The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up around guns like many of us here, I was exposed to them pretty early by default (protection against packs of coyotes and rattle snakes if we wandered off into the deep deserts of West Texas).

Now I live in the city, and I don’t have a “natural” way of easing my little ones into the fundamentals of simply being “around” weapons and what that means. The lessons that were taught to me were simple, we needed them for protection against animals…so integrated lessons were fun and there was an actual purpose behind it. In the city, it’s harder to just say, let’s walk around with our .22 so I can show you how to fend off coyotes if needed. I’m not gonna use the lesson of, let’s walk around the city to show you how to fend off bad people.

Well, with the world we live in…it sucks to say but I’m educating my 4 and 2.5 year old now (much earlier than I wanted) with some ultra basic language and behaviors while around a “gun”. Calling them “little guns for now”.

I exposed them to a nerf gun recently, shooting at plastic bottles and little items for them to try and knock down (don’t aim at people or heads…it could hurt them etc). They haven’t seen the air soft gun nor the red ryder rifle.

Eventually, I want them to know what these “tools” do, and how dangerous they are if not handled properly. I will progress to the bigger guns after a few months/years with each etc.

I don’t even know why im posting this here, but maybe it helps someone else think about how to educate our children early on. Guns aren’t going/leaving anywhere in this country, for me, it’s better to educate our children for the obvious purpose of safety/practice and for them to start recognizing any potential future dangers quickly if needed. Better than having them be clueless about what is going on during an emergency.

TLDR; the pic shows the progression I’ll use to introduce my little ones into the world of gun safety/knowledge before I even get to a .22.ec37e2d21e9455ef15505b2c6f88a4a0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:23 AM, texas08 said:

I grew up around guns like many of us here, I was exposed to them pretty early by default (protection against packs of coyotes and rattle snakes if we wandered off into the deep deserts of West Texas).

Now I live in the city, and I don’t have a “natural” way of easing my little ones into the fundamentals of simply being “around” weapons and what that means. The lessons that were taught to me were simple, we needed them for protection against animals…so integrated lessons were fun and there was an actual purpose behind it. In the city, it’s harder to just say, let’s walk around with our .22 so I can show you how to fend off coyotes if needed. I’m not gonna use the lesson of, let’s walk around the city to show you how to fend off bad people.

Well, with the world we live in…it sucks to say but I’m educating my 4 and 2.5 year old now (much earlier than I wanted) with some ultra basic language and behaviors while around a “gun”. Calling them “little guns for now”.

I exposed them to a nerf gun recently, shooting at plastic bottles and little items for them to try and knock down (don’t aim at people or heads…it could hurt them etc). They haven’t seen the air soft gun nor the red ryder rifle.

Eventually, I want them to know what these “tools” do, and how dangerous they are if not handled properly. I will progress to the bigger guns after a few months/years with each etc.

I don’t even know why im posting this here, but maybe it helps someone else think about how to educate our children early on. Guns aren’t going/leaving anywhere in this country, for me, it’s better to educate our children for the obvious purpose of safety/practice and for them to start recognizing any potential future dangers quickly if needed. Better than having them be clueless about what is going on during an emergency.

TLDR; the pic shows the progression I’ll use to introduce my little ones into the world of gun safety/knowledge before I even get to a .22.ec37e2d21e9455ef15505b2c6f88a4a0.jpg

Have them help you disassemble and assemble your guns when you clean them.  Show them how they work, and possibly do dry-firing exercises with them before you take them to a range to practice.

Proximity and familiarity are your two best teaching assets early on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Contemplating sending my Beretta 92F off to Wilson Combat for a makeover.
Anyone use them before?

OK y'all, I post here with the upmost in humility.  

I'm a guy that likes guns, but I'm not necessarily a "gun guy".  But, I've had that Beretta on my shopping list for a while.

So, exactly why would one send one out for a combat makeover, and what, exactly, would the makeover consist of?   If you don't like the gun the way Beretta made it, wouldn't it make more sense to buy something else?

Again, not flinging poo here, just ignorant. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So, exactly why would one send one out for a combat makeover, and what, exactly, would the makeover consist of?   If you don't like the gun the way Beretta made it, wouldn't it make more sense to buy something else?

Someone who really likes their Beretta, but understands it’s mass produced, and are things that can be improved on with a custom smith.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

OK y'all, I post here with the upmost in humility.  

I'm a guy that likes guns, but I'm not necessarily a "gun guy".  But, I've had that Beretta on my shopping list for a while.

Again, not flinging poo here, just ignorant. 

You have to factor in the production priorities and the priorities of the individual shooter.  Take the trigger.  Most production triggers are extremely heavy to help novice shooters avoid NDs (negligent discharges) because the pull is too light.

A more experienced shooter always wants a lighter pull for more accurate follow up shots.  

Then you have optics.  My guess is the OEM sights are night sights, but if not, that is the first upgrade I'd make.  Grips are another easy mod if you prefer custom or something with more grip/tacky.  If you want to really go down the rabbit hole, there are custom (match) barrels you can get if you are really operating at the margins and need peak performance.  

Just customizing the platform to the shooter.  And it's fun.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Someone who really likes their Beretta, but understands it’s mass produced, and are things that can be improved on with a custom smith.  

Anybody who is interested in this approach should really consider starting with a M9A4. They are really nice and that's the platform I would want to start with. 

Got a cmmg silver banshee in 45 in today. It’s the tits.

My BiL has a banshee and got his cam approved last month for it. It’s highly fun to shoot.

I’m interested in their Dissent as a 300blk replacement.

My first AR was a CMMG/Colt/Delton bastard creation and then the next year they started actually building and selling full AR15s…. Lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 mm mag mountain rifle has made a come back.  Bore end was not damaged.  Just the outside of the barrel end was somehow rubbed down. Who knows?  

Re- bore sighted and back in business. 

1st 3 shot group wide left.  Then tuned up some.  Used some old 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt I had laying around.  

Now that it’s reasonably grouped I will build some 160 grain Nosler Accubond and fine tune the rifle with those.  Not going to waste a bunch of ammo zeroing until I get the right load.  

4D23F07A-04F3-496B-AF89-A6A770226CD1.jpeg

F986398D-9B28-4799-92BE-76EA59A7656D.jpeg

3D10D185-94E6-4E74-9DD6-FAD27A6184AF.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

7 mm mag mountain rifle has made a come back.  Bore end was not damaged.  Just the outside of the barrel end was somehow rubbed down. Who knows?  

Re- bore sighted and back in business. 

1st 3 shot group wide left.  Then tuned up some.  Used some old 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt I had laying around.  

Now that it’s reasonably grouped I will build some 160 grain Nosler Accubond and fine tune the rifle with those.  Not going to waste a bunch of ammo zeroing until I get the right load.  

4D23F07A-04F3-496B-AF89-A6A770226CD1.jpeg

F986398D-9B28-4799-92BE-76EA59A7656D.jpeg

3D10D185-94E6-4E74-9DD6-FAD27A6184AF.jpeg

I gave South Austin's mom the right load.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, markstanco said:

Does anybody shop midwayusa? When I want ammo I do the send email when in stock. Never an email. Anybody do this?

Yes.  They were pretty money during the lowest lows of the shortage. I checked on some corelokts the other day and they were about 25% higher than academy.   Shipping was fast and reasonable. 

Does anybody shop midwayusa? When I want ammo I do the send email when in stock. Never an email. Anybody do this?

I do. Have plenty of orders through them. I’ll say the in-stock alerts are hit or miss.

I’ll add that I like midwayUSA cause they carry the camo pattern from realtree Max-1xt in their gear. Even though I have since switched to Firstlite solids.

I am never going to fully convince myself that I don't need a SCAR 17.  I might as well accept it. YOLO.

SCAR 20 and/or HK MR308 for me
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

23f31f4dc47cd043da12a56d939ab100.jpg
Picked up a lil summer xmas bonus this morning.
Been wanting 1 for a while.
Gotta get an optic but not sure what. Usually go Acog, but not sure here..red dot? Aimpoint? Eotechs get good again? not sure..
What surly think?

Elcan. Do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, markstanco said:

The problem I have noticed with ammo alerts is that it sets the alert for a specific SKU.  If there is anything different between what you ask for on the alert then you don't get an alert.  117gr instead of 120gr, Spire point instead of soft point, hunting line vs target shooting line, enter a discontinued item or they change the logo on the box, etc. you get a different SKU and then you don't get the alert.  At least that was my experience.

PSA:  make sure your custom bullets will fit your magazine.  1st bullet rides correctly at the the top of the carriage.  The second bullet pushes the first one down against the spring but the mag box is too small to allow the 1st bullet to depress toward the bottom of the box.  

Going to have to set up the die again or shave off a little metal inside the box to allow room for the bullets. 

QC engineer fell asleep  

7EC41E45-AC52-4436-8B69-D61B6AF44F09.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, deadshank said:

PSA:  make sure your custom bullets will fit your magazine.  1st bullet rides correctly at the the top of the carriage.  The second bullet pushes the first one down against the spring but the mag box is too small to allow the 1st bullet to depress toward the bottom of the box.  

Going to have to set up the die again or shave off a little metal inside the box to allow room for the bullets. 

QC engineer fell asleep  

7EC41E45-AC52-4436-8B69-D61B6AF44F09.jpeg

Wrong bullets or set them too high in the neck?

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

Is your throat length for that rifle that much longer that the COL?

We went buy the book for overall length and used casings that where only shot from this particular 7mm mag; so, they were fire formed to my 7mm mangunum.  After building the first bullet we cycled it into the chamber then extracted it and checked for markings on the bullets from contacting with the lands. 

It all came out great after a slight adjustment we built the remaining 49 bullets.  Never once did we think of checking the bullet's rest in the detachable magazine.  Sure enough is is just slightly too long to allow for depressing a bullet down into the magazine.  I really don't need a single shot rifle so back to work we go.

This has never happened before.  The adjustment will be simple but require a step backward to allow going forward.