The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Discussion of home defense above got me thinking. Clearly, most of us own guns and *hopefully* keep a vast majority of them locked up in a safe. So, in the event of a home invasion, those are not reliably accessible in time, IMO. What do y’all keep at the ready for just that reason?

mine is a Sig P365x that I have in a small 4 digit password guarded safe in the drawer of my nightstand. Obviously, I’d like to keep either my honey badger or sp5 on standby for such an event, but with 3 little kids running around, not very practical

Edited by Fat Bastard
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dog, but she snores like crazy and is lazy at night. Daytime she’ll kill herself trying to intimidate the Amazon guy. 

I keep a LC9 (that I hate), a Mark II .22, and a 38 revolver in a biometric/4 digit coded safe in nightstand.  I put them in one of the bigger safes if we leave for the weekend, etc as bolted to the night stand wouldn’t last long. 

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Am considering the purchase of one more AR (my S&W & Colt were gifted to sons several years ago). 

To fill the home defense rifle void in my safe, I picked up a Ruger PCC 9mm takedown carbine. It is an interesting little gun and certainly would serve the purpose, but somehow it seems “not enough”. 
So, being a frugal type and don’t want to spend $$$ unnecessarily, I’m thinking of a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture. It would remain stock, but a simple Vortex red dot will be added.

What say you Surly, are they an adequate product?
My S&W Sport was a nice little shooter for a cheap basic AR. The Ruger appears to be one step up from that to rival the Colt LE6920 I gave away. Am not interested in dumping thousands into a top quality product like LaRue (a relative worked for them), DD, or LMT.

There is one available locally for $829 that is on my radar.

You might be able to piece together an Aero for around that price?  Don’t know how that compares, though. I know a lot of people really like the Colts, but I’ve never handled one. 

I really want one of those little 9mm or 40 carbines, but I think I’m going to grab that new 5.7 when it comes available.  That’s a cool little round.  

You might be able to piece together an Aero for around that price?  Don’t know how that compares, though. I know a lot of people really like the Colts, but I’ve never handled one. 

I really want one of those little 9mm or 40 carbines, but I think I’m going to grab that new 5.7 when it comes available.  That’s a cool little round.  

They’re out. And fantastic. Sold one today.

Get it.

Am considering the purchase of one more AR (my S&W & Colt were gifted to sons several years ago). 

To fill the home defense rifle void in my safe, I picked up a Ruger PCC 9mm takedown carbine. It is an interesting little gun and certainly would serve the purpose, but somehow it seems “not enough”. 
So, being a frugal type and don’t want to spend $$$ unnecessarily, I’m thinking of a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture. It would remain stock, but a simple Vortex red dot will be added.
What say you Surly, are they an adequate product?
My S&W Sport was a nice little shooter for a cheap basic AR. The Ruger appears to be one step up from that to rival the Colt LE6920 I gave away. Am not interested in dumping thousands into a top quality product like LaRue (a relative worked for them), DD, or LMT.
There is one available locally for $829 that is on my radar.

Let me know what you want and I’ll get it for you.

Larue is over priced.

Aero is great - I sell them all day.

DD is the tits. We get them in used often and usually they’re a great deal.

Pm me. I can do better than that Ruger. I’m not a huge fan of their shit. But that 5.7 is the tits.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I will. Saw all ammo at academy has gone up since I was in a few weeks ago. 5.7 is 54/50 now.  Not terrible. I bought some 300 subs tonight. Been awhile since I’ve seen any on the shelves. 

They get the 208 amax and 208 bthp in regularly. The amax is the better bullet (sd and bc speaking) but both work fine.

Yes that ammo is pricey. 5.7 isn’t a rifle round nor a pistol round really. We call it a hybrid.

Another 5.7 coming tomorrow prob. I’m in cedar park.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

They get the 208 amax and 208 bthp in regularly. The amax is the better bullet (sd and bc speaking) but both work fine.

Yes that ammo is pricey. 5.7 isn’t a rifle round nor a pistol round really. We call it a hybrid.

Nice. Seeing them right at at thousand online?

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:

It's a nasty little round.  As a SD option, and if you go off the FBI ballistic tests on penetration, it's second to none.  Add in the high capacity of the mags, and it's a great carry option in colder weather where it's easier to conceal the larger frame options it comes in (or rock the fanny pack like a boss).  The new FN is slick.  

Has anyone worked through the pros/cons of a silencer shop one shot unlimited trust vs. a traditional NFA trust?  Any strong feelings.  The process with the one shot trusts seems easier, docusign no notary, no schedules to keep track up, no updates to ATF with subsequent purchases, etc. Downside appears to be that you then have to keep track of separate trusts.  And the big differentiator in my mind at the moment, the one shots can only be used with SS ecosystem and they do not have a mechanism to process form 1s. Traditional trust would be more flexible in that regard. 

I want to buy a 6.5 bolt rifle this year because of largely made up reasons, but nominally because most of my rifles are way overpowered for central Texas whitetail hunting.  I’m definitely set on a bolt vs AR platform and would like something with either a laminate or fiberglass stock, no walnut or crappy plastic.  My brand loyalty is nonexistent and I have Weatherby, Ruger, Howa and Savage bolt guns currently.  Price range in the $1000-$2000 range is what I’m expecting.  Hit me with your best options. 

Has anyone worked through the pros/cons of a silencer shop one shot unlimited trust vs. a traditional NFA trust?  Any strong feelings.  The process with the one shot trusts seems easier, docusign no notary, no schedules to keep track up, no updates to ATF with subsequent purchases, etc. Downside appears to be that you then have to keep track of separate trusts.  And the big differentiator in my mind at the moment, the one shots can only be used with SS ecosystem and they do not have a mechanism to process form 1s. Traditional trust would be more flexible in that regard. 

I’d only consider the single shot if I was getting one or two NFA items. After that, the cost is going equal a traditional trust. Normally, you get to speak with a lawyer if you have issues too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I want to buy a 6.5 bolt rifle this year because of largely made up reasons, but nominally because most of my rifles are way overpowered for central Texas whitetail hunting.  I’m definitely set on a bolt vs AR platform and would like something with either a laminate or fiberglass stock, no walnut or crappy plastic.  My brand loyalty is nonexistent and I have Weatherby, Ruger, Howa and Savage bolt guns currently.  Price range in the $1000-$2000 range is what I’m expecting.  Hit me with your best options. 

We talking manbun, PRC, or Grendel? 

Ruger Americans are great. $500.

Creedmoor is great - 30% less recoil than a 308 and pretty flat shooting. Wind drift is nominal. Terminal capability out to 500 - although 70% (or some close number) of deer in texas are taken under 200 yards. I have one.

Grendel is fantastic. Terminal capability out to 350 or so. 123 pills is what you’ll find usually. Hornady makes the most popular loads. Not as easy to find as creed. I have two.

PRC - avoid.

If you want to eventually utilize the same cartridge in an AR - creedmoor is ar10 and grendel is ar15.

Grendel is such a fantastic round.

Ruger makes the grendel in a bolt as well. I sold one a few weeks ago with an lpvo and it was sweet.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

How good of a shot are you? The Ruger American in 6.5 is more than adequate for me under 500 yards, but because I have a small weener and need to compensate for it I also have this

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57550

I’m ok I guess?  I have a Ruger Ranch in 300 blk and it’s a great little gun for picking off does.  I just want something that feels a bit more satisfying in the hand.  The Q Fix and that Savage Axis Precision look cool, but I’m wanting a more conventional gun vs an AR-mag bolt machine.  

Edited by USCATX

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

You seem to like the finer things so a Christensen in 6.5PRC unless you find a gunsmith and build one up. He’s aggie but Horizon in college station makes some great precision rifles.

I thought about both those but checked real quick on the auction sites and both were closer to 3k.  Can vouch for Horizon, specifically in 6.5cm. The aesthetics aren’t my jam but it shoots jagged hole groups. 

@Handcruser why you no like the PRC?  Guy on my lease has a 6.5 and 300 and my in limited time with them, I thought both are pretty tits. Our academy only has 1-2 choices of ammo for each. Not a lot, but as an owner of a few AI’s, it happens. 

53 minutes ago, davidg said:

You seem to like the finer things so a Christensen in 6.5PRC unless you find a gunsmith and build one up. He’s aggie but Horizon in college station makes some great precision rifles.

I do like the finer things, but I don’t trust Aggies.  I’ll check on the Christensens though. 

21 hours ago, USCATX said:

In that price range it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

I thought about both those but checked real quick on the auction sites and both were closer to 3k.  Can vouch for Horizon, specifically in 6.5cm. The aesthetics aren’t my jam but it shoots jagged hole groups. 

[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] why you no like the PRC?  Guy on my lease has a 6.5 and 300 and my in limited time with them, I thought both are pretty tits. Our academy only has 1-2 choices of ammo for each. Not a lot, but as an owner of a few AI’s, it happens. 

Was just a response to his post.

Prc is a great round. Ammo is hard to find and he doesn’t need that firepower for deer in texas.

20 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Was just a response to his post.

Prc is a great round. Ammo is hard to find and he doesn’t need that firepower for deer in texas.

Gotcha.  Yeah I agree it’s a stout little round.  I don’t need one. I bet I end up with one at some point because I can’t leave well enough alone. 

Gotcha.  Yeah I agree it’s a stout little round.  I don’t need one. I bet I end up with one at some point because I can’t leave well enough alone. 

I’m waiting on a billet upper/lower combo to arrive. I’ll be building a new ar so I’m knee deep in parts selection and coating options.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:53 PM, Handcruser said:

Creedmoor is great - 30% less recoil than a 308 and pretty flat shooting. Wind drift is nominal. Terminal capability out to 500 - although 70% (or some close number) of deer in texas are taken under 200 yards. I have one.

Wait a minute here.....I was told on the internet that the CM was a laser beam and I could kill an elk out to 1000 yards with no holdover or adjustment.  (full disclosure - I shoot both the CM and the GR and they are great rounds).

If I was buying a new 6.5 bolt gun for hunting in TX, I'd start my looking at the Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel.  Most TX hunting is a combination of riding in the truck and sitting in a blind and that Mini Action is a sweet little compact rifle that does everything you need and more.  Buy the rifle and spend the rest of the money on a good scope and you're golden for TX whitetail hunting. 

Wait a minute here.....I was told on the internet that the CM was a laser beam and I could kill an elk out to 1000 yards with no holdover or adjustment.  (full disclosure - I shoot both the CM and the GR and they are great rounds).
If I was buying a new 6.5 bolt gun for hunting in TX, I'd start my looking at the Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel.  Most TX hunting is a combination of riding in the truck and sitting in a blind and that Mini Action is a sweet little compact rifle that does everything you need and more.  Buy the rifle and spend the rest of the money on a good scope and you're golden for TX whitetail hunting. 

I was tempted in a mini action as a poor man’s Q Mini Fix, Jtac makes a $400+ chasis on the howa mini.

Black collar makes a pork sword but that’s on a rem700 which I’m not a fan of.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

I was tempted in a mini action as a poor man’s Q Mini Fix, Jtac makes a $400+ chasis on the howa mini.

Their rifles in general and the mini action are highly under-appreciated by the general public.  Obviously Ruger, Savage and others have bigger name recognition and marketing budgets.  In that class of rifle, Howa would be my choice every time, and I own all three so I've been able to compare.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah I have a buddy with a Howa, I’m a believer.

I just meant the “poor man’s Q” as you can build a howa mini with chasis for $1000-1500 vs a Mini Fix for $3000

Understood.  Was making a generalized comment.....not towards your post specifically.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

My wife hunts with a Howa 270 win that I bought her for our first anniversary (I’m a hopeless romantic) for like $329 with a scope and I do love their bolt guns.  I’m wanting to go a bit sexier on this one but I’ll check it out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

I’m wanting to go a bit sexier on this one but I’ll check it out. 

Tanks fer nuttin...... Your question and my own answer now have me down a rabbit hole looking at stock and chassis options for building a guest gun (excuse for wife)....which of course I'd want to use.  Bell and Carlson or chassis?  Chassis with brace?  Folder or extendable?  Pistol grip or straight?  LPVO or FP?

This could get complicated.

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Last I heard, they make the actions and barrels for the Weatherby vanguard in Japan.  

That was true in the past and remains so to the best of my knowledge.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Howa makes a great boom-stick.  Last I heard, they make the actions and barrels for the Weatherby vanguard in Japan.  

I have one of the Howa/WBY Vanguards.  It compares very favorably to many of my Mark V’s, and is a ragged hole shooter.  I’ve been very impressed with it, and favor it over a few of my V’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve only ever been dove hunting and clay shooting, but got the offer to join some friends for a duck hunt in a month or so.

Butttttttt, I only have a browning 20 o/u that doesn’t strike me as a gun to take to the water and mud. 

Any recommendations for something suitable for a beginner hunter in the $200-$500 range that will last me 5 seasons or so? 

28 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I’ve only ever been dove hunting and clay shooting, but got the offer to join some friends for a duck hunt in a month or so.

Butttttttt, I only have a browning 20 o/u that doesn’t strike me as a gun to take to the water and mud. 

Any recommendations for something suitable for a beginner hunter in the $200-$500 range that will last me 5 seasons or so? 

In Texas - Sounds like you'll be teal hunting right?  If so, no more sporting and classic shotgun to use than a 20ga o/u.

Third shot is always a waste on teal anyway, unless the 1st is a skillet shot.  Take the browning to the blind inside a good soft-sided case and enjoy the hunting.  Then take it home and completely strip/clean it.  Don't worry as much about the gun you take as you do about the mosquitos and gators.

Or, go to the pawn shop and get a used Rem. 870 in 20 or 12.

Have fun either way.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I’ve hunted with OUs almost exclusively for the last 15+ years.  Anywhere from rice patties, to bay hunting, to sunflower fields.  As long as you’re not using it as a paddle, it’ll be fine. 

But to answer your question, try to find an older 870. It’s one everyone should have. 

• Hook 'Em 1