The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Talk to me about sights.  I recently got a SA Saint 556 that came with flip up open sights.  I'm starting to look around for something that would be good for quick shots inside 100 yards most of the time.  Riding around/stalking for hogs and being able to get on them quick without struggling to pick them up in the scope.

Would something like this be good?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-x-compact-red-dot-sight-1x20mm-2-moa-red-dot-0-5-moa-adj-aaa-m1.html

I've been shooting deer rifles my whole life but am a noob on this stuff so any input would be appreciated.

Romeo makes a good product.  For quick shots, avoid anything with magnification as it takes long to acquire a target.  For a sub-100yd shot, all you need is a red dot

• Hook 'Em 2

Talk to me about sights.  I recently got a SA Saint 556 that came with flip up open sights.  I'm starting to look around for something that would be good for quick shots inside 100 yards most of the time.  Riding around/stalking for hogs and being able to get on them quick without struggling to pick them up in the scope.
Would something like this be good?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-x-compact-red-dot-sight-1x20mm-2-moa-red-dot-0-5-moa-adj-aaa-m1.html
I've been shooting deer rifles my whole life but am a noob on this stuff so any input would be appreciated.

I disagree slightly with baby yaga.

I’d get an LPVO.

Although Romeo 5 is good gear, you’ll appreciate the much added accuracy of an Lpvo.

I’m interested in playing a game of canjam in the 7.62 variety. Need something reliable and sturdy but don’t need top of the line.

Would you also recommend the Sandman for that purpose?

They are tanks.

They do a good job at suppression as well. These videos are all at night taken when we are done hogging so you can’t see much but you can hear my cans. (Sorry if links are wonky, I’m on tapa)

Also I have the ebrake on both cans

Sandman K on a 16” 5.56 with supers

Sandman K on 300blk with supers

Sandman S on 300blk with supers

Sandman S on Galil 7.62x39 with supers

Sandman S on .308 12” with supers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But the extremely long wait time to get one is very discouraging, not to mention setting up a trust.
What a hassle.

It’s a hassle but worth it.  But be prepared because you will end up buying more than one. I bought my first can (Omega 9k for my Scorpion) in 2018.  I’m now up to 7 cans.  Next one will be a .22 can. 

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 1

Went out to try a new p80 build with my holosun 508t on it. Damn if it didn’t double fire. It would fire when the trigger pulled but also when the trigger was released allowing the slide to go back into the last few mm of battery.
I was going to take out the connector and check the crucible engagement but then the whole pistol fell out of the boat. There’s gotta be a lot of them down there by now.

4 hours ago, deft said:

Went out to try a new p80 build with my holosun 508t on it. Damn if it didn’t double fire. It would fire when the trigger pulled but also when the trigger was released allowing the slide to go back into the last few mm of battery.
I was going to take out the connector and check the crucible engagement but then the whole pistol fell out of the boat. There’s gotta be a lot of them down there by now.

8502B0BA-3AF8-4798-A3FA-98BAC9F4041F.jpeg

On 1/29/2023 at 9:43 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

51-DDDAFB-B56-F-40-A9-99-F4-2701-B630811

I have a buddy that has a pre 1983 (or is it 84?) AR15 full auto.  Paid 20K for it, but it is worth more now.  

I shot maybe 2 or 3 mags out of it, and while it was fun, I was over it that quick.  He agreed and says he never shoots it. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

60 years ago went jackrabbit hunting on a friend’s ranch. Shot his WW2 Thompson on full auto for several bursts that emptied a stick. Fun, but not very practical.

Friend of mine has one and brings it whenever we do a hog hunting/beer drinking weekend.  Fun (and expensive) as hell to shoot. Amazing how heaving those damn things are.  I can't imagine hauling around for very long looking for Nazis to whack as the soldiers did in WW2.   Until I find a way to mount a thermal scope on it, it doesn't have much practical use. 

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’d contact a NFA lawyer to be sure, but yeah, I think it’s gonna be another stamp.

Yup - pretty much what it boils down to.  So, logically, I should just buy another can under a trust, right?  That just seems like the the obvious move.  My wife may disagree but what does she know.  

• Haha 1

Yup - pretty much what it boils down to.  So, logically, I should just buy another can under a trust, right?  That just seems like the the obvious move.  My wife may disagree but what does she know.  

I would. You might look at the single shot trusts silencer shop does if you just wanted to have one on it.

Pulled the trigger on a Seekins custom shop Havak Element in 28 Nosler this week. I had seen and checked 1 out at Scheels up in dfw metromess in early dec in a 6.5 prc. Check out the store if you ever up there. I had been in 1 up in Great Falls Montana years ago while on an elk hunt. Great stores. Best hunting store imho
Just got the new rifle itch for a 7 rem mag and ended up on the 28 Nosler.
Now I wait. Should be a goodin.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

FYI, the brace rule was published in the Federal Register today. You have 120 days to take care of business barring any sort of legal challenges or anything that makes it go away.

So will it be enough to just remove the brace and throw it in a drawer, or will you get in trouble for even owning a brace that fits a pistol you own? 

Braced pistols aren't illegal, just ones configured to be fired from the shoulder, so you might be ok. They weren't exactly clear. Of course, if it was always an SBR and not a pistol, then you can't legally convert it to a pistol by removing the brace, despite that being one of the remedies the ATF lists.

Ok, so it looks like if you have an AR rifle and a braced pistol that is now an SBR, you can simply remove the brace without destroying it because it is a part that can be installed on your rifle. However, if the braced "pistol" is the only firearm that it could potentially be installed on, then you probably have to get rid of it. Obviously, this is only true if the new rule survives. The likelihood of it being enforced is not high for the common person, however, we always need test cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Ok, so it looks like if you have an AR rifle and a braced pistol that is now an SBR, you can simply remove the brace without destroying it because it is a part that can be installed on your rifle. However, if the braced "pistol" is the only firearm that it could potentially be installed on, then you probably have to get rid of it. Obviously, this is only true if the new rule survives. The likelihood of it being enforced is not high for the common person, however, we always need test cases.

Or, just hear me out, find a friend with a boat.

I need a new pistol.  Looking for something I can carry concealed.  Want a 9mm.  I currently do not own a 9 mm.  I have 45s, a 5.7, several wheel guns of various calibers, a 40, a 380, and Sig 357.  They are all either too large for concealed carry or too small.  I want something in the middle I can carry comfortably but still has a decent mag capacity.  I like Sigs and Glocks, as I have found both very reliable.  I am 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds.  I wear a sports coat most days.  I keep a pistol in my truck safe.  And when I exercise in my neighborhood, I carry a very small Kel Tec .380 with a six shot capacity.

What pistol would fit and any recommendations on an IWB holster?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I like the Sig P365 but I really prefer a hammer vs being striker fired. Maybe I’m old school, just like being able to mess with the hammer.

Complete opposite, at least for a carry gun.  I do enjoy SA at the range though.

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm a big fan of Norma ammo, myself.  

I’ve still got a full case of Norma 10mm made the first year they started commercially loading for the 10mm in the 80’s.  It was lost for a long time, hidden behind some boxes of clay pigeons.  One of these days I need to see what it’s worth if I broke it up and sold it by the box.  I have to think there is a market out there for it. 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, RMac5 said:

I like the Sig P365 but I really prefer a hammer vs being striker fired. Maybe I’m old school, just like being able to mess with the hammer.

If the budget allows, look at Lionheart Industries with the bobbed hammer.  Serious carry gun. 

• Hook 'Em 1