The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

31 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Yeah, the clip idea would be for the quick grocery trips while I’m wearing running shorts and a tshirt or something like that.

I guess I’ll have to get a holster as well. Y’all made me nervous about the unguarded trigger with this type of carry method.

I wonder if it can still be holstered with the clip installed.

You can still holster it in a pocket holster like this.  I wold just ditch the clip and use a pocket holster.

https://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Nemesis-P3AT-Ambidextrous-Black/dp/B00266AHQ8/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfqOBhAeEiwAYi43F1ivY8nBAW2cpOjvVV_gfjfaGD5ONB0TvGUbq1v9VbAzC2yof9_nNhoCU-wQAvD_BwE&hvadid=410062061246&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028118&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7149424069105572358&hvtargid=kwd-13280588040&hydadcr=9382_11541752&keywords=lcp+pocket+holster&qid=1642013020&sr=8-1

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I thought the "sneaky pete" is when you cut a hole in the back of the fanny pack, and wear it front facing, below the waist. 

https://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuoqOkaut9QIV-hXUAR3QIQrFEAAYASAAEgI4-fD_BwE

This is the Come To Jesus edition....

2A91200F-4CFE-4777-BE8F-6C787600B1CF.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

So I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and get a NV scope for varmint and hog hunting.

My BiL already has a bering optics Hogster thermal so for me that means I just need to be able to better see what I’m shooting at.

Currently I use a combo of green lights on my feeder and a green light in my firearms.

Which of the Sightmark Wraith HD and ATN Xsight would be better money spent? I’m using my fantasy football winnings on it so I’ve gotta keep it around $500, other suggestions are welcome.

Kinda like that sightmark is a Texas company.

(Cross posting this in the hunting thread for max views)

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

The new Ruger-made Marlin .45-70 Model 1895 is now being offered with a few modifications...

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895sbl/

ADAD0569-F05B-490B-966E-9A32568B9C27.jpeg

I've got an 1895 with a lower-tier finish and I love that gun. Very tempted by this one just to put a scope on it and turn it into a pig killer. 

So I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and get a NV scope for varmint and hog hunting.

My BiL already has a bering optics Hogster thermal so for me that means I just need to be able to better see what I’m shooting at.

Currently I use a combo of green lights on my feeder and a green light in my firearms.

Which of the Sightmark Wraith HD and ATN Xsight would be better money spent? I’m using my fantasy football winnings on it so I’ve gotta keep it around $500, other suggestions are welcome.

Kinda like that sightmark is a Texas company.

(Cross posting this in the hunting thread for max views)

I posted in the other thread- ATN.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, Armybrat said:

Usedto see these ads in the Shotgun News of the 1960s - early 1970s....

B3FF0AC7-F969-42F1-970D-E4637D01F220.jpeg

A3D504A7-A9D8-44DB-A71C-86C17FB9895D.jpeg

Yeah - I spent untold hours combing through Shotgun News and mentally amassing a collection.

Even $25 seemed like a lot for a surplus rifle in 'the early 70, but those Enfields would have turned into a solid store of value at today's prices.

I wish I had every No. 5  Mk I  I ever handled at a gun show but eventually passed.  Have two but they're by no means the best I've had opportunity to purchase.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, Armybrat said:

Usedto see these ads in the Shotgun News of the 1960s - early 1970s....

B3FF0AC7-F969-42F1-970D-E4637D01F220.jpeg

A3D504A7-A9D8-44DB-A71C-86C17FB9895D.jpeg

My Dad bought scads of those Mausers from Sarco and the like back in the day. I have quite a few of the actions left and have been doling them out to a cousin of mine that just opened his shop. Most of the high powers in my rack are on surplus actions that Dad and I reworked. I did most of the metalwork and he did all of the wood. He bought a dozen of the 1909 Argentine Mausers and those are like gold now. They were so cheap at the time that we did things to them that make me cringe now. We cut one in half and welded it back together 1 1/2" shorter and made a 6mm BR when that was brand new. I'm not sure where that one is now but I would love to get it back for my kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Interesting. I have several purchased in the same manner. But I don’t sell guns, much less inherited ones, so just interesting more than anything. 

Dad had a gunshop  as a 2nd income before I was born. He was mostly repairing broken guns and making stocks. He didn't do any retail and got his FFL as soon after 1968 as that was required. I started working at Wichita Arms while I was in HS and became a toolmaker/gunsmith for them by 1972. At that point we bought a lathe and a mill and started making complete rifles for friends and relatives as well as ourselves. It was never a full time gig. When he passed, all of his shit was dumped with all of my shit. One of my cousins graduated from Trinidad after he retired from the Army 5 or 6 years ago and opened a shop in CO. I gave him all of my reamers, gages and specialty tools in exchange for finishing some of the projects Dad and I had started. Most of our shit is now in Colorado and he won't have nearly as much sentimental attachment to it. My kids already have everything  that I have divvied up between them and my cousin will buy what is left over.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Interesting. I have several purchased in the same manner. But I don’t sell guns, much less inherited ones, so just interesting more than anything. 

Word. Have never understood that except in tight financial circumstances where it is required to put food on the table. 

"I didn't like it so I sold it" makes no sense to me. 

Different strokes for different folks, I get it. No need to flame. Everyone is entitled to his own opinions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Word. Have never understood that except in tight financial circumstances where it is required to put food on the table. 

Different strokes for different folks, I get it. No need to flame. Everyone is entitled to his own opinions. 

I sold a Sage M1A because it really took up too much space in my safe and the prices were right. Also sold two raffle winnings for a nice scope. No ragrets. I don't think I could ever see myself selling a pistol though. 

32 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

There is a few that I *would let go, but they were arms that just happened upon me. We bought a property with an old barn and it had a few tomato stick shotguns in it, mostly mossberg.  Some don’t even function correctly, I would sell those.  So far they are just beater guns kept in the barn for snakes. But usually by the time I decide to buy, it’s going to me mine until it’s one of the kids’. 

exception would be a rifle with horrifically bad accuracy, that didn’t tighten up after bedding etc.  Or maybe a handgun that didn’t “fit” right, etc.   But my rifles and shotguns, or ANYTHING inherited, nah.  Eta because @Da Fino reminded me. I’d probably sell nearly any raffle gun because I’m particular as hell, and not lucky enough to win raffles in first place, much less the exact thing I’d want. 

Edited by fattyflattie

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There is a few that I *would let go, but they were arms that just happened upon me. We bought a property with an old barn and it had a few tomato stick shotguns in it, mostly mossberg.  Some don’t even function correctly, I would sell those.  So far they are just beater guns kept in the barn for snakes. But usually by the time I decide to buy, it’s going to me mine until it’s one of the kids’. 

exception would be a rifle with horrifically bad accuracy, that didn’t tighten up after bedding etc.  Or maybe a handgun that didn’t “fit” right, etc.   But my rifles and shotguns, or ANYTHING inherited, nah.  Eta because @Da Fino reminded me. I’d probably sell nearly any raffle gun because I’m particular as hell, and not lucky enough to win raffles in first place, much less the exact thing I’d want. 

OK, I will revise and say that there could be circumstances where I might do it, you mention some I hadn't considered before, but I think there are very few. 

On one of the shotgun forums I'm on there are guys who make it sound like they buy something and then get tired of it and sell it a few months later and then buy something new and then repeat the process. I don't get that. Like you said, if I like something enough to buy it once, I'll just keep it and buy something new if I want it and just throw the old one in the safe. I might change my mind some day or maybe it would be good to lend to someone or at the very least my kids might love having it after I am dead and gone. Selling just to get a few bucks in one's pocket seems kind of shortsighted to me. It's like being an African chief with a bunch of cows. You can never have too many, IMO. 

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have traded off a handful of handguns that I had no use for or were plain unreliable, but in turn acquired a new Ruger Super Blackhawk, a new Colt Government .380, and a Colt SAA NIB that had sat in my brother’s safe unfired by him since he bought it new in 1980.

I have gifted about 20 nice handguns & rifles to my kids, grandkids, & brother over the years. Some new, some used.

Only sold two handguns over the past 55 years to acquaintances - a POS Rohm .22 revolver to a fellow college buddy, and a Llama .380. I do not regret getting rid of those.

I sell frequently.  Get rid of stuff that isn't getting shot and acquire cash for the ever-evolving wish list. 

Off the top of my head I've unloaded two Beretta 92s, a 1911, two modern, Savage bolt action deer rifles, and a Winchester 1300 riot gun that I personally owned.  I am the only one in the family with a large safe so I have also unloaded a Savage 99, Winchester 94 and Remington 760.  With prices the way they are now it just makes sense to get rid of stuff that's just taking up room or not getting used for whatever reason.

I also ran through the ammo locker and sold about $250 worth of unopened boxes of ammo that I had no plans on shooting.  Biggest impediment for me has been Facebook's gun ban.  We had a local FB page that was essentially a gun market.  It was a great resource in hindsight and I really, really mis it.     

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, Armybrat said:

FN responds to Springfield Armory’s High Power clone....

44C0FE65-BD90-449C-A152-74FB674F1EFE.jpeg

Saw this on the YouTube last night and I think I like the Springfield version better.  Thinking that when Springfield comes out with a stainless version it'll be a "take my money" moment.    

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I sell frequently.  Get rid of stuff that isn't getting shot and acquire cash for the ever-evolving wish list. 

Off the top of my head I've unloaded two Beretta 92s, a 1911, two modern, Savage bolt action deer rifles, and a Winchester 1300 riot gun that I personally owned.  I am the only one in the family with a large safe so I have also unloaded a Savage 99, Winchester 94 and Remington 760.  With prices the way they are now it just makes sense to get rid of stuff that's just taking up room or not getting used for whatever reason.

I also ran through the ammo locker and sold about $250 worth of unopened boxes of ammo that I had no plans on shooting.  Biggest impediment for me has been Facebook's gun ban.  We had a local FB page that was essentially a gun market.  It was a great resource in hindsight and I really, really mis it.     

The list of guns I have owned and sold or traded is longer than my arm. I was always on the lookout for something new and different. The really good stuff I have accumulated is earmarked for my kids but the rest are just pieces that I picked up on a whim. For the most part, they have just been interesting tools.

I sold a Charles Daly OU that I won in a raffle. Kinda wish I had kept it but didn’t need it and probably never would have used it. I had $10 in it.

I sold a stoeger pistol (I can’t remember the manufacturer) that I traded for some primers I paid about $15 for. Got a complete RCBS rock chucker set for that.

I sold a Charles Daly OU that I won in a raffle. Kinda wish I had kept it but didn’t need it and probably never would have used it. I had $10 in it.

I sold a stoeger pistol (I can’t remember the manufacturer) that I traded for some primers I paid about $15 for. Got a complete RCBS rock chucker set for that.

Stoeger is the manufacturer, probably a cougar. Seems like everyone I knew had a cougar since it was basically a beretta 8000 made with beretta tooling except in Turkey.

Only sold 2 guns, I bought a Beretta PX4 9mm pistol and got home to find I had the compact version instead of Full Size (wrong box off the counter to the register I guess) so I sold and bought the full size.  Second was a Remington made Browning A5 style 20gauge from 1941.  My dad bought it thinking my mom would use it for dove hunting but it kicked harder than a pump and had little collector or sentimental value.  I needed the space for the Beretta O/U I bought.

I have two categories though, those that are sentimental, cool, or just favorites I will not sell and those that are tools or more common.  I could sell the Ruger LC9 and change it for any other compact carry single stack 9mm that I liked better.  It is actually the one most likely to get swapped out.

I would sooner take them on a sketchy boat ride than sell. Now, giving them away to family members, compadres, or even close friends is a different story. But selling to some rando goes against every fiber of my being.
I sold the Charles Day to a guy that was real good friends with my dad. I’d known him most of my life. I’m the same way though. I’ve sold 3 guns to my older brother, one to my best friend and the one I’m talking about here. That’s it.

Stoeger is the manufacturer, probably a cougar. Seems like everyone I knew had a cougar since it was basically a beretta 8000 made with beretta tooling except in Turkey.

It was a Cougar. I couldn’t remember it though. I sold it to my brother.
  • Like 1