The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

20 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well picked up a new 20 gun Winchester gun safe during the Black Friday sale. $349 for it, not terrible to get everything in a single safe finally.

I use that 20 to keep my safe queens in. I like it because you can take the door off and get it in some tighter spots.  One 64 that’s completely full (rifles), and a second that only houses shotguns, ammo, and paperwork, cash, etc.   They fill up quick. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I use that 20 to keep my safe queens in. I like it because you can take the door off and get it in some tighter spots.  One 64 that’s completely full (rifles), and a second that only houses shotguns, ammo, and paperwork, cash, etc.   They fill up quick. 

I solved my safe crowding problem by gifting some of my firearms each year to family members who all appreciate them. That allows me to refill the empty spots in my safe. 
However, I had to buy them safes to keep their gifts secure.

Might even have to buy them some more safes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

I solved my safe crowding problem by gifting some of my firearms each year to family members who all appreciate them. That allows me to refill the empty spots in my safe. 

All mine are babies.  My brother has 2x what I do, and we like very different things. He wouldn’t appreciate what he was getting.  Old man has already passed all his down.   But one day, I figure I’ll be doing what you do.  That’s the plan, anyhow. Funny how some of them will be 100+ years old, shit, a few 150, by then.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Shit, seems like AB is handing off a wheelgun to a child/grandchild/great grandchild/landman/banker/house cleaner/great great grandchild/favorite Heb bagger every other page.

Edit: I don’t live in brushy anymore but I should have tried to be your bagger or favorite grandchild or something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m still waiting on my gift Uncle AB.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Anybody got a KelTec P50? Impressions?

Great round

Ugly as sin gun

Not a fan of the mags, but I do like the capacity

Guess it would make a good truck-gun and a great home defense option?  For the price, I'd probably just get an AR pistol with a brace like a PWS/Stag or something similar

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Great round

Ugly as sin gun

Not a fan of the mags, but I do like the capacity

Guess it would make a good truck-gun and a great home defense option?  For the price, I'd probably just get an AR pistol with a brace like a PWS/Stag or something similar

I’m kinda fascinated by the magazine, honestly, and it seems like a fun range toy, but agree on the round and honestly-

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That new ruger carbine in 5.7 is on my very short list.  Maybe Santa will assist.  

This would be my default choice if I wanted to buy a 5.7 for its own sake. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m kinda fascinated by the magazine, honestly, and it seems like a fun range toy, but agree on the round and honestly-

This would be my default choice if I wanted to buy a 5.7 for its own sake. 

I can't get over that it loads like a MG42/M-60.  You have a mag release near the handle, the entire top flips open.  Having achieved by PhD in fucking with funky mags for most of my life, I can tell you this looks problematic; especially if the mag jams and you have to quickly replace it

image.png.815ae55cf361d83c26cfef8bb4bf3351.png

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I can't get over that it loads like a MG42/M-60.  You have a mag release near the handle, the entire top flips open.  Having achieved by PhD in fucking with funky mags for most of my life, I can tell you this looks problematic; especially if the mag jams and you have to quickly replace it

image.png.815ae55cf361d83c26cfef8bb4bf3351.png

Perversely, I want to see if it’s even more temperamental than the goofy* quad stacks on the CP-33, which jams with full magazines ultra-reliably

*but also awesome and incredibly fun when operating properly 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Perversely, I want to see if it’s even more temperamental than the goofy* quad stacks on the CP-33, which jams with full magazines ultra-reliably

*but also awesome and incredibly fun when operating properly 

Yeah, again, I can't get over the mag for the price you pay.  Higher capacity mags jam so much more than lower due to the spring tensions and ergonomics.  I want to be able to swap it out quickly just in case a rabbit gang of zombie infected squirrels attacks the house and tries to take over the world....

squirrel-attack.gif

• Haha 2

Does anyone here have experience with (an opinion on) this style of vault door? Looks like there are several different manufacturers.

Mrs CL and I need to pick out a vault door for the safe room in our new house and our contractor recommended one of these instead of a traditional safe-type door. I'm intrigued, but a little skeptical that it would be as secure.

The benefit to us is that would fit into the room better and be disguised as more of a closet door and painted instead of an obvious safe room.

image.thumb.png.568e34d8e62de284d68d831c234106d0.png

image.png.a392ac3e420ce8b0a493d3d85b4155ef.png

Aero had some their “Texas” lowers come in after at least a year, if anyone’s interested in putting together a decent mid-range AR.  I snagged a few; I’ve got some 300BO builds on my mind.   My brother sold a few of these, stripped, for a lot more than what he paid when they quit making them awhile back, and he went all high end. 

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Does anyone here have experience with (an opinion on) this style of vault door? Looks like there are several different manufacturers.

Mrs CL and I need to pick out a vault door for the safe room in our new house and our contractor recommended one of these instead of a traditional safe-type door. I'm intrigued, but a little skeptical that it would be as secure.

The benefit to us is that would fit into the room better and be disguised as more of a closet door and painted instead of an obvious safe room.

image.thumb.png.568e34d8e62de284d68d831c234106d0.png

image.png.a392ac3e420ce8b0a493d3d85b4155ef.png

Do they have different panel patterns, to match what’s in the rest of the house?  Same height?   

Just ordered this cheap, but complete, upper from PSA to use to convert my new 10.5” AR pistol to a carbine if that ATF change in the brace rules actually goes into effect.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-classic-freedom-m4-fde-upper-with-bcg-and-charing-handle-7779344.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=20221204&utm_term=afternoon

E5991CCA-52EE-4AC7-9D1A-99105651990E.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

Went and visited my brother today, and he’s gone full in on the Staccato’s.  Really felt nice, and very accurate (I’d had never shot one). He gifted me an HK he no longer shoots as I left.  He’s got a pile of nice handguns I’m going to have to start lowballing him on

Staccato owners are like vegans.

What HK’s would he want to get rid of?
Just ordered this cheap, but complete, upper from PSA to use to convert my new 10.5” AR pistol to a carbine if that ATF change in the brace rules actually goes into effect.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-classic-freedom-m4-fde-upper-with-bcg-and-charing-handle-7779344.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=20221204&utm_term=afternoon

E5991CCA-52EE-4AC7-9D1A-99105651990E.jpeg.d80a8cccd035964436d47831cd36463e.jpeg

But why? I gave you instructions already.

Do nothing.
  • Like 1

The new rules are BS, but it isn't too terribly difficult to comply. Not that they will last long. And if you still have the upper than you still have a potential SBR. Much more so if you put actual rifle stocks on all of your lowers. Constructive intent and all that. The best thing to do is run a tight ship and wait. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Just wait.

Pretty sure it will be litigated. It’s bullshit.

Agreed it will be litigated, but I decided to go ahead and order the upper just in case one of the grandsons would prefer it to be carbine length. 
Need to get some 20 round mags (already have 10 of the Magpul 30 rounders).

Just added some Magpul bits to it.

706E89C0-A66C-4970-A5E3-3ED239732361.jpeg

Yeah, but putting a carbine upper on it makes it too unwieldy to shoot with just a brace, which demonstrates intent to shoulder it, which means it has been redesigned as a rifle and once a rifle, always a rifle, which means you'd better get rid of the 10.5" upper unless you have another pistol lower or and SBR lower or you risk showing constructive intent to create and unregistered SBR.

roll-safe-clever.gif

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you ever instal that upper on it,it becomes forever a rifle and reinstalling the pistol upper makes it an SBR no matter how the brace thing shakes out, if I recall correctly. But who TF even knows anymore?

I think this is incorrect.  I thought that if originally build as a pistol, made it always a pistol.

You can build an ar pistol from a stripped lower and put a long barrel and stock on it no problem, but you can’t take an ar rifle, say a factory M&P-15 and put a short barrel and brace on it.  When I built a few AR’s it was suggested to build as a pistol with a short barrel and pistol buffer tube, then reconfigure as a rifle with stock and 16” upper.  Pictures of that pistol build would serve to define as a pistol is you ever wanted to go back to a short barrel and brace with that lower.

Another thing to think about on a pistol is why would a 16” barrel make it a rifle but a 14” barrel would still be a pistol.   

On 12/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, fattyflattie said:

Went and visited my brother today, and he’s gone full in on the Staccato’s.  Really felt nice, and very accurate (I’d had never shot one). He gifted me an HK he no longer shoots as I left.  He’s got a pile of nice handguns I’m going to have to start lowballing him on 😎

Gun thread humblebrag game is strong in this post.  

25 minutes ago, davidg said:

I think this is incorrect.  I thought that if originally build as a pistol, made it always a pistol.

You can build an ar pistol from a stripped lower and put a long barrel and stock on it no problem, but you can’t take an ar rifle, say a factory M&P-15 and put a short barrel and brace on it.  When I built a few AR’s it was suggested to build as a pistol with a short barrel and pistol buffer tube, then reconfigure as a rifle with stock and 16” upper.  Pictures of that pistol build would serve to define as a pistol is you ever wanted to go back to a short barrel and brace with that lower.

Another thing to think about on a pistol is why would a 16” barrel make it a rifle but a 14” barrel would still be a pistol.   

Ok, I found the proper answer. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Gun thread humblebrag game is strong in this post.  

Nah. He’s a plant hand and has always spent it like he is.   And he treats pistols and ARs (and other bull pups and shit) like I do on Weatherbys, Sauers, and pre-64s.  Different strokes.  

He gave me the pistol because all I keep in the house is a janky ass old LC9 and an old .38 snub nose (both his, lol) that he gave me 15 years ago.  He took offense I would be so overwhelmingly underarmed in the mean streets of the west Houston burbs, with his little nieces no less. You can take the deputy out of the dept, but something or other.   

• Hook 'Em 1