The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Just now, baboso said:

Make sure you both do.  Don't try to go alone and then train the wife.  The natural disdain that wives have for husbandly knowledge means she will not pay attention to you.

I’ve made the mistake of trying to teach her how to play golf.  Not going down that road again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

I’d rather be shot than play golf with my wife

When you have just met them and they want to tag along to the driving range and hit some balls it  doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.  I learned my lesson.  Thankfully she didn’t really care for golf.  She has subsequently been taught how to ski by a professional, and will be taught how to handle a gun by a professional as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When you have just met them and they want to tag along to the driving range and hit some balls it  doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.  I learned my lesson.  Thankfully she didn’t really care for golf.  She has subsequently been taught how to ski by a professional, and will be taught how to handle a gun by a professional as well.

Smart man.  Then later, in the car, lean over and whisper quietly - "everything that guy said.  Everything he told you that you learned........was....the.....exact.....same.....thing.....I told you earlier"

Then dive out of the moving car and hide in the woods.  She knows how to shoot now.

50 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Seeing all of these pictures of Taliban carrying M4s, SCARs, M240s, ACOGs, PEQs, etc is making me ragey.

10 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Not to CR this up but seems like Biden is a straw man.

No way those Taliban dudes passed 4473s AND a NICS

There's a place for this and this ain't it, fellas. 

• Like 1

Yeah I bought 1000 rounds of softpoint x39 to go with my 800 HP and 200 subs. Paid $.46 after shipping, cheapest I’m seeing now for FMJ is .70

Swear right as I got my galil tuned and zerod for hogs, the ammo is about to disappear.

Well maybe 300blk will drop in price over the next year to make it financially feasible to shoot a hog with…

Academy in Richmond has a bunch of 308, but mostly 180’s.  Few 150g hunting rounds. I’m set on 308 or I’d have loaded up a bit. Picked up a few more flats so I should be set thru dove and quail this year.  Need some .270, but the didn’t have any. Lots of ‘06 and 300WM on shelf too.   Pretty sure I might trend .40 when I finally get interested in short arms.  There was tons of .40, not a 9mm to be found. 

Academy in Richmond has a bunch of 308, but mostly 180’s.  Few 150g hunting rounds. I’m set on 308 or I’d have loaded up a bit. Picked up a few more flats so I should be set thru dove and quail this year.  Need some .270, but the didn’t have any. Lots of ‘06 and 300WM on shelf too.   Pretty sure I might trend .40 when I finally get interested in short arms.  There was tons of .40, not a 9mm to be found. 

.308 is 180gr is the bees knees. Flat and packs a whallop that’s what I use in my ar10 pistol

On 8/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, cabowabo said:

So much for ammo prices coming down. Fuck Joe Biden. 

Exactly one entry for 5.45x39 on ammoseek.  50 cents a round for steel case before tax+shipping.

7.62x39 has more availability but ridiculous pricing.  50-55 cents for milsurp corrosive 60+ cents for Russian steel case.  This will really fuck people like me who tended to shoot Russian calibers but its going to fuck everyone.  I don't think people realize how much of the US ammo supply comes from Russia.

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Among others, yes.  This particular gun “likes” corelokts enough to hunt with them, but will shoot like a gun 10x it’s price with SST’s. 

Same with me - it "likes" Winchester Super X 130gr (.270) so it's basically all I shoot.  A well placed 130gr will take down an Elk, so Texas Whitetail give it zero issues.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Same with me - it "likes" Winchester Super X 130gr (.270) so it's basically all I shoot.  A well placed 130gr will take down an Elk, so Texas Whitetail give it zero issues.  

Yeah that’s not a bad one for it to take to. I have rifles that really shine with bullets that I don’t prefer.  I keep them of course, as I eventually want to get into hand loading 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, Reagan1k said:

CMP goodies.  Two more "ping" machines arrived today.  Order date to shipment has slowed a ton, but who cares.  One has a new stock and the other one's had a lot more experience.

Garands.jpg

Were you able to specify an IHC? I have been looking off and on for an IHC to partner with my Scouts and IHC trucks.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, Reagan1k said:

CMP goodies.  Two more "ping" machines arrived today.  Order date to shipment has slowed a ton, but who cares.  One has a new stock and the other one's had a lot more experience.

Garands.jpg

Hells to the yez!  They fun

Garand.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Were you able to specify an IHC? I have been looking off and on for an IHC to partner with my Scouts and IHC trucks.

At the time I ordered this batch - back in February - you could order "M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed."   

I ordered 4  - (2) IHC Service Grade and (2) WRA Field Grade.

So far they have filled the order on the IHC, but not the WRA.

I've heard that they stopped taking orders for anything but Springfield and H&R potluck Field Grade since then, and are slowly filling the orders like mine that they already had in house as the guns pass through the armorers and are ok'ed.

IHC's were $1080 each and the WRA were $850 each at that time.  No clue what pricing is now.

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

At the time I ordered this batch - back in February - you could order "M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed."   

I ordered 4  - (2) IHC Service Grade and (2) WRA Field Grade.

So far they have filled the order on the IHC, but not the WRA.

I've heard that they stopped taking orders for anything but Springfield and H&R potluck Field Grade since then, and are slowly filling the orders like mine that they already had in house as the guns pass through the armorers and are ok'ed.

IHC's were $1080 each and the WRA were $850 each at that time.  No clue what pricing is now.

Thanks for the info. I would prefer a matching numbers IHC but every one that I found in past years was too pricey. Now that I can afford one, I'm having trouble finding one that doesn't have an outrageous ask. I guess it's mostly a me problem.

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Would like to know more. I’m in search of a wood guy (phrasing) for a projects I have tabled. 

My cousin is retired Army. Full bird Colonel. Went to Trinadad CO for the gunsmithing course a couple of years ago. I have only seen one stock he has made but it was his "masters" gun to graduate and it was flawless. My Dad was always the one that was going to finish this project but it never happened. I'm giving everything from my gunshop to him in exchange for finishing all of the projects that I have unfinished. He is just getting started so I'm sure he doesn't have the backlog that most name smiths have but I've seen his work and I'm sure he will have a backlog in the near future. I don't know what his plans are but I'll be happy to PM you the details if he says it's cool.

49 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Would like to know more. I’m in search of a wood guy (phrasing) for a projects I have tabled. 

Did I ever send you a link to this guy?  He did the Trinidad school and then apprenticed for Bailey Bradshaw for a while.  Custom  gun and stockmaker in Mineola.  Does really nice work above my price range.  Scroll through that FB page for some work examples.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

Did I ever send you a link to this guy?  He did the Trinidad school and then apprenticed for Bailey Bradshaw for a while.  Custom  gun and stockmaker in Mineola.  Does really nice work above my price range.  Scroll through that FB page for some work examples.

Not sure but his work looks really good. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

Man, that is some excellent work.

Just called GT Distributors to see if they had in stock an item I'm wanting to buy.  Was told I had to be "in the store" to find that information.  I asked, this is the Austin store right?  I'm in Austin too.  They said they couldn't tell me.  What The Fuck? 

Not that they couldn't tell me, they wouldn't tell me!

Edited by Horn_Spanker