The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Opened my big fat mouth at a nice gun shop while on an out of state trip.  Lots of vintage shotguns but very few rifles behind the glass.  Guy asked if I wanted to look at anything and I declined - saying I’m focused on old Model 70’s these days.  None displayed-  seemed like a harmless answer. 

Owner asks me…”Got a pre-64 .22 Hornet?” 

Sucker me- “Wish like hell I did!”

Smiling owner- “Wait right here.  I’m your huckleberry.”

Comes out of the back with a REALLY nice ‘57 standard at 98% +. 

My last objection was that I couldn’t let my wife see it packed for the ride back- No problem- we’ll ship it and she’ll never know. 

$500 less than he’d just listed it on line.  
I’ve made worse decisions and can check that cartridge off the list now. 

58CA89C2-0BB4-4F4F-AD00-C8CB5058E5EA.thumb.jpeg.a4d0ed87fd1e6a16d2a4d87933cf15f5.jpeg

Hello, beautiful 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, Reagan1k said:

Opened my big fat mouth at a nice gun shop while on an out of state trip.  Lots of vintage shotguns but very few rifles behind the glass.  Guy asked if I wanted to look at anything and I declined - saying I’m focused on old Model 70’s these days.  None displayed-  seemed like a harmless answer. 

My last objection was that I couldn’t let my wife see it packed for the ride back- No problem- we’ll ship it and she’ll never know. 

58CA89C2-0BB4-4F4F-AD00-C8CB5058E5EA.thumb.jpeg.a4d0ed87fd1e6a16d2a4d87933cf15f5.jpeg

This is a fantastic rifle/cartridge combo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, deadshank said:

PSA:  make sure your custom bullets will fit your magazine.  1st bullet rides correctly at the the top of the carriage.  The second bullet pushes the first one down against the spring but the mag box is too small to allow the 1st bullet to depress toward the bottom of the box.  

Going to have to set up the die again or shave off a little metal inside the box to allow room for the bullets. 

QC engineer fell asleep  

7EC41E45-AC52-4436-8B69-D61B6AF44F09.jpeg

Adjustments were made.  Assembled bullet was 1/48” too long.  Squeezed the warhead down a bit in the press and voila!   Elk and mule deer in imminent peril.  

C4586C5D-05BD-4D55-8FE6-B765C616D830.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, Reagan1k said:

Great looking gun!  I haven't looked in a while, what is the market like for pre 64 model 70s these days?

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

Great looking gun!  I haven't looked in a while, what is the market like for pre 64 model 70s these days?

People will pay $750 for just an action if the rifle is a beater.

Goes up from there.  Hard to buy a functional rifle in even decent shape for less than $1500 all in if you're dealing at auction....especially if it is unmodified.

Anything pre-war, supergrade, featherweight, or a cartridge beyond the standard '06 or .270 is likely past $2000 to get in your hands.

49 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

People will pay $750 for just an action if the rifle is a beater.

Goes up from there.  Hard to buy a functional rifle in even decent shape for less than $1500 all in if you're dealing at auction....especially if it is unmodified.

Anything pre-war, supergrade, featherweight, or a cartridge beyond the standard '06 or .270 is likely past $2000 to get in your hands.

Even .270's seem to carry a premium; thanks Jack.  But then again, that is THE one you must have. Last year, I snuck into one because it was listed under antiques, for a great price (only bidder).  But that was just dumb luck I happened to stumble on. 

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Even .270's seem to carry a premium; thanks Jack.  But then again, that is THE one you must have. Last year, I snuck into one because it was listed under antiques, for a great price (only bidder).  But that was just dumb luck I happened to stumble on. 

Two years ago I found one like that - only two bad photos and mis-categorized in the auction listing.  Best I could tell it was going to be a holy grail......maybe a proto-type or lunch pail rifle that escaped from the factory.  I took a flier and was like you; the only bidder.   I was thrilled, but when I got it I couldn't figure it out.  Didn't have any of the right markings.

Turns out it was a 54 and not a 70.  What fooled me was that unbeknownst to me - many years ago, you could buy a kit that transitioned the 54's original safety to a 70 style 3-position version.  I had the sadzz for a few hours but in reality it's a cool rifle and good conversation piece.

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

Any recommendations for a Fort Worth gun store, one that focuses on classic/traditional guns (ie .22 hornet above)?  I am looking to build out my boys gun collection as they grow up.  Specifically looking at mod 70, model 12, Win 101, Browning, etc

We are going to be competing for the same stuff, but in the interest of your sons having a nice collection, get on the auction sites.  Your odds of what you want go up tremendously.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed - Auctions (not Gunbroker usually) are the way to go. 

You just have to stay patient and set limits.  I try like hell not to get caught up on day-of bidding.  I set my max bid and then don't look back or I'll get sucked in to the "what's another hundred" over and over in a bidding war.  Just make sure you understand each auctioneer's terms and buyer's premium.  Fees will add up fast on bigger ticket items.

Pawn shop deals mostly died with the coming of the internet.  It's too easy for them to find real market value on hard to find stuff and price accordingly.  Some may discount if a particular item sits around too long, but i'm amazed at how accurately most guns are priced by and large.  True deals are hard to come by.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well Fatty, let me know your preferred auctions so I can get on the other ones and we don't bid up each other.  Seriously, I used Gunbroker a couple of times in the past and was pleased.  It helped that the sellers were close enough that I could do a physical pick up and actually meet the seller.

31 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

What’s the scoop on the gun bill that passed in the House? I know it won’t pass in the Senate, but let’s say it does; does it only ban new sales of whatever bullshit they wanna call assault rifles or do we have to turn ours in if we already own several? 

The ones you already own are Grandfathered, not that it matters. The bills is totally symbolic. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:29 PM, Frank Erwin said:

Well Fatty, let me know your preferred auctions so I can get on the other ones and we don't bid up each other.

You’re all good. I’ve been grabbing up some other stuff lately, and have gotten bitten by the shotgun bug as of late.  But the auction sites have accounted for almost the entirety of everything I’ve bought in I don’t know how long. Mostly because I’m very particular on the wood. 

Yeah, but it would take some time to work it's way through the courts. There would probably be a few years where the courts in some districts grant a stay and some don't before SCOTUS would take it up. And you also need cause to apeal to the federal courts,  so someone would basically have to be arrested for defying it to even challenge it. At least that is my understanding of the process.

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re all good. I’ve been grabbing up some other stuff lately, and have gotten bitten by the shotgun bug as of late.  But the auction sites have accounted for almost the entirety of everything I’ve bought in I don’t know how long. Mostly because I’m very particular on the wood. 

We seem to be on the same wavelength.  I only need one more rifle, and two or three each for my sons.  But I could by shotguns all the day long

On 7/28/2022 at 1:57 PM, Reagan1k said:

Two years ago I found one like that - only two bad photos and mis-categorized in the auction listing.  Best I could tell it was going to be a holy grail......maybe a proto-type or lunch pail rifle that escaped from the factory.  I took a flier and was like you; the only bidder.   I was thrilled, but when I got it I couldn't figure it out.  Didn't have any of the right markings.

Turns out it was a 54 and not a 70.  What fooled me was that unbeknownst to me - many years ago, you could buy a kit that transitioned the 54's original safety to a 70 style 3-position version.  I had the sadzz for a few hours but in reality it's a cool rifle and good conversation piece.

Lots of good pre-64 groups out there that are a fount of great information if you join.  I got some good info on my pair from a FB group

pre64win.com

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2022 at 7:41 AM, BabaYaga said:

Lots of good pre-64 groups out there that are a fount of great information if you join.  I got some good info on my pair from a FB group

pre64win.com

Justin @ pre64win is my go to for all questions.  He loves to get into the weeds and is meticulous.  I've had him do some cool stuff for me and love his work.

Thread derail - About as much of a derail as you can get from classic rifle discussions - 

Anyone else been following the development and commercialization of the 8.6 Blackout?  I need that like I need a hole in my head but it is interesting, and seeing how it functioned in Africa on some big game at distance is amazing.  Probably a solution looking for a problem, but that's never stopped me when it comes to firearms.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Justin @ pre64win is my go to for all questions.  He loves to get into the weeds and is meticulous.  I've had him do some cool stuff for me and love his work.

Thread derail - About as much of a derail as you can get from classic rifle discussions - 

Anyone else been following the development and commercialization of the 8.6 Blackout?  I need that like I need a hole in my head but it is interesting, and seeing how it functioned in Africa on some big game at distance is amazing.  Probably a solution looking for a problem, but that's never stopped me when it comes to firearms.

LOL, virtually every new caliber is a solution looking for a problem.  The 'rifle' hasn't really changed all that much over decades and decades other than production and material updates.

Lock

Stock

Barrel

As it was then, it is today.  So I'm a big fan of new pills that are faster/straighter/better.  One caveat for game in Africa.  I place where the animals can/will kill you.  I might not want to be the Guinea pig on a trip like that?  It's just a 6.5CM necked out to fit a .338 pill, so of course I'm in to check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been following the 8.6blk since it’s just a faxon barrel swap on an ar10… but it also means my .30 cal suppressors aren’t in play.

So I’d have to also invest in a Dead Air Primal, which ain’t gonna go over with the wife…

But I am a fan of short barrel suppressed hunting

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I already have a rifle with ammo that costs >$2/round in a 6.5CM. I’m not looking at the 8.6

59 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Question on trusts. I have a trust set up for my suppressors. *in case* any gun laws are enacted can I put all my rifles/guns in the trust too so that I may pass them down to my sons or is that just for NFA items?

Yes- you can put any firearms in a properly written gun trust. Guns, swords, ammo, other collectibles - as long as the wording of the trust is right for the item and you have the item listed in the document inventory.

A lot of people do that to have one overriding document to handle distribution of guns at death.

It's basically a revocable living trust.  If you've got a lot of 'em or some real value tied up in them, the trust allows passing the assets outside of probate.

Also prevents some kid or relative from raiding the safe during your funeral and telling everyone else that grandpa gave this to me last month, etc.

Hardest part is keeping it up to date, inventory wise - or as your intentions for disposition at death change.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I have gifted (so far) the following handguns to my sons & grandsons, not to mention my DIL & granddaughter.
S&W Model 13 .357
S&W Model 36 .38sp
Ruger Service Six .357
S&W Model 34 .22lr
S&W Model 63 .22lr
Remington RM380 (two)
Ruger LCP (two)
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W Model 29-2 .44mag
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag
Ruger Blackhawk .357 (3-screw)
Ruger SR9 (two)
Ruger SR45
Kahr PM9
Kahr CW45
Kahr CT380
North American Arms Mini. 22lr

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, Armybrat said:

I have gifted (so far) the following handguns to my sons & grandsons, not to mention my DIL & granddaughter.
S&W Model 13 .357
S&W Model 36 .38sp
Ruger Service Six .357
S&W Model 34 .22lr
S&W Model 63 .22lr
Remington RM380 (two)
Ruger LCP (two)
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W Model 29-2 .44mag
Ruger SR9 (two)
Ruger SR45
Kahr PM9
Kahr CW45
Kahr CT380

'sup?

S&W Model 13 .357
S&W Model 36 .38sp
Ruger Service Six .357
S&W Model 34 .22lr
S&W Model 63 .22lr
Remington RM380 (two)
Ruger LCP (two)
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W Model 29-2 .44mag
Ruger SR9 (two)
Ruger SR45
Kahr PM9
Kahr CW45
Kahr CT380

Has that 3 screw been molested by Ruger? If it hasn’t, make sure you NEVER send it to them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Has that 3 screw been molested by Ruger? If it hasn’t, make sure you NEVER send it to them.

Of course not.

I bought it new in 1968. Gifted it (along with the San Antonio Alamo Leatherworks rig) to my oldest son for his 50th birthday several years ago  because it is his birth year.

1E0EF905-1E06-4F7C-8503-A97C0920239B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2