The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How much do you really know about DD's?  Are you advocating for a similar civilian processing and vetting program to qualify someone for an ERPO as does the military for processing a DD?  For starters, one has a defined due process and one does not.  

No, they both have due process. I don't know where you get the idea they don't.  I hear NRA-despite-everything-wrong-with-Wayne types repeat it a lot, but that doesn't make it true. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

OK - I'll bite.  I normally don't get drawn into these discussions but here is my view.

Universal Background Checks are ostensibly proposed to prevent criminals or someone who otherwise couldn't buy a firearm from doing so via a private party transaction.  (Gun show parking lots, chat rooms, classifieds, etc.) 

If I believed that was end game, I would have minimal concern over it.  What does concern me is that I do not think the gun control lobby simply wants to prevent criminals from buying weapons. 

A large percentage of that lobby want to stop or severely handicap the ability for anyone to buy or own a weapon.  UBCs would be a 1st step and they would not stop there.  There would be no appeasing that appetite.

Given an inch, I believe they would want to take a mile, and that could spill over into numerous areas of infringement such as loaning a gun on a hunting trip, passing them down to an heir, etc. 

A UBC would tie a serial number on a 4473 to the buyer and the seller - just as it does through your FFL.  If required for a period of decades, it would in effect create a pseudo registry for any owner who followed the law - and therefore sets the stage for discussions on confiscation.

It simply won't stop, and compromise on something like a UBC won't lead to finding a common ground on which there could be agreement and a "truce".

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, they both have due process. I don't know where you get the idea they don't.  I hear NRA-despite-everything-wrong-with-Wayne types repeat it a lot, but that doesn't make it true. 

And yet only one allows that a person be given an opportunity to be heard before the deprivation of a protected interest may occur.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

A UBC would tie a serial number on a 4473 to the buyer and the seller - just as it does through your FFL.  If required for a period of decades, it would in effect create a pseudo registry for any owner who followed the law - and therefore sets the stage for discussions on confiscation.

Yep

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And yet only one allows that a person be given an opportunity to be heard before the deprivation of a protected interest may occur.  

I'm not sure why you think they don't have an opportunity to be heard, but either way you concede that there's due process, you just don't like what it is. 

Let me tell you about my uncle Tommy. He was in a great deal of pain, and he was increasingly erratic and isolated. His quality of life was poor, and he kept my aunt and my grandmother on eggshells. He refused help of any kind, and because he hadn't tried to harm anybody yet, even though he had talked about it plenty,  there was nothing the authorities could do. When he shot himself he made a point to have witnesses. For the fun of it. 

What you're saying is exactly the problem with our mental health "system." It treats those in need to crisis intervention as if they were rational actors. That's the problem. We need to asses if they are, and then act in their interests if they aren't. 

And if this were a person walking around with Ebola rather than the combination of  PTSD + drug addiction + pain disorder + .357 I bet you wouldn't be so precious about the whole thing. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Like I said, some do, and some don't. It varies by jurisdiction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yes but that happens all the time (like when you are arrested). There's a balance between the exigency of the circumstance and the interest in predeprivation process. 

The real devil is in the details here. Everything that happens AFTER the petition is heard ex parte is what the concern should be. I'm not trying to be condescending, but "ex parte" is just lawyer talk for "only one side is heard." 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So let me get this straight, @Reagan1k. You aren't against universal background checks, you're worried that passing reasonable measures that even you don't have a problem with would empower the "gun control lobby". Do I have that right? 

Passing reasonable measures would be reasonable if that’s where it stopped.

I don’t have any faith that more “reasonable measures” wouldn’t quickly follow in their long game approach.

One side is playing checkers and the other is playing chess.  Their actions speak louder than their talk of reasonable compromise.

Just a old guy’ experience and observations.  I could be wrong and UBCs satiate everyone and we all sing camp fire songs and the controversy goes away.

Do you think UBCs would put an end to other gun control efforts? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

No.  I just learned about that a week or so ago.  I wasn't exactly paying attention at the time.  More worried with school and had Rita barreling right up my ass.  

Well, look what the government does to the citizens in times of distress when some of them want to be left alone and protect themselves...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What an insufferable cunt you are @Bozo_Casanova.  Did you get tired of the Cloak Room circle jerk?  Go back there and argue about this shit.

Meh.  This discussion is happening because it isn’t in the CR. No discussion there.  We just need to mix in a few upside down pics of Ruger revolvers. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sure - ATF Form 1 is an application to make and register a firearm. So, you file a Form 1, ATF approves it, and then you buy a set of parts and build yourself a gun or suppressor from a kit you can buy with an approved Form 1. The advantage, supposedly, is that the turnaround is much faster than the turnaround to file a Form 4 and take delivery of a completed suppressor, like a couple of weeks compared to as much as a year. 

Forgive me for appearing obtuse...but what is the question? Are you trying to get confirmation of timing for a Form 1 vs Form 4? 

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

What an insufferable cunt you are @Bozo_Casanova.  Did you get tired of the Cloak Room circle jerk?  Go back there and argue about this shit.

I was trying to talk about doing a Form 1 silencer build, but people wanted to wet the bed about the gun grabbers like a bunch of suckers and I don't need more people hoarding ammo and driving up prices. 

That being said, I don't recall seeing you on this thread. Which one are you again? 

18 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Forgive me for appearing obtuse...but what is the question? Are you trying to get confirmation of timing for a Form 1 vs Form 4? 

Two parts - the timing (addressed above) and the performance/safety of a homebuilt suppressor vs midrange commercial. 

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Passing reasonable measures would be reasonable if that’s where it stopped.

I don’t have any faith that more “reasonable measures” wouldn’t quickly follow in their long game approach.

One side is playing checkers and the other is playing chess.  Their actions speak louder than their talk of reasonable compromise.

Just a old guy’ experience and observations.  I could be wrong and UBCs satiate everyone and we all sing camp fire songs and the controversy goes away.

Do you think UBCs would put an end to other gun control efforts? 

But they don't act in a vacuum. Gun grabbers exist. 2A absolutists and sovereign citizens exist, and are equally out of the mainstream of what's possible, despite being crucial parts of their respective coalitions. And they are both playing checkers, and paranoid gun owners hoarding ammo are eating the pieces. It doesn't matter what those groups want. It only matters what they can get done.

it's good news! The slope is not slippery. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I can tell you this after shooting it a half dozen times at paper targets, that is not a "fun" way to go.

I remember thinking, after my grandad told me that Edgar had only shot it 8 times, "What the fuck was wrong with that dude?"

After maybe my 3rd shot at the range, I understood.  Going back to my .308 felt like shooting a .22LR.

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Two parts - the timing (addressed above) and the performance/safety of a homebuilt suppressor vs midrange commercial. 

Roger. My Form 1 (sbir) was roughly the same as my Form 4s...no discernible difference. Not certain if that is true for all or if the processes have changed since I got mine.

No experience with a home built, but I wouldn’t mess with it. The designs are getting pretty sophisticated now...curious how you could even get close to the precision of the build dimensions at home without some serious cnc machinery and TIG with jigs. YMMV.

I mean, for basically a $200 plus a few parts a form 1 would be pretty fun. You won't get the greatest results, but you can probably get some pretty good ones. Supposedly it is pretty easy to make one using freeze plugs and threaded aluminum or tubes. It would be a fun project and a learning experience, and still give you something serviceable enough. If you are the type who likes to tinker, I say go for it. There are a lot of resources out there from folks who have done it, so you don't necessarily have to go in blind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit.  over 3 pages straight of politics in the fucking gun owners thread. Are you all afraid of taking the politics to the politics board or something? Damn thread is being overrun with conspiracy theories.

Pos rep to the Scope post and the Model 70 post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Holy shit.  over 3 pages straight of politics in the fucking gun owners thread. Are you all afraid of taking the politics to the politics board or something? Damn thread is being overrun with conspiracy theories.

I post pictures of my guns in this thread.  I mean, I thought that’s what it was for.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I was trying to talk about doing a Form 1 silencer build, but people wanted to wet the bed about the gun grabbers like a bunch of suckers and I don't need more people hoarding ammo and driving up prices. 

That being said, I don't recall seeing you on this thread. Which one are you again? 

I posted my picture in the thread you twit.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

There hasn't been shit wrong with it.  No one even accused the other side of jacking off over dead kids, like you'll get in the CR.  

Can anyone recommend a good great stock guy?  I've got one I want to put around a custom 70 build, but it's completely clean - no checkering, pad, or cap.  Budget is what you'd expect for a custom gun.  Texas preferred.  Actually I've got a few I need to do some things with.  

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

Fuck it, I'm bored.

*CSB warning*

About 30 years ago my grandfather gave me this rifle.  All he told me was that his brother had bought it way back to go on an African safari and then ended up never taking the trip, so the weapon just sat in its box under his bed for who knows how many years until the brother (Edgar) died.  Grandaddy ended up w/it, never shot it, knew I hunted a lot, so he passed it on to me.

About a month after he gave it to me I was invited to hunt a good friend's ranch down in Dimmit Co.  Big time hunters, killed every animal (just about) in every country around the world, uber knowledgable about guns, all of that.  Out on the enclosed room off the front patio was where all the hunters there would leave their rifles, just leaning against an old couch.  I put my usual rig there (a .308 Mohawk) and leaned this new inheritance right next to it, figuring I might have a chance to fire it once or twice.

As we're all sitting around shooting the shit, my friend's older brother comes in and interupts the conversation (out of everyone there this dude knows more about guns than anyone I've ever known and had an FFL).  It almost looked like he was pissed when he asked, "Whose Pre-64 Model 70 is that out there?"  I sheepishly answered, "Uh, it's mine Herb".  He says to me, "Come with me!" and we walk back to where the gun was.  He says as he picks up the rifle looking it over like a jeweler examines a diamond ring, "Are you going to hunt with this?" and I respond by explaining pretty much what I just typed up top.

Herb shakes his head, hands me the rifle and says, "That is a mint condition Pre-64 Model 70 .338 Winchester Magnum.  Do yourself a favor, put it up, take great care of it, and for God's sake don't alter it in any way!  

So, from that day on, it's been in a case unaltered.  I think I've put maybe 6 rounds through it and my Grandfather told me his brother shot it 8 times.  Anyway, like I said., CSB, but I figured some of you afficianado's would appreciate the rifle and the story.  Had Herb not come at me that night I'd probably have a night vision scope and some curb feelers on the thing.  Not a clue what I had...

FullSizeRender-3.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2271.jpeg

FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

@Cajun  that’s a cool piece of history right there!  Thanks for sharing.  I’m drooling.  Would love to own that model myself.  That chambering is on my bucket list along with the .375 H&H for my Pre-64 stash.

Here’s a bit of history for you courtesy of Justin Hale at Pre64Win.com.

The history of the .338 "Alaskan" model 70 is as unique as the chambering itself. Winchester developed the .338 WM cartridge in 1958, being tailor-made for use in the model 70. In mid-1959, Winchester introduced the .338 chambering for the model 70 with a new and unique 25" barrel, announcing it to the world in mid-year flier that designated the rifle an “Alaskan” model. Other than the new chambering and the 25" barrel, there was nothing unique about this new "Alaskan" model to distinguish it from any other Sporter rifle. When the 1960 catalog came out, the term "Alaskan" was also applied to the only other 25" barrel model 70 - the .375 H&H. Eventually, in 1963, the .300 WM chambering was introduced and also given the "Alaskan" designation, completing this unique subset of model 70 rifles. Students of the model 70 have debated for years exactly what the "Alaskan" designation means - whether it was tied to the unique barrel lengths (magnums at 24"-25"), or for something else. One thing is certain, Winchester was looking to make money: the Alaskan designation came with a $10 price increase for the .375 in 1960 and $10 higher pricing for the .338 WM and .300 WM, even though there was no real distinguishing features to these rifles beyond the barrel length and chambering. Whatever Winchester's thinking at the time, it has created a uniquely sought after group of rifles which carry the special moniker "The Alaskans". Roger Rule covers this topic in some additional detail on page 231 of his superb book.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks Reagan, I've been on that site but hadn't seen that write-up. 

Btw, seconded on the desire for this model in a .375 H&H.  You shoulda seen the collection of original Holland & Holland rifles Herb, his brother, and dad had.  

If you look on the right hand side of their living room you'll see some large wooden cabinets.  Inside those doors were probably over a dozen authentic H&H's of all calibers, including a .465 that I recall being able to put my index finger down the barrel.  They offered to let me shoot it on kind of a dare.  Almost like taking the 72 oz steak challenge at The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo.  

2nd pic is same room - just another set of some of the badassery that they had collected.

Image 2-4-21 at 8.01 AM.jpeg

Image 2-4-21 at 8.10 AM.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Btw, seconded on the desire for this model in a .375 H&H.  You shoulda seen the collection of original Holland & Holland rifles Herb, his brother, and dad had.  

If you look on the right hand side of their living room you'll see some large wooden cabinets.  Inside those doors were probably over a dozen authentic H&H's of all calibers, including a .465 that I recall being able to put my index finger down the barrel.  They offered to let me shoot it on kind of a dare.  Almost like taking the 72 oz steak challenge at The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo.  

2nd pic is same room - just another set of some of the badassery that they had collected.

Goddamn, photo-bombing goat.  Outta' the way!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There hasn't been shit wrong with it.  No one even accused the other side of jacking off over dead kids, like you'll get in the CR.  

Can anyone recommend a good great stock guy?  I've got one I want to put around a custom 70 build, but it's completely clean - no checkering, pad, or cap.  Budget is what you'd expect for a custom gun.  Texas preferred.  Actually I've got a few I need to do some things with.  

If you are local, you can make a call to the guys @ Hill Country Rifles.  They make high-end rigs, most with composite stocks (as they are the most requested), but if anyone has good hookups, it's them.  

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Image 2-4-21 at 8.01 AM.jpeg

Those pics bring back some memories.  Haven't been to his house in probably 30 years.  I'm convinced there's a secret room where the Bushmen, Zulus, Maasai, etc are located.  Kidding.

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Justin at Pre64win.com posted about a rifle earlier this week; almost identical to yours and it will be up for sale Friday I believe.  Would be a good measuring stick for you to determine valve.

He's also finishing up some work on a .458 that he'll offer soon.  That's quite the valuable heirloom and investment you have there.

Have you dated yours by serial number?  Model 70 serial # look-up

I'd certainly make sure to have that one appraised and scheduled on insurance, god forbid something ever happen.  That's no run of the mill rifle.

Oh, they are there.  I was invited into one secret room with a big ass walk-in vault that had, among many impressive things, over $300k cash in different currencies, and a diamond encrusted Big Horn Sheep's head Bolo Tie with rubies for eyes that was valued in the 6 figures.

Crazy shit. 

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

Justin at Pre64win.com posted about a rifle earlier this week; almost identical to yours and it will be up for sale Friday I believe.  Would be a good measuring stick for you to determine valve.

He's also finishing up some work on a .458 that he'll offer soon.  That's quite the valuable heirloom and investment you have there.

I'd certainly make sure to have that one appraised and scheduled on insurance, god forbid something ever happen.  That's no run of the mill rifle.

No, I haven't looked it up, but will as soon as I get my kid to school.  Will report back.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If the 70 action is pre-64 Justin Hale in WA will do stock work.  He'll also blueprint and true the action, pillar bed, accurize,  jewel, etc. If you want something more than he would do on the stock itself, he can recommend someone for the cosmetics and then still do the proper fitting.

I probably sound like a paid endorser for him, but his meticulous attention to detail and pride in his work is beyond incredible.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Here's what came back after entering the SN -

Image 2-4-21 at 8.52 AM.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Roger. My Form 1 (sbir) was roughly the same as my Form 4s...no discernible difference. Not certain if that is true for all or if the processes have changed since I got mine.

No experience with a home built, but I wouldn’t mess with it. The designs are getting pretty sophisticated now...curious how you could even get close to the precision of the build dimensions at home without some serious cnc machinery and TIG with jigs. YMMV.

There are a bunch of drill one hole and engrave Form 1 suppressor kits out on the market.  All you need to do is chuck up one end in the vice of a drill press and drill out the end opposite from the threaded end.  All the internal baffles are already there.  Pretty much the same as an 80% lower except you should have a trust and approved form 1 before you do it.  Google solvent trap and you'll find tons of kits for sale.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'm not studied enough to know what that tells me.

All this talk has me thinking I need to send ole Herb a box of cigars for doing me a solid 3 decades ago with his "intervention".

Well, the .338 was introduced in '58 and put in the 70 action in 59, so yours was a relatively newfangled chambering made in '60 and is now an absolute classic piece of rifle history.

PS - That Mohawk is a kick-ass rifle as well.  I've been looking for one myself.  Such a cool little retro-rifle.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I just got this "holster." A belt hook, actually. I love it. Totally minimalist, but comfortable so long as you don't carry it at 3 o'clock (on top of your hip bone.) It's real tight on retention, and I like that. Just train yourself to jerk it hard when you whip it out.

I feel like the vast majority of posters on this forum have trained themselves extensively to jerk it.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1268733528_Image2-4-21at8_01AM.thumb.jpeg.f6904f4b472648816f84e3baf0ec30ee.jpeg
1120622315_Image2-4-21at8_10AM.thumb.jpeg.27f866d5a37557283e937ec81be185d4.jpeg

These pictures are great. They remind me of my first case when I came back to Texas.

We had a african leopard who’s tag was from way back in the day and was permanently assigned to Texas. Yada yada yada, the defendant tried to say it was this old Dallas couples mount. We bring in the surviving widow and she provided photos of their highland park house which looked like that. She testified in court about her husbands hunts etc and was able to tell the court that this leopard was not her husbands and could go down each spot and ear etc listing the differences. When we asked her how she was sure, she said “I had to look at all those damned animals every day in my living room!”

It was funny.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I have a .243 Mohawk.  It is a deer killing machine.   Mine is bastardized.  Suppressed and a 30mm tube scope. 

A Mohawk or Rem 788 in either .243 or 6mm would be the quintessential Texas working man's deer rifle of the 70's.

They just flat shoot where you hold them.  Both have also seen a huge increase in demand on the resale market lately.

I guess we gravitate back to our roots when we get tired of flashy and new.