (shoot them, shoot them all, anyone voting Republican in any way since 2016, you are complicit, + many more of the same) in the Capital today makes me realize I don’t need worry about far away Antifa assholes, but much more likely from a lot of assholes locally here and on this site.
Better buy your ammo while you still can.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

KelTec has introduced a Model P50 pistol, which uses FN90 mags (50 rounds of 5.7x28).
It's "interesting" to say the least....ugly but interesting.  What's intriguing to me is that it appears the industry is looking at ways to use magazines in the horizontal position.
If a stock could be fitted to make this an SBR, it would make sense to me as a carbine.  I looks like they may have that planned; using some sort of a wire butt stock.  The groves in front of the trigger guard "look" like an intentional design for an under-folder to lock in place.
keltec-p50-left.thumb.jpg.e21dec2b3e44953aed2240c6b5c4fb5b.jpg
Shut up and take my money.
Wow.
Reading some of the comments in Daily Texan regarding what to do with protesters (shoot them, shoot them all, anyone voting Republican in any way since 2016, you are complicit, + many more of the same) in the Capital today makes me realize I don’t need worry about far away Antifa assholes, but much more likely from a lot of assholes locally here and on this site.
Better buy your ammo while you still can.
So it looks like 30 cent 223 ain't gonna happen soon?

There are people on this site that would gladly load you on a train car bound for an extermination camp for being conservative and thinking differently than they do. Glad most of them stick to the cR.

Yes....pretty much their comments.
I stay out of CR mainly because of that. I think the topic got put there because of all the craziness, but when I read it first, it was posted on Daily Texan.
I’ve been on this and the other sites since HornFans, but just now realizing over the last 10 months of how I am definitely in the minority and also of how many loony tunes (tolerant left) there are here. Even bleeds into the Football and Baseball ️ boards waaaay to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes....pretty much their comments.
I stay out of CR mainly because of that. I think the topic got put there because of all the craziness, but when I read it first, it was posted on Daily Texan.
I’ve been on this and the other sites since HornFans, but just now realizing over the last 10 months of how I am definitely in the minority and also of how many loony tunes (tolerant left) there are here. Even bleeds into the Football emoji458.png and Baseball emoji461.png️ boards waaaay to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re all pussies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1