The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I should be so lucky…. Or maybe not.

Houston couple orders empty military gun crates, but some are full of M-16 rifles.

https://www.wkyt.com/2022/09/27/box-m16-weapons-shipped-couples-home/

A2's from the 80's.  Tempting, but I'd probably do the same thing except contact my attorney first, then report them.  I'll say this, unreported, their is a 100% chance those are not on anyone's radar.  Even the National Guard turned those in over a decade ago. No unit is maintaining accountability of them. They were at a depot and either misplaced there, or reported destroyed or sold to another country. Most likely they were sent from a storage depot to repair/refurbishment depot and misplaced in the transit.

Went with the CZ 457 Scout. Thanks everyone for the opinions. Going to get the boy started on iron sights before I move onto optics. 

what do y’all think is the right move? Something like a 1-6 or 1-8 lpvo or a 2-7 or 3-9?  Definitely want illuminated reticle and decent glass. Trying to stay ~ $500 or less. 

dont want it to be too heavy. Going to start him out at 10-25 yards and don’t think he’ll really ever get past 50/100 with this, if that helps. Mostly for plinking with a rare varmint here and there 

Edited by Fat Bastard
  • Hook 'Em 4

Start with a red dot before irons IMO. It make hits easy and very fun for a beginner. As they get the fundamentals of trigger pulls, breathing, etc, then you can remove it to try iron sights, then a scope.

My kid’s youth Marlin single shot 22 w
/a red dot and 22 shorts is absolutely a blast on 25 yard steel spinner targets. Everyone loves shooting it.

ETA: I say that as my kids had shot thousands of BBS out of a red rider before they ever shot a 22 so they had an understanding of sight picture with irons beforehand

Went with the CZ 457 Scout. Thanks everyone for the opinions. Going to get the boy started on iron sights before I move onto optics. 

what do y’all think is the right move? Something like a 1-6 or 1-8 lpvo or a 2-7 or 3-9?  Definitely want illuminated reticle and decent glass. Trying to stay ~ $500 or less. 

dont want it to be too heavy. Going to start him out at 10-25 yards and don’t think he’ll really ever get past 50/100 with this, if that helps. Mostly for plinking with a rare varmint here and there 

I just put a vortex crossfire on the CZ I bought. My son had to have a scope on it. Wouldn’t leave me alone. Had a gift card to academy and used it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

c65a7b3067eb14da2aaf9e4ca965d611.jpg
I have two 10/22 takedowns and a Marlin that is 3rd generation in my family, but I’m struggling not to buy this one for my boy.

I have one with the same action but wood stock and has iron sights.  It is my favorite plinking gun.  I think getting the threaded barrel would have been a better option for me because I would love to suppress it.

Regarding braces...probably not long for this world.  ATF is set to finalize a rule in December that will make the brace work around no longer valid, at which point you will be in possession of a unstamped SBR. If I understand correctly, your options to stay on the up and up at that point will be to get a stamp or disassemble the rifle.  I'm just going to go ahead and register one of my lowers as an SBR when I get around to the paperwork.  

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Regarding braces...probably not long for this world.  ATF is set to finalize a rule in December that will make the brace work around no longer valid, at which point you will be in possession of a unstamped SBR. If I understand correctly, your options to stay on the up and up at that point will be to get a stamp or disassemble the rifle.  I'm just going to go ahead and register one of my lowers as an SBR when I get around to the paperwork.  

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

That won’t pass muster with the SCOTUS.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also, most people don’t care about NFA items. They have an even great irrational fear of them than most. The majority of people have a Hollywood understanding of those things, which is to say they know dick.

Plenty of collectors or people in the industry don’t want the the NFA to go away because it will cheapen their items.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1