The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Haven't seen this posted but has anyone seen another bill named HB 957 ?

Suppressor Freedom

HB 957 by Oliverson | SB 542 by Springer

What these bills do:

Repeal TX criminalization of suppressor possession apart from Federal regulations. (TX Penal Code 46.05(a)(6).)
Establish a class of "Made in Texas" suppressors that must be manufactured in Texas from Texas-made parts, must stay in Texas, and are exempt from Federal regulations
Give a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

After years of fascination, have finally gotten into the world of firearms over the last 6 months.   Started off with buying the last 9mm Carter’s had at the start of covid.  Kimber ultra carry II. The collection has morphed into adding a Glock 21, Sig P226, and a Keltec PMR30. 

Grew up shooting skeet with the old man (never hunted and never shot a rifle).  A buddy of mine who’s way more into firearms than I am convinced me to get an AK47. So, I said, fuck it, why not. Got me a Krebs Custom AK. Shoots beautifully. 

Anyone here have any thoughts on a Daniel Defense MK18?   I just won a GunBroker auction on a new HK MR556 for way less than it’s worth. But I really want the MK18 in a bad way.  

That should complete my collection until the boys are old enough and we all get matching O/U shotguns. 

All I do now in my spare time is watch YT vids on this shit.  Really like the Classic Firearms and Garand Thumb channels. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

After years of fascination, have finally gotten into the world of firearms over the last 6 months.   Started off with buying the last 9mm Carter’s had at the start of covid.  Kimber ultra carry II. The collection has morphed into adding a Glock 21, Sig P226, and a Keltec PMR30. 

Grew up shooting skeet with the old man (never hunted and never shot a rifle).  A buddy of mine who’s way more into firearms than I am convinced me to get an AK47. So, I said, fuck it, why not. Got me a Krebs Custom AK. Shoots beautifully. 

Anyone here have any thoughts on a Daniel Defense MK18?   I just won a GunBroker auction on a new HK MR556 for way less than it’s worth. But I really want the MK18 in a bad way.  

That should complete my collection until the boys are old enough and we all get matching O/U shotguns. 

All I do now in my spare time is watch YT vids on this shit.  Really like the Classic Firearms and Garand Thumb channels. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

AK is my favorite platform.  I also have a Kreb's Custom, KV-13 mod 2 in 5.45x39.  Amazing rifle, perfect trigger.  What model do you have?  I check their site a few times a year and they can't seem to keep any of the 'production' rifles in stock.  It's mostly NFA shit or what looks to be 1 offs and consignment offerings.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, TexasGary said:

Suppressor Freedom

What these bills do:

Repeal TX criminalization of suppressor possession apart from Federal regulations. (TX Penal Code 46.05(a)(6).)
Establish a class of "Made in Texas" suppressors that must be manufactured in Texas from Texas-made parts, must stay in Texas, and are exempt from Federal regulations
Give a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.

Was going to post this.  So yeah it's finally happening.  

Further, HB 1927.  House passed it last night and the senate voted late last night:  Constitutional Carry.  Texas will be joining 21 other states no longer requiring a LTC to carry.  

• Like 2

Your very nice collection is incomplete without a couple of revolvers... both single and double actions. .22 up to .45, doesn’t matter. They are more fun to shoot IMO.

31 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Your very nice collection is incomplete without a couple of revolvers... both single and double actions. .22 up to .45, doesn’t matter. They are more fun to shoot IMO.

Agreed. 

My two revolvers -

1) S&W Governor .45LC/.410/.45acp - super fun but a terrible choice for a first revolver, in retrospect

2) Ruger Wrangler single action .22 - in retrospect, this is the revolver I should have bought first.

I think my next pistol will be a King Cobra when/if .357 and .38spc starts showing up again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

2) Ruger Wrangler single action .22 - in retrospect, this is the revolver I should have bought first.

This is the line of reasoning myself and every one of my friends were initially exposed to.

First pistol - .22lr Ruger MKI and revolver

First rifle - .22lr Winchester Model 52 bolt action, then 10/22

Master these, then go up from there.  What I'm doing with the kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Agreed. 

My two revolvers -

1) S&W Governor .45LC/.410/.45acp - super fun but a terrible choice for a first revolver, in retrospect

I think my next pistol will be a King Cobra when/if .357 and .38spc starts showing up again. 

I have my dad's old .357 Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman model.  Blue with a six inch barrel and in immaculate condition.  It is my favorite gun to carry at the ranch because it is so easy to shoot and I can actually hit stuff at distance with iron sights.  I dropped a pig with it once at about 60 yards (shooting off a rest).

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Those Wranglers are a decent first revolver choice as are the Heritage line. Low budget, and they seem to work well.

OF course I’d go with the Wrangler first, but the Heritage has a wider selection.

Both tacos! I considered the Heritage Rough Rider because you can swap out a .22Mag cylinder. Obviously I'm not opposed to trash guns, I own and shoot a KelTec cp33. But the build quality of the Ruger was so much better that there was really no comparing the two. The wrangler is like a budget single six. The Heritage is a cap gun that shoots live rounds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is the line of reasoning myself and every one of my friends were initially exposed to.

First pistol - .22lr Ruger MKI and revolver

First rifle - .22lr Winchester Model 52 bolt action, then 10/22

Master these, then go up from there.  What I'm doing with the kids.  

+rep, this is EXCELLENT advice. These days I'd probably go with a Savage Mk II or a CZ 457 for the first bolt action rifle, but only because I don't have a Winchester Model 52.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Was going to post this.  So yeah it's finally happening.  

Further, HB 1927.  House passed it last night and the senate voted late last night:  Constitutional Carry.  Texas will be joining 21 other states no longer requiring a LTC to carry.  

To me the suppressor thing is a much bigger deal. The carry thing is mainly phallic symbolism and wont move the needle much (in my opinion). Suppressors, on the other hand, are just neighborly and restrictions on them are silly. Hell in most of Europe it's considered rude to hunt without one. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

These days I'd probably go with a Savage Mk II or a CZ 457 for the first bolt action rifle, but only because I don't have a Winchester Model 52.

I passed up a Model 52 that was VERY dolled up a few years ago, and will never forgive myself. The custom target maple stock was worth 2-3 times what they were asking. Ugh.   My oldest learned on a custom target 10/22, but her first gun will be a 457 .17, as soon as I can find one with the right wood. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

How much did you pay for the HK?

On 5/21/2021 at 4:52 PM, TexasGary said:

Suppressor Freedom

What these bills do:

The Senate passed the House version of the bill on Saturday.  It is on the way to Abbott's desk to be signed.

It establishes and legalizes a class of made-in-Texas suppressors that must be manufactured and/or sold within the state from Texas-made parts. The silencer must be stamped “Made In Texas” and must remain in the state. It would then be exempt from NFA regulation. That means no forms, background checks, $200 tax stamps or year-long waits for government permission.

Here is a short article disusing the bill and what it means to Texans.

HB 957 Passed

• Like 1

Yeah - Based on my understanding, the suppressor bill is a lot murkier than the carry bill.  The Texas suppressor bill will be a line drawn in the sand and there will need to be other decisions made.  In theory it will exempt citizens from prosecution on a state and local level, but the ATF is still the ATF and could prosecute under Federal laws.

It may not be a perfect analogy, but is akin to some of the cannabis legislation.  Technically legal in the eyes of a given state, but still illegal under federal laws.

I'm not privy to nor do I understand how it is supposed to work, but my guess is that it is a 1st step and a stepping stone to additional actions against or legal challenges to federal laws which will have to work their way through courts before TX citizens are free from federal oversight with regard to suppressors.

From what I understand, the interstate commerce issue plays a big role here and that is or can be so broadly defined that the feds can flex on even suppressors manufactured here if they want to nitpick down to the raw material used in production, etc., etc.

There is a long game being played here and its still the top of the 1st inning even if the governor signed it today. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

+rep, this is EXCELLENT advice. These days I'd probably go with a Savage Mk II or a CZ 457 for the first bolt action rifle, but only because I don't have a Winchester Model 52.

My very first pistol was a new 1956 Ruger Standard my parents gifted me that Christmas. Traded it in for that Single Six at Petmecky’s Sporting Goods Store on Congress Avenue.

My first rifle was a Winchester Model 67a .22 single shot bolt action. Sold it to a Chinese buyer in Taipei in 1957 for double my purchase price (cannot remember what that was).

I did buy 3 more of the Winchesters and gifted them to my grandkids. The last two:

752BB32C-F689-450E-97BA-01B648ECA562.jpeg

• Drool 1

On 5/20/2021 at 6:21 PM, Armybrat said:

That case hardening is top notch quality. Looks nicer than mine 😉

(Made in 1878, .44-40)

4D764090-99AE-4DD3-BE5F-6699BED7862F.jpeg

One of these exists in my family, same caliber too. My Dad and his brother argued over it for years and it eventually found its way to California to be given to the next grandson with the same last name.  Unfortunately the only same name grandson passed way at an early age and still the rifle sits out West.  I'm planning on offering some $$ to my cousin to bring it back to Texas as there are 2 same name grandsons that belong to my Dad.

Rifle is still in shooting condition and has the original cleaning rods and tips in the stock.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Missing a good 22LR rifle as noted already, a good short action bolt rifle (243 to 308) and a pump 12ga.   Pistols are fun but to paraphrase Col Copper, they are only good to allow you to get to your rifle.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

One of these exists in my family, same caliber too. My Dad and his brother argued over it for years and it eventually found its way to California to be given to the next grandson with the same last name.  Unfortunately the only same name grandson passed way at an early age and still the rifle sits out West.  I'm planning on offering some $$ to my cousin to bring it back to Texas as there are 2 same name grandsons that belong to my Dad.

Rifle is still in shooting condition and has the original cleaning rods and tips in the stock.   

That is a very desirable gun with the rod.

The Senate passed the House version of the bill on Saturday.  It is on the way to Abbott's desk to be signed.

It establishes and legalizes a class of made-in-Texas suppressors that must be manufactured and/or sold within the state from Texas-made parts. The silencer must be stamped “Made In Texas” and must remain in the state. It would then be exempt from NFA regulation. That means no forms, background checks, $200 tax stamps or year-long waits for government permission.
Here is a short article disusing the bill and what it means to Texans.
HB 957 Passed

Preemption gonna preemption.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Missing a good 22LR rifle as noted already, a good short action bolt rifle (243 to 308) and a pump 12ga.   Pistols are fun but to paraphrase Col Copper, they are only good to allow you to get to your rifle.

True for battle situations, but not for most

EDC.

16 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I’ve got a V7 in Deep woods green on order but the MK18 is next on the list. Not sure if you can buy it with a threaded barrel or not but destined for a can. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Forgot to mention, I bought an HK 416 22LR from Bass Pro last month for $450. Shot it last week for the first time. Zero recoil. Insane. Had 2 misfires though. Scared the shit out of me. 

1 minute ago, Fat Bastard said:

Forgot to mention, I bought an HK 416 22LR from Bass Pro last month for $450. Shot it last week for the first time. Zero recoil. Insane. Had 2 misfires though. Scared the shit out of me. 

My son has a S&W MP-22.  Great gun for AR training.  I liked it better than the HK as the mag release, bolt release and safety operate exactly like an AR.  As for misfires, I like either CCI 40gr minimags or Winchester 40gr M22.  Both cylcle the MP-22 great and rarely any misfires unlike some of the other 36gr bulk ammo.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

My son has a S&W MP-22.  Great gun for AR training.  I liked it better than the HK as the mag release, bolt release and safety operate exactly like an AR.  As for misfires, I like either CCI 40gr minimags or Winchester 40gr M22.  Both cylcle the MP-22 great and rarely any misfires unlike some of the other 36gr bulk ammo.

Yeah, .22lr ammo is just dirty.  It just is and it makes it tough to cycle any semi consistently.  These days beggars can't be choosers.  

How is it any different than state legalizing weed and not allowing state and local law enforcement officers to enforce the federal law?

State law enforcement is not your worry. Texas could say you can scratch the serial number off your gun - ‘cuz Freedoms - and not allow local LE to prosecute. But that does not mean ATF won’t drop a five year clubfed conviction on you.

It is more a “will they?” than a “can they?” question. I would not want to be the test case.

All this .22 talk. Dad sent me this pic yesterday. Went to help great uncle with some stuff. He’s getting older and his kids aren’t interested in being any help, so for the last few years my dad has picked up their slack. He came home from helping Uncle Paul with these

1dde883a29db5ecb03f01e79acfa8643.jpg

Henry Goldenboy, Heritage rough rider and Glock 22.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

State law enforcement is not your worry. Texas could say you can scratch the serial number off your gun - ‘cuz Freedoms - and not allow local LE to prosecute. But that does not mean ATF won’t drop a five year clubfed conviction on you.

It is more a “will they?” than a “can they?” question. I would not want to be the test case.

I don't disagree.  But how will they enforce?  I buy a suppressor without a NFA stamp.  I use it for hunting.  How do they ever get the PC to get a search warrant?

They going to put undercover agents in retailers?  They really will care?  Much like weed being illegal suppressors requiring a NFA stamp is just a silly law.

I just cannot imagine there being much enforcement.  I don't care.  I am not going to test it.  I have a trust and all the suppressors I will ever need.  I see this no different than states legalizing weed.  It is still illegal federally.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don't disagree.  But how will they enforce?  I buy a suppressor without a NFA stamp.  How do they ever get the PC to get a search.  

{Feds issue subpoena to Texas seller of suppressors who violated Fed law by selling state legal suppressor}. Attached letter says:

“Respond or go to jail for 20 years”

Later:

Buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

Also buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

Yeah, .22lr ammo is just dirty.  It just is and it makes it tough to cycle any semi consistently.  These days beggars can't be choosers.  

Eh, good guns have more issues with .22lr than cheap guns. I’ve got a marlin mode 60 that’s 25 years old and never cleaned it. Only issues I’ve had were with underpowered ammo. Looking at you Colibri.

54 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

{Feds issue subpoena to Texas seller of suppressors who violated Fed law by selling state legal suppressor}. Attached letter says:

“Respond or go to jail for 20 years”

Later:

Buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

Also buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

You would make an excellent law prof (for dummies like me). 

Close friend of a friend passed, and wife is selling off the guns (I assume they didn’t have kids).  Anyhow, picked up a Citori for $900, and just made the deal on a never fired Sendero .270 for $1000.  Will be my only synthetic long gun.   Figured it’d be a good one that probably wouldn’t depreciate much from there.  Think there’s a few more that might get sold.  I’ll see if I can get a list of what’s left; I know the custom rifles are already gone :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hozz said:

AK is my favorite platform.  I also have a Kreb's Custom, KV-13 mod 2 in 5.45x39.  Amazing rifle, perfect trigger.  What model do you have?  I check their site a few times a year and they can't seem to keep any of the 'production' rifles in stock.  It's mostly NFA shit or what looks to be 1 offs and consignment offerings.

I got the AC-18A2 with collapsible buttstock. Gunbroker auction again.