The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I could use some .357 right now, bit I don't know that I need that much. My Winchester 73 will jam up if you load the magazine up with .38 special and you end up having to pull the end cap off to empty it and unjam the rifle.

I had this problem with my son’s .357/.38 lever action rifle. Since I reloaded his .38 ammo, based on pistol recoil using 125 gr bullets, I had to make sure the OAL of the round was seated to .357 dimensions. Shorter .38 rounds that were fine in pistols were very finicky in his rifle, causing failure to feed/cycle properly.

Hook’em!

On 3/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, Armybrat said:

In 1956 my Grandpa gave me his little .410 Winchester Model 42 made in 1947. The blue is still about 98%. It has the solid rib barrel with full choke.
I last fired it in 1965.

D2EFCA91-E2E2-40E1-8D4F-498F0346B840.jpeg

D0E93B3E-F008-4E90-A4A2-98B809656A87.jpeg

Nice!  Looks to be in even better shape than my 1956 Model 42.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, Armybrat said:

In 1956 my Grandpa gave me his little .410 Winchester Model 42 made in 1947. The blue is still about 98%. It has the solid rib barrel with full choke.
I last fired it in 1965.

D2EFCA91-E2E2-40E1-8D4F-498F0346B840.jpeg

D0E93B3E-F008-4E90-A4A2-98B809656A87.jpeg

Color me jealous!  I’d love to have a 42!

That’s a beautiful shotgun. 

On 3/6/2023 at 10:20 PM, fattyflattie said:

Picked this up to build…something. Already several of each of my favorite, meat and potato chamberings, most set up for a variety of bullet weights. Thinking maybe 300prc? I dunno. Right now, needs a new pad and to have the studs inletted.

6e4ce0403fc2c5f9910abc663508b2c1.jpg
9db028a5030c66e8821ca34037495f26.jpg

Beautiful stock!

15 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Beautiful stock!

Thanks.  I’ve got three (more) of them in various stages of build. 2 long, 2 short.  All supergrade actions, all have med-Varmint to sendero contour barrels. One is out for some checkering work and stock channeling at the moment.  I’ve got a pretty nice set of 70’s, aside from those. 

This is going to end up in the stratosphere, but got my eye on this guy at the moment.  It’s going to go high though. High enough to where you can buy a Cooper or something much nicer in that $$$ range.  Still a nice one, in a fantastic chambering. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/974359713

• Like 1

Thanks.  I’ve got three (more) of them in various stages of build. 2 long, 2 short.  All supergrade actions, all have med-Varmint to sendero contour barrels. One is out for some checkering work and stock channeling at the moment.  I’ve got a pretty nice set of 70’s, aside from those. 

This is going to end up in the stratosphere, but got my eye on this guy at the moment.  It’s going to go high though. High enough to where you can buy a Cooper or something much nicer in that $$$ range.  Still a nice one, in a fantastic chambering. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/974359713

Ive got a customer looking for one of these. Thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Ive got a customer looking for one of these. Thanks for posting.

For a .222 or the 700, or both?  There’s a really great early 60’s Sako .222 on there I keep having to pass on.  I’ll be in on this one for way too long, but at some point I’ll bow out I’m sure. Maybe it surprises, but 700’s have been going way too high imo.  There’s a few BDL .222’s not nearly this nice for 25-2600 right now. 

For a .222 or the 700, or both?  There’s a really great early 60’s Sako .222 on there I keep having to pass on.  I’ll be in on this one for way too long, but at some point I’ll bow out I’m sure. Maybe it surprises, but 700’s have been going way too high imo.  There’s a few BDL .222’s not nearly this nice for 25-2600 right now. 

222 - preferable Remington. He loves that cartridge.

FINALLY got my Ruger Integrally Suppressed Barrel (ISB) out of NFA jail.  Mated it to my 10/22 Takedown 21133.  Trying out a Monstrum Marksman 3x30 prism on it - so far, great little fixed optic.  Can’t wait to deploy the rifle for varmint control at the farm.  Pics to follow in the hunting thread.
7D5248EC-9A8F-4C8B-8D38-F7EE25AC6F03.thumb.jpeg.db9c86f7f5e15ac96733481ef6149333.jpeg

62859C9C-7C65-4E97-B257-553BD2161C45.thumb.jpeg.9651a0c361c4b08d8c42f1b06e105198.jpeg

Double barreled 10-22. Awesome.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Handcruser said:

222 - preferable Remington. He loves that cartridge.

I missed on a 788 in .222 recently and I'm kicking myself.  The 788 was a cheap-ass short action rifle with a shitty trigger and safety, but for some weird twist of fate the gun-gods made them shoot one-hole groups out of the box.  People have caught-on and their prices have gotten a bit steep at auction but I'd love to have a .222 in that rig for knocking around. 

I have the .243 and .223 but forgot to put in an absentee bid on this .222 and let it slip by.  Cool little cartridge.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/9/2023 at 4:48 PM, Reagan1k said:

I missed on a 788 in .222 recently and I'm kicking myself.  The 788 was a cheap-ass short action rifle with a shitty trigger and safety, but for some weird twist of fate the gun-gods made them shoot one-hole groups out of the box.  People have caught-on and their prices have gotten a bit steep at auction but I'd love to have a .222 in that rig for knocking around. 

I have the .243 and .223 but forgot to put in an absentee bid on this .222 and let it slip by.  Cool little cartridge.

That’s funny about the 788. I never knew they were shooters and can’t tell you how many I’ve passed on.   People have also figured out the model 7 and blew them up too.  I was lucky enough to snag a gorgeous 243 model 7 years ago. It’s a shooter, too. 

That Paterson is a beauty!  I’ve never seen a Paterson repro in stainless-is that in the white?  My father had a Cimarron Navy conversion in .38 Special-great “feel” and pointed like a forefinger. “Sights” were useless to me.  Definitely a point and boom interface.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

That Paterson is a beauty!  I’ve never seen a Paterson repro in stainless-is that in the white?  My father had a Cimarron Navy conversion in .38 Special-great “feel” and pointed like a forefinger. “Sights” were useless to me.  Definitely a point and boom interface.

Don’t know - just saw it on a gun board the other day. 
I kinda like those reproduction open tops.

Here is an original that my dad bought in Mexico 60 years ago. It appears some vaquero did a back room cantina job on it - cut the barrel, removed the ejector housing, reconverted it from .38 rimfire to centerfire, then nickeled it (just a small amount of that finish remains on the trigger grip frame).

36995DE2-2D30-454D-99FB-BFE1012D9711.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This past week I was shopping at Academy for a bore light after my 40 year old one quit functioning due to the switch failing. Couldn’t find one anywhere on the racks, so I asked the old guy behind the counter.
 It surprised me that he didn’t know what I was asking for - he thought I meant a bore-sighting light. He acted like he had never seen or heard of a bore light used to inspect the bore, as I clearly described it to him. 
One would think that a 50 or 60-something dude who had been behind a gun counter for years would know what I was talking about.

WTF?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

This past week I was shopping at Academy for a bore light after my 40 year old one quit functioning due to the switch failing. Couldn’t find one anywhere on the racks, so I asked the old guy behind the counter.
 It surprised me that he didn’t know what I was asking for - he thought I meant a bore-sighting light. He acted like he had never seen or heard of a bore light used to inspect the bore, as I clearly described it to him. 
One would think that a 50 or 60-something dude who had been behind a gun counter for years would know what I was talking about.

WTF?

That guy at Academy has been there 2 weeks, but looks 50-60. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Armybrat said:

939427E6-2967-4E1F-9AA9-4FDC5C712CCC.webp

There's little innovation in the bolt-game for rifles.  Manufacturers have played around with synthetic stock/barrel options, but the only real innovation options are the calibers.  Before the CM craze it was the 7-08, which under 500yds, outperforms the 6.5 in almost every way.

Weatherby figured this out early

What's funny is the venerable .260 Rem is still the king that nobody talks about.