The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Really appreciate the replies. I’m pretty excited to get out there. And definitely leaning 12ga. I haven’t had one in over a decade and hadn’t been out in the field in longer than that. But we moved out of the big city to the “country” in CT and joined a field club that has a really active sport shooting component.

I’ll definitely check out the A300 and 400. And a few others. Supply doesn’t seem to be too decimated but prices are definitely higher than even a lot of the reviews list everything at. Since I literally haven’t bought any firearm in the internet era, what’s the best used marketplace?

And just like that, I’m down a huge rabbit hole on yet another new hobby! (Eg, excuse to buy cool shit!)

• Hook 'Em 2

The biggest thing is finding something that is comfortable. Price point impacts that, but there are plenty of good options in your range especially in the semi-auto variety. If you go over/under it gets a little more narrow in options, but look at some used ones also. You can come across some reasonable priced used ones out there.

I don’t think I ever realized the differences that the different price levels in over/unders got you. I messed with a Beretta SL3 yesterday and it was pretty amazing how balanced and easy to swing that gun was even versus the 694. I’m not spending the dollars on it, but I wouldn’t mind shooting one.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:46 PM, deadshank said:

7 mm mag mountain rifle has made a come back.  Bore end was not damaged.  Just the outside of the barrel end was somehow rubbed down. Who knows?  

Re- bore sighted and back in business. 

1st 3 shot group wide left.  Then tuned up some.  Used some old 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt I had laying around.  

Now that it’s reasonably grouped I will build some 160 grain Nosler Accubond and fine tune the rifle with those.  Not going to waste a bunch of ammo zeroing until I get the right load.  

4D23F07A-04F3-496B-AF89-A6A770226CD1.jpeg

F986398D-9B28-4799-92BE-76EA59A7656D.jpeg

3D10D185-94E6-4E74-9DD6-FAD27A6184AF.jpeg

The difference between factory loads and fire-formed hand loads. 

Factory Hornaday 162 grain BTSP Interlock 7mm mag

Handload Nosler 160 grain Accubond

F2957126-0BE3-4708-B2CA-9A07A51E9BA1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

Old 870 is my go to field gun and used it a lot for trap.  The best skeet shooter I ever knew used an 1100 and loved smoking those guys with their fancy doubles

As always, it's the Indian, not the arrow!  My old 870 is still going strong as well and I shoot it well

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:31 PM, Frank Erwin said:

Old 870 is my go to field gun and used it a lot for trap.

Same. It just gets the job done. I'm not serious about clays, I used to participate in tournaments at NSC in San Antonio years ago but those were charity events for the Scouts and stuff like that. These days I just walk behind my house to shoot then sit outside and drink beer thinking this is one of the benefits of being divorced.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, deadshank said:

Pick your hulls up off the ground, sonny boy. 

That's the worst part of shooting an automatic. You can get devices to catch the hull as it flies out, but I think they'd be pretty distracting. 

In registered skeet and sporting (not sure about trap), it's very common for guys to throw hulls on the ground, but in registered FITASC, the rules actually require you to pick up your hulls or the "judge" (as its called in FITASC) can start penalizing you. In every US shoot I've ever seen, they give you a warning first, but in the big international shoots they expect you to know the rules and don't hesitate to hand out penalties. 

FWIW - other penalties:

- inappropriate footwear

- not unloading your empties before stepping out of the hoop

- cursing

- location of your number (must be centered on your back)

- wearing a shirt without a collar (hemmed crew necks are allowed)

• Like 1

Not a gun owner but visited a buddy in Michigan that is. A small selection of what he owns that we took to a shooting range. It was my first time shooting the P90 (think that's the 1st rifle) and man that was a ton of fun. Reloading it not so much though. Didn't enjoy shooting the AR. Also didn't realize you can shoot shotgun shells from a revolver. That was extremely fun!

image.thumb.jpeg.2e6c33a00263e07a38b95e0aee5831c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e5b5876b2acafd176834f171aad20b42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6109a0662231462154cbbf3b39dc0eca.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, YChang said:

Not a gun owner but visited a buddy in Michigan that is. A small selection of what he owns that we took to a shooting range. It was my first time shooting the P90 (think that's the 1st rifle) and man that was a ton of fun. Reloading it not so much though. Didn't enjoy shooting the AR. Also didn't realize you can shoot shotgun shells from a revolver. That was extremely fun!

image.thumb.jpeg.2e6c33a00263e07a38b95e0aee5831c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e5b5876b2acafd176834f171aad20b42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6109a0662231462154cbbf3b39dc0eca.jpeg

The triggers on those P90's take some getting used to.  That Tavor in the middle is epic, except for the fact that I shoot left-handed, and that ejection port is.....problematic unless a conversion is done

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, Frank Erwin said:

I have the same gun but no scope on it yet, would like to find a 6x leupold

I have that rifle too.  It came with a 60s era Leupold Mk4 3x.  Was great until I started hunting facing the sunset and the glare meant I had to get better glass so I got a Leupold 3-9x40.  Pretty much leave it on about 4x.

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That Tavor in the middle is epic, except for the fact that I shoot left-handed, and that ejection port is.....problematic unless a conversion is done

All the more reason to go with a Tavor 7. Switch to left hand is a piece of cake.  No need to send it off for a new bolt install. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I have that rifle too.  It came with a 60s era Leupold Mk4 3x.  Was great until I started hunting facing the sunset and the glare meant I had to get better glass so I got a Leupold 3-9x40.  Pretty much leave it on about 4x.

I still have that old 4X Weaver scope that my g-father used for decades.  Finally replaced with a modern scope

Well shit!

Was at Academy and bought two boxes of what I thought was Federal 357 Magnum jhp. Even had my 3x readers on to squint at it. 
Turns out it is .357 Sig, and I don’t have a gun of that caliber.Nor do I know anyone who does. $70 plus tax down the drain.

3B2913F5-64A0-4E91-8766-14EF8BCD5F9A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mighty fine said:

Looks like you now have a solid reason to go purchase a .357 sig

I have been winnowing calibers (.45acp, .44 Magnum, .32acp) out of my collection for several years. All I am interested in now is .357 Magnum,.38 Special, 9mm, .327 Federal Magnum, .380, .22 Magnum, .22LR, & .22 Short.

Don’t know why I got into the .327 five years ago, but it is a useful little banger for revolvers like my two Rugers.

108E36F5-6ADB-45BF-A479-AA984412CB9F.jpeg

DCB7A9E1-AC31-42B8-B808-5B6CE2CEB68D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Nice-  I put similar Altamonts on my 10mm/40sw Blackhawk.  I need to shoot that gun!  My plan was to hunt with it now that I’ve got skins on the wall with my G40 long slide.

The grips make the gun for me aesthetically.

Derail- Taylor Firearms has announced a case hardened TC9 classic revolver for those that like an SAA action and want to shoot bit cheaper ammo. Not many details and no drop on their website yet but the news is out. 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:31 PM, Frank Erwin said:

Old 870 is my go to field gun and used it a lot for trap.  The best skeet shooter I ever knew used an 1100 and loved smoking those guys with their fancy doubles

I love showing up to the little church/community pasture skeet shoots and smoking everyone with my Beretta xtrema 12 ga duck gun. 

Gentlemen, it appears that one of my boys has an interest in the Wilco 4H shooting sports team. 

as such, I will suddenly be purchasing lots of .22 LR ammo. Recs for online deals, please. 

if he still likes it in a month or so, I’ll be looking to start purchasing equipment. Rifle, whatever sighting they use, other accoutrements that I’m unaware of.  Don’t know if he will do pistol as well, or just rifle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gentlemen, it appears that one of my boys has an interest in the Wilco 4H shooting sports team. 

as such, I will suddenly be purchasing lots of .22 LR ammo. Recs for online deals, please. 

if he still likes it in a month or so, I’ll be looking to start purchasing equipment. Rifle, whatever sighting they use, other accoutrements that I’m unaware of.  Don’t know if he will do pistol as well, or just rifle.  

Lots of places sell "buckets" or large bundles of .22lr.  I always see them in Scheels when I go in.

Many online options as well

ammo

moar ammo

• Like 1

@Bozo_Casanova   that was a lapse in judgement. This is definitely the wrong place outside of our discussion on the difference between a mini and AR. Just tired of getting 20 notifications that the same fat sack of trash has negged every post I’ve made today.  I’ll address your questions there, after the CR  group stops bleeding. 

So we can pick it up the comparison here. The mini 14/30 holds a special place in many of our hearts. That said,  its nowhere near as capable, or as practical of a platform as any non-complete piece of shit AR.  I’ve got several of both, and there is no comparison. I’m absolutely not a ruger hater (outside of an early model LC9); I’ve got probably a dozen ruger arms. My shittiest AR is at least 2x tighter, and considerably more accurate, than any mini I’ve ever handled.  Your comment that one does a bit of everything, but nothing well (AR) is off because I can’t think of a single thing (outside of nostalgia) that the 14 excels at.  We’ll just have to agree to disagree, and I can understand if you don’t want to give any single bit of compliment to the AR where we had our original discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That said,  its nowhere near as capable, or as practical of a platform as any non-complete piece of shit AR.  I’ve got several of both, and there is no comparison. I’m absolutely not a ruger hater (outside of an early model LC9); I’ve got probably a dozen ruger arms. My shittiest AR is at least 2x tighter, and considerably more accurate, than any mini I’ve ever handled.  Your comment that one does a bit of everything, but nothing well (AR) is off because I can’t think of a single thing (outside of nostalgia) that the 14 excels at.

And a good day to you too, sir.

First, the phrase "any non-complete piece of shit" is doing a lot of lifting, because between the large volume of stamped and plastic garbage on the market and the tacticool vajazzling of said garbage by political cosplayers and youtube gunsmiths, I would submit to you that a very large plurality if not an outright majority of ARs are in point of fact complete pieces of shit, even if they didn't start out that way.

Second, the Mini does the most important gun thing better than the vast majority of ARs - fire bullets reliably without jamming, because it doesn't shit where it eats.

In closing, I like my AR because it's the platform I can hang dumb shit I don't need on, like a binary trigger and sequins and so forth. But my Ranch Rifle just works, and it does it all the time. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And a good day to you too, sir.

First, the phrase "any non-complete piece of shit" is doing a lot of lifting, because between the large volume of stamped and plastic garbage on the market and the tacticool vajazzling of said garbage by political cosplayers and youtube gunsmiths, I would submit to you that a very large plurality if not an outright majority of ARs are in point of fact complete pieces of shit, even if they didn't start out that way.

Second, the Mini does the most important gun thing better than the vast majority of ARs - fire bullets reliably without jamming, because it doesn't shit where it eats.

I can get down with that.  I admittedly don’t live in that world, so I didn’t even consider the plasticy shit.  Without quality, you don’t have anything, imo. Mine start at Larue and go up from there.  And like I said, I like my minis, too, but those rattling fuckers sit in the back of the safe next to my ARs and M1s. I’ve not had any issue with reliability in any of my SAs. I don’t buy guns to sell, but something that doesn’t reliably operate every time needs to go.  I also don’t shoot 10s of thousands of rounds thru them. 

I don’t know what it would be good for other than a collector, but there’s a mini in *.222* for sale right now on one of the auction sites.  I’ve got other things on my mind right now (obv a .222, but also a high end 22mag) I figure I’ll keep adding a lower every other month or so until the political climate does what it’s going to do.  If it looks like it’ll be calm for a bit, I think I’m going to have a P-gun commissioned.    

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My ARs are for hunting, and generally chambered in useful hunting rounds, like .300 BLK and .243. As such they don't get a lot of round counts from things like magazine dumps. I've never had an issue with reliability.

I've never had an issue with reliability from any of my ARs, but I keep them clean and am not putting ridiculous round counts through them. I mean, "if shoot shit when pull trigger" is the primary metric here, the AK platform probably surpasses both.  

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve not had any issue with reliability in any of my SAs.

Fuck. This statement just reminded me of an old 22lr I inherited.  It’s an old Springfield/Stevens 87A. My father fashioned a gorgeous French walnut stock for it when 45 years ago.  It’s jams sometimes. Doesn’t matter, it’s in my forever group and will jam for my grandkids too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My ARs are for hunting, and generally chambered in useful hunting rounds, like .300 BLK and .243

I’ve been wanting a 243 bad. I’ve got a few in 5.56, 300 BO, and singles in .308, .204, .22. Got a stash of lowers that I don’t know what to do with. Probably some 6mm stuff, and will get a 300wm someday.  They only come out the safe if the children are wanting to shoot something more than the .22.  

On 8/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, Armybrat said:

Well shit!

Was at Academy and bought two boxes of what I thought was Federal 357 Magnum jhp. Even had my 3x readers on to squint at it. 
Turns out it is .357 Sig, and I don’t have a gun of that caliber.Nor do I know anyone who does. $70 plus tax down the drain.

Can't return them?

Am considering the purchase of one more AR (my S&W & Colt were gifted to sons several years ago). 

To fill the home defense rifle void in my safe, I picked up a Ruger PCC 9mm takedown carbine. It is an interesting little gun and certainly would serve the purpose, but somehow it seems “not enough”. 
So, being a frugal type and don’t want to spend $$$ unnecessarily, I’m thinking of a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture. It would remain stock, but a simple Vortex red dot will be added.

What say you Surly, are they an adequate product?
My S&W Sport was a nice little shooter for a cheap basic AR. The Ruger appears to be one step up from that to rival the Colt LE6920 I gave away. Am not interested in dumping thousands into a top quality product like LaRue (a relative worked for them), DD, or LMT.

There is one available locally for $829 that is on my radar.

Edited by Armybrat