The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

About to buy a new can and wanted input.

It will be used on a .223, 300 BO, and my 7 rem mag. So I am guessing getting my 7 threaded the same as the AR platforms. The 7 if you are unaware is sized at .284.

Anybody have one they swap calibers with that to could recommend? Yes I know the 223 will still be relatively loud.

I’ve got an AAC 762 SD N-6 on a 300 BLK. Supers are gonna be about like a .22.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Can you take it apart? 22LR are dirty.

Yes. Fully serviceable. Has a long and short configuration.  Only gripe is that every accessory for it (muzzle devices, tri lug adapter, cam lock, etc) seems to start around $80. Shit adds up fast if you want all configurations. 
https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-9-silencer/

Edited by Lat22
  • Like 1

Yeah I got a sandman K because it was like $450 when they launched and I thought, I just need something to take the edge off of a 12.5” .308 pistol…

Then I was like hmm but if I had the S I could get my 300blk and 7.62x39 nice and quiet and I’d have 2 cans…

Now I’m “but if I get a Nomad LT I could get really quiet, like Hollywood quiet! Orrr I could get a .22lr can to smoke squirrels and coons with!”

Does each caliber need one?  I’d like to dive off into this game but just don’t know much about them. I’m less worried about the $$$ and just want the most quality/effectiveness.  Question about the caliber is because I’m bringing little ones into hunting and I’m certain I’m going to end up with .224, 243, and .30 at some point.  Just ignorant on how it all works. 

Nope, you have 30 cal cans which cover most of the mainstream calibers

You’ll also have .46 cal cans for a bigger collection of calibers including more pistol rounds.

What it will come down to is how you intend to use it, ie hunting, simple range days, heavy use/training, full auto dumps. Also how quiet you want a specific platform.

For example I’ll use 2 dead air lines since I have experience. The Sandman line is built like a tank, it’s full auto rated with no barrel restrictions outside of no .22lr. The Nomad line is built to be quieter and lighter than the sandman but it also not suggested for sustained full auto, although Dead Air does list it as full auto rated they often say you should go sandman if that’s your kink. So both lines can go up to 300win mag and down to 22 hornet but the nomad will shave an average or 2-3db off the tone while the sandman is built to survive everything except a baffle strike.

That being said you can go find a can designed to be put on a 5.56 ar15 and it optimizes the suppression etc, or a .22lr can or 9mm pistol can etc. deadair also sells 5.56 end caps for their .30 cal cans to help control the 5.56 beast.

Most of us buy a .30 cal can to start and then keep adding to fill new needs.

• Hook 'Em 2

I run .30 caliber cans for that caliber on down for centerfire rifles and then .22 for the rimfires.

Technically you lose some performance when you use a .30 can with, say, a 5.56, but it is impossible for me to tell a difference.  A meter will show higher dbs but I can't hear it.

I got into cans before threaded barrels on bolt actions were mainstream, and didn't want to mess with caps and stripped threads.  So, I bought cans with a quick disconnect, and adapters for each caliber.  Threaded the barrels and then installed the adapters "permanently" - permanently meaning I don't take them off.  That way I can shoot suppressed or not and never worry about exposed threads, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just thought y’all might like to see this Mauser 98k 8mm brought back by my Dad in 1945. 
Unfortunately my Grandpa “sporterized” the military stock a few years later and it became my rifle.

40 years ago I had it restocked & rebarreled to .30-06. 
I wish Grandpa had left it in the original configuration, but 70 years ago those surplus military rifles were considered nearly expendable and very few thought they were collectible.

A2B1D282-D63B-4538-BA1C-3B25B7F7D492.jpeg

230196F9-A215-4CD3-9EA2-5595A470C0DD.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

My 7 year old would kill for the brought back version of that rifle.

Tell him this one (stock photo) is still in its original configuration (except for a plugged breech) and has been sitting undisplayed in the Texas Military Museum vault at Austin’s Camp Mabry since we donated it 20 years ago. 
(Belgian FN copy of Browning Automatic Rifle made prewar, captured by the nazis in 1940, and recaptured bu US Army in 1945). It was also brought back by my Dad with the two Mausers & a couple of German helmets.

I played Army with it around the neighborhood in the 1950s.

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

My 7 year old would kill for the brought back version of that rifle.

I posted this up last Thanksgiving after Dad and I spent some time going through his safe.  

L to R:    M48 Mauser, K98 Mauser, H& R Garand, Sks, Remington 1917 Enfield in 30-06, Springfield 1903 in 30-06, Sporterized Remington 1903 in 30-06 with a 3x7 scope on swing away. 

0894-AFCC-6629-4-E61-A1-FB-C545656-E45-E

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

If that safe is returnable you can get a similar sized 12-gun Winchester safe from Tractor Supply right now with adjustable height shelves for $399.  Or $599 for the 26 gun.  I got one not long ago and it seemed a much better deal than what I was seeing at Cabelas or Academy.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/gun-safes

Tractor supply on Black Friday was the go to. Didn’t have to wait in line or any of that mess and they had good deals. I picked up my 48 or 54 (can’t recall at moment) for $750 iirc.   It’s full and next year will be adding another.  Likely something like a 26 that I can put the safe queens in and keep the big boy for the non dust collecting set.  

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

If that safe is returnable you can get a similar sized 12-gun Winchester safe from Tractor Supply right now with adjustable height shelves for $399.

It's not a safe.  It's jut a lockable cabinet.  Basically a big filing cabinet.  It's just enough to keep kids out.  It was only $220 from Walmart

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Have they up’d their game? In the years past their safes seemed like that were very thin walled and shitty. Like office filing cabinet thickness.

Most safes at this price point aren't all that secure if someone is willing to take an angle grinder and a big crow bar to it.  I don't worry so much about that.  I just want to keep my kids from them, have quick access for myself, and have them secure enough that your average quick burglary job isn't going to be able to get them quickly.   

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Have they up’d their game? In the years past their safes seemed like that were very thin walled and shitty. Like office filing cabinet thickness.

Dunno. This one is 400# per spec sheet. Definitely not one of those $5k jobs, but absolutely won’t be confused with the stack on stuff.  Buddy has one of those Winchester 26 gun “safes”.  It’s heavy af too, but you can remove the door.  Not the best if someone has a day to pick apart trying to get in, but was money when we were trying to move it into the house.  Seemed about 50% of the weight was in the door.  Spec says it was 367#  and 45 mins at 1400 rated   Not bad for $600 imo  

I’m actually in the process of convincing my wife that that Winchester $399 safe at tractor supply needs to replace my cheap cabinet.

Part theft
Part continuing to keep kiddos friends away
Part fireproof safe… I’ve always kept out important docs at my parents house but that’s a bitch when we need one of them…

They’re residential security cabinets. Not technically safes. If someone wants it bad enough, you’ll lose it if they have time. If your house catches on fire, your shit is probably burnt.

None of them are technically safes until you spend the equivalent to a car (I'm looking at you Graffunder ).  The Stackons are just sheet metal cabinets with a shitty lock.  Meets the requirements of keeping them under lock but can be opened with a big screwdriver and a hammer in less than a minute.   I don't even believe the Winchester and other like it are even RSC rated. Once you get into the $1500+ you typically get one that is UL RSC listed (some of the AmSec and Browing).  If you spend some true 1% $$$ you can get something that would truly be considered a safe and at that point you just get the safe door and have a built in vault/saferoom.

Regardless of what you get, spent the time and $ to bolt it to the floor, preferably on a concrete slab, with captive bolts that go all the way through the slab.  If you can have it where the side opposite the hinge is against a wall as this eliminates using bodyweight on a prybar attack.  

Edited by davidg

On 12/17/2021 at 4:40 PM, Reagan1k said:

I got into cans before threaded barrels on bolt actions were mainstream, and didn't want to mess with caps and stripped threads.  So, I bought cans with a quick disconnect, and adapters for each caliber.

Yeah this is going to have to be a thing for me. I own a shitload of rifles, and not a single one of them has a threaded barrel. I do have a couple of project rifles I’m starting after Christmas that will have threaded barrels. Both Model 70’s, 22-250 and other in 6.5CM (time to become a bro I guess 😎)

Found a pawn shop Browning Citori O/U for $ 1,300 list... guy behind the computer yells out "I'll do $ 1,200" & that was when I only asked the girl what was on the tag.

I imagine if I offered ca$h $ 1k with tax that he would go for it (or maybe $ 1,082.50 as a bargaining back up)... & I told a buddy to mumble that whole thing to the wife... how it's a great bargain, Xmas, etc.

Guaran-damn-tee I won't be seeing it under the tree.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Found a pawn shop Browning Citori O/U for $ 1,300 list... guy behind the computer yells out "I'll do $ 1,200" & that was when I only asked the girl what was on the tag.

I imagine if I offered ca$h $ 1k with tax that he would go for it (or maybe $ 1,082.50 as a bargaining back up)... & I told a buddy to mumble that whole thing to the wife... how it's a great bargain, Xmas, etc.

Waiting for pictures. Something like this. 

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I bought my last citori for $1,000 even.  So not impossible to find them at that rate. I actually snagged a decently rare on apparently, that will accommodate 3.5”s, for whatever reason one would do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, fattyflattie said:

Dunno. This one is 400# per spec sheet. Definitely not one of those $5k jobs, but absolutely won’t be confused with the stack on stuff.  Buddy has one of those Winchester 26 gun “safes”.  It’s heavy af too, but you can remove the door.  Not the best if someone has a day to pick apart trying to get in, but was money when we were trying to move it into the house.  Seemed about 50% of the weight was in the door.  Spec says it was 367#  and 45 mins at 1400 rated   Not bad for $600 imo  

Got mine @ Coctso.  As stated be others, it's mainly to keep kids and curious hands away and store documents in the event there is a brief fire.