The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, deft said:

I was just responding to NAAL calling our AB when I’m pretty sure that the upper brat posted is already a short barrel (by the looks) with a pistol brace.

Btw, @armybrat the serial is visible

I got that, I was just under the impression that if you put a rifle upper on it that is too big for it to be shot with one hand easily then it would show intent to shoulder it even with the brace and they would then classify it as a rifle, and once a rifle always a rifle. After looking it up, the once a rifle always a rifle part is wrong, as I posted from the ATF website. However, with the new rules (should they actually pass muster) they would probably classify it as a rifle as long as the rifle length upper is attached, but there is nothing wrong with converting it back to a pistol, so there should be no worries keeping the original pistol length upper. If the once a rifle always a rifle bit was true, then you could get into trouble keeping the short upper unless you had another lower that was a pistol lower or an SBR lower. But it's not true, so he would be free to switch it back and forth.

• Like 1

I have one with the accushadow package - an upgraded shadow 2. Orange grips, used, but immaculate (like new).

2300 new.
1399 on gun rocker right now.

I can send you the link if interested. I’m in cedar park. It’s a phenomenal pistol.

I am not quite sure if you are suggesting that for me or the other guy.

I’m not buying right now as I have a shadow 2. I was just recommending that this guy spends $1500 on one. I might be in the market for the upgraded one some day but the stock shadow 2 is damn accurate with a phenomenal trigger. Of the three pictured, it is my favorite.

My acquisitions have slowed dramatically since this purchase.
b60fd1385a4cdce52d53b095b8205a42.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

I’m not buying right now as I have a shadow 2. I was just recommending that this guy spends $1500 on one. I might be in the market for the upgraded one some day but the stock shadow 2 is damn accurate with a phenomenal trigger. Of the three pictured, it is my favorite.

Whomever had money to burn! Sorry man.

20 hours ago, GottaB said:

you prefer the CZ Shadow 2 over the Dan Wesson Vigil and Wilson Combat?

Edited by 4th and 5

I do. At the range I like the feel of the ergonomics, balance and the weight. It is subjective but if you’ve never tried one, do yourself a favor and at the least dry fire one. Crisp break and reset. It helps that I am more accurate with the Shadow 2. Don’t get me wrong, all three are great options and I won’t ever sell any. But if I’m headed to the range, it is the first in my bag.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

A Wilson is on my bucket list. I will regularly spend the same amount of money on a shotgun but then I still can't convince myself to spend it on a 45 auto handgun. And I really should. Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi.

Update on the safe room door: 

We are just going to go with a regular inward swinging vault door hidden behind a regular pocket door, as was the original plan.

Strike one was that the fancy "panel vault door" only swings out.

Strike two was that the architect pointed out that the panel door would be more convincing if you could use regular molding around it, but you can't and in all of the installations he's seen, the supposedly "disguised" door sticks out like a sore thumb because of the big steel doorjamb surrounding it on the outside. 

So there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

A Wilson is on my bucket list. I will regularly spend the same amount of money on a shotgun but then I still can't convince myself to spend it on a 45 auto handgun. And I really should. Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi.

Load up the website and then have a few cocktails.  Go back, don’t think about it and put your credit card in.  Boom, you just bought yourself a bad ass pistol and didn’t allow your lousy brain to get in the way.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Go to 1911addicts.com and classified ads section.  A lot of custom 1911 pistols there.  I have a few and they are great.  I regularly carry LW Commanders in 9mm and .45 and have a government size that shoots one hole groups at 10 yards.  All built for me with the features I feel are most important.  It can be a great rabbit hole to go down.

• Hook 'Em 1

Different creatures for me.

The guardian by Dan Wesson is on my must have list. Bobbed and aluminum, it’s the tits.

Shadow (configurator is up at www.CZ configurator.com ) is on my want list but only in SA. Bronze frame would be my choice.

Wilson combats are fantastic - I’d just rather have other things.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:56 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

image_84588c2e-4045-4b3f-b2e7-5a71fd72c7

Some assembly required, but the fit is supposed to be extremely good, so it's mainly just finishing the wood and metal bits to how you like them.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/products/woodsrunner-rifle-kit-pre-order?variant=39687164821622

Had something similar from Cabela's year back - Hawken rifle kit.  Fun for a while.  Killed a small doe once.  

34 minutes ago, deft said:

That’s a pretty sweet piece. What brand?

Aero. They've been discontinued for last 12+ months, and I was on a notification list.  So I grabbed a few when they popped up.  Hoping some FDE models follow shortly.  Been relatively pleased with other Aero’s I’ve got. Pretty good midrange imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Santa brought me a few lowers as an early Christmas present. Putting a Form 1 in tomorrow on at least one, going to be a 300BO. Thinking one as a typical 16” 556, and the last one tbd. Running out of new chamberings, so might just shelf it for a minute. Going to put in for dedicated cans going forward.

2eb1fe41b718b9f1c609356c5b5ac4b1.jpg

I’ll check tomorrow and see if I got an fde one. We just got a bunch in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rudolph needed a second set of prints. Left me this. 

IWI Zion 15 12.5 pistol. My 5x Prism optic is way too big. Will need to shop for something 3x and smaller (suggestions welcome).

52579550651_894c5fe548_b.jpg  

Eh, looks fine to me. I like 5x. Size is good. 3x footprint isn’t that much smaller in a prism usually. I run a ar-536 on my 300bo 9” (fde)

efc4e7057e0751c9047f6082582c0bc8.png
Sig Romeo.

B047FF2C-9949-4809-8331-03E758719921.thumb.jpeg.7f8e905e4624fd916ee2f4e975f5ee38.jpeg

That gun needs a prism
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Moose’s xmas present to himself this year is to upgrade his standard AR-15 (5.56).

I’m not a gun geek and when I tried to go down the rabbit hole that is AR upgrades the sheer volume of choices hurt my head.

So I figured I’d just ask Surly what they would add to my Windham Weaponry MPC?

FA8CC46D-4AF3-4E86-A688-CA2074B77969.webp

Nothing...it's perfect as is.  Ok, maybe a sling, but I prefer simplicity.

Eotech + magnifier

Friends don’t let friends run EOtechs.

OP, remove the carry handle/rear sight and get an Aimpoint Pro red dot. I leave mine on all the time and get 2years + out of the battery. It will co-witness with your existing A2 front site out of the box and you can add a fold down Magpul rear MBUS. Magpul also has some small bits to add a short picatinny rail at the front of the hand guard to add a light off you wish. Get a good sling too and you should be good to go.

Here is a couple of pics of my Colt LE6920 Magpul showing the pic rail for the light and a QD swivel receiver on the hand guard.  Very basic upgrades,  easy to add and you don’t end up with a Swiss army AR with a bunch of shit hanging off of it that just gets in the way.

87F2ACC5-D08E-4C8A-A086-1B93D93A0EFF.jpeg

0E254348-0888-4B0E-917A-7CF76B25FCD2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Well I jumped into the semiautomatic pistol playground today with my starter gun, a Sig Sauer P320. Spent 2 days at the range with 1st LT BearSchlong jr and figured I’d start off with a gun identical to his issued sidearm.

Put 200 rounds through his Springfield Hellcat and it was a little too sporty so I decided to go full frame with something modular I can customize before I go full bore obsessed with building a collection.

I’ve always been a rifle, shotgun, and revolver guy but here goes.

I’ve enjoyed lurking on this thread for years.

My daughter put 100 rounds through a half dozen guns and decided on a Walther CCP 380 for her CC weapon. Surprising her with it tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Friends don’t let friends run EOtechs.

OP, remove the carry handle/rear sight and get an Aimpoint Pro red dot. I leave mine on all the time and get 2years + out of the battery. It will co-witness with your existing A2 front site out of the box and you can add a fold down Magpul rear MBUS. Magpul also has some small bits to add a short picatinny rail at the front of the hand guard to add a light off you wish. Get a good sling too and you should be good to go.

Question about optics…

Will the optics frost over if taken from inside a warm cabin to a very cold outside?

I mean we’re talking what could possibly be a 100 to 130 degree or more temperature change. Are they made for something like that?

Question about optics…
Will the optics frost over if taken from inside a warm cabin to a very cold outside?
I mean we’re talking what could possibly be a 100 to 130 degree or more temperature change. Are they made for something like that?

Frost up not really, fog up the outside of the lenses-yes if you haven’t treated them.

Not terribly tho, just like my hunting binocs and scopes, it’s worse if you breathe on them.

Moose’s xmas present to himself this year is to upgrade his standard AR-15 (5.56).
I’m not a gun geek and when I tried to go down the rabbit hole that is AR upgrades the sheer volume of choices hurt my head.
So I figured I’d just ask Surly what they would add to my Windham Weaponry MPC?
FA8CC46D-4AF3-4E86-A688-CA2074B77969.thumb.webp.f0988ac60bbce3013d15b6ef499d0fdd.webp

Remove the carry handle
Remove a2 front sight post
Remove a2 grip
Remove stock
Remove barrel and gas block
Remove handguard and delta ring
Remove trigger

Then call me
  • Haha 3

Remove the carry handle
Remove a2 front sight post
Remove a2 grip
Remove stock
Remove barrel and gas block
Remove handguard and delta ring
Remove trigger

Then call me

If you are gonna do all this shit, just start with a stripped lower and build up a receiver, then add whatever upper and
optics you want. Kinda silly to tear down a clone M4 and do all that when it’s much easier just to start from scratch. I mean, who has just one AR anyway?

14 hours ago, davidg said:

If you are gonna do all this shit, just start with a stripped lower and build up a receiver, then add whatever upper and
optics you want. Kinda silly to tear down a clone M4 and do all that when it’s much easier just to start from scratch. I mean, who has just one AR anyway?

Roethlisberger and whatnot. 

• Haha 2