The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

11 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Gave the boy his CZ 457 Scout for Xmas. He was absolutely floored. Took him to the gun range the next day. Spent a lot of time just going over a cadence that he can make sure is reproducible with every shot and I was very impressed with his composure and maturity (something he hasn’t shown much of when dealing with his little brother).

As an aside, was hilarious to hear his little brother (7) say when he realized his older brother got a real gun, “I can’t live in this house anymore! He’s gonna shoot me!”

Put about 150 rounds through it that day. About 75 at 5 yards and 75 at 10 just using iron sights. He’s a lefty, so took him a few attempts to get the hang of positioning with the stock on his right but he got it down like a champ. The target he’s holding up was the last 40 rounds or so. Center at 5 yd head at 10.

He asked for bbq for lunch and we sat outside at Pit Room eating our hearts out. Was just about the most perfect 4 hours I’ve ever spent with him 1:1 since, ever. Hoping for more.

bafc4181b19c6a9a13ea4c790bf14d84.jpg

This kind of time spent together is the best of life and I hope you savor it and get as much as possible while you can.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gave the boy his CZ 457 Scout for Xmas. He was absolutely floored. Took him to the gun range the next day. Spent a lot of time just going over a cadence that he can make sure is reproducible with every shot and I was very impressed with his composure and maturity (something he hasn’t shown much of when dealing with his little brother).

As an aside, was hilarious to hear his little brother (7) say when he realized his older brother got a real gun, “I can’t live in this house anymore! He’s gonna shoot me!”

Put about 150 rounds through it that day. About 75 at 5 yards and 75 at 10 just using iron sights. He’s a lefty, so took him a few attempts to get the hang of positioning with the stock on his right but he got it down like a champ. The target he’s holding up was the last 40 rounds or so. Center at 5 yd head at 10.

He asked for bbq for lunch and we sat outside at Pit Room eating our hearts out. Was just about the most perfect 4 hours I’ve ever spent with him 1:1 since, ever. Hoping for more.

bafc4181b19c6a9a13ea4c790bf14d84.jpg

Awesome, that’s the good stuff.
Oh, and on him being a lefty….take the time to figure out what his dominant eye is. I’m right handed for most things, but left eye dominant, so it shoot lefty. When I was 5-6, my dad kept correcting me and having me shoulder the .22 on my right. I shot terribly. He finally relented and said “just do what feels natural,” and I started knocking cans down easily. I’ve shot lefty ever since.
He may be the opposite - lefty in other things, but right eye dominant. I’m just suggesting that you check/confirm, getting it right will make shooting comfortable and natural for him.

I'm generally left handed, but I shoot rifles right handed and with pistols I’m equally mediocre in either hand. In basketball I dribble with my right hand and mostly shoot left. People are weird.

i’m not convinced eye dominance is as crucial as ergonomic comfort with a rifle except at very elite levels of performance. Lots of left handed people shoot rifle right handed very well, simply by learning to shoot that way.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

I'm generally left handed, but I shoot rifles right handed and with pistols I’m equally mediocre in either hand. In basketball I dribble with my right hand and mostly shoot left. People are weird.
i’m not convinced eye dominance is as crucial as ergonomic comfort with a rifle except at very elite levels of performance. Lots of left handed people shoot rifle right handed very well, simply by learning to shoot that way.

Maybe. I dunno. Just sharing my experience. It just felt natural to shoulder on my left side, and I went from struggling to get a shot on target to being utterly comfortable and a decent to good shot just by shifting, and later realized I am strongly left eye dominant. In the end, it’s about how you can make the rifle an extension of your body, and whichever side you can do that with best.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just a pre-Christmas afterthought - New PSA 5.56 complete lower with Magpul furniture to mate with the complete upper 1/7 twist.
Together they were $440 plus tax, shipping & transfer (for the lower). Hope it works.

Got a Magpul folding rear sight to add, and have a cheap Sig Romeo green dot to try.

A688B8F6-4CC2-407A-8D41-C6EA3484A8A2.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

I skateboard goofy footed too, but kick a football righty. Cast and throw lefty (does that mean I fish righty if I hate cranking a reel with my left hand?) golf righty, fork lefty, knife righty, draw a bowstring lefty. Handwriting is lefty.

As I was leaving Luby’s today I was thinking to myself “I wonder if Dan Crenshaw lost his dominant or weak eye?”

Then I drove a while with alternating eyes closed and decided life would be significantly harder if I lost my left rather than right eye.

39 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Cast and throw lefty (does that mean I fish righty if I hate cranking a reel with my left hand?)

Wait, do you not cast with one hand and reel with the other?  Speaking purely conventional baitcasting equipment, but the second that plug hits the water, that handle is engaged (right cast, left reel) 

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Lefty.  Shooting/writing, shooting a basketball, & throwing a baseball/football except for throwing sidearm, then it's righty

Bat & swing a golf club righty

Right eye dominant

Both you and me Buddy. 
Right handed golf clubs because Al’s family was poor and there were no left handed hand me downs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Are you making him shoot right handed because that’s how you shoot Fat Bastard? If he’s right eye dominant, that’s fine.

Nah, don’t really care if he shoots righty or lefty. He seemed to do just fine with shooting righty. Main reason I wanted him to shoot righty with this rifle is the ejection port is on the right. Will work on finding out his eye dominance pretty soon. This exercise was mostly for him getting the steps/safety down. We practiced at least 50x at home with eject-safety-load-trigger discipline-acquire-hot-shoot before we even went to the range and he fumbled a couple of times but by shot 50-75 he had it down perfectly. 

if anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears. Don’t claim to be an expert or anything. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

if anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears. Don’t claim to be an expert or anything. 

Nope. Steps and safety down are most important. That said, comfort and repetitiveness plays a huge part. Get his eyes figured out and start there. It’s difficult (I found it impossible) to switch later in life, and I tried. A lot. 

• Like 1

Nope. Steps and safety down are most important. That said, comfort and repetitiveness plays a huge part. Get his eyes figured out and start there. It’s difficult (I found it impossible) to switch later in life, and I tried. A lot. 

Yep. You did right by focusing on what’s important first.
Figure out the dominant eye next. And don’t worry about the ejection side - all my guns are right handed. If I’m shouting the 10/22, occasionally I get a hot shell on my arm. Nothing else has given me a problem. I even work right hand bolt actions just fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Took boy out to range again today. Practiced eye-dominance at home and he’s very clearly left handed and right eye dominant. Will pose some challenges for him in the future as he’s gonna have to get confident holding heavier weapons with his right as he gets older but this .22 is no problem for him. Took him out to 15 yards today and really focused on accuracy and precision. Had tight groups when he took his time, practiced his breathing, and firing. When he thought he had it down and tried to go faster is when he started to spray about 2” off target. All in all, a very productive day. Tonight, we clean the rifle

Edited by Fat Bastard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Yea....submitted my form 1 on 12/8, prints arrived on 12/12 and got approval today.

I didn't realize that there was such a stark difference between the form 1 and 4 turnaround times. Why is that?  Shouldn't the processing time be similar, or is there some reason that form 4s take so much longer. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I didn't realize that there was such a stark difference between the form 1 and 4 turnaround times. Why is that?  Shouldn't the processing time be similar, or is there some reason that form 4s take so much longer. 

No idea.....I'm on 206 days with my current form 4.  My theory is that they are getting SBR approvals done quick to encourage more and more people to do it.  They want your $200.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

No idea.....I'm on 206 days with my current form 4.  My theory is that they are getting SBR approvals done quick to encourage more and more people to do it.  They want your $200.

I put in one a few weeks ago.  They told me they were running 30 days.  Also put in a form 4 but not expecting anything back on it for a while.  Trying to protect your hearing?  Fuck you!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Anyone know a gunsmith in Houston that is good and can thread barrels on rifle for suppressors?  Got a SilencerCo Omega finally and want to have it attach to a couple different rifles.

Omar Alonzo in Pasadena.  Supreme rifle maker.  Incredible work.

713 283 4348

Insta:  gunbuilder284

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 4

You might try calling a safe dealer and asking about their delivery contractors.

In other news (nsiap): Federal appeals court says Trump bump stock ban is unconstitutional. Plaintiff in the suit is gun shop owner & 2nd Amendment activist Michael Cargill of Austin.

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firearmspolicyfoundation/pages/3970/attachments/original/1673045236/Cargill_v_Garland_En_Banc_Opinion.pdf

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I want that rifle

The current wait is mitigated by checkering being a 3 month lead but will be worth the wait. Having 2" of barrel cut off and re-crowned to complement the Alex Henry style foreend. It will have an ebony tip in lieu of shooting stick grooves. No front sight as per the pic, will mount a slim (36 or 42mm obj) variable Z3 Swarovski. Grip cap and red Kick-EEZ pad will be the same. 

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Don’t really know why I keep buying these things because they have little appeal to me, but my kids & grandkids think they are cool. Wheel guns & little semiautos are my thing. Guess I’m just an accumulator.

E072E0EE-46B5-489F-B48C-59DFA3C36D15.jpeg

You taking applications for adoption?  I could use some free gifted firearms in my life.  😉

• Like 1