The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Ahem.  We need to have a chat. 

I thought I remembered someone would roll in pretty fast with a hard Sako cough …..right after he had me dead in my tracks dreaming one of O’Conner’s sheep rifles was among the ten 70’s. 

Getting a call like @686 buddy got is my version of winning the lottery.  The excitement of peeling back each layer would be amazing! 

• Like 2

Don’t know about those boxes in particular, but there were multiple Citoris in every caliber they made. Actually a lot of .410s in the collection.

Buddy was able to buy a nice No. 1 and Red Label out of the collection both with great stocks:

e98215c8fcdabf8db07f0549b244ceee.jpg

79504cf51d64692353be5a46983e878e.jpg

1d19f7d6af8cb0674afb42b8fce71a8e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Drool 2

I was a a little like “bro why didn’t you call me?”, but my buddy said the guy was very paranoid about word getting out about this collection in a not-so secure arrangement, and didn’t want people coming to look, which I understand. In his position I probably would have considered armed security or something until I could get things more safely stored.

I asked if it was insured and buddy said insurance status was unknown. (Yikes!) It did make me think about calling my insurance agent for my little ~$20k collection, I think the maximum for firearms in my homeowners policy is about $1k.

6 minutes ago, 686 said:

I asked if it was insured and buddy said insurance status was unknown. (Yikes!) It did make me think about calling my insurance agent for my little ~$20k collection, I think the maximum for firearms in my homeowners policy is about $1k.

Man. Why do you have to be putting grown up thoughts into my head.  I just recently put a spreadsheet together of current value of my stuff.  Wife absolutely cannot find that sheet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Man. Why do you have to be putting grown up thoughts into my head.  I just recently put a spreadsheet together of current value of my stuff.  Wife absolutely cannot find that sheet. 

I started a spreadsheet awhile back too and then had the same “oh shit” thought you did and stopped updating it. Maybe just keep the data of make, model, and serial. Also need to use an under the radar name for the sheet instead of something obvious like “gun inventory” that I used.

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Ditto.

She doesn’t even know about the two ARs I recently “accumulated”. I said they were just gun parts, which was kinda the truth.
She doesn’t like those at all, but most anything else won’t bother her.

2 minutes ago, 686 said:

I started a spreadsheet awhile back too and then had the same “oh shit” thought you did and stopped updating it. Maybe just keep the data of make, model, and serial. Also need to use an under the radar name for the sheet instead of something obvious like “gun inventory” that I used.

Try “Miscellaneous Hobbies”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just made the font in the cost/value cells white.   

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

She doesn’t like those at all, but most anything else won’t bother her.

Same. We were having a convo with another couple once (a teacher we vacation with) not long after the tragedy in Uvalde.  They brought up ARs knowing I have a collection of different firearms, and hunt with the kids, etc. (they are from Cali, don’t do guns) Wife says, “oh he doesn’t have any ARs”. Well…we have one or two, honey. (of several calibers, in several brands, muttered under my breath).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 686 said:

A buddy of mine has his FFL and does some gun sales as a side business. A work acquaintance of his calls him a few weeks ago and says “Hey, my FIL just passed and he had a lot of guns, no one else in the fam knows anything about them, can you help me?” Buddy says sure let me come take a look:

ebd6ff5b8b4047e03f3edebaff8448a0.jpg

53465f0af69acc9f58025d105f134344.jpg

de6fed57ebf4f95ddda4c7ad46c995ad.jpg

28de3f2ba544358515127764b991c358.jpg

c73068ef39349f0ebb157915ab20e900.jpg

And there is more. Over 750 firearms. Gun stuff filling a 2 car garage. Modest house, people weren’t what you would think of as wealthy at all. Highlights included a Krieghoff and a professionally restored Parker, ten pre-64 winchesters, 40 (!) Sako Rhikimakis, some really nice Brownings, and I believe ~100 revolvers. As you can see, a lot still in boxes, some potentially never fired.

My buddy told the guy they needed to seriously consider opening a gun shop, but they ended up inventorying the guns and making a deal for the lot with a high end gun shop at 70% of appraised retail. Don’t know what the number was but had to be north of $500k, maybe north of $750.

Buddy said it was completely overwhelming, and the guy would get kind of paranoid sometimes and hard to work with (didn’t know anything about guns, didn’t really want to learn, but paranoid of selling too cheap, etc.)

Just a complete odyssey looking at someone’s life’s work all in one room.

I knew a guy who had well over 1000 firearms. He had so many, he bricked in a 40' container and put a safe door on the front. Years ago when AR prices went nuts I ask him about selling some of his. He said he had at least 28 of them. When I told him if he sold them he could clear $70K he told me he was going to wait until they were outlawed and sell them before the ban went into effect because they would be worth more. For someone so gun smart, he was a dumbass. And I think the gun hoarding scenario is more common than most people think. I know a few people who have a LOT of guns and like you said, most people keep it quiet for security purposes.

I knew a guy who had well over 1000 firearms. He had so many, he bricked in a 40' container and put a safe door on the front. Years ago when AR prices went nuts I ask him about selling some of his. He said he had at least 28 of them. When I told him if he sold them he could clear $70K he told me he was going to wait until they were outlawed and sell them before the ban went into effect because they would be worth more. For someone so gun smart, he was a dumbass. And I think the gun hoarding scenario is more common than most people think. I know a few people who have a LOT of guns and like you said, most people keep it quiet for security purposes.

At least your guy did something secure (sea container with vault door). I just cant imagine >$500k of guns in a residential garage. In addition to the easy theft, I mean what if your wife/kids catch the house on fire, etc? How do you travel without constantly worrying about your stuff?

10 minutes ago, 686 said:

At least your guy did something secure (sea container with vault door). I just cant imagine >$500k of guns in a residential garage. In addition to the easy theft, I mean what if your wife/kids catch the house on fire, etc? How do you travel without constantly worrying about your stuff?

Just the rifles you listed, there’s nothing there under ~1250. The revolvers probably considerably more.  I know I got a hankering for an old snake gun awhile back and whew, $$$. I’ve also been keeping eye for another old sako .222, it’s $1500 to even get started right now. That’s in lots of handling mark and blueing wear condition. Considerably more to get nice wood, Bofors marked barrel, etc and youre well north of 2k, where other options open up.  We all know what pre-64’s are commanding.  This guys family has some serious coin coming there way.   Newest trend I just don’t understand, old 700’s and 7’s going for 4-5x what they sold for. 

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You need two sheets, kind of a his and hers. Be sure someone lets her know there are two when you give up the ghost.

21 minutes ago, 686 said:

Yeah but I hear all kinds of stories about guys just like the one you know. Rooms/houses full of guns. The guy I took my ccl class from lived in an old double wide and had several more on his property. I think he had 8 gun safes on his property and probably had several hundred thousand $$$ in guns. He probably had some buried too. He carried 3 guns on his person at all times, even while he was in his house. And he had at least 5 rifles in his vehicle. He definitely liked guns. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Newest trend I just don’t understand, old 700’s and 7’s going for 4-5x what they sold for. 

I've been seeing that...as recently as this weekend in a couple of auctions I was observing.

Gently used 700's from the 70's and 80's selling for $1000-$1500.......PLUS ~20% buyer's premium, plus shipping, plus taxes.  

I guess I could see it more from the 7's or non-standard chamberings, but the 700 BDLs originally bought off the rack at J.C. Penny or Oshman's commanding that much attention confound me.

I've got a couple of them, still new in the box that belonged to my father - He never got around to shooting them and I've never been a 700 guy (70 holla!) so I've just kept them in the boxes and wiped down.  My great-grandkids will be really happy if this keeps up.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Don’t forget Remington had a recall on the 700 trigger groups. 
Son had his replaced several years ago.

His BDL from 1984 is still a beautiful gun.

Yep - That's another reason I haven't messed with them.  I'm not a fan of the old Remington 2-position safety and don't want to screw with the trigger either - I did have the factory replace one for me on a special purpose rifle I will shoot occasionally when needed - but I think I'm going to leave these NIB and let a buyer screw with it after I'm dead and gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

I called my insurance agent and he’s working up some options for me, maybe an endorsement to cover them all, maybe scheduling some of the more expensive ones. Mostly for theft, my homeowners personal property limit should cover them for fire, etc.

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Gently used 700's from the 70's and 80's selling for $1000-$1500.......PLUS ~20% buyer's premium, plus shipping, plus taxes.  

I've got 2 I'm watching right now that are very likely both going to end up over 2k.  Oddball calibers but if they stay where they are, I'll likely pick one of them up.  I'll give the 700 the respek it deserves, but they aren't my favorite either.  I do, however, like the 7's. But so few of those around it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for. I have a gorgeous .243 Model 7 with very good wood (for a Rem).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 686 said:

I called my insurance agent and he’s working up some options for me, maybe an endorsement to cover them all, maybe scheduling some of the more expensive ones. Mostly for theft, my homeowners personal property limit should cover them for fire, etc.

I realized about 18 months ago that I was over $100,000 in total value and my homeowners only covered less than $1,000, so I bought a separate forearms policy from Gun and Trophy for really cheap. Something like $300 or $400. 

Then my wife decided a few months ago to swap out all of our insurance and ended up switching our homeowners to USAA. They increased the firearms limit to $200,000 for something like $100 in additional annual premium.

Point is, insurance is extremely cheap compared to having to replace all your guns. 

The only issue with USAA was that I had to do an inventory with serial numbers and estimated values... so Mrs CL saw the number and didn't flinch at all. She was surprisingly cool about it. I think I have to keep her now. 

• Like 2

So, one thing I’ll add.  When I was putting together that list, I also added the glass, and what needed to be updated, what I want to update it with, what didn’t have any at all etc.   I went on a pretty good run about 18 months ago where I bought enough rifles that this year might just be glass.  It adds up very quick.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I realized about 18 months ago that I was over $100,000 in total value and my homeowners only covered less than $1,000, so I bought a separate forearms policy from Gun and Trophy for really cheap. Something like $300 or $400.

I'm about to move some coverage over to them as well I think.  How was their customer service.  Was it a hassle when you get into those dollars?

@crimsonlonghorn I think you’re getting a good deal - my Farmers agent said:
“Scheduling the highest valued rifle ($6k) will run $71/year, no deductible and all-risk type coverage. If we then add $14K to gun value coverage the premium increases by a total of $175 (full term premium change).”

I’ll keep shopping it.

5 hours ago, 686 said:

@crimsonlonghorn I think you’re getting a good deal - my Farmers agent said:
“Scheduling the highest valued rifle ($6k) will run $71/year, no deductible and all-risk type coverage. If we then add $14K to gun value coverage the premium increases by a total of $175 (full term premium change).”

I’ll keep shopping it.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1.) Having been an off and on customer of USAA for the ~20 years I've been married, they've provided some good deals and service that I have been surprised by. This wasn't the first time. Maybe this is just another one of those USAA things like the time I was pleasantly surprised by our new roof after Ike. 

2.) We have multiple houses, multiple vehicles, and a ton of other stuff to insure in addition to the normal homeowners insurance. Like I said, my wife took on our insurance consolidation and bundling as project to be tackled. I am quite certain there are some volume discounts and economies of scale floating around in there that are tied to the amount of other stuff being insured, along with some haggling from Mrs CL the attorney. 

3.) As much as I don't understand USAA in a good way, my experience with the insurance industry in general is equally hard to understand in a bad way. That industry is infuriating to me with the scams they run on people ("That's not a flood, it's surface water... and you're not covered for it!") and the way they just pop up out of the blue and ask for more money (It's called a "premium audit"). I'm not surprised that one company would be so different than another. Definitely shop around more. 

OK that was three things. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

When we bought our house a few years ago, I asked about the guns and of course had to give an estimate of the total value. Life pro tip for all of you single fellows, have that conversation without your wife present if at all possible. At the very best it's an invitation for her to spend a bunch of money on clothes or shoes that she won't wear after one season.

Some of my most "valuable" guns are old beat up family guns that can't be replaced (you should see the muzzle crown on my grandad's pre 64 .30-30 that he always stuck muzzle down in the floorboard of his truck), but I'd like to be able to replace them with the same model and caliber if anything happened to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think the worst is she divorces you and takes half of them. Or you are forced to sell them during the settlement.

Meh.  The kids are attached to a dozen of them or so, so hopefully she wouldn't want to wreck that.  If me purchasing a new P-gun without telling her caused the divorce, HA. But yeah I could see where that could get difficult in certain instances.  Over the last 15 years, they're mostly all just pretty pieces of wood and metal that make loud noises. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A buddy of mine has his FFL and does some gun sales as a side business. A work acquaintance of his calls him a few weeks ago and says “Hey, my FIL just passed and he had a lot of guns, no one else in the fam knows anything about them, can you help me?” Buddy says sure let me come take a look:

ebd6ff5b8b4047e03f3edebaff8448a0.jpg

53465f0af69acc9f58025d105f134344.jpg

de6fed57ebf4f95ddda4c7ad46c995ad.jpg

28de3f2ba544358515127764b991c358.jpg

c73068ef39349f0ebb157915ab20e900.jpg

And there is more. Over 750 firearms. Gun stuff filling a 2 car garage. Modest house, people weren’t what you would think of as wealthy at all. Highlights included a Krieghoff and a professionally restored Parker, ten pre-64 winchesters, 40 (!) Sako Rhikimakis, some really nice Brownings, and I believe ~100 revolvers. As you can see, a lot still in boxes, some potentially never fired.

My buddy told the guy they needed to seriously consider opening a gun shop, but they ended up inventorying the guns and making a deal for the lot with a high end gun shop at 70% of appraised retail. Don’t know what the number was but had to be north of $500k, maybe north of $750.

Buddy said it was completely overwhelming, and the guy would get kind of paranoid sometimes and hard to work with (didn’t know anything about guns, didn’t really want to learn, but paranoid of selling too cheap, etc.)

Just a complete odyssey looking at someone’s life’s work all in one room.

Does your buddy need help with this? We’ll come buy it all.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1