The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 2/4/2023 at 9:43 PM, 686 said:

My buddy told the guy they needed to seriously consider opening a gun shop, but they ended up inventorying the guns and making a deal for the lot with a high end gun shop at 70% of appraised retail.

Which gun shop, for those who might be interested in what they have seen or might see?

11 minutes ago, 686 said:

Dury’s in San Antonio

Yep, sorry, edit time elapsed before I could edit post. 

To atone, some mild gun pron.  My nightvision rig - DPMS GII Hunter 308 with ancient ATN X-Site II 5-20x that still gets the job done.  Death Grip tripods are excellent.

815737775_DPMSGII.thumb.jpeg.d1401b21f0b4cdedf26f6f7557bedfc5.jpeg

1026814885_DPMSGIIInPlace.thumb.jpeg.da18773baacdc83ba15dede142fbc0d6.jpeg

About 30 pigs down on this one.

Looking forward to upgrading to thermal one day.

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 686 said:

The whole collection was sold to Dury’s in San Antonio before I posted it, sorry. I think they are opening up a bigger online sales operation via GB.

Dang.  They always start their auctions low, which IMO, drives the price up. People get invested early instead of blowing off a 1,000 opening bid.   I’ll definitely keep their GB page up for the next few weeks, though. 

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

I had a snake charmer years and years ago. To button to break the gun broke and I was pretty bummed since they are out of business.

Went to see a buddy who has a pawn shop and we started talking about it, he smiled and had 2 but made by Rossi. Less than 200 out the door. 12093bc9fa957315b64ba7dcc675f9d5.jpg

I actually like that better than the OG snake charmer. Didn’t like the shell storage in the butt plate. 

• Like 2

If this .410 doesn’t hit close to home. Great gun, would recommend. I also had one, but passed it on to family a few years ago. Now I have been looking to pull the trigger on another one for a while.

My thought has been to pick up a AR-15 upper in .410. Simply because I now have several lowers just waiting to be put into service! Also, I have the thought of it being a great training aid (to go along with the M&P 15-22) for the next generation.

Anyone here have experience with .410 upper on their AR? There are several import variants, and one from Bear Creek, a US outfit. Don’t mind imports, but if a local, home grown product is available at or near the same price…

27 minutes ago, General Specific said:

If this .410 doesn’t hit close to home. Great gun, would recommend. I also had one, but passed it on to family a few years ago. Now I have been looking to pull the trigger on another one for a while.

My thought has been to pick up a AR-15 upper in .410. Simply because I now have several lowers just waiting to be put into service! Also, I have the thought of it being a great training aid (to go along with the M&P 15-22) for the next generation.

Anyone here have experience with .410 upper on their AR? There are several import variants, and one from Bear Creek, a US outfit. Don’t mind imports, but if a local, home grown product is available at or near the same price…

I bought a Saiga .410 a few years ago. It's a fun little shotgun. I didn't know you could adapt AR platform to .410.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Specific said:

Also, I have the thought of it being a great training aid (to go along with the M&P 15-22) for the next generation.

How do you like that?  I was picking up a rifle from my FFL and he had one on the shelf.  It was only like $500 and it felt very quality.  I almost threw it in as a last minute Christmas gift to the kiddos but figured wife would be unimpressed if left with none, came home with 2 deal.  

Eta - nvm. It was an HK .22 I was thinking of.   Brain fog this AM.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, RMac5 said:

I’m amazed at how many folks don’t own a gun safe. For the price of one nice rifle you can lock up a dozen long guns and several pistols. 

^^This^^ But be careful when buying one. Few of them are rated safes, most are secure storage cabinets. Go on YouTube and see how easy it it to break in to most of them sold in retail stores. You definitely want to spend a little more and get a good one. Search on Craigslist for real UL rated safes too. You would be surprised what you can find with a little patience. I found two jewelers safes for sale a few years ago. 1 1/4" thick steel walls and door, 4000 lbs each. I don't have anything that valuable but after a home break in a few years ago I realized I have a lot of  lot of sentimental stuff I'd like to protect. A buddy of mine and I got them for $400 each because the guy didn't want to mess with them. At the time they retailed for $8K. We had to rent 5000 lbs forklift to move them but we did it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Ruger .44 carbine at auction.  Late 60’s production. 

Under $900 all in including buyers premium and shipping.   Don’t have a use for it.  Just checking a box.  Wanted one.  Might need to pair it with a Super Blackhawk - probably wouldn’t ever carry both at the same time on the lease but I could pretend I will to justify it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Got a question for some of you shooters versed in legalese. My neighbor down the road, who I shoot with regularly posed a question, that despite some research(conflicting,  confusing information. I don't feel comfortable answering. He was talking about how bad he was wanting to get a Glock model 19(?). I told him "hell get one, they're cheap enough". So there lies the problem. A little over 20 years ago he was involved in some kind of domestic abuse mess. He said there was no conviction,  but rather it resulted in a deferred adjudication. He said he has been allowed to own guns, buy ammunition etc, but remembers being told he couldn't buy a firearm.  He showed me different articles online, some saying he could, some saying he couldn't and some saying he could after 10 years.  Don't know whether some of this is bad information or whether it varies from state to state.  I told him to consult with a lawyer, but "I ain't spending no money on a lawyer unless I have to". 

I told him just to go to try buying one but he's afraid he'd get flagged for trying to do something he's not supposed to.

What say yes Surly? What is the verdict?

Edited by SHOOTER12

Technically he is fucked federally.

He can own a firearm/ammunition in Texas for protection but he can’t carry.

Federally a deferred adjudication still counts as a conviction and hence the 11.I question applies on a 4473. Which would result in a 922g violation(I think)

I think he can file for a motion for non-disclosure which will seal his adjudication.

Best to get a real attys opinion though.

• Like 1

It's as clear as mud but here are two sources of info, state and federal. 

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/carry-of-firearms

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter44&edition=prelim 

I had a buddy in a similar situation but I believe he was convicted for shoving his wife on a bed before he left the house after an argument. I don't know the whole story but I know her mother hated him with every ounce of her being and went after him like a pit bull to break them up. All I know is he couldn't posses anything other than something for defensive purposes in his own home. 

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Ruger .44 carbine at auction.  Late 60’s production. 

Under $900 all in including buyers premium and shipping.   Don’t have a use for it.  Just checking a box.  Wanted one.  Might need to pair it with a Super Blackhawk - probably wouldn’t ever carry both at the same time on the lease but I could pretend I will to justify it. 

Those are hard to find for under $1K.

Got a question for some of you shooters versed in legalese. My neighbor down the road, who I shoot with regularly posed a question, that despite some research(conflicting,  confusing information. I don't feel comfortable answering. He was talking about how bad he was wanting to get a Glock model 19(?). I told him "hell get one, they're cheap enough". So there lies the problem. A little over 20 years ago he was involved in some kind of domestic abuse mess. He said there was no conviction,  but rather it resulted in a deferred adjudication. He said he has been allowed to own guns, buy ammunition etc, but remembers being told he couldn't buy a firearm.  He showed me different articles online, some saying he could, some saying he couldn't and some saying he could after 10 years.  Don't know whether some of this is bad information or whether it varies from state to state.  I told him to consult with a lawyer, but "I ain't spending no money on a lawyer unless I have to". 
I told him just to go to try buying one but he's afraid he'd get flagged for trying to do something he's not supposed to.

Speedyrucker has the scent.

He’d be lying on a federal form - and he would also be breaking the law by being in a gun store.

Tell him to go to courthouse and get a background check done.
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

He’d be lying on a federal form - and he would also be breaking the law by being in a gun store.

Thanks brother. He kept asking me what he should and told him I DONT KNOW 

*but might know some people who do...

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

In what state was the charge?

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Technically he is fucked federally.

He can own a firearm/ammunition in Texas for protection but he can’t carry.

Federally a deferred adjudication still counts as a conviction and hence the 11.I question applies on a 4473. Which would result in a 922g violation(I think)

I think he can file for a motion for non-disclosure which will seal his adjudication.

Best to get a real attys opinion though.

This is wrong.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Also wrong. 
And you don’t get background checks at the courthouse.

If I know the state, exact criminal charge and correct disposition of the case, I can answer the question. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Those are hard to find for under $1K.

Correct!  That’s the only reason I got this one. 
I have a fairly disciplined approach at auction and put in bids for probably 50 items for every one I buy.  I try pretty damn hard to let them come to me vs. chasing and I try to stay off Gunbroker as a general rule- except to use their sold data for research.

I’ve chased a couple of items and paid through the nose but as a rule I don’t get caught up in the bidding action. 

58 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

In what state was the charge?

This is wrong.

55 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Also wrong. 
And you don’t get background checks at the courthouse.

If I know the state, exact criminal charge and correct disposition of the case, I can answer the question. 

It was in Texas, and if I remember correctly he said it was misdemeanor domestic violence. Would the deferred adjudication be the disposition of the case?

Edited by SHOOTER12

If Texas and the charge was a class A misdemeanor assault bodily injury - family violence and the disposition was a successfully completed (dismissed) deferred adjudication, then it is not a conviction under Texas law or federal law. What is a conviction under federal law is determined by the law of the state where the conviction occurred. While a successfully completed deferred counts as a conviction for enhancement purposes (increased punishment for subsequent offense), the state of Texas doesn’t not consider a deferred a conviction.

And therefore the possession of a firearm or ammunition would not violate Texas law, ch 46 of the Texas Penal Code, or federal firearm law, 18 USC 922.

There was mention above of an order of non disclosure (AKA sealing). It is not permitted for family violence cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

If Texas and the charge was a class A misdemeanor assault bodily injury - family violence and the disposition was a successfully completed (dismissed) deferred adjudication, then it is not a conviction under Texas law or federal law. What is a conviction under federal law is determined by the law of the state where the conviction occurred. While a successfully completed deferred counts as a conviction for enhancement purposes (increased punishment for subsequent offense), the state of Texas doesn’t not consider a deferred a conviction.

And therefore the possession of a firearm or ammunition would not violate Texas law, ch 46 of the Texas Penal Code, or federal firearm law, 18 USC 922.

There was mention above of an order of non disclosure (AKA sealing). It is not permitted for family violence cases.

Holy crap, all this is way over my head. I'm just going to tell him no just to be safe, or am I misinterpreting something?

Edit: never talking to neighbors again on crazy shit. Tempted to tell him to go for it just to watch the fireworks. 

Edited by SHOOTER12

13 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

An important caveat is that if the above is correct (I AM NOT A TEXAS LAWYER SO DO NOT KNOW), if he moves some states look at the charge and apply their own state law about what would have happened in that state under those facts. Which could make him disqualified. 

He needs to consult with an attorney. If he's disqualified because of his criminal history (whatever it is), he cannot possess firearms either and could be in trouble. 

23 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I get irritated with people like this.  He asks you for your advice, you give him very sound advice, and he responds by shitting on your advice.  I would have responded by telling him that he can either voluntarily talk to a lawyer now, or he may have to talk to a lawyer later.  His choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

I get irritated with people like this.  He asks you for your advice, you give him very sound advice, and he responds by shitting on your advice.  I would have responded by telling him that he can either voluntarily talk to a lawyer now, or he may have to talk to a lawyer later.  His choice.

Me too, but I kind of feel sorry for the guy for reasons I can get into here. If it were anyone else, I'd have done exactly that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is slightly off target, but I could use recommendations on a good chronograph. I hesitate to buy shit off Amazon because there is so much Chinese crap with fake reviews. I’m hoping to find something USA or European made, but if it has to be made in China, I at least want a reputable brand that designed it. I can afford more than I want to spend, but I’m old enough to be in the buy once, cry once club. Like much of what I buy these days, this will be my last. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

So is the brace registration rule just basically a free tax stamp for anyone that declares that they have a brace on the lower? So I just go and buy a cheap brace and get a free $200 tax stamp. Am I understanding this correctly. 

Edited by Anastasis

This is slightly off target, but I could use recommendations on a good chronograph. I hesitate to buy shit off Amazon because there is so much Chinese crap with fake reviews. I’m hoping to find something USA or European made, but if it has to be made in China, I at least want a reputable brand that designed it. I can afford more than I want to spend, but I’m old enough to be in the buy once, cry once club. Like much of what I buy these days, this will be my last. 

I have a Shooting Chrony that is 20+ years old. Still worked last time I used it but the company is out of business now so that doesn’t help you much.

Buying new I might try one of the Pact models if I didn’t decide to go 1%er with a LabRadar. That or the Magneto speed are the tits. Looking online ai see Magneto has a less expensive model. I would probably try that unless it has a bunch of bad reviews.
  • Like 1

So is the brace registration rule just basically a free tax stamp for anyone that declares that they have a brace on the lower? So I just go and buy a cheap brace and get a free $200 tax stamp. Am I understanding this correctly. 

Pretty sure the purchase date had to be before it got signed and so that’s a no go. But who the hell knows. I was told here to just wait. So I did. Then my kayak went to davey Jones locker with all arms on board.
  • Hook 'Em 1