The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/30/2022 at 11:30 AM, Armybrat said:

My oldest son is a lefty, but shoots & golfs righty.

And hates chocolate.

I'm a righty (everything) except shooting....just like my dad....and just like his dad. They were both watching when i got my first Daisey.....they smiled and said oh boy another one. 

• Haha 1

I'm likely going to be in the market for a modern sporting rifle in the near future, and am looking at something in 7.62 / .308.  I stumbled across a Sig 716i at Collectors recently that includes a nikon .308 optic for $1950.  That sent me down the rabbit hole of the quasi-AR10 platforms, the Indian army requisition of the 716i for the Northern Command, the new Ruger SFAR, SA Saint Victor.  Anybody have any trigger time on any of them?  I'm leaning towards the Sig, if only because I'm leery to jump into the first gen Ruger, even if it is a ruger.  Midway has the sig without optic for $1499.  Hard to argue with that logic.  I'm not terribly interested in building anything in AR10.  If I was inclined to tinker I'd drop down to AR15, but I need something that packs a bigger punch on hogs and something I can use to hunt whitetail from time to time

43 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

That pistol get loud?
Ive been needing (wanting) 1.

The 10.5” AR pistol? 
I have not shot it yet….and probably won’t. Whenever the federal courts finally strike down the impending ATF brace rule change, I’ll gift it to one of my sons or the oldest grandson.

But guys on the gun forums say they are very loud they wear ear plugs under their electronic head muffs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The 10.5” AR pistol? 
I have not shot it yet….and probably won’t. Whenever the federal courts finally strike down the impending ATF brace rule change, I’ll gift it to one of my sons or the oldest grandson.
But guys on the gun forums say they are very loud they wear ear plugs under their electronic head muffs.

Yea, the pistol, tanx

Whats the recoil like on those .308 ars?
Yall run cans?
That pistol get loud?
Ive been needing (wanting) 1.

The sw 18” is loud as fuck but my buddy has a bigger brake on it…
The 16” sig is normal .308 loud.

I run a can My 12” pistol, dead air Sandman-S with e-brake, it’s still a little loud at the ear so I run axil electronic ear plugs still but it’s not bad and everyone is always shocked by how “quiet” it is with the cam for what it is.

without it and just the muzzle brake keymo mount it is amazingly loud and a fireball. I run 180gr fed fusion and inside of 300yards it thumps hard.
  • Like 1

Question I should know but haven't really considered.

On a relative basis, I was an early entrant on the NFA stuff.  Pre E-file.....places like Silencer Shop didn't exist.  Made all my suppressor purchases and one SBR all at one time through a small class III dealer, and had a private attorney do my trust.  Old school - sheriffs office did my responsible party prints for me in exchange for donuts.

Been years since I really thought about the process and haven't added anything to the trust that needs a stamp.

If I want to just say to hell with it on my braced pistols and SBR all of them.....what's the process using my old trust?  Can I E-file using my old trust?  Do I have to redo the prints or is my shit and the trust info all "on file already".   

Gun Jesus chimes in on the ATF brace rule

TLDW: NFA 1934 was originally intended to prohibitively tax machine guns and handguns, the types of guns organized crime used most.  SBR/SBS rules were added to prevent working around not technically being a handgun ie. cutting down the barrel or stock of a rifle or shotgun.  Then at the last minute, handguns were removed from the NFA but the SBS/SBR rules left in.

Edited by Hozz
word
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Gun Jesus chimes in on the ATF brace rule

TLDW: NFA 1934 was originally intended to prohibitively tax machine guns and handguns, the types of guns organized crime used most.  SBR/SBS rules were added to prevent working around not technically being a handgun ie. cutting down the barrel or stock of a rifle or shotgun.  Then at the last minute, handguns were removed from the NFA but the SBS/SBR rules left in.

Never knew that as to the why behind the SBR rules.  So the government was full of idiots back then too. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Dignan said:

My question for the thread: any of y’all have or ever played with any of the AR 12s? I’ve never had the chance but they seem fun as hell. I know there are tons of manufacturers so just seeing if anyone has tried them out.

Never used one, but for me they solve two of the most significant issues for a HD shotgun:  mag capacity & shell type.

Once you load up a tube, it's done.  You can stack varying shell types (00/slug, etc.), but once loaded, you're committed.  You also have 3-4 rounds and that's it.  Inside an average house, there is zero pattern spread.  You might as well me making the argument that you want an AR-10 with 3-4 rounds.  It's the same thing - loud, heavy recoil, lots on inner wall penetration issues.....but if a hit it made, it's devastating.

With a detachable mag, this solves these two main issues.  You can also argue about how quickly you can reload and/or switch out shell types.

My question for the thread: any of y’all have or ever played with any of the AR 12s? I’ve never had the chance but they seem fun as hell. I know there are tons of manufacturers so just seeing if anyone has tried them out.

Im a no go on shotguns as home defense.

Lots of manufacturers - we see them all the time.

If I had to use a shotgun as a self defense tool in the home I’d probably go bullpup - and I don’t really like bull pups.

Tavor and ksg are popular and we sell a fair amount - but they complicate what doesn’t need to be complicated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

image_84588c2e-4045-4b3f-b2e7-5a71fd72c7

Some assembly required, but the fit is supposed to be extremely good, so it's mainly just finishing the wood and metal bits to how you like them.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/products/woodsrunner-rifle-kit-pre-order?variant=39687164821622

I built a Thompson-Center Hawken when I was 12, with my Dad's supervision, of course.  Black Powder is (was) fun.  I haven't fired it in decades. 

Transfer fees are going up across the board for several factors. Inflation of course is a big one, but increased regulation by the ATF (having to keep 4473's on hand indefinitely, etc.) and increased sales via the internet vs in shop sales are playing a role as well. It's kind of a merry go round for a lot of shops when they price guns much higher than the going rate on internet sites and lose sales because of it. So then they have to increase transfer fees to stay afloat. Of course, they could try and price their products competitively enough to keep people buying in the store versus ordering them online, but they can't all keep the inventory required to make the volume of sales needed to do that, especially in the current environment when even big box stores don't have a lot of the popular stuff. So not enough people even try to shop local. Best bet is to find a big local shop that has decent prices and can move the volume needed to offer low transfer fees or an FFL that runs their business out of their house as a side gig and sees internet sales as bonus money. Many of these places will offer discounts if you have an LTC. 

But, yeah, $80 is basically saying they don't want to do it and screw you if you are looking for something hard to find that pretty much has to be ordered online.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Transfer fees are going up across the board for several factors. Inflation of course is a big one, but increased regulation by the ATF (having to keep 4473's on hand indefinitely, etc.) and increased sales via the internet vs in shop sales are playing a role as well. It's kind of a merry go round for a lot of shops when they price guns much higher than the going rate on internet sites and lose sales because of it. So then they have to increase transfer fees to stay afloat. Of course, they could try and price their products competitively enough to keep people buying in the store versus ordering them online, but they can't all keep the inventory required to make the volume of sales needed to do that, especially in the current environment when even big box stores don't have a lot of the popular stuff. So not enough people even try to shop local. Best bet is to find a big local shop that has decent prices and can move the volume needed to offer low transfer fees or an FFL that runs their business out of their house as a side gig and sees internet sales as bonus money. Many of these places will offer discounts if you have an LTC. 

But, yeah, $80 is basically saying they don't want to do it and screw you if you are looking for something hard to find that pretty much has to be ordered online.

Spot on.   Unfortunately I’m picky af about my wood, and buy 2 or more from the 50’s/60’s for every modern long arm I buy. Not as many old Sako and Colt Sauers on the shelves. Then add in stock pickiness (grade and lack of handling marks), whatever funky caliber I’m hunting, and least importantly price, and it becomes a unicorn when I find something “in store”. Auction sites were an absolute godsend for me. The FFL I use has 6 computers for the forms now, and I’ve never not been when less than 4-5 of them is occupied.  Crazy amount of traffic for a small store. Their in store prices aren’t terrible and I’m working with them on some cans.  But they lean VERY heavily tacticool (I guess not uncommon these days) so not much on the shelves interests me.  They do enjoy unboxing my stuff and reminiscing on glass actions and spectacular wood. Usually gets 2-3 of them over there checking them out.  

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Spot on.   Unfortunately I’m picky af about my wood, and buy 2 or more from the 50’s/60’s for every modern long arm I buy. Not as many old Sako and Colt Sauers on the shelves. Then add in stock pickiness (grade and lack of handling marks), whatever funky caliber I’m hunting, and least importantly price, and it becomes a unicorn when I find something “in store”. Auction sites were an absolute godsend for me. The FFL I use has 6 computers for the forms now, and I’ve never not been when less than 4-5 of them is occupied.  Crazy amount of traffic for a small store. Their in store prices aren’t terrible and I’m working with them on some cans.  But they lean VERY heavily tacticool (I guess not uncommon these days) so not much on the shelves interests me.  They do enjoy unboxing my stuff and reminiscing on glass actions and spectacular wood. Usually gets 2-3 of them over there checking them out.  

Heh, you should have seen the counter dude oooo & aaahhh when he opened the box to my new Ruger Blackhawk last month. They apparently don’t get too many old school items in for transfer. Lol

All their staff are good to deal with.

At that Saddle Rock Armory there is only one laptop for the FFL customer to use, but I’ve only had to wait once for someone else to finish using it. 

• Hook 'Em 1